Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Marines Steamed by Loss of Hot Meals

I hope this works. 

The least our government can do is treat our Marines with a 5 star treatment.  Don't denied them the nutrition they need to do their job.  Fighting for our freedoms.  I think we should serve our government for 9 months of MRE meals, give them a bit of their medicine. 

I'm having to send double extra rations to my hubby so he can have the in between meals.  I just pray it makes he receives it. 

Marines steamed by loss of hot meal at Afghanistan ... - World News

worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/.../18592339-the-drawdown-diet-marines-s...

Neshin, southern Helmand province, Afghanistan.

By Bill Briggs, NBC News contributor

Marines at Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan will lose a key daily meal starting Saturday, causing some to forgo a hot breakfast and others to work six-plus hours without refueling on cooked food, according to Marines at the base and Marine Corps officials.

The midnight ration service — known there as “midrats" — supplies breakfast to Marines on midnight-to-noon shifts and dinner to Marines who are ending noon-to-midnight work periods. It's described as one of the few times the Marines at Leatherneck can be together in one place.

The base, which is located in Afghanistan’s southwestern Helmand Province, flanked by Iran and Pakistan, also will remove its 24-hour sandwich bar. It plans to replace the dishes long offered at midnight with pre-packaged MREs, said Marine Corps Lt. Col. Cliff Gilmore, who is in Afghanistan this week.

The moves, though unpopular with many Marines on the ground and their families back home, are emblematic of the massive drawdown of American troops in Afghanistan and the dismantling of U.S. military facilities. More than 30,000 U.S. service members will leave Afghanistan in coming months as the U.S. prepares to hand responsibility for security to Afghan forces in 2014.

While no Marine at Camp Leatherneck agreed to speak on the record, many are privately angry about the hit on base morale.

"This boils my skin. One of my entire shifts will go 6.5 hours without a meal. If we need to cut back on money I could come up with 100 other places,” one Leatherneck-based Marine wrote in an email this week to his wife and shared with NBC News. (The Marine declined to speak on the record.) “Instead, we will target the biggest contributor to morale. I must be losing my mind. What is our senior leadership thinking? I just got back from flying my ass off and in a few days, I will not have a meal to replenish me after being away for over 9 hours.”

more read......

Edited by pattyangel
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for getting this out Patty..seems our Government has the will to fight and the resources for the Illegal immigration..but not enough resources to feed our Troops overseas protecting us and in harm ways..Something wrong with this picture...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

As an ex-Marine. I can say that we always adapt and find a way. I recall being in the field for about 45-days straight without a hot meal, shower and C-rations as what passed for food. Marines ***** and moan all the time. That's our MO. If we weren't, there'd be something really wrong. I think this situation is only temporary to meet the change in ground forces level in Afghan.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a normal procedure during wartime. I would suggest doing some research before making an unfounded accusation here. 

Marines are tough, and I am quite sure, as a veteran, that they are not irate as the news article says. This is just more sensationalist journalism. They will have 3 meals a day.  

Pentagon battles rumors over deployed soldiers’ meals

The drawdown in Afghanistan has soldiers in at least one province adjusting to new breakfast policies, and it’s forced the Pentagon to work to set the record straight regarding suggestions that budget cuts have left troops deployed overseas without their morning meal.

A chain email has been circulating online, claiming that “elected officials believe that our military who are deployed overseas don’t have a need for breakfast anymore.”

The rumor-busting website Snopes.com picked up the chain email, as well as statements from soldiers stationed in Afghanistan and their relatives. The site noted the email was “partly true.”

According to the Pentagon, all the troops are getting breakfast, just maybe not the one they’ve been used to.

The Defense Department took to Twitter to clarify that some troops in Afghanistan’s Paktika province are receiving Meals, Ready to Eat instead of hot breakfasts as U.S. forces prepared to pull out next year.

The decision by leaders in Paktika was based off a need to reduce logistics, not because of budget cuts, military officials said in a statement. “We want to assure you that all soldiers are receiving four meals per day (if they want all four),” the statement said. Making similar changes in other areas would be up to local commanders.

