Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

YOUR IRAQI DINAR RV - IMPORTANT INFO

UNEEK

e895c6.jpg

Living in an RV Full-Time: What You Need to Know

Thinking about living the life of a nomad? Want to brave the open road in an RV? There’s a lot to love about throwing caution to the wind and exploring the world on wheels, but it’s not without its own set of complications. Before you put your house up for sale and pawn off all your worldly possessions for a mobile existence, take this guide to living in an RV into consideration. (See also: How to Travel Full-Time for $17,000 a Year (or Less!))

1. An RV May Not Be Cheaper Than Traditional Housing

Think the only costs you’ll incur living in an RV is the monthly loan payment and gas? Think again.

While RV living can be less expensive than a home mortgage and the regular maintenance costs that are associated with home ownership overall, there are plenty of other costs to consider.

In addition to the loan payment (unless you have the cash to buy it outright) and fuel (gas ain’t cheap these days, y’all), you’ll need to pay for insurance, site rentals if you plan to stay in an RV park (which can run $300 to $500 a month), propane and electricity (which are available at RV rental sites for an additional fee), and maintenance. Considering these costs, you’ll still be paying about the same per month as you would living in a small apartment.

2. The RV Will Require Much More Gas Than a Car

Many factors play into the amount of fuel consumed by an RV — the weight of the vehicle, engine size, fuel, driving habits — but even the most frugally minded RVers can expect to pay a pretty penny keeping the RV running. Smaller RVs get about 10-15 mpg while larger RVs come in at about 6-13 mpg. Most regular RVs hold between 40 and 85 gallons of gas (depending its class), which translates to between $148.12 and $314.75 per tank, based on the current average regular unleaded gas price of $3.70.

3. RV Insurance Is Not Regular Auto Insurance

Because you’ll being using your RV as a mobile home, insurance considerations are different than those associated with a regular vehicle. A specialized policy may require you to cover things like total loss replacement, replacement cost of personal belongings, full-timer liability, campsite liability, emergency expenses, medium-duty tow trucks, all of which will rack up that insurance bill quickly.

4. Can You Live Without Wi-Fi and Phone Service?

While many modern RV parks and campsites have Internet access on-site, Wi-Fi may not be an option. And if you’re in a remote area, you can probably forget about cell phone service, too. You’ll be able to get online from time to time, but it may be days or even weeks between access availability. So you have to ask yourself, can you live a life without being connected 24/7? Something to ponder before embarking.

5. Where Does the Mail Carrier Deliver Your Mail?

If you’re not staying in one place for more than a couple weeks, how will you get your mail? You can give your personal contacts the address of the park in which you’re staying if you plan to stay in a park, but it’s not feasible to expect your bills and other important mail to arrive at each of your destinations. Thus you’ll have to cancel most of your mail and set up online bill pay so you don’t get behind on payments because you didn’t receive them. Out of sight, out of mind is an easy way to forget about your obligations, but it’ll catch up with you in a bad way eventually.

6. You Have to Drain the Sewage Yourself

One of the great things about RV traveling is that the vehicle is self-contained. You can make meals in it, you can sleep comfortably in it, and you can do your 1s and 2s in it without having to pull into a rest stop or fast-food joint. Your 1s and 2s have to go somewhere though, and that somewhere is in a septic tank attached to the underside of the vehicle that will need to be emptied — and that can get messy. If you’ve got a weak stomach, definitely think hard about this necessary evil.

7. Can You Manage All the Other Stuff, Too?

RV living isn’t just driving from one location to the next, parking, and propping your feet up in nomadic bliss. There are lots of little things to remember, such as checking the battery water level monthly, lowering one corner of your awning to permit easier draining when there’s precipitation, and stocking up on rectangle storage boxes so you make efficient use of limited space. Once you arrive at the RV park, there's lots more to do, starting at the front office (requesting park maps, asking about discounts, and inquiring about Internet service), and then locating your RV space and setting up, which includes deploying decks and other heavy external features of the RV, connecting electricity, turning on water pumps, and raising roof-mounted accessories, among a host of other duties.

