Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

Sign in to follow this  
UNEEK

Six Boys And Thirteen Hands - Memorial Day Tribute

1774456.jpg?276

Post Made By Chacha From ******

LETS SEE IF YOU CAN READ THIS WITH OUT A TEAR COMING TO YOUR EYE

Six Boys And Thirteen Hands...

Each year I am hired to go to Washington, DC, with the eighth grade class from Clinton, WI, where I grew up, to videotape their trip. I greatly enjoy visiting our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special memories back with me. This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima memorial. This memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of the most famous photographs in history -- that of the six brave soldiers raising the American Flag at the top of a rocky hill on the island of Iwo Jima, Japan, during WW II.

Over one hundred students and chaperones piled off the buses and headed toward the memorial. I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the statue, and as I got closer, he asked, 'Where are you guys from?'

I told him that we were from Wisconsin. 'Hey, I'm a Cheesehead, too! Come gather around, Cheeseheads, and I will tell you a story.'

It was James Bradley who just happened to be in Washington, DC, to speak at the memorial the following day. He was there that night to say good night to his dad, who had passed away. He was just about to leave when he saw the buses pull up.

I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his permission to share what he said from my videotape. It is one thing to tour the incredible monuments filled with history in Washington, DC, but it is quite another to get the kind of insight we received that night.

When all had gathered around, he reverently began to speak. (Here are his words that night.)

'My name is James Bradley, and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin. My dad is on that statue, and I just wrote a book called 'Flags of Our Fathers' which is #5 on the New York Times Best Seller list right now. It is the story of the six boys you see behind me.

'Six boys raised the flag. The first guy putting the pole in the ground is Harlon Block. Harlon was an all-state football player. He enlisted in the Marine Corps with all the senior members of his football team. They were off to play another type of game, a game called 'War.' But it didn't turn out to be a game.

Harlon, at the age of 21, died with his intestines in his hands. I don't say that to gross you out; I say that because there are people who stand in front of this statue and talk about the glory of war. You guys need to know that most of the boys in Iwo Jima were 17, 18, and 19 years old - and it was so hard that the ones who did make it home never would talk to their families about it.

(He pointed to the statue.) 'You see this next guy? That's Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire. If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo was taken and looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a photograph...a photograph of his girlfriend.

Rene put that there for protection, because he was scared. He was 18 years old. It was just boys who won the battle of Iwo Jima. Boys. Not old men.

'The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike Strank. Mike is my hero. He was the hero of all these guys. They called him the 'old man' because he was so old. He was already 24.

When Mike would motivate his boys in training camp, he didn't say, 'Let's go kill some ****' or 'Let's die for our country.' He knew he was talking to little boys. Instead he would say, 'You do what I say, and I'll get you home to your mothers.'

'The last guy on this side of the statue is Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from Arizona .. Ira Hayes was one of them who lived to walk off Iwo Jima. He went into the White House with my dad. President Truman told him, 'You're a hero.' He told reporters, 'How can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the island with me and only 27 of us walked off alive?'

So you take your class at school, 250 of you spending a year together having fun, doing everything together. Then all 250 of you hit the beach, but only 27 of your classmates walk off alive. That was Ira Hayes. He had images of horror in his mind.

Ira Hayes carried the pain home with him and eventually died dead drunk, face down, drowned in a very shallow puddle, at the age of 32 (10 years after this picture was taken).

'The next guy, going around the statue, is Franklin Sousley from Hilltop, Kentucky, a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. His best friend, who is now 70, told me, 'Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop General Store.

Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get down. Then we fed them Epsom salts. Those cows crapped all night.' Yes, he was a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy.

Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of 19. When the telegram came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the Hilltop General Store. A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his mother's farm. The neighbors could hear her scream all night and into the morning Those neighbors lived a quarter of a mile away.

'The next guy, as we continue to go around the statue, is my dad, John Bradley, from Antigo, Wisconsin, where I was raised. My dad lived to 1994, but he would never give interviews. When Walter Cronkite's producers or the New York Times would call, we were trained as little kids to say, 'No, I'm sorry, sir, my dad's not here.

