Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Cold Weather Causes Murder

I am not here to disprove your post.  The numbers are what they are.  If you look hard enough you can find the two cities that have the stats match up the way the two cities referenced above do.

My questions would be...How many deaths in each city were gang related and how many were suicide as opposed to homocide?

Perhaps those questions don't matter, perhaps they do.

I am going to post an article from Rueter's.  I'm sure there are those that will be upset with me and the article because it shows some  statistics that favor the other side in this debate.  However, this article compares all 50 states against each other not just two cities that have equal size and population but drastically different gun deaths.  As such I feel this gives a much broader and perhaps clearer and well balanced assessment of the situation to the country as a whole.

I just feel that sometimes both sides in this debate don't compare apples to apples.  There are so many ways to slant the statistics in order to bennifit your own position.  Perhaps this article does the same thing. You can decide that for yourself. 

States with weakest firearm laws lead in gun deaths: study

•  

A 6-year-old boy prepares a gun before a hunt near Union Springs, Alabama June 16, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Michael Spooneybarger

WASHINGTON | Wed Apr 3, 2013 3:03pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Many states with the weakest firearms laws have the highest rates of gun-related homicides and suicides, according to a study released on Wednesday by a liberal think tank.

Alaska had the most gun deaths, with 20.28 deaths per 100,000 people in 2010, twice the national average, the analysis by the Center for American Progress showed.

Louisiana and Montana, which followed with 19.06 and 16.58 deaths per 100,000 people, respectively, were among the 10 states with the weakest gun laws, according to the study, the latest to link gun laws to firearm deaths.

Eight of the states with the highest levels of gun violence were among the 25 with the weakest gun laws, said the report, citing a study last year by the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

"This report - as others before it - demonstrates a strong link between state gun laws and gun violence," it said, adding that this link didn't imply cause and effect.

"Factors such as gun trafficking across state lines, overall crime patterns, and other socioeconomic issues in a state all play a role in gun-violence rates," it said.

Louisiana, Alaska and Alabama have the highest levels of gun violence, based on measures that include firearm deaths, suicides, homicides, and police officials feloniously killed by guns.

Hawaii, Massachusetts and Connecticut had the lowest rates of gun violence, and were among the 10 states with the strongest gun laws, the study found.

Hawaii had the fewest firearm deaths in 2010, at 3.31 per 100,000 people.

Last month, researchers reported in the online journal, JAMA Internal Medicine, that more gun laws in a state were associated with lower firearm death rates.

Several states have moved to tighten gun laws following the massacre of 20 students and six adults at a Connecticut school in December.

President Barack Obama is seeking to pass the broadest gun control regulations in a generation, but faces stiff opposition from pro-gun groups.

The United States had about 31,300 firearms deaths in 2010, with two-thirds of them suicides, according to the Centers for Disease Control and the National Vital Statistics Report.

(Reporting by Ian Simpson; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Bernadette Baum)

• Upvote 2

WASHINGTON | Wed Apr 3, 2013 3:03pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Many states with the weakest firearms laws have the highest rates of gun-related homicides and suicides, according to a study released on Wednesday by a liberal think tank.

Alaska had the most gun deaths, with 20.28 deaths per 100,000 people in 2010, twice the national average, the analysis by the Center for American Progress showed.

Louisiana and Montana, which followed with 19.06 and 16.58 deaths per 100,000 people, respectively, were among the 10 states with the weakest gun laws, according to the study, the latest to link gun laws to firearm deaths.

Consider the source...

-

• Upvote 1

Liboy I can tell you we have as big a gang problem here as anywhere in the country, especially with the Mexican cartels right here. Those statistics show how taking away the rights of people to own guns turns into disaster. Numbers don't lie, liberal politicians do.

Edited by sxsess
  • Upvote 3

Consider the source...

-

Why? They are reporting factual statistics. This isn't an opinion piece from a blog. If these statements were not 100% accurate, the NRA and other pro gun grops would be all over it.

Facts are facts.

• Upvote 3

Why? They are reporting factual statistics. This isn't an opinion piece from a blog. If these statements were not 100% accurate, the NRA and other pro gun grops would be all over it.

Facts are facts.

Where did the statistics come from?  Who compiled them?  Liberals have a tendancy of scewing the data to fit their agenda...

-

The United States had about 31,300 firearms deaths in 2010, with two-thirds of them suicides, according to the Centers for Disease Control and the National Vital Statistics ReportRead more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/146078-cold-weather-causes-murder/#ixzz2QSBO9Mmb2/3 were suicides

On this national report, 2/3 were suicide. Which is alarming as heck in and of itself. Anyone who considers suicide and carries it out is a mentally unstable person. The fact that all these folks used guns on themselves and might not think twice about taking a few others with them is scary.

