Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

PTSD Film being made by soldiers for soldiers

Just thought you might be interested in another one of  those projects I got myself involved in.  One of the soldiers I work with is also a Film student, and this is his final project.  He is actually planning on a limited release throughout the United States and it will most likely be shown at a number of film festivals. Even thought it is going to be a 50 minute short filem, it will take about a year to complete.  Sounds almost funny considering the actual filming wil probably take less than 45 days this summer.  

It is being made with as many actual Service members as possible.  All the actors are either former soldiers or currently in the National Guard. The primary characters in the film are being portrayed by actual combat veterans diagnosed with PTSD.  Most of the crew are also either fomer service members or National Guard members.

Here is a link to the films current teaser page   http://www.unsungheroesmovie.com/  There's also a link on ther to the Facebook page.  It actually has some neat details on behind the scenes stuff that's going on.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

There is another one also that is coming out called the Invisible War.  It is about men and women who have been sexually assaulted in the military.  This is something that there has been extreme efforts to keep quiet and for the military to deny that men get raped in the services. 

They just screened that here at my headquarters  for us yesterday in conjuction with some other events to raise awareness of this issue. . I was on the road, but heard it was a very thought provoking movie.  Hope they give those who missed it a chance to see it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The film student I've been working with has produced a very moving short film that is a tie in to the PTSD project he is doing.  Not sure if we can link to Facebook pages her - but going to try.  Let me quote him -

"This was my final for film school this semester. It received for A+'s and the instructor actually recommended that I submit it to film festivals. A STRONG WARNING "This video contains several heavy PTSD triggers". I present to you "a Soldier's Letter".

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201118731263953

• Upvote 1

TankDude I'm glad to hear that he completed the film and it sounds like it was very well done.

It is such an important issue that we all need to have more awareness of in order to help and support our vets.

I'll look forward to seeing it... hopefully at "The Doc Festival" that my city sponsers every year.

PS. I don't do facebook... is there another way to see the trailer?

TankDude I'm glad to hear that he completed the film and it sounds like it was very well done.

It is such an important issue that we all need to have more awareness of in order to help and support our vets.

I'll look forward to seeing it... hopefully at "The Doc Festival" that my city sponsers every year.

PS. I don't do facebook... is there another way to see the trailer?

Actually this is just a film that ties in with the other PTSD film. I'm trying to get it loaded to Youtube or Vimeo.  Hopefully tonight.  Will add that link later.  This is only a 4:45 film - but made me tear up, and I already new the story line.

• Upvote 1

The first one is about 30% done for primary filming.  Some of the footage for that film is being used in this short film.  The Unsung Heroes, the first film, will hopefully be done in time for release on Memorial Day 2014.  That's the goal. I've found out just how arduous it is to do sound editing in 5.1 Dolby.  So far about 40 some hours into 16 minutes of film...

• Upvote 1

The first one is about 30% done for primary filming.  Some of the footage for that film is being used in this short film.  The Unsung Heroes, the first film, will hopefully be done in time for release on Memorial Day 2014.  That's the goal. I've found out just how arduous it is to do sound editing in 5.1 Dolby.  So far about 40 some hours into 16 minutes of film...

Wow! Good On You For Doing It TankDude. :)

It's a very important and worthy project... I'm sure you'll be glad you did it in the end.

So will the Vets and Enlisted people as well as their families and friends.

• 3 weeks later...

I am very interested in this film as I have PTSD from being attacked by psychos and I have a website I'm putting together on resolving trauma.

I am not surprised it is taking him a year because video takes a really long time . I also make media and a two minute video can often take several weeks.

People have no idea how long it takes.

I also believe PTSD is the reason why the Iraqi people and others in the Middle East are suffering so much and constantly at war.

Everyone in the Middle East from the Israelis to the Pakistanis to the Palestinians to the Iraqis to the Syrians and Egyptians etc are all suffering from generations of PTSD.

PTSD causes you to act out the trauma again and again to try to find some sort of resolution - it has to do with the brain patterns and how are wired.

For survival purposes from when we were cavemen and living in the forest as tribes our brain is wired to register a traumatic event 1000 times more quickly then that of a normal or happy one. And people don't realize that even going to the dentist or having surgery can cause PTSD

That is why we can still be plagued with childhood traumas or bad memories and often will hear an insult versus 10 complements.

In the human brain -unlike animals- is wired to not let go of the trauma. Our cerebral cortex and executive functioning actually inhibits the trauma release process.

I hope your friend includes the eMDR and somatic healing as some of the things to do, as well as Nerofeedback for brain injury.

And I wish the best for all the people suffering as a result of this ridiculous situation that we find ourselves in being at war - humans engaging in anger and hatred versus love and compassion

Best of luck to him!

Edited by Dinarian64

I am very interested in this film as I have PTSD from being attacked by psychos and I have a website I'm putting together on resolving trauma.

I am not surprised it is taking him a year because video takes a really long time . I also make media and a two minute video can often take several weeks.

People have no idea how long it takes.

I also believe PTSD is the reason why the Iraqi people and others in the Middle East are suffering so much and constantly at war.

Everyone in the Middle East from the Israelis to the Pakistanis to the Palestinians to the Iraqis to the Syrians and Egyptians etc are all suffering from generations of PTSD.

PTSD causes you to act out the trauma again and again to try to find some sort of resolution - it has to do with the brain patterns and how are wired.

For survival purposes from when we were cavemen and living in the forest as tribes our brain is wired to register a traumatic event 1000 times more quickly then that of a normal or happy one. And people don't realize that even going to the dentist or having surgery can cause PTSD

That is why we can still be plagued with childhood traumas or bad memories and often will hear an insult versus 10 complements.

In the human brain -unlike animals- is wired to not let go of the trauma. Our cerebral cortex and executive functioning actually inhibits the trauma release process.

I hope your friend includes the eMDR and somatic healing as some of the things to do, as well as Nerofeedback for brain injury.

And I wish the best for all the people suffering as a result of this ridiculous situation that we find ourselves in being at war - humans engaging in anger and hatred versus love and compassion

Best of luck to him!

eMDR helped me quite a bit for processing what happened. Thanks to that, some Vitamin D therapy and another supplement, I have been of my antidepressants for over 2 years now.  I still have some flashbacks and some small things - but at least I can "feel" again.

eMDR helped me quite a bit for processing what happened. Thanks to that, some Vitamin D therapy and another supplement, I have been of my antidepressants for over 2 years now.  I still have some flashbacks and some small things - but at least I can "feel" again.

I am so happy for you!... It's a long road and a confusing one. Mediation is great, somatic healing too - read Healing the Tiger for more on that. The mind is a powerful tool and has the ability to adapt second by second. Positive thoughts go a looong way.

Ps charlie annenberg weingarten of www.explore.org also did a film and also an opera!

http://explore.org/#!/videos/player/fish-out-of-water

http://explore.org/#!/videos/player/fallujah-trailer

Love him for his compassionate heart