He is in Canada fishing. No, there is no phone there, sir. No, we don't know when he is coming back.' My dad never fished or even went to Canada. Usually, he was sitting there right at the table eating his Campbell 's soup. But we had to tell the press that he was out fishing. He didn't want to talk to the press.

'You see, like Ira Hayes, my dad didn't see himself as a hero. Everyone thinks these guys are heroes, because they are in a photo and on a monument. My dad knew better. He was a medic. John Bradley from Wisconsin was a combat caregiver.

On Iwo Jima he probably held over 200 boys as they died. And when boys died on Iwo Jima, they writhed and screamed without any medication or help with the pain.

'When I was a little boy, my third-grade teacher told me that my dad was a hero. When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said, 'I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back. Did NOT come back.'

'So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7,000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps. My voice is giving out, so I will end here. Thank you for your time.'

Suddenly, the monument wasn't just a big old piece of metal with a flag sticking out of the top. It came to life before our eyes with the heartfelt words of a son who did indeed have a father who was a hero. Maybe not a hero for the reasons most people would believe, but a hero nonetheless.

We need to remember that God created this vast and glorious world for us to live in, freely, but also at great sacrifice.

Let us never forget from the Revolutionary War to the current War on Terrorism and all the wars in-between that sacrifice was made for our freedom.

Remember to sing praises for this great country of ours and also please pray for our troops still in murderous places around the world.

Stop and thank God for being alive and being free due to someone else's sacrifice.

REMINDER: Everyday that you can wake up free, it's going to be a great day.

One thing I learned while on tour with my eighth grade students in DC that is not mentioned here is that if you look at the statue very closely and count the number of hands raising the flag, there are 13. When the man who made the statue was asked why there were 13, he simply said that the 13th hand was the hand of God.

Great story - worth your time - worth every American's time

• Upvote 2

Okay Uneek, I could not hold back the flood gate.  Thank you for sharing, just beautiful.  I need to find some kleenx now. 

MSN-Emoticon-sad-crying-025.gif

Patty, I know what you  mean, today has been a sobbing day - glad I did not have  any clients  today -  Between the shock of Poof passing and  these wonderful stories  to celebrate our Veterans I  have been  a   mess - 

My father and one brother  served in the Army; an uncle  in the Navy and a few others - I wanted to join the Navy after High School but my parents would  not sign for me and by the time  I reached the age of signing myself my life had changed -

There is a very large Veterans Hospital here in my town - I  know  doctors there and have seen a good many patients there as clients - Our local Elks Club  does  a lot for  the veterans and one year I was involved  and it was a very rewarding experience - We still have a small parade to celebrate

Nothing is too good for our Veterans and yet I feel they do not get near "enough" compassion, understanding, appreciation, and personal care.  I hope the Wounded Warrior  Org. will be supported post RV and many wonderful things done for  our vets!!

Thanks for reading the post - I found it very touching and did not remember those facts - It  was especially nice hearing them from one whose  father was one of  them in the statue - ((HUGS))

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By UNEEK
      If you can't be with the one you love -- Love the one you're with   (even if it's just you)   UNEEK 

HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A FANTASTIC DAY

• By UNEEK
      Good Evening  --  I have wondered from time to time why Zap / Poof has not been posted here -  but guessed that he / they  evidently was somehow put with all the other  disliked / hated gurus --  I guess  Poof was "out there" a little bit -  lol --  but I really enjoyed reading his writings -- He had a distinct style and I enjoyed reading just for the pleasure of reading that unique style --

Zap  is more on the light hearted side with his flying purple pigs    --  I continue to read him  and  that is all -  just read to stay up to date with what he is saying -  I do not put any wagers on what he says - I do not make any decisions based on what he says -- I just read it -- like I would read the newspaper -- lol

I have put myself out there on a limb again by bringing this mid week writing from  Zap -- but hey wait just a minute before you jump the gun  and brutally attack me please --    this one is different --  It does have some value to it --  at least in my opinion --  It makes sense -  There is wisdom in these words - if you want to see it --  I just wanted to share a little something different tonight for your reading pleasure - there is plenty of sad depressing news -- too much in fact  - As Always....... UNEEK

ZAP Mid - Week:

IN CONTINUATION OF LAST SUNDAY’S WRITING, THE PROCESSES ARE MOVING FORWARD WELL. ALREADY I HAVE RECEIVED MORE REPORTS OF THE BEGINNING FEW THAT HAVE BEEN PAID ON THEIR ASSETS TRANSACTED ON LAST YEAR.

