Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Montana Passes Sweeping Anti-Government Spying Bill

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-07-15/montana-passes-sweeping-anti-government-spying-bill

Montana Passes Sweeping Anti-Government Spying Bill

Tyler Durden's pictureSubmitted by Tyler Durden on 07/15/2013 20:03 -0400

Recession SPY

Submitted by Michael Krieger via Liberty Blitzkrieg blog,

What is so interesting about Montana’s House Bill 603, which passed overwhelmingly the state Senate by a 96-4 margin, is that it was passed in April, or several months before Edward Snowden’s NSA revelations. Talk about some foresight. Hopefully, we will see many more such bills sweep across the nation, as “change” will have to be done at the local level. The central government in D.C. is hopelessly corrupt and I don’t see that changing. We must just decentralize away from the District of Criminals on our own. From the Atlantic Wire:

Privacy advocates, behold the Montana legislature and House Bill 603, a measure that requires the government to obtain a probable cause warrant before spying on you through your cell phone or laptop. HB 603 was signed into law this past spring, effectively making Montana the first state to have an anti-spy law long before anyone heard of Edward Snowden. To be clear, HB 603 passed the state Senate overwhelmingly by a vote of 96-4 in April and was signed into law on May 6.

At the time, the law might have seemed extraneous, or even paranoid. But knowing what we know now, the law seems prophetic. The law is pretty straightforward—the government can’t spy on Montanans through their electronic devices unless they obtain a warrant:

That effectively makes Montana the first state in the country’s history to pass an electronic privacy law that protects you from the government. The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Daniel Zolnikov, and Montana’s lawmakers outpaced all the states in the country when it comes to privacy.

“The younger Democrats and Republicans were the ones really for the bill. The older legislators in Helena didn’t say much for or against it,” Zolnikov told the Daily Interlake.
The above line explains precisely why the government is concerned about “an increasingly disgruntled, post-Great Recession workforce and the entry of younger, ‘Gen Y’ employees who were ‘raised on the Internet,’” as noted in the recent “Insider Threat” article from McClatchy. 

MORE:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/07/if-you-dont-want-government-spy-you-move-montana/66962/

If You Don't Want the Government to Spy on You, Move to Montana

flickr user: archerwl

Share Share Print article Email article Comments Comments
ALEXANDER ABAD-SANTOS 7,704 ViewsJUL 9, 2013
Privacy advocates, behold the Montana legislature and House Bill 603, a measure that requires the government to obtain a probable cause warrant before spying on you through your cell phone or laptop. HB 603 was signed into law this past spring, effectively making Montana the first state to have an anti-spy law long before anyone heard of Edward Snowden. To be clear, HB 603 passed the state Senate overwhelmingly by a vote of 96-4 in April and was signed into law on May 6. That's almost one month to the day when we first found out about the NSA's secret order to collect phone records from Verizon, which has since ballooned into a world-wide scandal and chase. "The NSA reports hadn’t even come out at that time," said one of the law's supporters to the news website The Daily Interlake. 

That we didn't find out about the extensive NSA spying and Edward Snowden until June, is probably the reason HB 603 passed without much fanfare in the spring. At the time, the law might have seemed extraneous, or even paranoid. But knowing what we know now, the law seems prophetic (not unlike the way Shia LaBeouf warned us about spying back in 2008) and is getting some new-found attention. The law is pretty straightforward—the government can't spy on Montanans through their electronic devices unless they obtain a warrant: 

And "electronic device" is meant to encompass laptops, cell phones and tablets: 

That effectively makes Montana the first state in the country's history to pass an electronic privacy law that protects you from the government. The bill's sponsor, Rep. Daniel Zolnikov, and Montana's lawmakers outpaced all the states in the country when it comes to privacy—Texas signed an email privacy bill into law last month, and Massachusetts and a handful of other states are considering their own privacy laws when it comes to electronic surveillance and wiretapping. 

"The younger Democrats and Republicans were the ones really for the bill. The older legislators in Helena didn’t say much for or against it," Zolnikov told the Daily Interlake. Zolnikov actually wanted a harsher bill that would have limited federal authority. "This is very small compared to what we want to accomplish," he added.

A little town in Colorado passed a law (and I mean small town) that if any drones were found flying over the town, that the airspace above the town is sovereign to the town and all citizens have the right to shoot the drones down. ............

sorry for the tiny font size - my computer makes it look miniscule

Edited by Sage449

A little town in Colorado passed a law (and I mean small town) that if any drones were found flying over the town, that the airspace above the town is sovereign to the town and all citizens have the right to shoot the drones down. ............

sorry for the tiny font size - my computer makes it look miniscule

By the time the town folks take aim.......the "small" airspace will have been vacated.   :shrug: 

GO RV, then BV

This would have come in handy in Ted Kazinski's day.   :o 

GO RV, then BV

Now leave my Uncle Ted out of this....(just joking)

Yea that Flathead area is pretty cool. Have some money to get in though.

Come on RV

I grew up in the MIssion valley, about a half an hour from the south end of Flathead Lake.  Things have sure changed in the last 30 years there.  I don't think I could buy a place there now. Cost of living is crazy. I looked about a month ago and a 2 bed 1 bath 730 sq. ft. 1998 mobile home on a half acre was $120,000.00!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now leave my Uncle Ted out of this....(just joking)

I grew up in the MIssion valley, about a half an hour from the south end of Flathead Lake.  Things have sure changed in the last 30 years there.  I don't think I could buy a place there now. Cost of living is crazy. I looked about a month ago and a 2 bed 1 bath 730 sq. ft. 1998 mobile home on a half acre was $120,000.00!!

Confirmed, FREEDOM is not free!

"Who cares" says WH.......................ain't nuthin to spy on in Montana anyway,cept mountains. VP Joe Biden said " whats the big deal we spy on all foreign countries, not just Montana" - peace 

Meaning that the VP thinks were a foreign country?

• Upvote 1

Abbott was the smart one........bad analogy.   :lol:   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV

It was a good analogy. Obama- Abbott    Biden-Costello  (Obama's Costello, not Obama acts like or is kin to)  

Who's on first, What's on Second, I Don't Know's on third...

Heck Biden has a hard enough time finding the ballpark