Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Japan Marks 68th Anniversary of Hiroshima Bombing

umbertino

(HIROSHIMA, Japan) — Japan marked the 68th anniversary Tuesday of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima with a somber ceremony to honor the dead and pledges to seek to eliminate nuclear weapons.

Some 50,000 people stood for a minute of silence in Hiroshima’s peace park near the epicenter of the early morning blast on Aug. 6, 1945, that killed up to 140,000 people. The bombing of Nagasaki three days later killed tens of thousands more, prompting Japan’s surrender to the World War II Allies.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, among many dignitaries attending the event, said that as the sole country to face nuclear attack, Japan has the duty to seek to wipe out nuclear weapons.

The anniversary comes as Japan is torn over restarting nuclear power plants shut down since the massive earthquake and tsunami in 2011 damaged reactors at a plant in Fukushima, causing meltdowns. More than 100,000 people remain displaced because of radioactivity near the plant. Abe favors restarting plants under new safety guidelines, while many Japanese oppose such restarts.

There are over 200,000 “hibakusha,” victims from the atomic bombings, with an average age of nearly 79. Many gathered in Hiroshima to burn incense, bowing in prayer.

In a “peace declaration” speech, Hiroshima’s mayor, Kazumi Matsui, described the pain of those who survived, only to be shunned as contaminated by the radiation.

“The atomic bomb is the ultimate inhumane weapon and an absolute evil. The hibakusha, who know the hell of an atomic bombing, have continuously fought that evil,” he said.

Matsui chided the government for its efforts to restart the nuclear plants and to export nuclear technology to other countries.

“This summer, eastern Japan is still suffering the aftermath of the great earthquake and the nuclear accident. The desperate struggle to recover hometowns continues. The people of Hiroshima know well the ordeal of recovery,” Matsui said.

“We urge the national government to rapidly develop and implement a responsible energy policy that places top priority on safety and the livelihoods of the people,” he said.

A recent agreement on discussing nuclear energy cooperation with India, he said, would likely hinder efforts to abolish nuclear weapons.

The Hiroshima victims offered their support to those suffering from the accident in Fukushima, where the situation remains precarious following meltdowns of three reactors after the plant’s power systems were crippled by the tsunami.

The plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co., admits it is struggling to contain radiation-contaminated water as its storage facilities overflow.

___

Associated Press writer Elaine Kurtenbach contributed to this story from Tokyo.

• Upvote 2

Thank You Umbertino. +1

I read last year about this time that Japan was surrendering before the second bomb was dropped. :(

Not a proud moment in our history...  a time that Japan will never forget.

When I visited there the young ones seemed to want to be like the westerners, always giving us the peace sign...

the older people however... sometimes looked at us with distain... I could feel it and I knew why.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, a tragic event in HUMAN history. It didnt need to happen. A review of the facts shows that Japan surrendered when the Russians entered the war against them, that Japan was finished and knew it. It was only a matter of time before they quit. The A-bombs only destroyed human beings. I only hope and pray that we may never experience such events again. Dunno, just sayng.....Peace

• Upvote 3

I agree with all of you here, but Japan was an evil empire that started the war when they bombed Pearl Harbor. The leadership in Japan was responsible for the destruction of their citizens. The atomic bomb was necessary in destroying Japan's ruthless aggression towards us and many other countries. So before you start feeling sorry for them, realize what they did to millions of people. They got what they deserved.

• Downvote 1

I see, so CHILDREN, BABIES got what they deserved? Never once did I support their actions (please show me where) and also, "Sorry for them?" What a laugh. where I come from we hate the SOBS (especially the older folks who remember their actions against civilians). However, it does not excuse murdering people with such a weapon, especially people that had nothing to do with the war. Again, read CORRECT history, not state-sponsored crap that they feed you in school. Research shows that the war was OVER before that and with the Russians invading Manchuria in August. Also, the uncondidtional surrender aspect which made the Nips question whether-or-not the Emperor (a war criminal) could retain his throne (which he did ANYWAYS!! Talk about WTF!). Finally, people are still suffering from the effects of radiation. Nothing like screwing people not even born during the war with a fit punishment? Yeah, real justice! Guess, we got even and then some

• Upvote 2

I live here in Japan and have been to the Hiroshima atomic bomb museum. It is truly heart-wrenching seeing the destruction caused by the atomic bomb. I Hiroshima neat the museum, there is a famous building that remained standing, though only skeletal remains of it. It's a testimony of the destruction that occurred that day.

