Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Smart Cards

firemans35

I received this in am email from a strange email address. I never use my gmail email account for any website so I don't know where this came from or who sent it.

Smart Card Payment System Launched in Iraq

Johannesburg, South Africa-based Net1 UEPS Technologies has launched a smart card payment system in Iraq. Net1 has developed a platform for unbanked consumers called the Universal Electronic Payment System (UEPS).

Consumers are issued with biometric UEPS smart cards, so that they can have welfare payments and other fund transfers loaded onto their cards. They can then use the cards for purchases at POS terminals, authenticating themselves either with a PIN or at a fingerprint reader.

Net1 says that the first Iraqi UEPS transaction was performed on August 3, 2008, in Baghdad, during the launch of the UEPS smart card technology with two Iraqi state banks, Rafidain Bank and Rasheed Bank.

The launch, which was attended by executives from Rafidain Bank, Rasheed Bank, the Iraqi government, the War Victim Ministry and the Martyrdom Ministry, demonstrated smart card registration; biometric enrolment and issuing of UEPS cards; offline loading of wa