Hot breakfasts have been discontinued in some areas of Afghanistan to streamline logistics, according to the Defense Department, but officials were quick to note that MREs and often other cold food items like cereal and fruit are still provided.

“Breakfast is an MRE, lunch and dinner are traditionally served hot meals, and the midnight meal is MRE,” officials said. “This has nothing to do with the national budget, and everything to do with our responsible reduction of forces.”

SOURCE

Edited by dinar_stud
  • Upvote 1

It's very expensive to keep The Lord Protector living in The White House, in Kobe Beef, Lobster, Parties & Golf.  

Got to cut back somewhere.

Not giving troops a hot meal whether in the rear or at the front is criminal.

• Upvote 2

Hey Its never good to shoot and kill people on a empty stomach.

Just saying :)  

They will still have 3 meals a day, that does not change. So no empty stomach. the will have the best in military cuisine. Just like the military members from WWI, WWII, Vietnam and Korea. MRE's.

• Upvote 1

DinarStud, I can understand why you would bring an opposing piece.  Because you believe our government could do no harm.  As for me this government has made promises and failed to keep them.  They say one thing and do another.  So I read your piece, and my take is that the pentagon is just covering their A$$.  Now we can go round and round in bringing another article after another, but to no avail, it will end in the old famous quote " we have to agree to disagree"

The reasons that are mentioned is fabricated.  Like Yota said the resources are there, it just that its being sent somewhere else.  Our servicemen and women and civilian contractor are there for you and I.  They're out in the field in 120-130 degree hot weather, carrying their equipments, they don't have the comfort as we do here at home.

Now you believe what they are saying, its based off a need to reduce logistics.  That's fine Stud.  But for me, and I'm hearing it from my hubby, I believe otherwise. 

Now Maggie,  you come here with your snide, uncaring, insensitive childish remark, I take offense to it, and I'll tell you why, cause you have insulted my husband.  I can't speak for the armed servicemen and women, but I will stand by my husband.  It wouldn't do any good to try and defend my stance on this, only because you and stud's mines are set.  So I won't. 

In your fine small print of your "PS" quote you mentioned BLACKWATER,  why, why would you mentioned that. I'm at a lost at some of the things you say.  

I think, you think, that the civilian contractors are there for just the money, well this is wrong.  A lot are there just to make ends meet/ provide for their families/ pay for their spouses medical/ survival in this economy of ours. They are there to serve our service men and women.  So that they have the needs that are needed to function.  There duties are endless. So Maggie please don't mock, or at least think before the harsh words come from you. 

So Maggie when you come here and mock them, then all I can say is that you have no idea of war and what it entails.  We civilians at home have no idea, none whatsoever. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

DinarStud, I can understand why you would bring an opposing piece.  Because you believe our government could do no harm.  As for me this government has made promises and failed to keep them.  They say one thing and do another.  So I read your piece, and my take is that the pentagon is just covering their A$$.  Now we can go round and round in bringing another article after another, but to no avail, it will end in the old famous quote " we have to agree to disagree"

The reasons that are mentioned is fabricated.  Like Yota said the resources are there, it just that its being sent somewhere else.  Our servicemen and women and civilian contractor are there for you and I.  They're out in the field in 120-130 degree hot weather, carrying their equipments, they don't have the comfort as we do here at home.

Now you believe what they are saying, its based off a need to reduce logistics.  That's fine Stud.  But for me, and I'm hearing it from my hubby, I believe otherwise. 

Pattyangel I can tell you are neither are or ever was in the military. And to that all I can say is "ignorance is bliss" and being led by the nose and told what to believe what to say is all you have done.

The article you have brought here is misleading. You do not know what happens before during and after a military conflict. This is the same thing that happened in Iraq. its called draw down, The private contractors see lose of profit and leave before the incurre in losses. 

Our military members are not going to go hungry, MRE's now a days are way better the the C-rats in WWI or the MRE's of the Vietnam War. By this time next year our men and women will be back home. 

Edited by dinar_stud
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is what we get with a scumbag liberal democrat in office. This country has become something only in nightmares. When our solders keep getting s*it on and the citizens constantly lied to. All this will eventually come to a head when the rebellion starts.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

This is what we get with a scumbag liberal democrat in office. This country has become something only in nightmares. When our solders keep getting s*it on and the citizens constantly lied to. All this will eventually come to a head when the rebellion starts.

