Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Japan Marks 68th Anniversary of Hiroshima Bombing

umbertino

That actually has me quite worried at the moment. I'm only here until year's end before I head home,  but knowing that I've been here since it happened has me worried about future effects.

I highly doubt the Japanese nor US governments are telling us the full story.

Exactly! This is a greater catastrophe than Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Polluting the entire world.

JMHO

WM13 

That actually has me quite worried at the moment. I'm only here until year's end before I head home,  but knowing that I've been here since it happened has me worried about future effects.

I highly doubt the Japanese nor US governments are telling us the full story.

you need to be checked out  ASAP when u get back to the states. I fear for your health and yes i believe the Japanese and U.S government has lied about the seriousness of the radiation leaks and exposing the citizens to it.

• Upvote 2

you need to be checked out  ASAP when u get back to the states. I fear for your health and yes i believe the Japanese and U.S government has lied about the seriousness of the radiation leaks and exposing the citizens to it.

Thanks for the words. I'm actually more scared for my wife's health. She already has graves disease (hyperthyroidism) and I'm praying the radiation doesn't affect her.

All we can do is pray at this point.

• Upvote 1

I don't believe you were speaking to me. If you were, did you notice that you wrote in English, not Japanese or German?

We speak English due to a large part of British imperialism. And perhaps we continue to speak English due to "winning" WWII.

Still doesn't make things moral nor excusable nor justifiable. If they do, I'd like to know how . . .

War: the excuse and justification to throw morals to the side even though there are alternatives that will lead to the same, if not better results.

Tell me, Are you OK with killing children in drone attacks to catch one bad guy? How about allowing the same to happen in the US with American children?

We speak English due to a large part of British imperialism. And perhaps we continue to speak English due to "winning" WWII.

Still doesn't make things moral nor excusable nor justifiable. If they do, I'd like to know how . . .

War: the excuse and justification to throw morals to the side even though there are alternatives that will lead to the same, if not better results.

Tell me, Are you OK with killing children in drone attacks to catch one bad guy? How about allowing the same to happen in the US with American children?

rightsonword, none of us need a lecture.

Besides, your logic is quite faulty. You are inferring that every soldier who chose to defend his or her country was lacking in morality.

Have you been to war, my friend? Or are your premises coming from reading books? Tell us, do you think talking nice to Hitler could have stopped him?

Let's be real. Humanity is far from perfect. We are all still learning how to create a peaceful world. But the last, the very last thing we need are people who choose not to learn the lessons of history and, instead, simply dream ideals based on wishful thinking.

I don't believe you want to engage in a 'real-world' discussion on morality. One reason is, you can't point to a perfect world, except in your mind. Because, there is absolutely no place in history to support your contentions. And, yes, I very much believe in God and His teachings.

Please, let's leave this topic alone.

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for the words. I'm actually more scared for my wife's health. She already has graves disease (hyperthyroidism) and I'm praying the radiation doesn't affect her.

All we can do is pray at this point.

Sorry to hear about your wife's condition. I have treated a few people with Graves and Hashimotos. Please consider a totally Wheat/gluten-free diet. Studies indicate that the protein in wheat is similar in structure to the thyroid tissue. The body starts by attacking the wheat, but "loses direction" and begins to attack the thyroid (and other tissues). It wont hurt. In Japan, wheat-free soy sauce is called tamari. So anything with wheat in it, needs to be avoid. There is a book by a Dr. Kharasian (spelling) that is pretty complete. He wrote a book titled, "Why do I have thyroid symptoms when my tests are normal" or something to that effect. It explains about balancing the immune system (TH 1/TH2) with diet, things to do and avoid. Hope this helps.

Yeah, Japan poisoned themselves better than the Americans ever did!! So sad. We ALL will get the wonders of modern science now!

http://www.damninteresting.com/ww2-america-warned-hiroshima-and-nagasaki-citizens/

So easy to judge the past actions of people. I would venture to say that none of us were there. I would also venture to say that some of us had parents or grandparents that were involved in the fighting. When war is fought the idea is to break and destroy as much stuff as you can so as to stop the other guy. The US was doing that at a great expense of machine and man. When the A-bomb was finished and used it was a tool to end the war and further loss of US and Japanese lives. Calling people simpletons because of what they believe is uncalled for. The bombs served a purpose. My father witnessed 2 atomic bomb blasts and said it was the most frightening thing he had ever seen. Hindsight says it was not the best decision to make but the cold hard facts are that it was made. It has been a lesson to the world about the destruction the atom can do.

1. I called MYSELF a simpleton because I accept the "party-line" that was given for the justification of the use of a criminal weapon. I was addressing that to myself for being foolish enough to believe that crap.

2. Upon learning the "truth" of the matter, we find the claim that is was used to end the war to be totally false.

So, based upon the GIVEN justification and then weighed against the FACTS, we find that there was NO JUSTIFICATION for the use of those weapons upon civilian targets. If we had been told it was used to scare the Commie Russian, then I would have NO PROBLEM with its use (but not it its manner-destruction of a civilian target). It could have been dropped on Mt. Fuji or some open area off the coast. So again, if the REAL goal was to stop the Russians for going too far in their seizing of Japanese lands (and, by default their aims in Europe, which were just becoming exposed) then use it. No problem. But please don't claim it was used to end the war against Japan. This plainly  wasn't the case.