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, THE UNIVERSE IS CONSPIRING TO GIVE US THE JOY AND PROSPERITY WRITTEN INTO THE PLAN LONG AGO.

RIGHT NOW, THE ONLY SNIPPET OF INTEL OUT THERE IS THAT SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO OCCUR TOMORROW (THURSDAY) IN RESPECT TO THE GCR. OTHERWISE, ALL IS IN PRETTY GOOD BLACKOUT MODE AT THE MOMENT

SO THAT’S ALL FOR THIS WEEK. NOT MUCH. JUST ANTICIPATION OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

SO, THIS WEEK, SINCE THERE IS LITTLE TO SPEAK TO, I DECIDED TO COMPILE A LOT OF GOOD STUFF TO SAY IN A LONG PARAGRAPH BECAUSE PAIN AND SUFFERING ARE INEVITABLE, BUT MISERY IS OPTIONAL.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE BEST OUT OF LIFE AND WHAT YOU MAKE OUT OF IT…KINDA LIKE PLAY-DOH.

OFTEN GREAT AND HELPFUL IDEAS CAN SIMPLY BE ONE THOUGHT THAT COMES AT THE RIGHT TIME AND TOUCHES THE HEART WHEN IT IS NEEDED MOST BECAUSE LIFE IS A PROCESS OF GETTING TO KNOW YOUR SELF.

WHAT YOU LOVE IS WHAT YOU ARE HERE TO DO AND PEOPLE GET INTO TROUBLE NOT BECAUSE THEY WANT TOO MUCH BUT BECAUSE THEY SETTLE FOR TOO LITTLE.

PUT INTO YOUR CONSCIOUSNESS WHAT YOU EXPECT TO TAKE OUT OF IT.

EVERY HUMAN BEING IS A SELF ORGANIZING SYSTEM.

SYSTEMS CAN BE CHANGED TO PRODUCE NEW AND BETTER RESULTS AND SINCE FORGIVING AND FORGETTING IS THE SAME PROCESS, START WITH FORGIVING YOURSELF.

SO IF LIFE THROWS ROCKS AT YOU, DO NOT DESPAIR.

THE BUBBLING BROOK WOULD LOSE ITS SONG IF YOU REMOVED THE ROCKS.

NEVER CRY BECAUSE IT IS OVER, JUST SMILE THAT IT HAPPENED AS HAPPINESS COMES THROUGH DOORS YOU DIDN’T EVEN KNOW YOU LEFT OPEN, SO EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS OK IN THE END.

IF IT’S NOT, THEN IT’S NOT THE END.

BE KIND.

ONE GOOD EXERCISE FOR THE HEART IS TO BEND DOWN AND HELP ANOTHER UP.

IF ALL MY FRIENDS JUMPED OFF A CLIFF, I WOULDN'T JUMP WITH THEM. I WOULD BE AT THE BOTTOM TO CATCH THEM.

ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT THE UNIVERSE ALWAYS WANTS BIGGER & BETTER THINGS FOR YOU.

YOU CAN HAVE EVERYTHING YOU DESIRE.

YOU ARE NEVER GIVEN A DREAM WITHOUT ALSO BEING GIVEN THE POWER TO MAKE IT COME TRUE.

NEVER TAKE ADVICE FROM ANYONE WHO HAS NOT CREATED THAT WHICH YOU DESIRE IN YOUR LIFE. THESE PEOPLE HAVE THE OPINION OF WANTING TO SAVE YOU FROM YOURSELF.

IT'S JUST THEIR OPINION. IT MAY BE WRONG FOR THEM –

HOWEVER, IT'S EXACTLY RIGHT FOR YOU & WHAT YOU WANT. SO STOP TRYING TO GET EVERYTHING PERFECT AT ONCE. CREATE ALONG THE WAY.

DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT FOR YOU AND DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO HOLD YOU BACK.

JUST DO IT.

FOCUS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IN YOUR LIFE. WHAT YOU WANT TO CREATE IN YOUR LIFE.

