Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

Sign in to follow this  
thegente

Edward Snowden: Truth is coming, and it cannot be stopped

http://rt.com/news/snowden-edward-nsa-guardian-817/

Edward Snowden: Truth is coming, and it cannot be stopped
Published time: June 17, 2013 15:30 
Edited time: June 17, 2013 21:29

snowden-question-answer-truth.si.jpg

Graffiti that is sympathetic to NSA leaker Edward Snowden is seen stenciled on the sidewalk on June 11, 2013 in San Francisco, California (AFP Photo / Justin Sullivan)

The threat of imprisonment or murder will not stop the truth from coming out, Edward Snowden, the whistleblower who blew the lid on the massive National Security Agency surveillance program, told the Guardian in a live Q&A.

The 29-year-old former NSA contractor in conjunction with Glenn Greenwald, The Guardian journalist who broke the story on the NSA’s two controversial data-collection programs which targeted Americans and foreign allies alike, took questions onlineregarding the fallout from the massive intelligence leak. 

Edward Snowden kicked off the session by describing the targeted campaign by the US government to paint him as a traitor, “just as they did with other whistleblowers." The smear campaign, he argues, has destroyed the possibility of a fair trial at home. In this regard, his decision to leave the United States was not based on any desire to evade justice, especially since he believes he can “do more good outside of prison.” 

rtx10qjl.jpg

A poster supporting Edward Snowden is displayed opposite the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong June 17, 2013. (Reuters / Bobby Yip)

Snowden realized his choice of Hong Kong as a refuge would stir up anti-Chinese hysteria in the US media and be used as a tool to “distract away from the issue of US government misconduct.” He remained emphatic, however, that he had in no way shape or form acted on behalf of Beijing, saying that he “only works with journalists.” 

“Ask yourself: if I were a Chinese spy, why wouldn't I have flown directly into Beijing? I could be living in a palace petting a phoenix by now.”

He was further dismissive of the perennial, dual-pronged approach from US officials to play the terror card in an effort to shut down discussion regarding their every increasing authority and the traitor angle to dismiss those who advocate government transparency

Regarding the former tactic, Snowden argues the fourth estate can verify the veracity of government claims by analyzing how and if the government’s massively expanded powers have resulted in the actual prevention of terror plots.

“Journalists should ask a specific question: since these programs began operation shortly after September 11th, how many terrorist attacks were prevented SOLELY by information derived from this suspicionless surveillance that could not be gained via any other source? Then ask how many individual communications were ingested to achieve that, and ask yourself if it was worth it. Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it.”

'Being called a traitor by **** Cheney is highest honor for an American' 

Snowden further deployed his considerable wit to cast aspersion on members of the US political elite who had led leveled the traitor charge against him.

“It's important to bear in mind I'm being called a traitor by men like former Vice President **** Cheney. This is a man who gave us the warrantless wiretapping scheme as a kind of atrocity warm-up on the way to deceitfully engineering a conflict that has killed over 4,400 and maimed nearly 32,000 Americans, as well as leaving over 100,000 Iraqis dead. Being called a traitor by **** Cheney is the highest honor you can give an American, and the more panicked talk we hear from people like him, [Democratic Senator Dianne] Feinstein, and [Republican Senator Peter]King, the better off we all are. If they had taught a class on how to be the kind of citizen **** Cheney worries about, I would have finished high school.”

000_154347776.jpg

Former Vice President **** Cheney. (AFP Photo / Bruce Bennett)

Living a life on the run had previously led Snowden to say that none of the options ahead of him were good, but his ultimate goal would be realized no matter what fate awaited him

"All I can say right now is the US Government is not going to be able to cover this up by jailing or murdering me. Truth is coming, and it cannot be stopped." 

Despite the risks, his message to other potential whistleblowers was unequivocal: "This country is worth dying for."

Snowden, who had previously stated that he painstakingly evaluated every document he had disclosed to ensure that it was legitimately in the public interest, reiterated that had not in fact posed a national security threat. 