In the museum, you see artifacts and remains from the bombing:

- Metal and glass fused together and unto concrete due to the high temperatures from the bomb literally melting or vaporizing everything. If you vaporizes, you were lucky. Else, you suffered greatly from melted skin or melted glass and metal on your body.

- The deisgn patterns from the kimonos (flowers, stripes, etc.) were literally imprinted and burned unto the skin of the women fortunate enough to survive the blast.

- Those who survived the initial blast died shortly after due to their injuries and radiation.

- There are actual diaries written by school children as they were dying, not understanding what was going on.

- There are accounts from families having to bury their children, spouses, etc. Many times only finding an article of clothing they were wearing that day or a personal item they carried to work or school.

- There are blood stained clothing, personal items, skin from victims as it melted off their bodies, teeth, hair, tumors, etc.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but the Japanese had not surrendered at the time of the bombing. The museum never stated this and neither have I ever read it. Instead, the Japanese were not given any warning of neither the Hiroshima nor Nagasaki bombings nor were they given a chance to surrender before the Hiroshima bomb. They were given a chance after the bombing, but only a few days to accept the conditions of surrender, which they did not agree to as it would have severely limited their sovereignty, essentially no occupation of Japan. No negations took place until after the bomb on Nagasaki and after the Russians declared war on Japan.

It is of my opinion, and many historians, that the bombings were not necessary in any capacity. Japan was on it's final leg: no oil, money, materials, etc. Then Russian declared war on Japan. They were done and the Japanese knew this and were discussing surrendering. Rather, the bombs were used as a deterrent by the United States to Russia, nothing more.

In war, there are no innocent parties and there is evil done by all sides. The bombing, imo, was an evil act. A military wanting to try a new weapon and cause fear into their newest enemy: Russia.

Now, I have absolutely no doubt, considering the Japanese human rights track record during WWII, that they would have used the bomb indiscriminately had they had technology. I also have no doubt that the Germans or the Russians would have done the same if they had the technology. My post is not anti-US, as history shows that every country has done despicable things during war. Rather, it's to bring humanity to the situation and to show that not every act in war is necessary.

Anywho, I highly recommend visiting the bomb museum in Hiroshima. It's a somber reminder of the sensitivity of life and how each of us will die someday, whether by war, disease, famine, or simply old age.

• Upvote 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23584008

Fukushima radioactive water leak an 'emergency'

6 August 2013 Last updated at 02:44 ET

Japan's nuclear watchdog has said the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is facing a new "emergency" caused by a build-up of radioactive groundwater.

A barrier built to contain the water has already been breached, the Nuclear Regulatory Authority warned.

This means the amount of contaminated water seeping into the Pacific Ocean could accelerate rapidly, it said.

Not looking good at Fukushima

WM13

Edited by waterman13

Thank you for your post Rightsonword... everyone here could probably learn a lot by reading it.

It must be chilling to see the museum in Hiroshima and the surrounding area.

I can imagine that it would be a pretty profound experience that stays with you forever.

Your views of what happened go far deeper than what I was reading... and even that was not anything like I was taught during history while in school.

Thank you again for your passionate and (I believe) far more accurate account of the events and motivations around the bombings.

"Correct me if I am mistaken, but the Japanese had not surrendered at the time of the bombing. The museum never stated this and neither have I ever read it. Instead, the Japanese were not given any warning of neither the Hiroshima nor Nagasaki bombings nor were they given a chance to surrender before the Hiroshima bomb. They were given a chance after the bombing, but only a few days to accept the conditions of surrender, which they did not agree to as it would have severely limited their sovereignty, essentially no occupation of Japan. No negations took place until after the bomb on Nagasaki and after the Russians declared war on Japan.

It is of my opinion, and many historians, that the bombings were not necessary in any capacity. Japan was on it's final leg: no oil, money, materials, etc. Then Russian declared war on Japan. They were done and the Japanese knew this and were discussing surrendering. Rather, the bombs were used as a deterrent by the United States to Russia, nothing more.

In war, there are no innocent parties and there is evil done by all sides. The bombing, imo, was an evil act. A military wanting to try a new weapon and cause fear into their newest enemy: Russia".

What you said above was new to me... and also... the end of your post was a balanced and objective conclusion.