YOU CAN HAVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU DESIRE. YOU CAN CREATE IN YOUR WORLD ALL THAT YOU WANT. SEE IT IN YOUR MINDS EYE. FEEL IT IN YOUR HEART. FLOOD YOUR BODY WITH IT.

THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU DESIRE RIGHT BEFORE YOU GO TO SLEEP & HAVE YOUR MIND THINK ABOUT IT ALL NIGHT. WHEN YOU REALLY BELIEVE IT, YOU CAN CREATE EVERYTHING YOU DESIRE IN YOUR LIFE.

BELIEVE THAT YOU POSSESS SIGNIFICANT RESERVES OF HEALTH, ENERGY AND ENDURANCE AND YOUR BELIEF WILL CREATE THE FACT BUT BE COGNIZANT OF THE FACT THAT THE MAN WHO INSISTS UPON SEEING WITH PERFECT CLEARNESS BEFORE HE DECIDES, NEVER DECIDES.

IT DOES NOT REQUIRE A MAJORITY TO PREVAIL, BUT RATHER AN IRATE, TIRELESS MINORITY KEEN TO SET BRUSH FIRES IN PEOPLE'S MINDS.

NOTHING IN LIFE IS TO BE FEARED, IT IS ONLY TO BE UNDERSTOOD SO LET HIM THAT WOULD MOVE THE WORLD, FIRST MOVE HIMSELF AS NOTHING IN THIS WORLD IS SO POWERFUL AS AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME.

AND NO, WAR IS NOT GOD'S WAY OF TEACHING US GEOGRAPHY. PAUSE TO REFLECT ON THE REAL SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD:

1. TO TOUCH
      2. TO TASTE
      3. TO SEE
      4. TO HEAR
      5. TO FEEL
      6. TO LAUGH
      7. AND TO LOVE

AND THOSE WHO WERE SEEN DANCING WERE THOUGHT TO BE INSANE BY THOSE WHO COULD NOT HEAR THE MUSIC BY THE PURPLE PIG PORK BAND.

AND FINALLY, FOR THOSE THAT HAVE EXPERIENCED FAILURE IN ANY UNDERTAKING, KNOW THAT GOOD PLANS ARE EASY TO COME BY.

FOR EVERY BAD PLAN, I WILL SHOW YOU 10 GOOD ONES. BUT SHOW ME A MAN WHO CAN MEND A BROKEN PLAN, AND I WILL MAKE HIM FREE OF MY QUARTERDECK AND MASTER OF HIS OWN SHIP.

THE TEST TO FIND WHETHER YOUR MISSION ON EARTH IS FINISHED: IF YOU'RE ALIVE, IT ISN'T.

IN REGAL GRATITUDE. THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO HAVE FUN. ZAP

“GOD IS; I AM; WE ARE” “BE GOOD, BE LEGAL, TELL TRUTH”

YOUR INTENT DETERMINES YOUR FOCUS.

YOUR FOCUS DETERMINES YOUR REALITY.

YOUR REALITY DETERMINES YOUR DESTINY.

February 4, 2015   Copyright ZAP 2013-2015
    • By UNEEK
      Parable Of The Pencil

The Pencil Maker took the pencil aside, just before putting him into the box.

There are 5 things you need to know, he told the pencil, before I send you out into the world. Always remember them and never forget, and you will become the best pencil you can be.

One: You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in Someone's hand.

Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, but you'll need it to become a better pencil.

Three: You will be able to correct any mistakes you might make.

Four: The most important part of you will always be what's inside.

And Five: On every surface you are used on, you must leave your mark. No matter what the condition, you must continue to write.

The pencil understood and promised to remember, and went into the box with purpose in its heart.

Now replacing the place of the pencil with you; always remember them and never forget, and you will become the best person you can be.

One: You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in God's hand. And allow other human beings to access you for the many gifts you possess.

Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, by going through various problems, but you'll need it to become a stronger person.

Three: You will be able to correct any mistakes you might make.

Four: The most important part of you will always be what's on the inside.

And Five: On every surface you walk through, you must leave your mark. No matter what the situation, you must continue to do your duties.

By understanding and remembering, let us proceed with our life on this earth having a meaningful purpose in our heart.