“I did not reveal any US operations against legitimate military targets. I pointed out where the NSA has hacked civilian infrastructure such as universities, hospitals, and private businesses because it is dangerous. These nakedly, aggressively criminal acts are wrong no matter the target," he argued. 

'Draconian responses simply build better whistleblowers'

When pressed over whether it was his intention to insinuate that Bradley Manning, the United States soldier currently on trial for passing classified material to WikiLeaks, indiscriminately dumped classified information with the intention of harming people, the former CIA employee defended both the Army Private and the online non-profit.  

“WikiLeaks is a legitimate journalistic outlet and they carefully redacted all of their releases in accordance with a judgment of public interest. The unredacted release of cables was due to the failure of a partner journalist to control a passphrase. However, I understand that many media outlets used the argument that 'documents were dumped' to smear Manning, and want to make it clear that it is not a valid assertion here.”

Snowden said the “draconian” campaigns against Manning, NSA whistleblowers Thomas Drake and William Binney,  , and CIA whistleblower John Kiriakou would result in even more anti-corruption and government transparency advocates aspiring to greater acts of boldness.

“Binney, Drake, Kiriakou, and Manning are all examples of how overly-harsh responses to public-interest whistle-blowing only escalate the scale, scope, and skill involved in future disclosures. Citizens with a conscience are not going to ignore wrong-doing simply because they'll be destroyed for it: the conscience forbids it. Instead, these draconian responses simply build better whistleblowers. If the Obama administration responds with an even harsher hand against me, they can be assured that they'll soon find themselves facing an equally harsh public response.”

Incidentally, Binney told RT last December how the FBI was engaged in widespread surveillance against the bulk of American citizenry, including members of congress. 

In April 2012, Binney said the NSA had intercepted 20 trillion communications “transactions” of American citizens, including phone calls and emails, via the Bush-era Stellar Wind surveillance programs.  

That such programs were continued and expanded under the current administration led to Snowden's disillusion with Obama, who he claims has “closed the door on investigating systemic violations of law, deepened and expanded several abusive programs.”  However, Snowden believes Obama has not yet reached the point of no return.

“He still has plenty of time to go down in history as the President who looked into the abyss and stepped back, rather than leaping forward into it.”

'IPS, content, attachments: Analysts get everything'

With the promise of further revelations, Snowden dispelled any disinformation intended to downplay the scope of US Intelligence surveillance capabilities, describing a murky legal framework with virtually no oversight which gives signals intelligence analysts carte blanche when it comes to the collection of American’s private communications.

“…if an NSA, FBI, CIA, DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency), etc. analyst has access to query raw SIGINT (signals intelligence) databases, they can enter and get results for anything they want. Phone number, email, user id, cell phone handset id (IMEI), and so on - it's all the same. The restrictions against this are policy based, not technically based, and can change at any time. Additionally, audits are cursory, incomplete, and easily fooled by fake justifications. For at least GCHQ, the number of audited queries is only 5% of those performed.”

Snowden continues that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court essentially acts as a rubberstamp judicial body which, for all intents and purposes, operates on an ad hoc basis, as “Americans’ communications are collected and viewed on a daily basis on the certification of an analyst rather than a warrant.” 

This so-called “incidental” collection has very real world implications, as the “content of your communications” which has been obtained without a warrant is still accessible to NSA workers for future use.   

When asked to clarify if by content, he means a record that the correspondence took place or the actual content itself, Snowden said the answer is “both.” 

“If I target for example an email address, for example under FAA (FISA Amendments Avy) 702, and that email address sent something to you, Joe America, the analyst gets it. All of it. IPs, raw data, content, headers, attachments, everything. And it gets saved for a very long time - and can be extended further with waivers rather than warrants.”  

000_par6583642.jpg

AFP Photo / Mehdi Fedouach

Snowden argued that for those hoping to bolster their security against invasive government snooping, encryption remains a viable option, though with one major caveat.

