Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Break through in "delete the zeroes" translation???

Hairball.....

Your still assuming though that the word leading, means nominal rate......

And if you want to make that relation, then the CBI is telling the world that they are gonna appreciate their currency by 1000 fold lol.....

Not gonna happen......it really doesnt change the meaning of anything in regards to deleting the zeros. Especially when they are specifically stating following in the steps of other countries that lopped....

Great thread, guys!  

Keep, just as a matter of clarity for me, when Iraq originally devalued, did they devalue by 1000%?  Or was it 3500%  

• Upvote 1

Should anyone care to Google..SGIR Quarterly report,July 2010 pg.99 it might help in clearing up what "delete the zeros" means.

'pocono',

Good evening!

I googled the document you mentioned in your post, page 99 of the .pdf July 2010 SGIR Quarterly Report as evidenced in the excerpt below:

Dinar Re-denomination

The CBI has announced that it intends to implement a long-planned re denomination of the Iraqi dinar by eliminating three zeros from the nominal
value of bank notes.This process is meant to ease commercial transactions by reducing errors and confusion that hyper-inflated currencies often cause.
Now that Iraq’s inflation rate has achieved a level of stability, the move could serve to bolster  confidence in the country’s currency.
The re-denomination process is set to begin in late 2010 and take two years to complete.

The CBI has pegged the exchange rate since January 2009 at 1,170 Iraqi dinars to 1 U.S. dollar, and has held interest rates at 6% since April 2010.
(July 30, 2010, Report to Congress)

Well, I am am in this thing for the long haul and I still remain hopeful that we will get somewhat of a healthy return on what we've all invested.

Have a good evening!

GG

• Upvote 2

'pocono',

Good evening!

I googled the document you mentioned in your post, page 99 of the .pdf July 2010 SGIR Quarterly Report as evidenced in the excerpt below:

Dinar Re-denomination

The CBI has announced that it intends to implement a long-planned re denomination of the Iraqi dinar by eliminating three zeros from the nominal

value of bank notes.This process is meant to ease commercial transactions by reducing errors and confusion that hyper-inflated currencies often cause.

Now that Iraq’s inflation rate has achieved a level of stability, the move could serve to bolster  confidence in the country’s currency.

The re-denomination process is set to begin in late 2010 and take two years to complete.

The CBI has pegged the exchange rate since January 2009 at 1,170 Iraqi dinars to 1 U.S. dollar, and has held interest rates at 6% since April 2010.

Well, I am am in this thing for the long haul and I still remain hopeful that we will get somewhat of a healthy return on what we've all invested.

Have a good evening!

GG[/quote

Hey GoldenG, a blast from the past...... It is really nice to see you on board and just as polite as you you always were !!!!!!!

Great thread, guys!  

Keep, just as a matter of clarity for me, when Iraq originally devalued, did they devalue by 1000%?  Or was it 3500%

Good one Nelg, I like that one!!! I didn't get to comment on the thread to your website the other day , I just wanted to tell you your art is beautiful, to many great works to pick a favorite even though the sunflower stood out to me, they were all beautiful .

• Upvote 2

Good one Nelg, I like that one!!! I didn't get to comment on the thread to your website the other day , I just wanted to tell you your art is beautiful, to many great works to pick a favorite even though the sunflower stood out to me, they were all beautiful 

Thanks for the comment about my artwork.  It was removed quickly because it did not fit into the guidelines of DV, which I understand.  I was hoping to get comments like your to use in a publicity campaign.  Again, thanks.  

'pocono',

Good evening!

Dinar Re-denomination

Have a good evening!

GG[/quote

Hey GoldenG, a blast from the past...... It is really nice to see you on board and just as polite as you you always were !!!!!!!

Good one Nelg, I like that one!!! I didn't get to comment on the thread to your website the other day , I just wanted to tell you your art is beautiful, to many great works to pick a favorite even though the sunflower stood out to me, they were all beautiful .

'Shelly',

Good evening and thank you for the compliment!