~ Author Unknown ~

• By UNEEK
      This really struck a cord with me this morning --

I know I have started things many times at a disadvantage -

I am no Einstein - Aristotle or Da Vinci but they continue to be my role models for creativity & excellence!!  Maybe for gratitude Helen Keller - compassion Mother Teresa & Gandhi --  For perseverance Thomas Edison - for patience Job --  for forgiveness Jesus --

We all have our struggles -- we all have our own unique weaknesses & vulnerabilities -- We all also have our own defined gifts & talents & strengths

We all make choices & decisions based on our level of knowledge & understanding but they can greatly be influenced by the above factors  and  our emotions  / attitude

I hope this will be a gentle reminder and will help you through any struggle or difficult time you are dealing with - UNEEK

It's Time - Arise!

Tonight I heard a minister tell a story that I found very insightful and I want to share it with you. He told a story about the Olympics that happened several years ago.

Apparently it had rained heavily the day before the qualifications for runners. The track was extremely wet; they did all they could to get the water off the track but there were some spots where the water still remained.

The officials knew it could possibly cause one of the runners to stumble, as the water was contained to one certain spot on the track, where only one runner would be placed.

As that runner ran where the water was, sure enough, he slipped and fell. As he lay there on the ground, the crowd could hear him cursing and swearing. He did not qualify for the Olympics that year.

As the next round of runners approached the track to qualify, the officials were once again concerned that the water spot would affect another runner; and it did.

The runner that was in the same place as the one who had slipped and fallen was the one affected; as he approached the area where the water stood, he slipped and fell in the water, however what happened next allowed him to have an entirely different outcome from the first runner who had fallen.

When the second runner slipped in the water and fell, instead of staying down, instead of lying there cursing, he instead pushed himself to roll and get back up and continue the race and it only caused him to gain more momentum and he won the race.

The thing I want you to see is this; there will always be hindrances or obstacles that come in our path as we are running the race, what matters most is what we do when we slip and fall.

We can do like the first guy when we slip and fall; we can become angry and curse and stay down, becoming disqualified for the prize at the end of the race. Or...when we slip and fall, we can push ourselves back up, gain momentum and finish the race...and get the prize.

Your attitude is never more important than it is when you are seemingly down. The very moment you slip and fall or when an obstacle suddenly stops you in your tracks is the most important time to keep a good attitude and continue to press forward.

We have an enemy and he will do whatever he can to cause you to stumble and fall and perhaps he will even succeed at putting a stumbling block in your way however that doesn't mean that weapon has to prosper against you, you can choose to use it as a stepping stone instead of a stumbling block and it can cause you to rise even higher..depending on your reaction to it.

Failure doesn't come when we fall; it comes when we refuse to get back up.

I once heard a statement in a Rocky Balboa movie that said 'it's not how hard you can hit that wins the fight, it's how hard you can get hit and keep getting back up.'

I love the scripture that says 'don't rejoice when I fall for I shall arise.' That is a covenant person speaking, they know even if they fall, it is not the end for them, they shall arise.

They don't think 'maybe I will arise, no, they know they SHALL arise...it is a sure thing.'

Life may get you down from time to time...but don't let it keep you down. Get back up. Finish the race. Get the prize. Let nothing stop you from getting to the finish line. After all, nothing has the power to stop you but you.

Kim Potter  A New Thing Ministries  PO Box 750  Dayton, TN 37321
    • By UNEEK
      Strange to get this result as I do not "feel" strong many times when things are hectic and seemingly overwhelming ! Things have been very hectic this past year and very overwhelming to say the least - My faith & hope in my mission & legacy and passion are my fuels  

What are your results? Take the test by clicking on the link below - copy the results and share with us -- <3 <3 

You are: Exceptionally Strong Your resiliency level is: exceptionally gifted. You are mentally tough. A good analogy for you would be the Energizer Bunny -- basically something that just keeps going and going no matter what.

You are able to overcome difficult situations and remain cool, calm and collected. You are always prepared to seek solutions and get back on track. You almost never let disappointments deter you from what you want -- instead, you stay focused and plan to be successful.

The hardships you've faced in your life have been instrumental in developing this kind of amazing strength and perseverance within you.

http://bitecharge.com/play/mentalstrength?sess=q1#q1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.