“Encryption works. Properly implemented strong crypto systems are one of the few things that you can rely on. Unfortunately, endpoint security is so terrifically weak that NSA can frequently find ways around it.”

Snowden concedes that US citizens do enjoy both limited “policy protections” as well as a “very weak technical protection,” albeit one which does not preclude US communications from getting swept up by Sigint ingestion points, especially once they cross the border. 

“More fundamentally, the ‘US Persons’ protection in general is a distraction from the power and danger of this system,” he stresses. 

“Suspicionless surveillance does not become okay simply because it's only victimizing 95% of the world instead of 100%. Our founders did not write that "We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all US Persons are created equal." he stresses. 

Snowden further argued that dividing people down nationalist lines was no substitute for probable cause. 

“The US Person / foreigner distinction is not a reasonable substitute for individualized suspicion, and is only applied to improve support for the program. This is the precise reason that NSA provides Congress with a special immunity to its surveillance.” 

Ending with a show of appreciation to all of his supporters, Snowden implored them to remember one fundamental point: “just because you are not the target of a surveillance program does not make it okay.”

• Upvote 4

Thank you for this post. Excellent! A REAL hero. I concur: Being called a traitor by those idiots such as: Cheney, Feinstein, etc  would be considered the HIGHEST HONOR in my life. I only hope there are more brave soul to open the door-ways to the abuses for govt and stop the madness..

• Upvote 1

With me, the jury is still out on whether Snowden is a traitor or not. But thus far, I believe he is a GREAT AMERICAN. It takes a lot to blow off a 6 figure salary for your country. We do have a Consitution and he believes in it, so much, that he was willing to basically screw up his personal life for America. I'm pretty impressed with him, so far. Surley, the propaganda media will vicerate him, to be a v.illain. But I won't bite...yet.

• Upvote 1

With me, the jury is still out on whether Snowden is a traitor or not. But thus far, I believe he is a GREAT AMERICAN. It takes a lot to blow off a 6 figure salary for your country. We do have a Consitution and he believes in it, so much, that he was willing to basically screw up his personal life for America. I'm pretty impressed with him, so far. Surley, the propaganda media will vicerate him, to be a v.illain. But I won't bite...yet.

Agreed, I'm impressed with him. You can tell a lot about a man by who his enemies are.

We need for people inside and outside of these agencies to start standing up against their illegal activities, or one day living here will be no different than any other dictator run banana republic.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By thegente
      http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-20/general-wesley-clark-suggests-putting-disloyal-americans-internment-camps
      General Wesley Clark Suggests Putting "Disloyal Americans" In Internment Camps
       07/20/2015 23:30 -0400

Iran Iraq MSNBC Somalia  
          inShare20   Submitted by Mike Krieger via Liberty Blitzkrieg blog,

If these people are radicalized and don’t support the United States, and they’re disloyal to the United States, as a matter of principal that’s fine, that’s their right. It’s our right and our obligation to segregate them from the normal community for the duration of the conflict.

– General Wesley Clark in a MSNBC interview
      Noting that the recent tyrannical, entirely anti-American comments made by General Wesley Clark during a MSNBC interview are statist and disturbing would be the understatement of the century.
      What General Clark is advocating in no uncertain terms is that the U.S. rewrite it laws to allow for the internment of Americans who the government feels have engaged in thought crime. Mind you, laws on the books are sufficiently strong to punish people engaged in actual criminal behavior. What Clark is suggesting is forcibly separating people based on their political views.
      Sure, he couches it in the war against ISIS (an entity created by U.S. government foreign policy), but once you make it policy to disappear people based on one particular type of thought, it will quickly spread to other undesirable political views.
      Please share this video with everyone you know. It’s that crazy:
      YOU MAY HAVE TO CUT AND PASTE THE LINK INTO A NEW BROWSER WINDOW

The interview is so fascist, desperate and creepy you wonder why General Clark is willing to say such totalitarian things. Does he owe powerful people favors for his crime of telling the truth about the Iraq war  many years ago when he outed U.S. Plan To Invade Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Iran right after 9/11?
      Perhaps he has to make certain amends to his overlords, recall that he took a job with financial giant Blackstone a couple of years ago: Meet the Military-Industrial-Wall Street Complex: Blackstone Hires General Wesley Clark.

