Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Gov. Perry disgusted by California newspaper cartoon depicting explosion after deadly West blast

jonjon

Gov. Perry disgusted by California newspaper cartoon depicting explosion after deadly West blast

April 27, 2013

Washington Post

Associated Press

Plant%20Explosion%20Cartoon.JPEG-06360.j

AUSTIN, Texas — Gov. Rick Perry said Friday he’s disgusted a California newspaper ran a cartoon that depicts him boasting about booming business in Texas, then shows an explosion, a week after a fertilizer plant explosion killed 14 people in a Texas town.

Perry said he wants an apology from the Sacramento Bee on behalf of the town.

The cartoon in Thursday’s edition shows Perry crowing that “Business is Booming,” flanked by signs saying “Low Tax!” and “’Low Regs!” It’s a play on the Republican’s often-repeated mantra that his state’s low-regulation, business-friendly climate has its economy humming.

The next panel reads “Boom!” as a blast engulfs the area behind the governor and his signs.

An April 17 explosion in the town of West, which is outside Waco, left a crater more than 90 feet wide and is estimated to have caused more than $100 million in damage. The blast occurred moments after a fire was reported at the West Fertilizer plant.

Ten of the people killed were first responders who rushed to the nighttime blaze.

In a letter to the Bee’s editor, Perry said it “was with extreme disgust and disappointment I viewed your recent cartoon.”

“While I will always welcome healthy policy debate, I won’t stand for someone mocking the tragic deaths of my fellow Texans and our fellow Americans,” Perry wrote. “Additionally, publishing this on the very day our state and nation paused to honor and mourn those who died only compounds the pain and suffering of the many Texans who lost family and friends in this disaster.”

President Barack Obama was among those who attended a memorial service for the explosion victims Thursday at Baylor University in Waco.

The Bee’s editorial page editor, Stuart Leavenworth, responded Friday that the artist, Jack Ohman, “made a strong statement about Gov. Rick Perry’s disregard for worker safety, and his attempts to market Texas a place where industries can thrive with few regulations.”

“It is unfortunate that Gov. Perry, and some on the blogosphere, have attempted to interpret the cartoon as being disrespectful for the victims of this tragedy,” Leavenworth said. “As Ohman has made clear on his blog, he has complete empathy for the victims and people living by the plant.

“What he finds offensive is a governor who would gamble with the lives of families by not pushing for the strongest safety regulations. Perry’s letter is an attempt to distract people from that message.”

Ohman defended his cartoon with an Internet post, noting that the fertilizer plant “had not been inspected by the state of Texas since 2006” and that many “Texas cities have little or no zoning, resulting in homes being permitted next to sparely inspected businesses that store explosive chemicals.”

“My job, as I understand it, is to be provocative,” Ohman wrote. “I provoke, you decide. I don’t dictate, I put out my opinion along with everyone else. I sign my name. I own it. In my opinion, I could have gone further. Much further.”

California has seen Perry’s touting of his state’s pro-business prowess firsthand. In February, a public-private Texas marketing firm ran radio ads featuring Perry denigrating California’s taxes and regulation, and then Perry traveled there to recruit jobs. He made a similar trip — this time backed by a print-media ad buy — to Chicago this past week.

Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, also a Republican, called for Ohman to be fired.

“I think it’s reprehensible for a member of the media to sit in safety and mock such a profound tragedy regardless of any ‘point’ he is trying to make,” Dewhurst said.

Perry, meanwhile, wrote that the newspaper “owes the community of West, Texas, an immediate apology for your detestable attempt at satire.”

Ohman posted that he had received “varying levels of concern about the cartoon depicting Gov. Rick Perry’s marketing of Texas’ loose regulations, juxtaposed with the explosion of the fertilizer plant in West, Texas,” but that he would draw the cartoon again without thinking twice.

Coming from a DEMONCRATIC/LIBERAL Braindead Zombie state...it was soon to happen! Maybe if they have them ***/LEZ Holley woodies pay their Taxes, they wouldn't be going through this BANKRUPT BS, and if they would STOP making ILLEGALS walk right in to Tijuanna/California...that would help their economy too. CA spends more on make-ups, drugs, ***/Lez crap then they do on helping their citizens on normal human needs...kinda like Chicago and NY.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Just goes to show that with all of the fruits and nut headed tree huggers in that state that California is over a billion dollars in debt, can't keep the power on and is over run by border jumpers... suck it up and manage your own before picking on some other state...

• Upvote 3

Coming from a DEMONCRATIC/LIBERAL Braindead Zombie state...it was soon to happen! Maybe if they have them ***/LEZ Holley woodies pay their Taxes, they wouldn't be going through this BANKRUPT BS, and if they would STOP making ILLEGALS walk right in to Tijuanna/California...that would help their economy too. CA spends more on make-ups, drugs, ***/Lez crap then they do on helping their citizens on normal human needs...kinda like Chicago and NY.