And, YES, I have been in combat-Beirut and Iraq (Papa Bush time) and my belly is full of it. Anyone who supports or, at the very least, advocates the killing of non-combatants, needs their heads examined. Talk with the Marines who saw the civilian deaths in Saipan/Guam and Okinawa.

Finally, I have no love for the Japanese of that time. Look at what they did in China. (THEIR war caused the death of 25% of my people (the highest casualty rate of any people during the war).  Almost as bad as the Nazis and YES they got what they deserved-the SOLDIERS got what they  deserved. Anyone wearing a uniform is far game in my book and I wouldn't even care if they surrendered. I'd still shoot them for their crimes. But I have no problem with mama-san and papa-san and little todomo san. What did they do? Why were they the target?

• Upvote 1

1. I called MYSELF a simpleton because I accept the "party-line" that was given for the justification of the use of a criminal weapon. I was addressing that to myself for being foolish enough to believe that crap.

2. Upon learning the "truth" of the matter, we find the claim that is was used to end the war to be totally false.

So, based upon the GIVEN justification and then weighed against the FACTS, we find that there was NO JUSTIFICATION for the use of those weapons upon civilian targets. If we had been told it was used to scare the Commie Russian, then I would have NO PROBLEM with its use (but not it its manner-destruction of a civilian target). It could have been dropped on Mt. Fuji or some open area off the coast. So again, if the REAL goal was to stop the Russians for going too far in their seizing of Japanese lands (and, by default their aims in Europe, which were just becoming exposed) then use it. No problem. But please don't claim it was used to end the war against Japan. This plainly  wasn't the case.

And, YES, I have been in combat-Beirut and Iraq (Papa Bush time) and my belly is full of it. Anyone who supports or, at the very least, advocates the killing of non-combatants, needs their heads examined. Talk with the Marines who saw the civilian deaths in Saipan/Guam and Okinawa.

Finally, I have no love for the Japanese of that time. Look at what they did in China. (THEIR war caused the death of 25% of my people (the highest casualty rate of any people during the war).  Almost as bad as the Nazis and YES they got what they deserved-the SOLDIERS got what they  deserved. Anyone wearing a uniform is far game in my book and I wouldn't even care if they surrendered. I'd still shoot them for their crimes. But I have no problem with mama-san and papa-san and little todomo san. What did they do? Why were they the target?

I am no historian. But, as you mentioned, much was learned about the fighting spirit of Japanese soldiers on Guam and Okinawa, as well as that of Kamikaze pilots, to support the belief that, if Japan was invaded, it would be a bloodbath.  

Also, there need not be an 'either/or' scenario concerning why the bombs were dropped. For, the aim of 'scaring' the Russians was indeed achieved simultaneous to ending the war. I believe this was part of the war planning all along.

BTW, I served during the Nam era in surgery. I've also seen enough blood.

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Upvote 1

I agree with all of you here, but Japan was an evil empire that started the war when they bombed Pearl Harbor. The leadership in Japan was responsible for the destruction of their citizens. The atomic bomb was necessary in destroying Japan's ruthless aggression towards us and many other countries. So before you start feeling sorry for them, realize what they did to millions of people. They got what they deserved.

Wrong again.

Good track record though. Consistent.

Read previous post again, then read about the history.

I see, so CHILDREN, BABIES got what they deserved? Never once did I support their actions (please show me where) and also, "Sorry for them?" What a laugh. where I come from we hate the SOBS (especially the older folks who remember their actions against civilians). However, it does not excuse murdering people with such a weapon, especially people that had nothing to do with the war. Again, read CORRECT history, not state-sponsored crap that they feed you in school. Research shows that the war was OVER before that and with the Russians invading Manchuria in August. Also, the uncondidtional surrender aspect which made the Nips question whether-or-not the Emperor (a war criminal) could retain his throne (which he did ANYWAYS!! Talk about WTF!). Finally, people are still suffering from the effects of radiation. Nothing like screwing people not even born during the war with a fit punishment? Yeah, real justice! Guess, we got even and then some

Look, when somebody says "they got what they deserved" and they pose with a gun in Texas...that should be enough.

I would not try to educate the man.

If you look it it coldly, it was terrorism - the killing of innocent civilians, men, women and babies, to make a military/political goal.

No different than Al Qaeda.

Umbertino, in that we can greatly agree.  I truly fear that with Iran and its goal for the destruction of Israel the lessons of nuclear war have not been learned.  If and when it happens again the fallout will probably kill more people than the bombs themselves and the bombs will level cities. 

Let me take a wild guess...you would support yet another war in the ME against Iran.

Thank you for your information and perspective. God knows it's needed here on DV

Especially in Texas

Edited by hame55
  • Upvote 1