Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Detroit fails because of Republican polices?

Lutie

OMG  lmao they are getting  dumber and dumber by the minute!

Posted by Matt on Jul 24, 2013 in MSM, Politics, Public Employee Unions

It is truly a sad thing to think that some people rely on MSNBC for their “news”.  After hearing some of the ridiculous stuff spewed by a few liberal family members, I am pretty sure they are avid viewers.

MSNBC is a disgrace.

Over the weekend, Ed Schultz, host of “The ED Show” on MSNBC had the following to say:

Detroit, Michigan used to be, really, a symbol of industrial strength and manufacturing in this country, but thanks to a lot of Republican policies, the city is now filing for bankruptcy…”

Let us examine what Stupid, sorry, Ed, is trying to pawn off on his viewers.  Democrats have been in charge of Detroit since 1961, when the City’s last republican mayor lost his reelection campaign.  Since then, the city has had Democrat mayors and Democrat policies.  “Earlier this year” (ie: at most, less than 8 months ago), an emergency city manager was put in place by the Republican Governor of the state, and since he was unable to fix 52 years of Democrat destruction in 8 months, it is the Republican’s fault! What on God’s green earth is this moron smoking?  How does this idiot have his own television show?  How stupid do you have to be to believe the crap coming out of this man’s mouth

• Upvote 7

Detroit is busted because the Auto industry tanked......plain and simple.   :mellow: 

GO RV, then BV

Exactly, Shabs...And why did the auto industry tank? Greed! The oil shortage hit in the early 70's and rapidly tripled prices from .30 pg to $1.00 pg. And what did Detroit do? They cut back on some of the cubic inches output in their big hog engines, they put in polution control (not exactly their idea), oh and they started making some cheap, inadequate smaller cars. Why were they cheap and inadequate? Union greed required more and more while quality and production suffered. This was more than 40 years ago my DV friends. Our country had just put men on the moon. Does anyone really believe that if the government, the auto industry, the unions, the scientific community, and the American Oil industry had put their collective "heads" together that we would still be dependant on foreign, infidel hating countries to keep our country alive? Heil NO! We could probably filling our tanks with KUDZU!

Edited by wpsmit
  • Upvote 3

Exactly, Shabs...And why did the auto industry tank? Greed! The oil shortage hit in the early 70's and rapidly tripled prices from .30 pg to $1.00 pg. And what did Detroit do? They cut back on some of the cubic inches output in their big hog engines, they put in polution control (not exactly their idea), oh and they started making some cheap, inadequate smaller cars. Why were they cheap and inadequate? Union greed required more and more while quality and production suffered. This was more than 40 years ago my DV friends. Our country had just put men on the moon. Does anyone really believe that if the government, the auto industry, the unions, the scientific community, and the American Oil industry had put their collective "heads" together that we would still be dependant on foreign, infidel hating countries to keep our country alive? Heil NO! We could probably filling our tanks with KUDZU!

I heard that kudzu is edible.  We have more than enough to go around and just think of the biomass that it could render to making new fuels and feeding cattle.  There you go...a billion dollar idea.

I will believe that the City of Detroit is on the right path only after the mayor and his cronies are put on payless paydays (they aren't doing anything anyway... at least nothing that deserves getting paid for).  The same for the City Council...a worse group of screw-ups would be hard to find.  They are more worried about the Trevon Martin case than trying to help fix the city that they helped to bring crashing down. 

Not many know that the Detroit City Council took a 10% pay cut only after they voted themselves a huge raise...in the end they had more pay.. not less...it was all smoke and mirrors.  The council and all of their people and the mayor and all of his people need to go on Obama Care ...that's what they propose for the police and firefighters.  They need to vote to give up a substantial ammount of their pension...(which I don't feel they have even earned)...that's what they propose for the police and firefighters who have put their lives on the line every day in that city.  Those men are being told thanks for your service now here's a kick in the pants to those of you who are retired...you're a drain on us. 

A firefighter with a wife and two children makes so little in that city, he just about qualifies for aid to the poor.  And before you say it, I have heard all the arguments.  Yes those men chose their calling.  Their wives and children also have to live with that choice.  The city is damn lucky anyone is willing to take those (sometimes thankless) jobs. When those men agreed to put their lives on the line they were assured that at least their families would be given a decent living, and that they would have good medical care (with less and less men and no let up in fires this is a very important issue...the injuries are mounting).

