Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Bananas vs sports drink

I love the reserach this place does. Was introduced to them about a year ago through my other business and like to check back with them from time to time just to see what else they have found.

Scientists at the North Carolina Research Campus (NCRC)  proved scientifically what many recreational and professional athletes believe anecdotally -  that bananas are a good source of energy when exercising.

Trained cyclists consumed either a half a banana or a cup of sports drink, every 15 minutes, during a 75 km, simulated road race lasting between two-and-a-half and three hours. Blood samples were taken before and after exercise and analyzed by the metabolomics lab at the David H. Murdock Research Institute, NCRC’s core laboratory.

Blood glucose levels and performance did not differ between the athletes consuming bananas and those consuming sports drinks. Metabolomics showed that on a metabolic level the energy substrate usage was identical, which means that the profile of small molecules in the blood typically found after the consumption of bananas is indistinguishable from the molecular profile of a sports drink. Further, the inflammatory cytokine production or inflammation that often accompanies strenuous exercise was just as dampened in the banana group as the sports drink.

Bottom line for me -  Bananas are less expensive and just as portable as sports drinks. Just as effective when coupled with water...and healtier over all. 

http://www.ncresearchcampus.net/partners-and-research/latest-research/asu-and-dole-bananas-as-an-energy-source-during-exercise

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Good to know! My 16 yr old gets cramps all the time, he trains football and weights for 3 hours every day.. I keep bananas at all times and a cooler full of gatorades everywhere I go... All of my kids play sports and I'm constantly running from one practice or game to another.. Alot of the boys on the fb team take Quinine for cramps and I've talked to the coach and some players about how much better bananas are for you but they still take it, that stuff is so dangerous..

• Upvote 1

The FDA warned against using quinine for leg cramps in 2010. Use this as some ammo to help get the informaiton out. It has actually resulted in some deaths back in 2008.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/771699

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/08/news/la-heb-fda-quinine-qualaquin-cramps-20100708

When you have muscle cramps, your body is probably yearning for potassium, magnesium and calcium — the  minerals that helps regulate activity in your nerves and muscles.  Mineral supplementation would be a better way to go - plus making sure they are drinking enough water, since dehydration is also a key element to cramps.

On another note - just curious as to why I got negged for this...hmmm....sports drink marketer? *lol*

I have nothing against marketers actually - I'm one myself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The negs are beyond me especially on a post like this.... I had done the research on Quinine awhile back when my grandmother took it for severe cramps.. I found a natural remedy that worked perfect for her because hers were during the night, put a bar of Ivory soap under your fitted sheet right by your resting legs.. she swears by it now!

The negs are beyond me especially on a post like this.... I had done the research on Quinine awhile back when my grandmother took it for severe cramps.. I found a natural remedy that worked perfect for her because hers were during the night, put a bar of Ivory soap under your fitted sheet right by your resting legs.. she swears by it now!

I have a friend with RLS who says that it works for that also.  Except he uses Irish Spring.  Not sure what the differences are - but can't complain with results.  Not everything that works is totally supported by scientific evidence - but the anectdotal evidence is so strong sometimes. Those personal experiences and stories are the meat a potatoes of most natural health stories and products.

I've heard some really great stories - especially from some world class athletes recently.  And the science from  the North Carolina Research Campus (NCRC) backed up what they were saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My daughter is an avid fastpitch softball player, she plays about a 100 games a yr. She eats a banana b4 every game, we have also found out that pickle juice works quite well! Some of the parks we play at have the pickle juice frozen in the little paper cups, the ones you use for jello shots! She only drinks water when she plays, hasn't had a sports drink in years! Thanks for the post Tankdude!

If there are any serious (or even not so serious) athletes out there looking for an endurance boost (not energy - endurance - and there is a difference)   -  I have another study from the North Carolina Research Campus (NCRC) I'd like to share with you . Let me know on my profile and I can get info to you. 

Good to know! My 16 yr old gets cramps all the time, he trains football and weights for 3 hours every day.. I keep bananas at all times and a cooler full of gatorades everywhere I go... All of my kids play sports and I'm constantly running from one practice or game to another.. Alot of the boys on the fb team take Quinine for cramps and I've talked to the coach and some players about how much better bananas are for you but they still take it, that stuff is so dangerous..

Might consider giving magnesium to them also (actually, EVERYONE should be taking Mg for any pain/cramp/support). I give it to ALL my patients with any pain pattern. The best type is transdermal-spray on-gets right to where its needed first. Sports drinks are sugary crap and should never be consumed. There are, as we see in this post, a LOT of other things that you can take to keep electrolytic levels at optimal. Also, studies have proven that "carb loading" doesn't improve performance. That is a myth. It was found that a high fat or protein meal before any strenuous activity actually does better for improving outcome. Hope this helps. Cheers

My 92 year old Mom and I have one every day. I play baseball at 64, but Mom does not!

Afraid she might show you up?!?! hahahahaa. good on both of you. To BOTH of your health!