Wow ... .No discrimination here, nope! Lots of acceptance of others ... yup! Just the way we were taught from ... oh ... about Sunday school, right? 

Well, I have a spot of discrimination of my own ... don't we all? But mine is this ... I find I am disgusted by people who voice this kind of "opinion" ... filled with hate and discrimination ... people like you, sir, or madam if that is the case. 

Oh, I agree totally that you have the freedom of speech, as well as the freedom to live where you want, that decision based on low taxes, or better state economics ... or maybe even the type of people you do NOT choose to live near ... and you make that choice pretty clear ... by spewing hatred.

So, you just go ahead and stay out of California, for all the reasons you quote, including not wanting to breath that filthy air that must have passed through the lungs of some "***/LEZ Holley-woodies" who, by the way, DO PAY their taxes, and since many of them work at very high paying jobs, they pay more in taxes most likely than you do. 

I rarely go OFF like this but your response to this post really jerks my chain. How dare you!?!? How dare you put down a whole group of people and accuse them of being the cause of a problem that is in no way the result of their lifestyle? How dare you? I would suggest you do a little research and find out what you are talking about before you go and spout your particular brand of hatred. But someone as close  minded, as motivated by hate and fear, as you seem to be, just cannot be educated. You seem, at least those of your particular bent whom I have met, to be totally uneducatable. And yes, I have gone and made a class distinction here but not to spew hatred, just to state the obvious ... as seen over several generations of narrow minded individuals. Such as you.

By the way, I am not a Californian, nor an American, and I am neither G A Y nor L e s b i a n . I agree that being such means I have really no say in matters strictly Californian or American. But I do have a say in the matter of people such as yourself who believe that a lifestyle determines that some people do not have, as you say "normal human needs". Why do I jump on this particular band wagon? Because your response is so discriminatory that it makes me sick. I am not defending any particular life style here. I am defending ALL lifestyles, even yours. We all have rights. And insinuating that people of a different sexual orientation than you, are not "normal humans" is really disgusting. You have some hate issues to deal with. I doubt you will do that though, and that makes me sad, for you. 

:twocents: 

smee2

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

No matter what state you live in you can have the strongest regulations in place, but accidents will happen. 

Jack Ohman is one insensitive reporter.  The cartoon should of been about his complaint regarding the regulations, and should of left out the explosive background.  He used the explosion to benefit his selfish self and then try to blame Governor Perry.  His intention was evil, and now look it back fired on him.   

Yes, the people of West Texas deserve an apology from Ohman. 

Thank You Smee Very Much.

I couldn't Have Said It Any Better Myself.

That Level Of Hatred Is A Huge Part Of What Is Wrong In Our World These Days.

I Appreciate You And Others Standing Up Against That Kind Of Rhedoric.

As For Perry... He May Have Done The Same Slamming Tactics And Folks In Cali May Be Sick Of It, I Dunno... Just A Guess.

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But That Could Very Well Be Why We Have Such A Huge DIVIDE In This Country.

Politics And Hatred From Our Fellow Americans Towards Each Other...

Brilliant Just Brilliant.

• Upvote 3

Thank You Patty

Ka Ka Really Bugs Me...

I Would Like To Suggest If Ka Ka Is feeling Unloved Right Now That He/She Watch A Great Movie Called "Pay It Forward".

Just Watched It Yesterday And It Touched My Soul... Same As The First Time I Saw It. I Honestly Have To Wonder About Ka Ka's Soul.

That Makes Me Sad.

Kudos Smee and Maggie.... Smee you can speak for my state any day. Intolerance of intolerance is always appreciated. Kaduku, your analysis apart from being simplistic reductionist hyperbole, makes no frickin sense at all. But, I digress.

The Sacramento Bee, is no respecter of any political party, and is not timid is searching out the truth, no matter what party, affiliation or political sway you might think you have. They are an excellent watchdog over government in general, and tell the truth when others won't. And I know what they say is true, because I have been part of an administration that was not forthcoming, and the Bee nailed it dead on. Right now they are ripping Democrat Governor Brown a new one, as they should, and are reporting truths that the administration would rather you not know. And they would do the same if it were a Republican. It doesn't matter to them. What matters is the integrity of the governance system and when it departs, the Bee will be there to bust them. IF you have spent any time reading The Bee, you would know that the cartoon is in no way disrespectful of the sad loss of life, and shame on Perry for trying to spin it that way. You would know it was taking issue with Perry for not being more protective of the very people he tried to toss out there for the sympathy card. And while one might disagree with the Bee's opinion of Perry as far as his protection of Texans (I don't know if its correct or not), one would be remiss to allow him to use these victims to deflect attention away from him as he is being challenged. 

