Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

A National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 crashed at Bagram AF Afghanistan

rico1

We had a bad day here in Afghanistan today. A 747 crashed at Bagram airbase about 1530 local looks like no one survived, base is on lock down.

Crash: National Air Cargo B744 at Bagram on Apr 29th 2013, lost height shortly after takeoff

By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, Apr 29th 2013 14:02Z, last updated Monday, Apr 29th 2013 16:57ZA National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 freighter on behalf of US Mobility Command, registration N949CA performing cargo flight N8-102 from Bagram (Afghanistan) to Dubai Al Maktoum (United Arab Emirates) with 8 crew, has crashed shortly after takeoff from Bagram Air Base's runway 03 at 15:30L (11:00Z) and erupted into flames near the end of the runway with the perimeter of the Air Base. All 8 crew are reported perished in the crash.

Afghan Authorities immediately denied claims that the crash of a large civilian cargo aircraft was the result of enemy activities. A large fire erupted after the aircraft impacted ground, it appears all crew have been killed.

Coalition Forces reported a civilian large cargo planed crashed shortly after takeoff, at the time of the accident there was no enemy activity around the aerodrome. Rescue and Recovery efforts are under way, the Air Base is currently locked down and the aerodrome is closed.

National Air Cargo confirmed their aircraft N949CA with 8 crew crashed at Bagram.

Several observers on the ground reported the National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 had just lifted off and was climbing through approximately 1200 feet when it's nose sharply rose, the aircraft appeared to have stalled and came down erupting in a blaze.

According to a listener on frequency the crew reported the aircraft stalled due to a possible load shift.

National Air Cargo operates three Boeing 747-400s with the registrations N952CA, N919CA and N949CA. N949CA operated into Afghanistan yesterday (Apr 28th).

Pattyangel, this is the latest news that I have been able to find. the good news is I haven't heard of anyone on the ground being hurt. I hope that you husband is OK and not in harms way.

I just got done talking to my wife and she hasn't seen or heard of it on the news. Also from what I am hearing there was not any enemy action that brought it down. Although the spring offensive has started. We had three rocket attacks here last night.

7 dead in civilian cargo aircraft crash at Afghanistan's Bagram Air Field

Published April 29, 2013

Associated Press

KABUL, Afghanistan –  The U.S.-led military coalition says seven people died when a civilian cargo aircraft crashed at Bagram Air Field, north of the Afghan capital.

In a statement, the coalition confirmed that all seven civilian crew members were killed in Monday's crash.

The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility for the crash. But the coalition denied that, saying in a statement to The Associated Press that the militant group's statement was false.

The coalition said there was no militant activity during the time of the crash.

The coalition said the cause of the accident is being investigated.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/04/29/civilian-cargo-aircraft-crashes-at-bagram-air-field-in-afghanistan/#ixzz2Rub0nsXh

Edited by rico1
  • Upvote 1

We had some guy's fly down from Bagram today and they saw the crash and a had picture of the plane coming down.

They told me that the plane had just lifted off and was on the climb out and the nose of the plane went up at a steep angle then it rolled over to the right and went down. They showed me a picture of it rolling over. They also had a picture of the crash site as they flew out of Bagram over the site. All that you could see was the tail.

Why is it that a *** basketball player makes the new but a crash of a 747 in Afghanistan doesn't.

I pray for the families that lost loved ones and pray that the good lord will look over them and provide them comfort in this time of sorrow.

Edited by rico1
  • Upvote 3

http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/04/national-air-cargo-747-crash-at-bagram-afghanistan/#.UYAU5EqhzKf

VIDEO: National Air Cargo 747 Crashes at Bagram, Afghanistan

More articles by Jason Rabinowitz »
By: Jason Rabinowitz
Tags: Afghanistan, crash, national, national air cargo

BJBDx-8CMAEF3zF-620x465.jpg

The crash site of a National Air Cargo 747 (Credit: Albert Ramirez, Twitter)

On Monday morning, a National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 N949CA, operated on behalf of US Mobility Command, has crashed just after takeoff from Bagram Air Base with 7 crew members on board. The following is a dashcam video showing the full crash. You can see the aircraft’s nose pitch up heavily, stall, then fall to the ground.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c32_1367332518

(Sorry folks - you will have to click the link above to view the video)

The Aviation Herald reports that the aircraft appeared to stall just after takeoff, and that the crash may have been caused by a shifting load.

