Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Senate rejects expanded gun background checks

Senate rejects expanded gun background checks130415074922-guns-guns-guns-story-top.jp

By Ted Barrett and Tom Cohen, CNN

updated 4:47 PM EDT, Wed April 17, 2013

In a major defeat for supporters of tougher gun laws, the U.S. Senate on Wednesday defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on firearms sales.

The bipartisan plan brokered by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, and Pat Toomey, R-Pennsylvania, was backed by President Barack Obama in his push for a package of gun laws in the aftermath of the Newtown school massacre.

However, fierce opposition by the powerful National Rifle Association led a backlash by conservative Republicans and a few Democrats from pro-gun states that doomed the amendment to the broader package of legislation.

Due to procedural steps by Republican opponents, the amendment required 60 votes to pass in the 100-member chamber, meaning Democrats and their Independent allies who hold 55 seats needed support from some GOP senators to push them through.

The final vote was 54 in favor to 46 opposed with two Republicans joining most Democrats in supporting the compromise.

The overall gun legislation includes tougher laws on gun trafficking and straw purchases, and steps to devise ways to improve safety in schools.

It would be the most significant gun legislation before Congress in almost two decades, and comes four months after the December shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, that killed 20 first-graders and six educators.

Obama pushed hard for Congress to include expanded background checks in any gun package and the White House campaigned in support of the Manchin-Toomey compromise.

However, the NRA promised political retribution against supporters of tougher gun laws.

"You may not win today ... but I will say that you did the right thing," veteran GOP Sen. John McCain of Arizona said in praising Manchin and Toomey tor political courage in proposing their compromise. McCain was one of three Republicans who supported the compromise.

Manchin earlier sounded resigned to defeat, telling his colleagues that regardless of how the chamber votes, the issue of background checks "is not going to go away."

The NRA has said an expanded background check system would be the first step toward a national gun registry and therefore a violation of the constitutional right to bear arms.

Manchin and other supporters rejected that claim, noting the compromise amendment prohibited a national gun registry and criminalizes misusing background check data for that purpose.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid warned Republicans that the strong majority of Americans who support expanded background checks won't forget votes against the Manchin-Toomey compromise.

"The American people ... have a long, long memory," he said.

Meanwhile, conservative Republicans proposed an alternative package of gun laws that reflected the NRA position.

The GOP plan, introduced Wednesday after weeks of hearings and debate on Democratic proposals, lacked any expansion of background checks but called for more funding to better enforce the existing system.

A sponsor of the Republican alternative, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, said it would target the gun violence problem in a way that the Democratic proposal before the Senate would not.

In response, Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Pat Leahy, D-Vermont, called the GOP's last-minute proposal a "weak and counterproductive alternative."

Other proposed amendments to the gun package sent to the Senate by Leahy's committee include a ban on semi-automatic firearms modeled after military assault weapons sponsored by Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, and a plan by Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas to make state concealed weapons permits acceptable throughout the country.

The Senate debate was expected to last several days and any legislation passed would then go to the Republican-led House. So far, House Speaker John Boehner has stopped short of promising a vote on whatever the Senate sends over.

Obama and others have been highlighting daily gun violence in America in their appeal to lawmakers for stricter limits.

Many in Washington have coalesced around expanding background checks conducted on gun sales. However, settling on the exact mechanism of such a step has been difficult in a sharply divided political climate, with the NRA leading a strong lobbying effort against proposed changes.

Few amendments may pass

The Manchin-Toomey proposal would have extend background checks to private transactions at gun shows and all Internet sales.

Reid, D-Nevada, said last month that Feinstein's revised ban on some semiautomatic weapons, which was approved by the Judiciary Committee with no Republican support, had no chance of passing.

He agreed to allow Feinstein to propose it as an amendment instead of including it in the legislative package from the judiciary panel.

Polls support background checks

Polls show that a strong majority of Americans support some type of initiative to stem gun violence. In a CNN/ORC International pollreleased last week, 86% of Americans say they support expanded background checks.

However, a majority of Americans also fear that increased background checks would lead to a federal registry of gun owners that could allow the government to take away legally owned weapons.

White House spokesman Jay Carney called any claim that the Manchin-Toomey plan would lead to a federal gun registry and confiscation of firearms "absurd and false and wrong."

"The legislation itself prohibits that," he said, adding "what should be clear to those senators who are considering this, because it's clear to the American people, is that this is common sense."

INDIAN%20RAIN%20DANCE%206FT%20%A3345.00.

Step back non-believers or the rain will never come

Somebody get the fire a going, Somebody beat the drum

• Upvote 5

Obummer is on the idiot box doing his usual forked tongue routine. He claims that the background check would keep mentally ill people from buying guns. Ever heard of H.I.P.P.A.. They are having a hard time even getting law enforcement to send in names of criminals. All just a show.