Thanks Again Rightsonword... Appreciate You.

Edited by Maggie123

Before getting all teary eyed over how inhumane the atomic bomb was to end WWII people need a dose of reality in that without the bomb there would have been millions and not simply thousands killed and the war would have continued for years in a gorilla type format.  Dropping the bomb was the most humane way to end that war with Japan.  Japan was training their children to be human bombs to blow up tanks and personnel as well as their women to attack with sticks and spears.  I have yet to come across a vet who was in that war who does not hold that to have not dropped that bomb would have been more humane.  Additionally, Germany had been passing its nuclear information to Japan.  If we had not dropped the bomb on Japan we could have probablly expected it to have been dropped upon us.

• Upvote 2

My only indirect experience  about this tragic event  occurred  during  my visit  at the UN Headquarters in NYC several years ago.

I saw  an exhibition of objects  and photos related to  the bombing.. I recall very very vividly these iron layers ( don't know if my choice of words is correct.. If it's not I apologize) they were like iron shields and they were all extremely affected by the bombing with deep " scars" in the metal... So one could only try to imagine the effect of all that on human bodies.... Then I saw some photos but I can't recall exactly what I saw in them... All I know is they were way beyond horrible to watch.

I too want to  very much hope that NEVER AGAIN  such a horrendous decision / execution will ever take place. No matter who's right or wrong. JMVHO.

Edited by umbertino

Umbertino, in that we can greatly agree.  I truly fear that with Iran and its goal for the destruction of Israel the lessons of nuclear war have not been learned.  If and when it happens again the fallout will probably kill more people than the bombs themselves and the bombs will level cities. 

• Upvote 1

Before anyone makes a trip to Japan how about a somber trip to Pearl Harbor? There are men still entombed on a ship as a remminder of that tragic day in December, 1941. When that day is truly remembered I will think about visiting Japan. Both sides had their bad momments in the war but when you go to the party and kick the cake over you should expect a butt whooping.  

• Upvote 5

Before anyone makes a trip to Japan how about a somber trip to Pearl Harbor? There are men still entombed on a ship as a remminder of that tragic day in December, 1941. When that day is truly remembered I will think about visiting Japan. Both sides had their bad momments in the war but when you go to the party and kick the cake over you should expect a butt whooping.  

Thats right nstoolman1, Japan is the sole reason for what happened to their people period. People can blame the US all they want but the truth is plain to see. When a country makes the choice to attack another country unprovoked, they just put their own citizens in harms way. This is just common sense.

After all... A war cannot always justify anything... Mass murders, rapes, etc.

And again I hope one day soon ther won't be anymore wars ever.

Yes I hope so too umbertino, but there is so much evil in this world.

Big +1

I was on a working trip when I visited Japan.

I have not had opportunity to go to Pearl Harbor and I don't need to in order to remember what happened there. That was tragic too.

Killing over 160,000 + innocent people and leaving years and years of nucear waste behind... is a bit more than than a "butt whooping". IMO

I still love my country... I will never justify the decisions of our leaders at that time...

just as I won't justify many of the decisions they are making now.

Edited by Maggie123

I met a lady several years ago who had been  school aged when the bomb was dropped.  Because of a doctor's appt. she hadn't gone with her class to work at the munitions factory like they did every after noon.  So she was on her way to rejoin her class when she saw the bomb falling.  They had been taught at school if they saw a bomb they were to stick their thumbs in their ears, cover their eyes with their fingers and drop to the ground.  So that is what she did.  She was a mile from ground zero.  Everyone one around her was vaporized.  Her entire class died at the factory.  She herself was severly burned on her back.  But despite all of this she claimed the bomb is what saved Japan.  All of Japan's citizens had been given suicide pills and were instructed to take them rather than surrender as a country.  The bomb changed the governments mind. This lady later married an American and moved to the USA.  Her daughter is a friend of mine.  Her grandchildren are her legacy.

• Upvote 2

Thats right nstoolman1, Japan is the sole reason for what happened to their people period. People can blame the US all they want but the truth is plain to see. When a country makes the choice to attack another country unprovoked, they just put their own citizens in harms way. This is just common sense.

Yes I hope so too umbertino, but there is so much evil in this world.

