Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

My response to a DD forum member/group discussion. I would love to hear some feedback from DV members letting me know if I'm being too critical or if it is something you have considered as well. Thanks.

Stevecrb99: Spare us your from your feeble attempt to use big words.

SWFG: Hello Steve, the problem with this generation (among other things) is they don't feel the need to use good grammar and spelling anymore and this is in part bolstered by pop culture. Using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation in your writing can tell a person a lot about you.

I believe it's something employers take into consideration also. If you want respect for jobs in the future, for typing a formal writing piece, and also just gaining respect from your fellow investors. Would you hire an attorney or financial advisor who couldn't spell his own name or formulate an intelligent sentence, whether verbally or on paper?

Using good spelling and grammar isn't that hard. It's something we should all learn in order to gain respect from others. Please, take this into consideration and I guarantee you will not regret it. This will only benefit yourself and others.  It's a shame how much our culture has lost its appreciation of the written word and the affect it can have on others.

Do you think if Martin Luther King Jr. wasn't so eloquent he would have made such a positive impact on the civil rights movement?  Where would the world be without Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Faulkner, Mark Twain or Ernest Hemingway? 

This is just my opinion but I have a lot of respect for those who can express themselves well, rather than using slang or profanity to make their point.  When you read a post from a guru who claims to be connected to the most powerful people in the world yet can't differentiate between what a plural and a possessive word is, even after being told a thousand times from his or her own friends who are trying to help them gain respect what's your honest initial reaction? 

To me this shows the lack of ability to adapt, learn and quite frankly how educated you are.  We all make typos and grammatical errors.  I do it all the time but after a while usually people are able to learn and correct their mistakes. 

Another concern of mine this brings up is it shows me they don't research as much as they claim to or they would have known how to spell the words they use to make their point.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I really appreciate an individual who can hold a good conversation and I think proper communication can support a healthy relationship. Creating an exciting vernacular will bring crowds, excitement and controversy to the stage. So, a guru with half a brain should realize maybe it's worth the effort after all and could increase his/her following. 

If none of this appeals to you at least consider this, women love poetry and a man who can hold a good conversation. Men are for the most part horrible expressing their feelings where Women have the ability to see the hidden  intricacies Men often overlook. Women are somehow able to completely understand the true meaning, whether it is hidden or exposed to them its romantic. 

In conclusion, if you're a guru looking to broaden your audience or a single man hoping sweep a girl off her feet. If she were to recite to you her favorite poem or favorite author's quote, I would recommend that you try on a response that differs from your previous one where you said "Spare me your from your feeble attempt to use big words."  Just a thought and I hope you have a great night sir.

• Upvote 8

SWFG...As you know,I rarely post here, however, I must applaude you for having the courage to speak of the unspeakable. It is refreshing in our present age of sloppy chothing, half beards and general shoddiness, someone steps up and defends the power of both the written and spoken word. I have sometimes googled some of the words you have written in hopes of expanding my vocabulary for future use. 

Feel free to challenge me with "dem big old fancy words, feller" (I'm in the Mountains of NC after all) as I am appreciative of the education.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SWFlorida,

I agree with your assessment and with no disrespect, a good leader must also know his or her target audience when speaking or writing. For instance if writing a piece for a professional journal, five dollar words are acceptable and expected. If writing a children's publication then words appropriate for the age group are used.

I am not implying you utilize your phenominal grasp on the English language to impress the masses, but understand the masses on the forums come from all backgrounds and areas of expertise. Sometimes the greatest communicators have to learn that simplicity itself is a powerful tool. You have a great vocabulary and know its proper usage but don't alienate a large potential audience.

Thank you for the knowledge you bring, just be kind to the audience. :)

• Upvote 3

SWFlorida,

I agree with your assessment and with no disrespect, a good leader must also know his or her target audience when speaking or writing. For instance if writing a piece for a professional journal, five dollar words are acceptable and expected. If writing a children's publication then words appropriate for the age group are used.

I am not implying you utilize your phenominal grasp on the English language to impress the masses, but understand the masses on the forums come from all backgrounds and areas of expertise. Sometimes the greatest communicators have to learn that simplicity itself is a powerful tool. You have a great vocabulary and know its proper usage but don't alienate a large potential audience.

Thank you for the knowledge you bring, just be kind to the audience. :)

I can understand where you're coming from and you make a good point.  But it's not about me, there's nothing special about my vocabulary and I make grammatical errors all the time.  This was more in response to those who don't have respect for the English language or great minds of the past.  Geniuses whose diction I can barely even comprehend.  I have always been fascinated by truly talented people like Telsa, Einstein, Mark Twain, Davinici etc. and am frustrated that so much of that seems to be less and less important.  Improper grammar is even preferred in many areas.  Probably one reason I can't stand rap music.  Anyway, I do understand your point but don't see how you would like me to change considering those I admire most always strived for improvement.   Thanks for your advice and response though.

AMHVL, first of all I read all your posts on all the forums you go to.  In fact, I search for them.  You have a very balanced approach and have written some amazing posts which I have even saved among my files.  So, thank you.