I wonder, did MSNBC mention that General Clark works for Blackstone? Moreover, what should happen to foundations that accept money from countries directly funding ISIS? Should their founders also be placed in internment camps? Seem like Hillarious and Bill might qualify for such treatment: Hillarious Clinton Exposed Part 2 – Clinton Foundation Took Millions From Countries That Also Fund ISIS.
    • By thegente
      http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-18/tell-next-idiot-who-thinks-youre-unpatriotic

Tell This To The Next Idiot Who Thinks You're "Unpatriotic" on 06/18/2015 22:00 -0400

default Iraq Kuwait  

inShare   Submitted by Simon Black via Sovereign Man blog,
      I’ll never forget the Oath of Office I took when I was commissioned as an Army Intelligence Officer all those years ago.
      The most important part is where you swear to “support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic.”
      That was the part that kept ringing in my head as George W. Bush went on TV in the run-up to the Iraq war talking about weapons of mass destruction.
      We had been on the ground in Kuwait since late 2002, months before the invasion of Iraq kicked off. And every time Bush told that lie, I thought about my oath.
      I’m disappointed to admit that, back then, I didn’t have the courage to go up against the big Army machine… to march into my Battalion Commander’s office and say, “Sir, we must defend the Constitution against the President of the United States.”
      I knew I would get crushed.
      When I left the military, I started noticing all the other ways in which the government turned the Constitution into a punchline. And that practice has only accelerated.
      I came up with a different solution. Instead of fighting some faceless machine, I voted with my feet and left the country.
      That, coupled with my drastically reduced tax bill thanks to being an overseas expat, has prompted a lot of use of the word ‘unpatriotic’ since I started writing this letter six years ago.
      I find this appallingly ignorant.
      The American Revolution itself was predicated on the inequity of taxation without representation.
      Are your interests represented when they buy bombs and body scanners? Mine certainly aren’t.
      Yet people who define patriotism by the frequency and rapidity of their flag-waving think that we all have some collective duty to ignorantly believe whatever we’re told by the government.
      I disagree. So does the New Oxford American Dictionary, which defines ‘patriot’ as
      “a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.”
      There’s that phrase again– ‘defending against enemies.’
      Who exactly are these ‘enemies’, by the way? Are they men in caves who hate us for our freedom? Arab teenagers with intense sexual angst and a collection of firearms?
      No. The real enemies are not foreign… but domestic. It is the apparatus of government itself that has collapsed upon the founding document of the nation.
      It’s not unpatriotic to lament how far a government’s practices have diverged from its Constitution.
      It’s not unpatriotic to want to be free.
      And it’s not unpatriotic to take steps to make that happen.
      In fact, people who think it’s everyone’s patriotic duty to pay taxes are only feeding the beast that makes them less free.
      And it’s entirely delusional to think that all of this can change by going to a voting booth.
      There’s no politician that’s going to change this.
      Nobody is going to stand on stage and say, “My plan is to eliminate entire departments of government, fire half of all government workers, terminate social security, and default on the debt.”
      Elections are pointless charades. But rather than vote for new people, we can simply vote to restrict the resources they have available.
      Yes, there are legal obligations to pay tax. And everyone should abide those obligations or risk pointless imprisonment.
      But with proper planning, tax obligations can be minimized.
      In my case, I left the country.
      This provides up to $100,800 in tax-free income based on the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, and that’s before taking into account additional deductions, allowances, and exclusions.
      Recently I used my tax savings to finance a new prosthetic leg for an amputee war veteran that had been abandoned by the US government, and to buy food for earthquake victims here in Nepal.
      Had I not taken steps to reduce my tax bill, a big chunk of my income would have paid for more soldiers to get their legs blown off, and more bombs to be dropped by remote control on brown people.
      Instead, now I get to decide how my income and savings can best have an impact on the interests that I believe in.
      Let’s call it “representation without taxation”. And it’s completely legal as long as you follow the rules.
      Sure, not everyone has the ability to leave the country. But there are options to fit any lifestyle and circumstance.
      In addition to taxes, for example, it’s important to consider moving a portion of your savings abroad where it can’t be confiscated or frozen by capital controls.
      Safeguarding your wealth is a huge part of this strategy, in fact.
      The larger point is that taking steps to preserve your wealth and freedom is not unpatriotic.
      And for anyone who truly cares to defend your country from its domestic enemies, starving the beast is one of the most powerful tools you have available.
    • By thegente
      http://topconservativenews.com/2014/07/operation-hornets-nest-alleged-snowden-document-says-usukisrael-are-behind-isis/
      Operation Hornets Nest: Alleged Snowden document says US/UK/Israel are behind ISIS