Sxsess... I know... You are right... Too much evil.....Takes a lot of courage and inner strength ( I know it's almost impossible) to not respond to Evil with more and greater  Evil....Again I do realize it's not that simple... I do hope one day Powers That Be on Planet Earth will realize that and put it into practice for the sake of Human Race.

Or else... We all lose.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

Lets see.....Pearl Harbour, a military base and 2 japanese cities with......a small army garrison, very little munitions manufacturing.....a CRAP LOAD OF CIVILIANS! Yeap, seems very EVEN to me! Nuke till they glow! too bad we only had 2 bombs! Should teach those Jap-SOBs a lesson or 2!!

OK, the intelligence in here is overwhelming! Kill civilians after the war is finished (as everyone knew it was) just to make sure the Commie Russians dont get too uppity. Again, so as not to make yourself look too silly, you need to read REAL history about the decision to use the A-bomb. When I was a simplton, I believed the same thing: They started it, We finished it. Then I learnt the truth. The use of the A-bomb was tantamount to a war crime.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Lets see.....Pearl Harbour, a military base and 2 japanese cities with......a small army garrison, very little munitions manufacturing.....a CRAP LOAD OF CIVILIANS! Yeap, seems very EVEN to me! Nuke till they glow! too bad we only had 2 bombs! Should teach those Jap-SOBs a lesson or 2!!

OK, the intelligence in here is overwhelming! Kill civilians after the war is finished (as everyone knew it was) just to make sure the Commie Russians dont get too uppity. Again, so as not to make yourself look too silly, you need to read REAL history about the decision to use the A-bomb. When I was a simplton, I believed the same thing: They started it, We finished it. Then I learnt the truth. The use of the A-bomb was tantamount to a war crime.

I agree. The Japanese were done. A war on two fronts. No Navy, dwindling oil, munitions, ability to manufacture more weapons, etc. The A-bomb wasn't necessary. It was overkill. No warning, no time to discuss terms of surrender, nothing.

Yes, Pearl Harbor was bad, but two wrong don't make a right. We as a nation should be taking the higher road. It's always OK to kill other's innocent civilians but out own. This type of attitude reminds me of the drone strikes. Kill plenty of innocent civilians to get one bad guy, OK, but if the same were done in the US to get one suspected Boston bomber, all hell would have broken loose.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

http://www.damninteresting.com/ww2-america-warned-hiroshima-and-nagasaki-citizens/

So easy to judge the past actions of people. I would venture to say that none of us were there. I would also venture to say that some of us had parents or grandparents that were involved in the fighting. When war is fought the idea is to break and destroy as much stuff as you can so as to stop the other guy. The US was doing that at a great expense of machine and man. When the A-bomb was finished and used it was a tool to end the war and further loss of US and Japanese lives. Calling people simpletons because of what they believe is uncalled for. The bombs served a purpose. My father witnessed 2 atomic bomb blasts and said it was the most frightening thing he had ever seen. Hindsight says it was not the best decision to make but the cold hard facts are that it was made. It has been a lesson to the world about the destruction the atom can do.

• Upvote 1

Please, people. You're making two mistakes.

One is, you should know that it's wrong to impose 21st century morality and ideals on the factors involved in what were two GLOBAL wars, something none of us have experienced. 

The other is, war is HELL. War is the greatest of insanities. Morality is of very little consideration. Because, the aim is to kill the enemy anyway you can. Ask the Allied troops who were waiting to invade Japan if they were grateful that the war ended, even by using nuclear bombs. Just ask them, if you can find any.

My feelings go out to all survivors of WW II. They are the ones who suffer most. Not just Japanese survivors of the nuclear blast, but all soldiers who had to continue living with those horrific memories.

• Upvote 4

One is, you should know that it's wrong to impose 21st century morality and ideals on the factors involved in what were two GLOBAL wars, something none of us have experienced. 

The other is, war is HELL. War is the greatest of insanities. Morality is of very little consideration. Because, the aim is to kill the enemy anyway you can. Ask the Allied troops who were waiting to invade Japan if they were grateful that the war ended, even by using nuclear bombs. Just ask them, if you can find any.

My feelings go out to all survivors of WW II. They are the ones who suffer most. Not just Japanese survivors of the nuclear blast, but all soldiers who had to continue living with those horrific memories.

Wayfarer this is an excellent post. We should remember what caused this war in order to ensure this never happens again.

Only to those that have a low view of morality are morals of little consideration in war time or any time.

• Upvote 1