My question was more in regards to the percentage of suicide deaths solely in the Chicago statistics from the chart above. I think when most people talk about gun deaths, they immediately assume homicide. The fact is that 66% are suicide and make the homicide a much lower number.

Where did the statistics come from? Who compiled them? Liberals have a tendancy of scewing the data to fit their agenda...

-

I agree all sides play with numbers to fit their agenda. I know that's what you meant to say.

However, I have to believe that if these statistics were not accurate, the NRA would have been on this like white on rice. They are a very aggressive institution and if someone, anyone was reporting inaccurate data in regards to gun deaths, they would not let it slide and Rueters would have printed a retraction. There is not a doubt in my mind about that.

Edited by LIBoy
  • Upvote 1

If I had to live in Illinois, suicide would probably cross through mind daily. People that commit suicide with a gun can't be true! We should investigate the real perpetrator here....the gun! I'm sure the morons in Chicago will find a way to dumb down more idiots up there, if there are any left to dumb down.

• Upvote 1

hahahahahah  +1 patty very funny. and of course libs statistics is also a joke. 

Fact :    The presence of firearms curtails VIOLENT crime.  Period.

They're not my stats. Simply brought them over from an article. I think that mainstream media could print an article saying that water is wet and you would say it's a joke and that they are wrong. That' ok with me, I just like both sides of an issue to be presented so that people can make informed opinions.

Peace bro!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Oh nooooo not the same thing... 

In contrasting the first set of stats with the Reuters stats, it becomes very clear we're talking apples and oranges... 

The Two Cities stats directly quote stats related to homicides

The Reuters simply says gun related deaths.... and then goes on to cite Alaska and Montana.... both of which are heavy heavy hunting states with many people relying on this as their sole source of meat for the year (several in my family among them). 

There is a huge difference between a hunting related gun accident versus  purposely pointing a gun at another human being for the purpose of shooting them.

People have car accidents and die going to and from the store to get food. People have gun related accidents going to the field to get game for food. ....... Comparing that to people shoot other people because they are fricked up, is not the same comparison..... 

Now if you wanted to compare car accidents enroute to the meat store versus gun related accidents going for the game meat, that might be more statistically accurate in comparison.....  :peace:

Edited by Rayzur
  • Upvote 3

The United States had about 31,300 firearms deaths in 2010, with two-thirds of them suicides

End Quote

So  the actual homicides in the US for that particular year ( 2010) were around 10,000... Correct?

It's about 1/5 of the yearly homicides in Brazil ( 50,000)... And Brazil has a pop. of 190M vs the US with 300M.

I do realize there are many social and economic differences between the 2 Countries. But in the last 3-4 years Brazil economy has been thriving and  stats and projections  confirm a continuous growth at least for the next 10 years... Still Brazil is a Cemetery as for violence.Every year a town of 50,000 fades......Sad.

This country of mine ( Italy) has an average of 600 ( six  hundred) homicides yearly on a Pop. of 60M....Obtaining a gun permit is possible but not easy to obtain. While I don't like such a data ( 600 murders  yearly.... I'd like  for it to be much lower, obviously)... I think it's not sooo bad after all (but again I do not like it at all... it's 600 human lives we're talking about)

Edited by umbertino

I remember reading the stat 10 or 15 years ago about the number of homicides in Japan for one whole year. The number was 39 ( thirtynine).

Japan has a Pop. of around 120M if I'm not mistaken....I got very impressed with that figure, I admit.

Maybe it's true that also the character of a Pop. ( very generally speaking) matters when it comes to these issues.

But in the end it's always up to the single Individual.

i do know murder rates are around 15  thousand a year in the united states .4% are related to mental  people

you never know when someone is at their breaking point .

15 thousand ..thats not mentioning punchs in the mouth .. stabings  that people lived .. or gun shot  that they lived ..

if you dont think  you need to arm yourself in america .. good luck to ya .. shelter yourself in a free country ..

id like to take the law into my own hands .. i dont need a judge to tell me when someone is robbing me .. if they are robbing me ..

people need to do a better job raising their kids at a younger age and teach them about the death penalty at a young age ..it worked for a long time ... now libs dont want the death penalty enforced .. ... i was told about the electric chair when i was young and my brothers and i would fight .. we would say ..im gonna kill you ...lol ..

my parents would always remind us as kids  about the electric chair .