Yes, sometimes a long break from the same old song and dance is a good thing.......felt like I was locked in a wash machine spin cycle there for a while!!!

Good to be on board and reviewing the many "enlightening" recent developments and articles.

Have a good night!

GG

• Upvote 1

The issue has never been one of translation but one of the true meaning of the translation. It got me to thinking about how to find out the meaning of the words in Arabic. So here is what I did...

Knowing that dictionaries give us the meaning of words, I thought about trying to look up the meanings of the words in Arabic. I went to dictionary.com and found the section where you can translate words and phrases from one language to another. I set the translation parameters at "English to Arabic" and typed in the phrase "delete the zeroes" and hit translate. What I got back was this " حذف الاصفار". I then switched the parameters from "English to Arabic", copied and pasted the Arabic phrase "حذف الاصفار" and hit translate. The result almost knocked me off my chair! The result was..."leading zeroes"!!!!

You can try this for yourself folks by going to dictionary.com and following the above directions....GO RV BABY!!!!

Hairball I always appreciate it when someone tries to look at this from a different angle... Thank You.

I was just reading another thread and by gosh this person from another site is saying "leading" zeros"!

Don't really know of this person but I'm curious... did you post this on his site or did he take it out of this thread?

I guess stranger things have happened and he could have just by chance chosen to do the same thing you did, on the same day. :rolleyes:

Anyways I thought you'd find this interesting if you didn't already know about it. :)

"Tlar: , although the end result will be similar as both countries deleted the zeros, the act of Iraq doing so will be completely different from the way Turkey did it. In Turkey we see a true lop of the zeros off the currency bills themselves. 

Iraq does not intend to knock the zeros off the currency, but rather they will knock the "leading" zeros off the exchange rate (nominal rate". icon_wink.gif Of course then they will introduce the new lower denominations in which the zeros are removed. 

Iraq has stated the old currency will be at the new rate and will still be usable for at least the next two years. Removing 3 zeros from the exchange rate makes the rate .86. Effectively making a 1000 dinar note worth $860 dollars". 

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/157233-tlar-they-are-insinuating-big-change-in-currency-08082013/#ixzz2bQmoWtGu

• Upvote 2

Hairball I always appreciate it when someone tries to look at this from a different angle... Thank You.

I was just reading another thread and by gosh this person from another site is saying "leading" zeros"!

Don't really know of this person but I'm curious... did you post this on his site or did he take it out of this thread?

I guess stranger things have happened and he could have just by chance chosen to do the same thing you did, on the same day. :rolleyes:

Anyways I thought you'd find this interesting if you didn't already know about it. :)

"Tlar: , although the end result will be similar as both countries deleted the zeros, the act of Iraq doing so will be completely different from the way Turkey did it. In Turkey we see a true lop of the zeros off the currency bills themselves. 

Iraq does not intend to knock the zeros off the currency, but rather they will knock the "leading" zeros off the exchange rate (nominal rate". icon_wink.gif Of course then they will introduce the new lower denominations in which the zeros are removed. 

Iraq has stated the old currency will be at the new rate and will still be usable for at least the next two years. Removing 3 zeros from the exchange rate makes the rate .86. Effectively making a 1000 dinar note worth $860 dollars". 

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/157233-tlar-they-are-insinuating-big-change-in-currency-08082013/#ixzz2bQmoWtGu

Thanks Maggie for the kind words...

Actually Tlar has been using the term "leading zeroes" for quite some time so it's not really a huge coincidence. I don't wanna take up thread space pumping another site but I read Tlar's take on most things as he's pretty logical and down to earth....imho. In fact, the reason why I was so stunned when "leading zeroes" came up as the translation is because Tlar has been using the phrase for quite a while because of articles he has read that included the phrase. Really, the entire theory is part of Dinar Alert's site. Kap and crew has access to an Arabic translator and they have allegedly confirmed the meaning of the phrase as well.

It was really a shot in the dark on my part as I had no idea what to expect when I typed the words in...I was just looking for meaning and not necessarily a translation. I think what I discovered merely backs up what Tlar has been saying. I'll see if I can't dig up those articles with the phrase in them.  