8. You’ll Need to Earn Money

Unless you’re embarking on your RV existence with a bank account full of money, you’ll need to work along the way, so you can ensure that there’s a consistent cash flow in case of emergencies, which, in an RV, can be quite costly. If you have the luxury of working remotely in your normal life, that’s still an option while living in an RV, but chances are you’ll need at least somewhat consistent Internet access. Otherwise you’ll have to find new ways to make money — helping out at the RV park, finding odd jobs on Craigslist, and other one-off projects — to bring in dough on the regular.

http://www.wisebread.com/living-in-an-rv-full-time-what-you-need-to-know

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Uneek,

Even though it comes across my mind to own an RV, I think I am good with traditional home.. I am just not good in pumping the stuff from the RV :)

I agree!!  I like the idea of staying in 5 star hotels and no maintenance  --  I want to experience  the luxury  just once or twice  but I am so looking forward to a nice home with a huge kitchen and dining area --

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would like to buy either a small hard top or a mid-sized tent trailer because we love camping, but living in an rv is definitely not an option! We've got 4 kids still at home, 2 in school. I'm not going back to homeschooling unless things get really bad. I would like to fix up our current house and sell or rent it and buy a big piece of land and build our dream house with multiple gardens, fruit trees etc. (Flower garden, vegetable garden and herb garden... and a memorial garden for Heather as well... white hibiscus and purple orchids as well as other sweet-smelling purple and white bulbs...)

Thanks for the article!

KK

$3.70 per gallon gas .... Man that's soooo cheap.

Your looking about the equivalent of $9 - $10 per gallon here in the UK

I kinda laugh a little inside when I hear Americans complaining about the price of gas when most of the rest of the world pays three times what u do

• Upvote 2

$3.70 per gallon gas .... Man that's soooo cheap.

Your looking about the equivalent of $9 - $10 per gallon here in the UK

I kinda laugh a little inside when I hear Americans complaining about the price of gas when most of the rest of the world pays three times what u do

Yeah, but.....the UK is about 15% the size of the US......you don't have as far to travel.  How's that for a smug American's point of view?   :P   Just kidding Machine......I would have to quit my job if gas were 9-10 bucks a gallon.   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

Holy Cow!!!  Put that thing in the garage before everybody sees it!!!!!   :o 

GO RV, then BV

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:  I was thinkin' the same thing Shab's... and your gonna have to have a mighty big drive thru when it comes time to "cash that baby in"!!!  :rolleyes: 

Uneek... I only have a very limited amount of RVing experience... I'm more of a camping kinda guy... but as I get older and as the wife complains more about the uncomfortable sleeping conditions of camping it holds a certain appeal.   Here are a few other considerations... 

1) It allows you to take your personal "stuff" to more varied locations than just a suitcase allows.  Imagine... opening the curtains one day and it's the Grand Canyon for a view out your window.  Then a few days later it could be The Painted Dessert or the Rockies... it's an almost limitless variety.

2) There is no rule that says you can't have both... and most folks do.  Go RVing in the nasty winter (believe me... the cold and snow is over rated as you get older)... head south... or south west.  

3) Another option... it doesn't have to be a full blown mammoth Recreational Vehicle.... it can be something in the mid -range size... such as this....

2006_itasca_navion_exterior.jpg

Much easier to manage... better on gas mileage, and doesn't take up as much space when storing it.  It also makes for a much appreciated "camping upgrade".. but not something you would consider if your living in it full time.  Just throwing some other options out there for ya'll to think of.  ;)  

P.S.... and I would ditch the paint job.. :unsure: .. waaaay to conspicuous!!!   :lol:   :rolleyes: 

• Upvote 2

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:  I was thinkin' the same thing Shab's... and your gonna have to have a mighty big drive thru when it comes time to "cash that baby in"!!!  :rolleyes: 

Uneek... I only have a very limited amount of RVing experience... I'm more of a camping kinda guy... but as I get older and as the wife complains more about the uncomfortable sleeping conditions of camping it holds a certain appeal.   Here are a few other considerations... 

1) It allows you to take your personal "stuff" to more varied locations than just a suitcase allows.  Imagine... opening the curtains one day and it's the Grand Canyon for a view out your window.  Then a few days later it could be The Painted Dessert or the Rockies... it's an almost limitless variety.

2) There is no rule that says you can't have both... and most folks do.  Go RVing in the nasty winter (believe me... the cold and snow is over rated as you get older)... head south... or south west.  

3) Another option... it doesn't have to be a full blown mammoth Recreational Vehicle.... it can be something in the mid -range size... such as this....

2006_itasca_navion_exterior.jpg

Much easier to manage... better on gas mileage, and doesn't take up as much space when storing it.  It also makes for a much appreciated "camping upgrade".. but not something you would consider if your living in it full time.  Just throwing some other options out there for ya'll to think of.  ;)  

P.S.... and I would ditch the paint job.. :unsure: .. waaaay to conspicuous!!!   :lol:   :rolleyes: 

The picture you have on here Rod is exactly the size of my RV. Yes they are a ball. I pack up the grand kids and hit the road camping every summer. Then come hunting season you have a deer camp on wheels. Me and the wife also like the idea that we can bug out at a moments notice. These are not really big enough to full time it. But like you said as you get older tents become harder and harder. On these newer units taking care of the septic is really easy. I would recommend one to anyone who's in to the out of doors.  