Edited by SWFloridaGuy
  • Upvote 5

SWFGUY, I don't mind your style and I have learned a lot from you. I can tell you are a competitive spirit and I am also very type A. I just lay back more than most. I respect where you are coming from. BTW, it would be very impressive if you can tell me about my screen name here.

Edited by idplzr

I can understand where you're coming from and you make a good point.  But it's not about me, there's nothing special about my vocabulary and I make grammatical errors all the time.  This was more in response to those who don't have respect for the English language or great minds of the past.  Geniuses whose diction I can barely even comprehend.  I have always been fascinated by truly talented people like Telsa, Einstein, Mark Twain, Davinici etc. and am frustrated that so much of that seems to be less and less important.  Improper grammar is even preferred in many areas.  Probably one reason I can't stand rap music.  Anyway, I do understand your point but don't see how you would like me to change considering those I admire most always strived for improvement.   Thanks for your advice and response though.

AMHVL, first of all I read all your posts on all the forums you go to.  In fact, I search for them.  You have a very balanced approach and have written some amazing posts which I have even saved among my files.  So, thank you.

I would tend to agree and this is an int'l phenomenon anyway.. I happen to watch my beloved Italian language being raped every day by people at all cultural levels, on casual conversations, on newspapers on TV etc...I will be forever grateful to my Elementary school Teacher ( an old unmarried lady) who was so hard on us pupils in the first 2 years ( the most important, I'd say) when teaching us grammar and punctuation. She did an amazing job which I appreciated more and more while proceeding in my life  and being in contact with various Individuals  either in normal life and also at work... Speaking of my  (ex) job.. Used to work in a mortgage loan bank and had to read and check the mortgage contracts between client and bank which were prepared by a Notary ( here in Italy they are outrageously paid, it's a real shame).... Well, the grammar mistakes I'd find in these contracts were absolutely unbelievable and would once again make me appreciate the great commitment of my Elem. school teacher...

Unfortunately, I have noticed throughout the years that young folks would speak and write a worse and worse Italian also due to the teachings they'd receive in school ( then there's family, friends, etc.)... I guess I was lucky.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 4

SWFG: As I have said before, your thought processes are perfect, your grammatical composition is very professional, and your obvious research capabilities are extraordinary.  I enjoy your professional written approach to the dinar subject matter. I also appreciate your contributions thereto. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, and if I may offer my opinion; while you have an excellent command of the Queen's English, from time-to-time your reproach is to go with the really big words, those brain twisters........but only at those times of "defense" to which I applaud you.  Nevertheless, keep up the good work, I will always be looking forward to reading your articles. I look forward, with great anticipation, to the day this dinar investment comes to fruition.

SWFG..as always, I appreciate your posts. They are well written, informative, and interesting. As for your question about being too critical in your response or not...I don't think so. That being said, I think there is always a fine line when addressing someone's faults. Each person takes criticism differently so there is never a 'set in stone' answer. All of this is JMHO. 

Thanks for all you contribute here! Much appreciated!! My  :twocents:  :peace:

Now, if we could only learn affect/effect. ;)

In order to effect an affectation you often must have poise, a sense of style, a good practiced method of

delivery, and cue up on time. In order to affect an effect, you must often demonstrate knowledge of the 

effect and use appropriate materials and supporting effects to convince your target audience. This will

directly affect your effectiveness at what you are attempting to accomplish. I hope this effectively affects your ability to distinguish between the use of the words affect and effect. This should help you with having

the right affect or delivering the right effect.

NMGarand  :twocents:

Edited by NMGarand
  • Upvote 1

SWFG's last post My Friends and He Had Alot Of Class if you ask me! Rest in Peace SWFG!

• Upvote 3

He had me googling a few words myself... loved his writing style.

Same here Bama,  still spell checking and googling words, I still make mistakes.  I struggle with simple words, and affects and effects are one.  Along with there, they're and their.  Sad huh!!!  But hey I have a reason, been on cancer medication for 5 years and it's taken its toll. 

I was mesmerized by SWFGuy's writings.  Love to come over and read his post.  I would go Wow!!! what writing skills, and humble about it. 

He is laid to rest now.... he belongs to Our Father in heaven.  A magnificent place to be.   

• Upvote 1

He was the dream-student all English teachers hope they are lucky enough to have, even now and then. He made very few errors, so he really didn't need to learn much regarding grammar and punctuation, basically just to learn in what areas he most commonly might make mistakes so he would know where to spend the most time editing. All of us can make mistakes, which is why I taught students to write, and then begin the editing process which required going through the paper at various levels searching for errors, and then doing it again looking for other types of errors until they had a completed project. By the time my students could write as well as SWFloridaGuy did, they could come up with lots of interesting ideas and weren't caught up in just basic thinking, if they thought at all.  It was always fun to have really bright students because I could skim past the all-important basics of grammar and punctuation and get into working with their ideas and how best to develop them.  It's just a fact--although commas are necessary for clarity, ideas are much more interesting to work with than are commas. lol  Frankly, people who can think of interesting ideas, express them well, and draw other people into discussing them are the most interesting people, too. SWFloridaGuy qualified at that level of writing. He was quite a guy.