Those men have paid into their own retirement fund.  They are not elligible for social security.  They have gone without raises for for many years with the promise of recieving good medical care in return. 

All of the people who have been in office the last 20 years or so are to blame for this mess.  You have seen the trials.  There should have been more of them.  The whole mess is one giant crime scene.  Cronyism at it's very worst.  Now we are hearing the present mayor went to Washington to have secret meetings with the governor and the the then "proposed city manager" to cut his own sweetheart deal to keep his and his hangers on in the money.  The news reports every day that there will be no cut to city services.  So....where is the money going to come from?  Easy...take it from those who have sacrificed the most.  Take it from the men and women who go to work every day doing their best to protect a city and people who are willing to throw them under the financial bus.

I was going to end this by saying I am sorry for sounding so angry...I'm not.

• Upvote 2

As a kid I remember being told to stop blaming others and to take my own medicine.  As a professional psychotherapist I would tell my clients to stop blaming others and to take responsibility for their own actions.  Why is it the only ones who does not have to accept responsibility for their own actions are politicians.  The blame for Detroit falls upon Detroit.

• Upvote 2

As a kid I remember being told to stop blaming others and to take my own medicine.  As a professional psychotherapist I would tell my clients to stop blaming others and to take responsibility for their own actions.  Why is it the only ones who does not have to accept responsibility for their own actions are politicians.  The blame for Detroit falls upon Detroit.

Exactly...it's not due to political party. It's due to greed and corruption and everyone looking out for themselves and not taking a good look at the whole picture. How will my actions and decisions affect the people around me? Taking responsibility...it's starting to look like a lost art. 

• Upvote 1

Detroit is busted because the Auto industry tanked......plain and simple.   :mellow: 

GO RV, then BV

No detroit busted because of corruption within a bloated city govt.

They looted the system for years till the money finally ran out.

Ford`s doing great business right now selling cars almost as well as the old days.

Chrysler not to far behind them.

When they pay a guy $400,000 salary for doing a $80,000 job and he just one guy of hundred`s on the take in detroit

This is what happens.  

• Upvote 3

From what I understand of the situation there needs to be a hard look at present day unions.  Coming from southern Indiana I know that some unions are wonderful for keeping their people safe and paid a decent wage.  I also know that many unions have lost sight of their purpose and have gotten greedy.  In many ways the unions have become a bad word to some businesses because as they start demanding more and more, not just a fair wage, the small business cannot carry that load and they close putting everyone out of work.  It sounds like some of the big unions of Detroit has been allowed to 'rule the roost' in demanding greater and greater benefits paid by the city and now it has come home.  Like with any unruly child, if you allow them to have their way without the word NO long enough they will create total destruction.  Detroit has been too passive allowing their unruly child of the big unions to have their way and now no body wins.

• Upvote 1

No detroit busted because of corruption within a bloated city govt.

They looted the system for years till the money finally ran out.

Ford`s doing great business right now selling cars almost as well as the old days.

Chrysler not to far behind them.

When they pay a guy $400,000 salary for doing a $80,000 job and he just one guy of hundred`s on the take in detroit

This is what happens.  

And all that you are talking about started years and years ago with the auto industry.......dirty unions, corruption, paying off local government.  It was all unsustainable and destined to fail.  Ford and Chrysler are doing fine now because of the bailout.....but the damage to the city was already done.  People left jobless and took their tax dollars with them.  I'm not disagreeing with your assessment Dog......I just feel like the whole mess started with the auto industry.   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV

I saw it coming years ago when I noticed more and more foreign made cars on our roads and the quality and service surperior to American companies. I have had both foreign and domestic cars and I prefer the foreign cars. I would love to buy an American car if and when they can compete in quality and reliability with their rivals. I hope that day is coming, they had it too easy here but now the public has many choices, may the best car win.

• Upvote 2

Can anyone name a city that has gone bankrupt recently that was controlled by Republicans for more than 10 years up to the point of being insolvent? There is a pattern here and the pattern is that Liberal policies do not improve the economic situation in any way. Look at all of the cities that are not far behind Detroit such as Chicago and New York. People can continue to ignore the facts and blame others, but until people realize that Liberal policies are leading cities down the path of the PIIGS, this is going to be a common subject of discussion for years to come.