The former employee at US National Security Agency (NSA), Edward Snowden, has revealed that the British and American intelligence and the Mossad worked together to create the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
      Snowden said intelligence services of three countries created a terrorist organisation that is able to attract all extremists of the world to one place, using a strategy called “the hornet’s nest”.
      NSA documents refer to recent implementation of the hornet’s nest to protect the Zionist entity by creating religious and Islamic slogans.
      According to documents released by Snowden, “The only solution for the protection of the Jewish state “is to create an enemy near its borders”.
      Leaks revealed that ISIS leader and cleric Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi took intensive military training for a whole year in the hands of Mossad, besides courses in theology and the art of speech..
      Facts:
      1) ISIS leader Al-Baghdadi was once a super-high level prisoner of the US government. Despite the fact that the US had offered a ten million dollar reward for him, the Obama regime ordered his release in 2009.
      2) The Obama regime, with major support from Senate neo-cons John McCain and Lindsey Graham, gave hundreds of millions in military aid to Sunni Jihadists in Syria. Thousands of individuals receiving US aid are now members of ISIS. In fact, ISIS has even posted pictures of ISIS fighters with US Senator John McCain on the internet.
      3) Israel has directly aided Sunni Jihadists in Syria by bombing Syrian military assets during Jihadist attacks.
      4) The Israeli Prime Minister has reacted to the ISIS spearheaded Sunni/Shia Civil War in Iraq with borderline glee. The president of Israel has also suggested that a Sunni/Shia war is beneficial to the future of Israel.
      5) The US and Britiain provided Sunni Jihadists with Toyota trucks in Syria. When, an army of ISIS fighters rolled over the Syria/Iraq border it looked like a commercial for Toyota.

http://inquiringminds.cc/uk-911-truth-according-to-document-released-by-nsa-whistleblower-edward-snowden-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-leader-of-isis-is-a-mossad-intelligence-asset-alex-james
      [uK-911-Truth] According to document released by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, leader of ISIS, is a MOSSAD intelligence asset – Alex James
      Posted on July 23, 2014 by Admin  
      Subject: According to document released by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, leader of ISIS, is a MOSSAD intelligence asset

Editor’s note: The validity of the document mentioned below cannot be verified due to the exclusivity of the Snowden cache. Cryptome sent a letter to various sources in possession of the documents, including The New York Times, Washington Post, The Guardian, Barton Gellman, Laura Poitrias, Glenn Greenwald, ACLU, EFF and others demanding an accounting. The allegation about ISIS and al-Baghdadi, however, pairs up with other information demonstrating ISIS is an intelligence asset.