• Upvote 5

Would you stop being such a hater and widening the divide.  No one is going to disagree that the newspaper was completely wrong to print such crap.  However to demean three states in one comment is just as ignorant and disrespectful. 

Why don't you spend one day making nothing but positive comments and try to see the good side of every situation. If that night you don't sleep more soundly and feel lighter, then when you wake up you can go back to being a hater.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Wow ... .No discrimination here, nope! Lots of acceptance of others ... yup! Just the way we were taught from ... oh ... about Sunday school, right? 

Well, I have a spot of discrimination of my own ... don't we all? But mine is this ... I find I am disgusted by people who voice this kind of "opinion" ... filled with hate and discrimination ... people like you, sir, or madam if that is the case. 

Oh, I agree totally that you have the freedom of speech, as well as the freedom to live where you want, that decision based on low taxes, or better state economics ... or maybe even the type of people you do NOT choose to live near ... and you make that choice pretty clear ... by spewing hatred.

So, you just go ahead and stay out of California, for all the reasons you quote, including not wanting to breath that filthy air that must have passed through the lungs of some "***/LEZ Holley-woodies" who, by the way, DO PAY their taxes, and since many of them work at very high paying jobs, they pay more in taxes most likely than you do. 

I rarely go OFF like this but your response to this post really jerks my chain. How dare you!?!? How dare you put down a whole group of people and accuse them of being the cause of a problem that is in no way the result of their lifestyle? How dare you? I would suggest you do a little research and find out what you are talking about before you go and spout your particular brand of hatred. But someone as close  minded, as motivated by hate and fear, as you seem to be, just cannot be educated. You seem, at least those of your particular bent whom I have met, to be totally uneducatable. And yes, I have gone and made a class distinction here but not to spew hatred, just to state the obvious ... as seen over several generations of narrow minded individuals. Such as you.

By the way, I am not a Californian, nor an American, and I am neither G A Y nor L e s b i a n . I agree that being such means I have really no say in matters strictly Californian or American. But I do have a say in the matter of people such as yourself who believe that a lifestyle determines that some people do not have, as you say "normal human needs". Why do I jump on this particular band wagon? Because your response is so discriminatory that it makes me sick. I am not defending any particular life style here. I am defending ALL lifestyles, even yours. We all have rights. And insinuating that people of a different sexual orientation than you, are not "normal humans" is really disgusting. You have some hate issues to deal with. I doubt you will do that though, and that makes me sad, for you. 

smee2

I only have one problem with your comments, smee.  What you are objecting to is, unfortunately, true. California really does have some incredible issues to deal with (my sister lives there), much more than  Kaduku may have, at least in any way you could possibly discern. I don't say this because I have "issues to deal with," but go ahead.  You can now feel "sad" for me, too. 

• Upvote 1

I only have one problem with your comments, smee.  What you are objecting to is, unfortunately, true. California really does have some incredible issues to deal with (my sister lives there), much more than  Kaduku may have, at least in any way you could possibly discern. I don't say this because I have "issues to deal with," but go ahead.  You can now feel "sad" for me, too. 

One more thing, I am a highly educated woman, so I value education extremely, but I long ago learned that you simply cannot equate education with intellect. Many of the people I have respected highly for their intellect during my long life have had very little education, while some of the world's worst fools were highly educated. I also "got it," that  Kaduku has a right to her opinions and strong feelings and to express them. You may not like what she says, but in our country, we actively practice free speech (at least so far), so she has every right to speak hers, write them, and (with Adam's permission) to post them here. 

And one more thing--the cities she included, Chicago and New York, also have enormous, painful, and disgusting problems due to their liberal agendas, which are much like those of the entire state of California. Sad, I know, but true.

"

"just to state the obvious ... as seen over several generations of narrow minded individuals. Such as you."

So, Smee, how do you know about the generations of her family? Do you have access to her personal information the rest of  us can't see?  Or is this the response based on just a slam with no further information to rely on?

Thank You Smee Very Much.

I couldn't Have Said It Any Better Myself.

That Level Of Hatred Is A Huge Part Of What Is Wrong In Our World These Days.

I Appreciate You And Others Standing Up Against That Kind Of Rhedoric.

As For Perry... He May Have Done The Same Slamming Tactics And Folks In Cali May Be Sick Of It, I Dunno... Just A Guess.

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But That Could Very Well Be Why We Have Such A Huge DIVIDE In This Country.

Politics And Hatred From Our Fellow Americans Towards Each Other...