• Upvote 3

Those polls are a lot different than the ones I have seen! Especially the most recent showing that overall, only 4 percent of Americans support any type of new gun control!! Congratulations to everyone that stepped up and let their voices be heard in this matter! I know of a couple reps from Indiana that will be looking for new jobs come the next election because of their votes for the proposal!! God Bless!!

These polls are from the propaganda press.  This victory is not the end of this battle.

"Newton deserved a vote" and the vote protected their freedom this time.

Agreed JonJon it may not have been the war . but it was a battle won in our favor.

On to the next. 

• Upvote 2

Bet Shabby and the Odumdumb clowns will be crying and comforting eacth other tonight!!!  Then huddle up and write a Bill to Ban pressure cookers, back packs, *** (Obama bags), pots -N- pans etc...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Remember, God allowed us to have this one this time around.  Continue to have God in the picture, and we will continue to win the small battles. 

Yes, He allowed us to have this small victory...(in defending our rights.)  I see a glimmer of hope. 

Each victory will lead to the next, stand strong, and together we can conquer.  Obama knows this, that is why he was so angry,  he will use his anger to hype up his followers, stay vigilant with his future bills. 

Thanks to all our DV members for doing a great job in keeping us updated.  :twothumbs:  I depend a lot on what you bring over, rather than the media. 

• Upvote 4

Yes, Pattyangel, we must stay vigilant.

Gun control backers: "Senate defeat won’t stop us."

WASHINGTON —One day after the demise of gun control legislation, Senate supporters of the measure vowed to try again, while a leading opponent accused President Barack Obama of taking the “low road” when he harshly criticized lawmakers who voted against key provisions.

“When good and honest people have honest differences of opinion about what policies the country should pursue about gun rights…the president of the United States should not accuse them of having no coherent arguments or of caving to the pressure,” said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Senate rejects expanded gun background checks130415074922-guns-guns-guns-story-top.jp

By Ted Barrett and Tom Cohen, CNN
updated 4:47 PM EDT, Wed April 17, 2013

In a major defeat for supporters of tougher gun laws, the U.S. Senate on Wednesday defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on firearms sales.

The bipartisan plan brokered by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, and Pat Toomey, R-Pennsylvania, was backed by President Barack Obama in his push for a package of gun laws in the aftermath of the Newtown school massacre.

However, fierce opposition by the powerful National Rifle Association led a backlash by conservative Republicans and a few Democrats from pro-gun states that doomed the amendment to the broader package of legislation.

Due to procedural steps by Republican opponents, the amendment required 60 votes to pass in the 100-member chamber, meaning Democrats and their Independent allies who hold 55 seats needed support from some GOP senators to push them through.

The final vote was 54 in favor to 46 opposed with two Republicans joining most Democrats in supporting the compromise.

The overall gun legislation includes tougher laws on gun trafficking and straw purchases, and steps to devise ways to improve safety in schools.

It would be the most significant gun legislation before Congress in almost two decades, and comes four months after the December shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, that killed 20 first-graders and six educators.

Obama pushed hard for Congress to include expanded background checks in any gun package and the White House campaigned in support of the Manchin-Toomey compromise.

However, the NRA promised political retribution against supporters of tougher gun laws.

"You may not win today ... but I will say that you did the right thing," veteran GOP Sen. John McCain of Arizona said in praising Manchin and Toomey tor political courage in proposing their compromise. McCain was one of three Republicans who supported the compromise.

Manchin earlier sounded resigned to defeat, telling his colleagues that regardless of how the chamber votes, the issue of background checks "is not going to go away."

The NRA has said an expanded background check system would be the first step toward a national gun registry and therefore a violation of the constitutional right to bear arms.

Manchin and other supporters rejected that claim, noting the compromise amendment prohibited a national gun registry and criminalizes misusing background check data for that purpose.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid warned Republicans that the strong majority of Americans who support expanded background checks won't forget votes against the Manchin-Toomey compromise.

"The American people ... have a long, long memory," he said.

Meanwhile, conservative Republicans proposed an alternative package of gun laws that reflected the NRA position.

The GOP plan, introduced Wednesday after weeks of hearings and debate on Democratic proposals, lacked any expansion of background checks but called for more funding to better enforce the existing system.

A sponsor of the Republican alternative, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, said it would target the gun violence problem in a way that the Democratic proposal before the Senate would not.

In response, Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Pat Leahy, D-Vermont, called the GOP's last-minute proposal a "weak and counterproductive alternative."

Other proposed amendments to the gun package sent to the Senate by Leahy's committee include a ban on semi-automatic firearms modeled after military assault weapons sponsored by Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, and a plan by Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas to make state concealed weapons permits acceptable throughout the country.

The Senate debate was expected to last several days and any legislation passed would then go to the Republican-led House. So far, House Speaker John Boehner has stopped short of promising a vote on whatever the Senate sends over.

Obama and others have been highlighting daily gun violence in America in their appeal to lawmakers for stricter limits.

