Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Any computer techs on this site?

Danneedsrvnow

Hopefully this is the appropriate place for this question. Although not an urgent matter, it is however annoying. I know there are many pc gamers here that will agree! I will first add that I am not very knowledgeable with computers & on my own subject, I have searched for the answer & have pretty much gained more questions. On to my question/questions:

I have an older pc....I will buy a new one when this blasted rv happens! My pc has a Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics driver. Upon researching, I have come to to conclusion that not being able to play some (not all) pc games MAY have to do with the graphics driver. Some games however I still will not be able to play of course, due to other limitations such as RAM, etc.

It would seem that the last update on the driver was in 2005. It would also seem the driver had become obsolete years ago & there are no longer updates for the driver. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now with that all said.....is there a replacement graphics driver thats compatible with my computer/driver? Dell Latitude D600    Microsoft Windows XP

Please don't ask me what games I am hoping to play. I had tried many & could not because of the graphics card/ or driver. Maybe there is no hope for my entertainment, I don't really know....that's why I have posted here.

Please don't be hard on me if I really have no idea what I'm talking about on any of the above info.

Thanks

Edited by Danneedsrvnow

Hopefully this is the appropriate place for this question. Although not an urgent matter, it is however annoying. I know there are many pc gamers here that will agree! I will first add that I am not very knowledgeable with computers & on my own subject, I have searched for the answer & have pretty much gained more questions. On to my question/questions:

I have an older pc....I will buy a new one when this blasted rv happens! My pc has a Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics driver. Upon researching, I have come to to conclusion that not being able to play some (not all) pc games MAY have to do with the graphics driver. Some games however I still will not be able to play of course, due to other limitations such as RAM, etc.

It would seem that the last update on the driver was in 2005. It would also seem the driver had become obsolete years ago & there are no longer updates for the driver. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now with that all said.....is there a replacement graphics driver thats compatible with my computer/driver? Dell Latitude D600    Microsoft Windows XP

Please don't ask me what games I am hoping to play. I had tried many & could not because of the graphics card/ or driver. Maybe there is no hope for my entertainment, I don't really know....that's why I have posted here.

Please don't be hard on me if I really have no idea what I'm talking about on any of the above info.

Thanks

Hello.

You might want to read this before making YOUR OWN DECISIONS.   I am, at no time, advising you to do this, however, this is a step in the right direction that I would take, if I were looking for and updated driver to the aforementioned card .  Good luck.  Go RV.

http://hardwaredata.org/index.php?driver=108321

I have been doing Tech support for close to 10 years.......

Seems like it is a ATI graphics card, either the dell site might have it or you can possibly check on the ATI website. There are drivers out there for it somewhere just have to look... 

There will be no driver that will make that graphics card any better. a radeon graphics card is just that an old outdated card the drivers do not offer that much difference in how the card acts (in the sense of making it "better")... you can go out and purchase a newer video card that is more updated and may allow the newer games to work alot better. and you can find that online or at best buy, or any kind of store that would have PC components. 

Replace the graphics card.

Get one with 1 gig of onboard RAM.

It seems like part of your problem might

be that the computer is using too much of

the system RAM when playing the games.

Like someone said earlier, updating drivers

on an older graphics cards does only so much.

What the Parrot said! :lol:

-

I work as a help desk and hardware tech for "federal agency". (But it has more than 3 letters for it's acronym *lol*)

Your operating system (OS) being XP (No longer supported by M$ as of April 2014 - and very limited support now) is what's really going to be the hardest part.  Drivers are build to be compatable with a specific OS. Since this OS is 3 generations behind, there is no incentive for hardware manufactuers to support new drivers.

It also looks like Dell stopped supporting your platform - the D600 - in 2011. 

It also appears that WIN 7 and 8 do not support that graphics processor.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...

Unfortunately not that easy.  The graphics card for the D600 is integrated onto the motherboard.  It's not a seperate video card actually - it is a graphics chipset that is soldered to the board. This holds true for most laptops, even today. About the only way to upgrade a video chipset is to get a new motherboard, which is generally 50-80% of the cost of a new laptop.

Would still most likely require upgrading the OS also.

I work as a help desk and hardware tech for "federal agency". (But it has more than 3 letters for it's acronym *lol*)

Your operating system (OS) being XP (No longer supported by M$ as of April 2014 - and very limited support now) is what's really going to be the hardest part.  Drivers are build to be compatable with a specific OS. Since this OS is 3 generations behind, there is no incentive for hardware manufactuers to support new drivers.

It also looks like Dell stopped supporting your platform - the D600 - in 2011. 

It also appears that WIN 7 and 8 do not support that graphics processor.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...

Unfortunately not that easy.  The graphics card for the D600 is integrated onto the motherboard.  It's not a seperate video card actually - it is a graphics chipset that is soldered to the board. This holds true for most laptops, even today. About the only way to upgrade a video chipset is to get a new motherboard, which is generally 50-80% of the cost of a new laptop.

Would still most likely require upgrading the OS also.

Tankdude is right XP will no longer be supported and the fact that your PC model and video card is outdated (I didnt check the actual specs on the PC and did not know the card is embedded on the board).....and if the video card is embedded onto the mother board then you are out of luck my friend... your best bet would be to bite the bullet and get yourself a new(er) tower. 

Oh crap.

Sorry about that.

I completely spaced out on that one.

I should have put 2 and 2 together when

you mentioned the Mobility 9000 Series.

You're talking about a laptop...

My advice is pertinent to tower systems,

where you do have room for a graphics card

to be plugged in.

Feel free to slap me around and wake me up...

And just a quick side note...

I've fixed many TOWERS with dead

graphics CHIPS on the MB by simply

installing a graphics CARD.

Laptops, as someone stated above,

don't have that kind of flexibility.

No problem Mr Parrot - I've done the same thing with TONS of towers.  I think I just happend to catch that it was a laptop when he mentioned it was a Latitude series. I've worked on more ot those than I care to think about also. Could probably change the screen in my sleep...

Thanks

Since you are talking about playing games you have to take into consideration mainly:  memory, hard drives video card, sound card and processor. You could try this site out since it will tell you what you need and it will tell you requeirements by game.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

It will tell you by game what you will need.

Edited by dinar_stud

Last sunday Walmart had a toshiba laptop for 248 in the sunday newspaper flier. They offer special sales every now and then better than their regular prices. Got my Dell laptop for a similar price last yr. You have to call around and see which stores actually have them and then hurry and get one-specials limited to stock available.

Good luck.