Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq: Sadr and Hakim demand Maliki resignation

: Wednesday, 31 Jul, 2013

Iraq: Sadr and Hakim demand Maliki resignation
Suicide attacks on Sunni and Shi'ite mosques kill 9 and injure dozens on Tuesday.

1368019620057065500-e1375266076901.jpg

Ammar al-Hakim (L), leader of the Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq (ISCI) and Iraqi Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr hold a news conference in Najaf, 160 km (100 miles) south of Baghdad, May 8, 2013. (REUTERS/Haider Ala.)

Baghdad, Asharq Al-Awsat—Two of Iraq’s most prominent Shi’ite figures, Moqtada Al-Sadr and Ammar Al-Hakim, have stepped up their criticism of Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki’s passive reaction to the wave of bombings that struck Baghdad and several other Iraqi provinces last Sunday.

Taking place less than one week after Iraq’s largest jailbreak which saw 500 Al-Qaeda-affiliated prisoners escaping from Abu Ghraib and Taji prisons, Sunday’s bombings left hundreds dead and wounded.

In a statement issued on Monday, Moqtada Sadr, the leader of the Sadrist Movement, called on the members of the ruling National Iraqi Alliance to resign.

“I am not writing a condemnation [statement] because this is no longer useful. I am not asking the government and the parliament to resign, they are both already dying,” Sadr said.

He added: “I demand that security apparatus, ministries, and the commander of the armed forces resign.”

Addressing “the conscientious among Iraq’s Shi’ites particularly those in the National Iraqi Alliance” Sadr said: “Brothers, protect the reputation of Shia Islam,” calling on them “either to resign or to agree on what is right.”

For his part, Ammar Al-Hakim, the leader of the Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq (ISCI), announced that the recurrent security breaches clearly demonstrate negligence on the part of those in charge of Iraq’s national security.

“The Taji and Abu Ghraib prison break a few days ago and the successive attacks that have taken place across the country require Iraq’s political leaders to hold an urgent meeting to discuss objective plans,” Hakim announced.

Echoing Sadr, Hakim raised questions about the “fate of billions of dollars spent on national security, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of security staff.”

Hakim also called on Iraq’s security leadership to “be courageous, admit their failures, and submit their resignations.”

For his part, MP Amir Kinani of the Sadrist Movement informed Asharq Al-Awsat: “Requests and appeals are not enough anymore. Therefore, what Mr. Sadr and Mr. Al-Hakim have demanded is an urgent call for a meeting of the National Iraqi Alliance because it is time to take drastic decisions.”

“The Sadrist Movement is part of the National Iraqi Alliance which, as the largest political entity, is responsible for what is happening. This means that it is the duty of Shi’ites [to resolve the situation]. This is why Mr. Sadr issued this call to protect the reputation of Shia Islam.”

“Among the scenarios which will be put forward is either the resignation of Al-Maliki; the Egyptian scenario of inciting the public to topple the government; or waiting for the results of the next parliamentary elections.”

For his part, ISCI MP Furat Al-Shara told Asharq Al-Awsat: “The call for an urgent meeting of the National Iraqi Alliance is to discuss the status quo in the country and the future challenges because unless we work on laying the foundations for a state of institutions, rather than individuals, we cannot expect security stability.”

“Mr. Al-Hakim did not just call for an urgent meeting of the National Iraqi Alliance but also demanded all those in charge of the security file resign because this is the least they can do in light of the successes the terrorist groups have achieved. This is something that we can no longer tolerate, whether it is on purpose or the result of ignorance or failure,” he added.

According to Iraqi police officials, an explosion targeting Shi’ite worshipers leaving Assad Allah mosque in Baghdad on Tuesday killed seven and wounded 11. At the same time, a suicide attack targeted a Sunni mosque in western Baghdad left at least two people dead, according to the Associated Press.

http://www.aawsat.net/2013/07/article55311805

• Upvote 3

Great news indeed! At least for Iraq.  Not sure M has enough followers at this point (from any arena) who would incite a civil war if he were to resign.  I'm surprised Hakim is in on this now. The charges against him must hold weight, or I do not think Hakim would support this, as he prefers peaceful solutions. 