According a document recently released by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS, now the Islamic State, is an intelligence asset.
      The NSA document reveals the United States, Israel, and Britain are responsible for the creation of ISIS.
      Earlier this month Nabil Na’eem, the founder of the Islamic Democratic Jihad Party and former top al-Qaeda commander, told the Beirut-based pan-Arab TV station al-Maydeen all current al-Qaeda affiliates, including ISIS, work for the CIA. [just like Qari Zainuddin revealed that TTP Mehsud is CIA and like Siebel Edmons revealed Bin Lade was CIA until 9/11]
      ISIS is a well-armed and trained terrorist group now in control of large areas of Iraq and Syria.
      The NSA document states the group was established by U.S., British and Israeli intelligence as part of a strategy dubbed “the hornet’s nest” to draw Islamic militants from around the world to Syria.
      The former employee at US National Security Agency (NSA), Edward Snowden, has revealed that the British and American intelligence and the Mossad worked together to create the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
      Snowden said intelligence services of three countries created a terrorist organisation that is able to attract all extremists of the world to one place, using a strategy called “the hornet’s nest”.
      NSA documents refer to recent implementation of the hornet’s nest to protect the Zionist entity by creating religious and Islamic slogans.
      According to documents released by Snowden, “The only solution for the protection of the Jewish state “is to create an enemy near its borders”.
      Leaks revealed that ISIS leader and cleric Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi took intensive military training for a whole year in the hands of Mossad, besides courses in theology and the art of speech.

Prior Evidence of al-Baghdadi Link to Intelligence and Military
      Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi “took intensive military training for a whole year in the hands of Mossad, besides courses in theology and the art of speech,” the documents explain, according to Gulf Daily News, a Bahrainian source.
      In June a Jordanian official told Aaron Klein of WorldNetDaily ISIS members were trained in 2012 by U.S. instructors working at a secret base in Jordan. In 2012 it was reported the U.S., Turkey and Jordan were running a training base for the Syrian rebels in the Jordanian town of Safawi.
      VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVywIgR0Ns

There are only two known photographs of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who now controls the most extreme Islamist army on earth. When the American military closed its Camp Bucca prison in Iraq, Baghdadi was handed over to Iraqi security forces, who let him go. Elizabeth Palmer reports.

Corporate media has added weight to myth of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, repeatedly exposed as an intelligence asset.
      Al-Baghdadi was reportedly a “civilian internee” at Camp Bucca, a U.S. military detention facility near Umm Qasr, Iraq. James Skylar Gerrond, a former U.S. Air Force security forces officer and a compound commander at Camp Bucca in 2006 and 2007, said earlier this month the camp “created a pressure cooker for extremism.”
      “Circumstantial evidence suggests that al-Baghdadi may have been mind-controlled while held prisoner by the US military in Iraq,” writes Dr. Kevin Barrett.
      Creating a Fake Terror Threat
      The hornet’s nest strategy was designed to create the perception that Israel is threatened by an enemy near its borders.
      According to the personal diary of former Israeli prime minister Moshe Sharett, however, Israel never took seriously an Arab or Muslim threat to its national security.
      “Sharett’s diary reveals in explicit language that the Israeli political and military leadership never believed in any Arab danger to Israel,” writes Ralph Schoenman. “They sought to maneuver and force the Arab states into military confrontations which the Zionist leadership were certain of winning so Israel could carry out the destabilization of Arab regimes and the planned occupation of additional territory.”
      In 1982 Oded Yinon, an Israeli journalist with links to the Israeli Foreign Ministry, wrote The Zionist Plan for the Middle East.
      The white paper proposed “that all the Arab states should be broken down, by Israel, into small units” and the “dissolution of Syria and Iraq later on into ethnically or religiously unique areas such as in Lebanon, is Israel’s primary target on the Eastern front in the long run.”
      The destruction of the Arab and Muslim states, Yinon suggested, would be accomplished from within by exploiting their internal religious and ethnic tensions.
      For more background see our ISIS and the Plan to Balkanize the Middle East.
    • By Bandit795
      http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/08/lavabit-email-shut-down-edward-snowden

• Popular Now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.