Brilliant Just Brilliant.

err . . . err . . . that's "rhetoric," not "rhedoric." 

"

"just to state the obvious ... as seen over several generations of narrow minded individuals. Such as you."

So, Smee, how do you know about the generations of her family? Do you have access to her personal information the rest of  us can't see?  Or is this the response based on just a slam with no further information to rely on?

Interesting article-- It's worth a read.  http://politicaloutcast.com/2013/04/liberals-try-to-pin-texas-plant-explosion-on-republican-governor/

What you need to consider Kad before making a statement Like that is there is a lot of conservatives that also live in NY,CA & Chicago (Their the ones that know how to read)

So before you blast a whole state or city think about that. 

• Upvote 4

smee2

Smee@ - thanks, you saved me the time.

This Kakadu person is hateful and mean, period. Just read the posts. Just ignore this person.

Kudos Smee and Maggie.... Smee you can speak for my state any day. Intolerance of intolerance is always appreciated. Kaduku, your analysis apart from being simplistic reductionist hyperbole, makes no frickin sense at all. But, I digress.

The Sacramento Bee, is no respecter of any political party, and is not timid is searching out the truth, no matter what party, affiliation or political sway you might think you have. They are an excellent watchdog over government in general, and tell the truth when others won't. And I know what they say is true, because I have been part of an administration that was not forthcoming, and the Bee nailed it dead on. Right now they are ripping Democrat Governor Brown a new one, as they should, and are reporting truths that the administration would rather you not know. And they would do the same if it were a Republican. It doesn't matter to them. What matters is the integrity of the governance system and when it departs, the Bee will be there to bust them. IF you have spent any time reading The Bee, you would know that the cartoon is in no way disrespectful of the sad loss of life, and shame on Perry for trying to spin it that way. You would know it was taking issue with Perry for not being more protective of the very people he tried to toss out there for the sympathy card. And while one might disagree with the Bee's opinion of Perry as far as his protection of Texans (I don't know if its correct or not), one would be remiss to allow him to use these victims to deflect attention away from him as he is being challenged. 

Beautiful as usual, Rayzur -

For the haters out there - would you please address this question? You righties want lower regulations on business, right?

Will lower regs cause more, or fewer, accidents like this?

Just wondering what you think.

(TIP - try sticking to the question)

Just goes to show that with all of the fruits and nut headed tree huggers in that state that California is over a billion dollars in debt, can't keep the power on and is over run by border jumpers... suck it up and manage your own before picking on some other state...

Yeah! Why inspect a chemical plant for problems? Who wants safety regulations anyway?

By the way Goose, what if you had family that got blown up in West. Any thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Smee@ - thanks, you saved me the time.

This Kakadu person is hateful and mean, period. Just read the posts. Just ignore this person.

Beautiful as usual, Rayzur -

For the haters out there - would you please address this question? You righties want lower regulations on business, right?

Will lower regs cause more, or fewer, accidents like this?

Just wondering what you think.

(TIP - try sticking to the question)

Yeah! Why inspect a chemical plant for problems? Who wants safety regulations anyway?

By the way Goose, what if you had family that got blown up in West. Any thoughts?

Yes I do want lower regulations on companies so they are able to do better and hire people.

Do I mean safety regulations well of course not. Just regulations that dont make since.

I agree with you in this case their was negligence by the state inspectors who were obviously not doing their job. 

With that being said it was still wrong for a paper to depict satire of this type so soon. 

Bad karma man.

To many people still hurting. 

Francie... For Your Own Sake... "Lighten Up Dear" :)

What This World Needs Is MORE LOVE!

Sending Hugs Your Way And I'll Try Harder On My Spelling... Meanwhile... I Hope You Will Still Get My Point.

hahaha Good grief!! Being patronizing gets you nowhere with me, Hon. 

There is no runaway bureaucracy like the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). In just the past 13 months alone, Texas has won three lawsuits against the EPA because of flawed, overreaching rules that would kill jobs and harm industry. The Federal Courts even said that the EPA was acting absurdly and arbitrarily.

One case involved the cross-state air pollution rule. EPA claimed Texas was the source of cross-state air pollution. Had we harmed our neighbors Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, or New Mexico? No. Had we harmed states adjacent to our neighbors? According to the EPA finding, again the answer was no. They claimed Texas was the source for air pollution in a small town in Illinois.

These kinds of ridiculous decisions, based on political science instead of real science, are a perfect example of the command and control edicts coming from Obama’s Washington. If you agree it needs to stop, join me by signing my petition. So far we have won in court on the cross-state air pollution case. But the fight goes on. Make your voice heard!

Sincerely,

GregAbbottSig.png

• Upvote 1