Sxsess you are so full of it it isn't even funny.

Where was the ire when the republicans in congress filibustered and voted against more help to the veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, to mention the last 2. Where was the name calling and attitude when those same republicans suggested to take money away from the Veteran Administration to "payoff" the Budget they helped to inflate??

Hypocrisy. but coming from you I dont expect anything else.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Pattyangel I can tell you are neither are or ever was in the military. And to that all I can say is "ignorance is bliss" and being led by the nose and told what to believe what to say is all you have done.

The article you have brought here is misleading. You do not know what happens before during and after a military conflict. This is the same thing that happened in Iraq. its called draw down, The private contractors see lose of profit and leave before the incurre in losses. 

Our military members are not going to go hungry, MRE's now a days are way better the the C-rats in WWI or the MRE's of the Vietnam War. By this time next year our men and women will be back home. 

For one thing, no one said anything about them going hungry.  So you can drop the hunger line. 

It doesn't phase me that you call me uneducated, you can call me anything you want, but your wrong.  I'll leave at that.  

And here we have the famous ole' quote..."we agree to disagree.   

• Upvote 1

For one thing, no one said anything about them going hungry.  So you can drop the hunger line. 

It doesn't phase me that you call me uneducated, you can call me anything you want, but your wrong.  I'll leave at that.  

And here we have the famous ole' quote..."we agree to disagree.   

.we can agrre to whatever you want, but when it comes to this I will tell you, you are wrong and misguided,

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

.we can agrre to whatever you want, but when it comes to this I will tell you, you are wrong and misguided,

Okay whatever, oh my gosh I sounded like Maggie.  LOL!!! 

Dinar_Stud, I'll let you be the man on this one.  :peace:  You have a good day. ;)

Edited by pattyangel
  • Upvote 1

Sxsess you are so full of it it isn't even funny.

Where was the ire when the republicans in congress filibustered and voted against more help to the veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, to mention the last 2. Where was the name calling and attitude when those same republicans suggested to take money away from the Veteran Administration to "payoff" the Budget they helped to inflate??

Hypocrisy. but coming from you I dont expect anything else.

Wow dinar stud that's kinda harsh. Where in that post did I promote republicans? IMO most republicans, like worthless John McCain, are no better. I don't know why I call me a hypocrite. I see myself as a conservative American that stands for freedom and liberty. I don't know your stance, but I'm not going to insult you. Maybe you don't like things I have said in the past, but I can tell you I have nothing but disdain for this government and its disregard for the US Constitution. If everyone in our government were like Ted Cruz, which called out democrats and republicans just a few days ago, this country would recover. So I guess I'm still a hypocrite.

• Upvote 2

I have decided that after reading this, that I will contact my Congressman this week and voice my disappointment with this issue. This is uncalled for, and I being a former Seabee, can respect the need to be on C-Rats for an extended time. However, one of the best morale boosters for today's soldier a good hot meal and most of all a full belly after a hard day in the field no matter what hour of the day they come in from the field.

I suggest all interested Vets and others give their representative hell and get the steaks and burgers back on. What did your Congressman or Senator have today after a long day on the floor? Maybe a can of greasy cold corned beef?

• Upvote 8

Seabee I'm not a veteran but I'm with you 100%. Your veterans are our most precious people in this country. I'm constantly emailing and calling my representatives along with others outside my area on many subjects. I will also be contacting them on this ridiculous & unacceptable issue. The people that should be penalized are these despicable politicians. Barack Obama has really proven where his priorities. Pathetic.

• Upvote 3

Seabee I'm not a veteran but I'm with you 100%. Your veterans are our most precious people in this country. I'm constantly emailing and calling my representatives along with others outside my area on many subjects. I will also be contacting them on this ridiculous & unacceptable issue. The people that should be penalized are these despicable politicians. Barack Obama has really proven where his priorities. Pathetic.

It's good to see that you and other good civilians are willing to stand up to the oppressors of this great country and hopefully knock em back a few rungs. Way to go!!!!

• Upvote 3