• Upvote 1

Hakim demanded Based on the security file, courage and submit their resignations
12:32:30 / 07/2013

Khandan - Student President Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq Ammar al-Hakim, those who take over security in the country to the "courage and submit their resignations and the recognition of failing and not their potential management and assume this responsibility pertaining to the lives and blood of innocent people," stressing they "need to provide Notes to the citizens what is happening from the repeated targeting of the holy places in the days. "

This came in the evening Ramadan sixteen, returned "the succession of security breaches in the form that we now see shows without a doubt on the existence of failing in the administrators of security in the country," the wise "that the process of Taji and Abu Ghraib prison older a few days and rolled large operations and extensive targeting require political leaders of the country for an urgent meeting to discuss the plans, as well as put forward new proposals and ideas contribute to the reduction of this major deterioration of security. "

He also expressed the President of the Islamic Supreme Council "concern and dissatisfaction with the survival of the security ministries vacant in this delicate situation and crisis," and wondered about "the fate of billions of dollars spent on the security file, 'as well as the presence of hundreds of thousands of Associates and duty with real succession of terrorist operations, quality and large, "he asked about the reasons for" non-participation of political leaders and contribute to the management of this file and carry out their responsibilities. "
Reading 148

http://www.xendan.org/arabic/drejaA.aspx?Jmara=15720&Jor=2

http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/156330-national-alliance-meet-in-the-presence-of-al-maliki-and-expresses-its-great-concern-over-the-deteriorating-security-situation/

related article.

Civil unrest is great news?

:confused2:

Coolbeans, I for one would be indebted to you if you would care to educate us as to why there would be civil war if Maliki was to resign (which is doubtful In my opinion anyway)? And, if you could provide some kind of facts, links or articles that support your belief, again, I would be very thankful, as I'm not very well edu-ma-cated on this possible scenario?

Thanks.

• Upvote 2

When religious leaders are demanding Maliki to resign this is a major threat!!!!! Maliki take heed or i can only assume Maliki will be murdered.  

I have wondered for quite some time how many times a week he has to dodge "the bullet".  And I mean the real bullet or IED.

Seems to me most of the civil unrest has occurred since the demonstrations began in December, and I believe Maliki's policies (or lack of) and corruption were at the base of the reason as to why the people took to the streets...so, in effect, Maliki sitting as PM is the reason for the civil unrest, so I'd be interested to hear, and I kindly request, Coolbeans' opinion as to why he/she thinks the removal of what the people perceive as the person who's caused the unrest, will cause even greater unrest????  Thanks Coolbeans.

Well Zig, Buti found and posted a couple articles stating that Barzani and Maliki had made a deal and this deal indicated that Barzani might be running for president of Iraq, and in exchange Maliki could/would be able to run for a third term. However, the NA has released an article, which I posted here, two days ago I think, stating that they didn't support Maliki running for a third term. So, I'd think Barzani has to lay low on this subject. JMO.

• Upvote 1

What I find interesting is the Kurds have said nothing.  Barzani is usually hot on the trail of getting rid of Maliki.  Why hasn't he?

***///

The Eminent Mr. Barzani subscribes to the 'Walk Softly - Carry a Big Stick' school...

Whenever they're in the same room, you can see the evil maliki's discomfort.

Barzani has slowly and methodically twisted a nice, long rope for maliki because he

knows -- ultimately maliki will hang himself with it....

Mr. Barzani has exercised great restraint and patience...

he knows that's exactly how to catch a filthy rat without getting his own hands dirty.

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 2

Seems to me most of the civil unrest has occurred since the demonstrations began in December, and I believe Maliki's policies (or lack of) and corruption were at the base of the reason as to why the people took to the streets...so, in effect, Maliki sitting as PM is the reason for the civil unrest, so I'd be interested to hear, and I kindly request, Coolbeans' opinion as to why he/she thinks the removal of what the people perceive as the person who's caused the unrest, will cause even greater unrest????  Thanks Coolbeans.

Well Zig, Buti found and posted a couple articles stating that Barzani and Maliki had made a deal and this deal indicated that Barzani might be running for president of Iraq, and in exchange Maliki could/would be able to run for a third term. However, the NA has released an article, which I posted here, two days ago I think, stating that they didn't support Maliki running for a third term. So, I'd think Barzani has to lay low on this subject. JMO.

Tbomb I agree a deal was made, a big one between the two.  My thought is this Sadr and  Hakim may be spinning their wheels.  Without the Kurds, including Talabani's group, I don't think they have enough votes to oust Maliki.

If they've questioned M in absence and most of the blocs "agree" to withdraw confidence, they don't need a "signature sheet", from what I've read via the constitution..it just needs a majority vote.  And I might point out that I think especially since Barzani's agreement with Maliki, many of the Kurds may actually be sitting in parliament.  Why are we seeing laws getting passed IF the Kurds (enough to prevent things from getting done) are not there? Again, I have no evidence, so this, again, is JMO.

Edited by TBomb
  • Upvote 1

Civil unrest is great news?

:confused2:

Hakim and Sadr carrying the same Tune....Sure is Great News......but you seem to forget that these folks been living in this atmosphere for some time...they been protesting respectful for over a year...and folks been Killed everyday...how do you suggest to stop it, without the Citizens speaking out....just let evil has it way...The Citizens will have Victory for future generations..with Lives Lost...Stand Now was my point....The whole Region is unrest because of the Life Style.....They Realize a Chance for a Better Life....

Edited by yota691
  • Upvote 1