Many in Washington have coalesced around expanding background checks conducted on gun sales. However, settling on the exact mechanism of such a step has been difficult in a sharply divided political climate, with the NRA leading a strong lobbying effort against proposed changes.

Few amendments may pass

The Manchin-Toomey proposal would have extend background checks to private transactions at gun shows and all Internet sales.

Reid, D-Nevada, said last month that Feinstein's revised ban on some semiautomatic weapons, which was approved by the Judiciary Committee with no Republican support, had no chance of passing.

He agreed to allow Feinstein to propose it as an amendment instead of including it in the legislative package from the judiciary panel.

Polls support background checks

Polls show that a strong majority of Americans support some type of initiative to stem gun violence. In a CNN/ORC International pollreleased last week, 86% of Americans say they support expanded background checks.

However, a majority of Americans also fear that increased background checks would lead to a federal registry of gun owners that could allow the government to take away legally owned weapons.

White House spokesman Jay Carney called any claim that the Manchin-Toomey plan would lead to a federal gun registry and confiscation of firearms "absurd and false and wrong."

"The legislation itself prohibits that," he said, adding "what should be clear to those senators who are considering this, because it's clear to the American people, is that this is common sense."

INDIAN%20RAIN%20DANCE%206FT%20%A3345.00.

Step back non-believers or the rain will never come

Somebody get the fire a going, Somebody beat the drum

YeeeehaaaaaW!

Aren't you glad you righties voted Repug? 

That means any MENTAL NUT can shoot you now....

Good job you_______________________. Fill in the blank

Bet Shabby and the Odumdumb clowns will be crying and comforting eacth other tonight!!!  Then huddle up and write a Bill to Ban pressure cookers, back packs, *** (Obama bags), pots -N- pans etc...

FOUR MORE YEARS

:cigar: What say you..., Libs?  Can't even get our own cowards to vote for it. Thinking about 2014

FOUR MORE YEARS

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

YeeeehaaaaaW!

Aren't you glad you righties voted Repug? YEP!

That means any MENTAL NUT can shoot you now...And the law abiding can still shoot back.

Good job you American Patriots. Filled in the blank

Ditto, DinarMillionaire. 

Good job you God Fearing American Patriots.  Filled in the blank.  jm :twocents:

• Upvote 2

YeeeehaaaaaW!

Aren't you glad you righties voted Repug? 

That means any MENTAL NUT can shoot you now....

Good job you_______________________. Fill in the blank

FOUR MORE YEARS

FOUR MORE YEARS

Wow you got a lot of hostility going there Professor.

Have you ever looked in to anger management.

Yes we are happy. We as individuals cannot accept that rights given to us by god can be controlled by a GOVT.

We are not part of your COLLECTIVE.

We reject your ant farm beehive mentality.

WE are FREE MEN/WOMAN    !!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

Look at ya'll......got yourself a little gloating thread.   :)  Nice win.......we'll be back Bwuhahahaaaa.   :P   Hey, have any of you heard......Barack Obama is President of the United States?   ;) 

GO RV, then BV

Because BRAINDEAD and ZOMBIE people like yourself put that MUSLIM/COMMUNIST LIAR in office FRADULENTLY!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Because BRAINDEAD and ZOMBIE people like yourself put that MUSLIM/COMMUNIST LIAR in office FRADULENTLY!!!!!

Kaduku like I said before, I agree with you and your disdain for this fraud of a president. I don't think you should attack Shabs just because he brings a different stance. I know I probably sound like a hypocrite at times, but we as Americans have to come together somehow and someway. I feel this POS Obummer and his minions promote hate and want us to fight amongst ourselves in order to destroy this country. These people will do anything to promote civil unrest to achieve their goals of total control! I know I come across as an angry person. In reality, I am a hard working, educated nobody that loves this country and all the people in it. My hate comes from these politicians that think they are going to rule us and crap all over the US Constitution! I don't know if you are old enough to remember the hell that the Carter Administration inflicted on this country but I remember it well. What I see coming with this evil bastard Obummer will make Carter look like the great President Ronald Reagan. We Americans must all stand together and understand other people's views to defeat these progressive traitors before its too late.

• Upvote 2

Thanks sxsess.  I might have different views, but I really am an okay guy.  I certainly don't look upon you or many others for that matter.....as the same way I do Kad.  He just hates....nothing more.  I feel bad for him really.  You are right though, we need to come together as a country......and I have no doubt we will at some point.  We can come back from this.....it's not too late.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

Thanks sxsess.  I might have different views, but I really am an okay guy.  I certainly don't look upon you or many others for that matter.....as the same way I do Kad.  He just hates....nothing more.  I feel bad for him really.  You are right though, we need to come together as a country......and I have no doubt we will at some point.  We can come back from this.....it's not too late.

GO RV, then BV

This is one of the things I pray every night Shabs. And I know your a good guy. I have much respect for you and anyone else that stands up for what they believe in. This has always been what makes America great.

• Upvote 1