METAR at the time of the crash:
AKB 291350Z 18004KT 7000 BKN050 13/04 Q1016 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
OAKB 291250Z 30007KT 9999 SCT040CB BKN060 15/01 Q1015 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
OAKB 291150Z 10017G27KT 9999 VCTS SCT090CB BKN120 16/06 Q1013 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
OAKB 291050Z 11020G30KT 9999 SCT090 OVC120 16/05 Q1012 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
OAKB 290950Z 10020G30KT 9999 SCT080CB 17/06 Q1012 NOSIG RMK BLU+ BLU+
OAKB 290850Z 10025G42KT 9999 FEW060CB SCT070 17/05 Q1013 NOSIG RMK BLU+ BLU+
OAKB 290750Z 11020G30KT 9999 BKN060 17/06 Q1014 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
OAKB 290650Z 10017KT 9999 FEW050 BKN060 16/05 Q1015 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU

DSC_0053-620x410.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thank you TexasGranny for the video. I just got up this morning and saw that it had been posted to YouTube and was going to post it myself. all this video is graphic it show the last seconds of the seven crew members life. I have been to Bagram Airbase and this is at the south end of the runway along the perimeter road between ECP1 and ECP2.

• Upvote 1

Thanks RIco for the update.  Finally made contact with him and all is well.  He said, they had some bad weather (hail storm) a couple days back.  He got hit by some of the hail.  Ouch for him. 

I did read about the spring offensive beginning. You guys stay as safe as you can. Duck, run, crawl and blend in with the sand.  LOL!!!! 

I try to stay up to par with what is going on over there.  I don't know, I just feel better when I do, keeps the worrying down a bit.  But I do get concern when days go by with no word.  Our communication has been the pits.  No skype, trouble getting connection and  texting is slow. 

I just ask God to keep him safe and accept what His plans are for us.  Let me tell you, it is heavy.  I'm sure you can vouch for this, along with your wife. 

Praying for all of you, and passing some prayers to your wife.  I know what her heart feels. 

This finally made the news--albeit NPR. Probably not going to see this on mainstream and televised.

And this is *only* because it was captured on video and posted to YouTube [NPR has a caveat that questions the validity of the video]

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/30/180107632/video-may-show-747-jets-last-seconds-before-bagram-crash?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130501

Note: the video itself is disturbing to watch

• Upvote 1

Thanks RIco for the update.  Finally made contact with him and all is well.  He said, they had some bad weather (hail storm) a couple days back.  He got hit by some of the hail.  Ouch for him. 

I did read about the spring offensive beginning. You guys stay as safe as you can. Duck, run, crawl and blend in with the sand.  LOL!!!! 

I try to stay up to par with what is going on over there.  I don't know, I just feel better when I do, keeps the worrying down a bit.  But I do get concern when days go by with no word.  Our communication has been the pits.  No skype, trouble getting connection and  texting is slow. 

I just ask God to keep him safe and accept what His plans are for us.  Let me tell you, it is heavy.  I'm sure you can vouch for this, along with your wife. 

Praying for all of you, and passing some prayers to your wife.  I know what her heart feels. 

I am glad that you got a hold of him and that he is OK. My wife and I are lucky, i have access to satellite internet and we are able to skype every day.

Until I took the position that I am in at this time I traveled all over the country in all kinds of aircraft at least twice a week going to Fob's and my wife's biggest worry was that I would go down in a chopper of cargo plane as that is the mod of travel for most movement in country.

Thank you for your prayers and I hope that your husband stay's safe.

God Bless

This finally made the news--albeit NPR. Probably not going to see this on mainstream and televised.

And this is *only* because it was captured on video and posted to YouTube [NPR has a caveat that questions the validity of the video]

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/30/180107632/video-may-show-747-jets-last-seconds-before-bagram-crash?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130501

Note: the video itself is disturbing to watch

They can question the validity of it all they want. I know three people that witnessed the accident and have also seen the video and they all have told me that it is not fake and it shows the accident as it happened.

You are correct. the only reason that it is in the news now is because of the video of the crash and we all know news rooms love a good disaster video to boost their ratings.

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to let everyone know that the hero's we lost from this plane accident, are coming home to their families. The remains of these wonderful angels will be reunited with their family's.  

These final days will be hard on the families, so please take some time out of your day and keep each one in your prayers.

:(