Edited by Hairball51
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Anybody who has studied another language can tell you that you can't get the correct meaning by doing a literal word for word translation.  You have to learn to translate thought for thought.  For example, if you want to say "what does it mean?" in Spanish you say "que quiere decir?" which literally means "what does it want to say?"  If you go with the literal translation you end up with a completely different meaning.

I contend that precedent is the best basis for understanding the meaning of "delete the zeros".  Can anybody produce one case of a country that announced they would delete zeros from their currency that didn't do a standard re-denomination?

• Upvote 3

Anybody who has studied another language can tell you that you can't get the correct meaning by doing a literal word for word translation.  You have to learn to translate thought for thought.  For example, if you want to say "what does it mean?" in Spanish you say "que quiere decir?" which literally means "what does it want to say?"  If you go with the literal translation you end up with a completely different meaning.

I contend that precedent is the best basis for understanding the meaning of "delete the zeros".  Can anybody produce one case of a country that announced they would delete zeros from their currency that didn't do a standard re-denomination?

" Can anybody produce one case etc"

Law school 101...never ask a witness a question unless you already know the answer..

Doc Robbins I suspect that you already know the answer..

• Upvote 1

Very true.....we all want them to be saying something else, but they definitely are not.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Everyone knows that the issue we debate every single day a new article comes out is the issue concerning the translation of the phrase "delete the zeroes" and what it means. I may have just stumbled upon something pretty remarkable yet so simple...let me explain.

The issue has never been one of translation but one of the true meaning of the translation. It got me to thinking about how to find out the meaning of the words in Arabic. So here is what I did...

Knowing that dictionaries give us the meaning of words, I thought about trying to look up the meanings of the words in Arabic. I went to dictionary.com and found the section where you can translate words and phrases from one language to another. I set the translation parameters at "English to Arabic" and typed in the phrase "delete the zeroes" and hit translate. What I got back was this " حذف الاصفار". I then switched the parameters from "English to Arabic", copied and pasted the Arabic phrase "حذف الاصفار" and hit translate. The result almost knocked me off my chair! The result was..."leading zeroes"!!!!

See, a translation in Google just tells us the English words but it doesn't give us meaning...only dictionaries do! So the meaning of the phrase "delete the zeroes" is translated "leading zeroes"!  This is a game changer folks! This means the nominal value! Every time they have been mentioning "delete the zeroes", they have been meaning the "leading zeroes" from the nominal rate which turns .00086 to .86!!!! 

You can try this for yourself folks by going to dictionary.com and following the above directions....GO RV BABY!!!!

OK this got a plus 30.

Poor Sandstorm got -18. 'Course he asked for it - LOL

Just a question: where's the verb?

You see, "deleting" has a distinct verb.

Your translation, Hairball, has no real verb. Could be a participle, or adjective - the zeros are "leading"?

Meaning the zeros in the nominal rate...OK - but there is no VERB in your translation that says "deleting the leading zeros" - it just says "leading zeros"

This may deserve more research...

Crybaby

Calling names again.

The extent of suk-sess' rhetorical abilities - revealed yet again....

Hairball.....

Your still assuming though that the word leading, means nominal rate......

And if you want to make that relation, then the CBI is telling the world that they are gonna appreciate their currency by 1000 fold lol.....

Not gonna happen......it really doesnt change the meaning of anything in regards to deleting the zeros. Especially when they are specifically stating following in the steps of other countries that lopped....

Agree with Keep here

Edited by hame55
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Maggie for the kind words...

Actually Tlar has been using the term "leading zeroes" for quite some time so it's not really a huge coincidence. I don't wanna take up thread space pumping another site but I read Tlar's take on most things as he's pretty logical and down to earth....imho. In fact, the reason why I was so stunned when "leading zeroes" came up as the translation is because Tlar has been using the phrase for quite a while because of articles he has read that included the phrase. Really, the entire theory is part of Dinar Alert's site. Kap and crew has access to an Arabic translator and they have allegedly confirmed the meaning of the phrase as well.