Indy

• Upvote 2

That's the beauty of being a liberal. You get to blame every one of your f*** up's on republicans. Who cares if the whole world knows if it happened under the democrats watch, it is still the republicans fault. It doesn't matter if the liberal version doesn't correspond with reality in any way, shape, or form. When accountability, and personal responsibility isn't in their lexicon... well... naturally it is someone elses fault.

One of the major perks of being a liberal who never interacts with reality is, not only do you get to blame republicans for what you did to Detroit, but while you're at it you also get to bring George Zimmerman into it as well. Bankruptcy schmankruptsy... we don't need to worry bout no stinkin' bankruptcy as long as George Zimmerman is still a free man.

http://patdollard.com/2013/07/bankrupt-detroits-city-council-passes-resolution-demanding-federal-investigation-of-george-zimmerman/

Edited by cranster
  • Upvote 3

OMG  lmao they are getting  dumber and dumber by the minute!

Posted by Matt on Jul 24, 2013 in MSM, Politics, Public Employee Unions

It is truly a sad thing to think that some people rely on MSNBC for their “news”.  After hearing some of the ridiculous stuff spewed by a few liberal family members, I am pretty sure they are avid viewers.

MSNBC is a disgrace.

Over the weekend, Ed Schultz, host of “The ED Show” on MSNBC had the following to say:

Detroit, Michigan used to be, really, a symbol of industrial strength and manufacturing in this country, but thanks to a lot of Republican policies, the city is now filing for bankruptcy…”

Let us examine what Stupid, sorry, Ed, is trying to pawn off on his viewers.  Democrats have been in charge of Detroit since 1961, when the City’s last republican mayor lost his reelection campaign.  Since then, the city has had Democrat mayors and Democrat policies.  “Earlier this year” (ie: at most, less than 8 months ago), an emergency city manager was put in place by the Republican Governor of the state, and since he was unable to fix 52 years of Democrat destruction in 8 months, it is the Republican’s fault! What on God’s green earth is this moron smoking?  How does this idiot have his own television show?  How stupid do you have to be to believe the crap coming out of this man’s mouth

Don't forget that most of the great financial collapse of 2008 was a result of policies started by the Clinton Administration--another democrat. He virtually forced banks to give out loans to people who did not truly qualify for all under the guise of equal housing. His policies made it possible for people to get loans they could not ever hope to repay. The banks knew this. So they created these so-called "guaranteed" and "insured" investment products that were based on bundles of these mortgages. They sold these investments to pension funds, investors, private banks etc. Some people even used these so-called safe investments as collateral to obtain loans with. We all know what happened to banks and investors once all the borrowers backing these investments defaulted on their loans. It tore the whole system down.

• Upvote 3

Don't forget that most of the great financial collapse of 2008 was a result of policies started by the Clinton Administration--another democrat. He virtually forced banks to give out loans to people who did not truly qualify for all under the guise of equal housing. His policies made it possible for people to get loans they could not ever hope to repay. The banks knew this. So they created these so-called "guaranteed" and "insured" investment products that were based on bundles of these mortgages. They sold these investments to pension funds, investors, private banks etc. Some people even used these so-called safe investments as collateral to obtain loans with. We all know what happened to banks and investors once all the borrowers backing these investments defaulted on their loans. It tore the whole system down.

I have been reading your stuff since you got your posting power back....and I'm quite impressed GPC.  Just a simple question, or maybe an observation.....If Clinton started the fiasco and Bush had eight years to stop it and couldn't, then is it fair to blame Obama for the things he hasn't been able to fix because of previous administrations?  Isn't it just a vicious cycle that will continue as long as this failed two party system has a hold on us?

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

Ford and Chrysler are doing fine now because of the bailout.....but the damage to the city was already done. 

Just a minor well actually a major correction, Ford did not take a dime of bailout....and you know what? I've never been that big of a Ford fan, but all of a sudden, their lineup of models looks better to me than the others.....My next car purchase will be a Ford, that is unless the RV hits first, and then it will be right behind my new Porsche....HEEHEE

• Upvote 2