It was really a shot in the dark on my part as I had no idea what to expect when I typed the words in...I was just looking for meaning and not necessarily a translation. I think what I discovered merely backs up what Tlar has been saying. I'll see if I can't dig up those articles with the phrase in them.  

Thank You... makes perfect sense now. :)

To be honest "leading" "raising" "deleting" zeros... just does not make a difference to me right now.

What counts will be the end result... Just being patient and waiting to see how this adventure (which has been quite fun) unfolds.

Please don't go to any trouble to dig up any articles for me... I've probably read them all and am still going... huh??? :)

• Upvote 1

Very true.....we all want them to be saying something else, but they definitely are not.....

I been watching and saying nothing, but I just got a call from a source I can't divulge (TerryK?) that says....

Doc and Keep... all sitting in a tree.... K...I...S...S...I...N...G

I always suspected a connection, but playing Doctor Backwards? WOW... would never have (well, never mind).

• Upvote 1

No difference really.....nominal rate/value.....

Where did you get "leading" equals the nominal rate/value anyways?

Hey Keep...sorry brother for not getting back to you. Its been hit or miss for me lately and I'm trying to comment when I can. However, I would like to answer your question. This is from Wikipedia but I've seen this elsewhere too. "Leading zeroes" are used by certain computer programs, like the Forex system.

"A leading zero is any 0 digit that leads a number string in positional notation. For example, James Bond's famous identifier, 007, has two leading zeros. Leading zeros occupy most significant digits, which could be left blank or omitted for the same numeric value. Usual decimal notation of integers does not use leading zeros except for the zero itself, which would be denoted as an empty stringotherwise.

Often, leading zeros are found on non-electronic digital displays or on such electronic ones as seven-segment displays, that contain fixed sets of digits. These devices include manual counters,stopwatches, odometers, and digital clocks. Leading zeros are also generated by many older computer programs when creating values to assign to new records, accounts and other files, and as such are likely to be used by utility billing systems, human resources information systems and government databases."

The word leading just doesnt fit.....it doesnt go with the rest of whats being said. There are words that will not directly translate in all languages, but it doesnt change what the CBI is saying. Its really a matter of if you think you know or you want them.to.say something they arent.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

The word leading just doesnt fit.....it doesnt go with the rest of whats being said. There are words that will not directly translate in all languages, but it doesnt change what the CBI is saying. Its really a matter of if you think you know or you want them.to.say something they arent.

I know what you mean Keep...they've been telling us different things for so long it's hard to keep things straight sometimes. Maybe they're trying to throw us off for reasons you yourself have stated...they would be insane to come out and announce it. Perhaps every once in awhile someone lets something slip. I do think though that any discussion about "leading zeros" has to be seen as a direct reference to the exchange rate. It's the only figure that has leading zeros... .00086

I don't know...let's just hope for the best!

one word wonder

lol. But you've got to admit it's a beautiful word.

Agreed Doc.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 2

I know what you mean Keep...they've been telling us different things for so long it's hard to keep things straight sometimes. Maybe they're trying to throw us off for reasons you yourself have stated...they would be insane to come out and announce it. Perhaps every once in awhile someone lets something slip. I do think though that any discussion about "leading zeros" has to be seen as a direct reference to the exchange rate. It's the only figure that has leading zeros... .00086

I don't know...let's just hope for the best!

What you translated doesnt say "deleting the leading zeros" it just translates to leading. So when you put it together, its incorrect. If you look and focus on only one word, you lose the purpose/meaning of the entire idea. This deleting the zeros plan has not changed since it was first put on the table years ago. Dont you think that if they were saying something else, that all the english news agencies would pick up on it? Not only that, but especially someone like XE.com which is a huge currency website? Thats their job, their purpose, and they are able to understand/translate that they are talking about redenominating.

It would be like the lotto commission giving out the winning numbers weeks in advance so everyone can buy those winning numbers....its just not plausible....

I know we all want it to be that way....especially the ones who are financially desperate....but desperation does not change reality unfortunately....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2