• Upvote 3

Many factors play into the amount of fuel consumed by an RV — the weight of the vehicle, engine size, fuel, driving habits — but even the most frugally minded RVers can expect to pay a pretty penny keeping the RV running. Smaller RVs get about 10-15 mpg while larger RVs come in at about 6-13 mpg. Most regular RVs hold between 40 and 85 gallons of gas (depending its class), which translates to between $148.12 and $314.75 per tank, based on the current average regular unleaded gas price of $3.70.

If I am not mistaken...MOST RVs use Diesel Fuel (and those are A LOT more expensive than GAS)!  Plus calling ahead to make camp sites reserved for you are a headache at times. BUT, now a days...not too many own RVs, and if they do, they are most likely parked at a storage area for years and years. Some of them get abandoned by their owners.

e895c6.jpg

Living in an RV Full-Time: What You Need to Know

Thinking about living the life of a nomad? Want to brave the open road in an RV? There’s a lot to love about throwing caution to the wind and exploring the world on wheels, but it’s not without its own set of complications. Before you put your house up for sale and pawn off all your worldly possessions for a mobile existence, take this guide to living in an RV into consideration. (See also: How to Travel Full-Time for $17,000 a Year (or Less!))

1. An RV May Not Be Cheaper Than Traditional Housing

Think the only costs you’ll incur living in an RV is the monthly loan payment and gas? Think again.

While RV living can be less expensive than a home mortgage and the regular maintenance costs that are associated with home ownership overall, there are plenty of other costs to consider.

In addition to the loan payment (unless you have the cash to buy it outright) and fuel (gas ain’t cheap these days, y’all), you’ll need to pay for insurance, site rentals if you plan to stay in an RV park (which can run $300 to $500 a month), propane and electricity (which are available at RV rental sites for an additional fee), and maintenance. Considering these costs, you’ll still be paying about the same per month as you would living in a small apartment.

3. RV Insurance Is Not Regular Auto Insurance

Because you’ll being using your RV as a mobile home, insurance considerations are different than those associated with a regular vehicle. A specialized policy may require you to cover things like total loss replacement, replacement cost of personal belongings, full-timer liability, campsite liability, emergency expenses, medium-duty tow trucks, all of which will rack up that insurance bill quickly.

4. Can You Live Without Wi-Fi and Phone Service?

While many modern RV parks and campsites have Internet access on-site, Wi-Fi may not be an option. And if you’re in a remote area, you can probably forget about cell phone service, too. You’ll be able to get online from time to time, but it may be days or even weeks between access availability. So you have to ask yourself, can you live a life without being connected 24/7? Something to ponder before embarking.

5. Where Does the Mail Carrier Deliver Your Mail?

If you’re not staying in one place for more than a couple weeks, how will you get your mail? You can give your personal contacts the address of the park in which you’re staying if you plan to stay in a park, but it’s not feasible to expect your bills and other important mail to arrive at each of your destinations. Thus you’ll have to cancel most of your mail and set up online bill pay so you don’t get behind on payments because you didn’t receive them. Out of sight, out of mind is an easy way to forget about your obligations, but it’ll catch up with you in a bad way eventually.

6. You Have to Drain the Sewage Yourself

One of the great things about RV traveling is that the vehicle is self-contained. You can make meals in it, you can sleep comfortably in it, and you can do your 1s and 2s in it without having to pull into a rest stop or fast-food joint. Your 1s and 2s have to go somewhere though, and that somewhere is in a septic tank attached to the underside of the vehicle that will need to be emptied — and that can get messy. If you’ve got a weak stomach, definitely think hard about this necessary evil.

7. Can You Manage All the Other Stuff, Too?

RV living isn’t just driving from one location to the next, parking, and propping your feet up in nomadic bliss. There are lots of little things to remember, such as checking the battery water level monthly, lowering one corner of your awning to permit easier draining when there’s precipitation, and stocking up on rectangle storage boxes so you make efficient use of limited space. Once you arrive at the RV park, there's lots more to do, starting at the front office (requesting park maps, asking about discounts, and inquiring about Internet service), and then locating your RV space and setting up, which includes deploying decks and other heavy external features of the RV, connecting electricity, turning on water pumps, and raising roof-mounted accessories, among a host of other duties.

8. You’ll Need to Earn Money

Unless you’re embarking on your RV existence with a bank account full of money, you’ll need to work along the way, so you can ensure that there’s a consistent cash flow in case of emergencies, which, in an RV, can be quite costly. If you have the luxury of working remotely in your normal life, that’s still an option while living in an RV, but chances are you’ll need at least somewhat consistent Internet access. Otherwise you’ll have to find new ways to make money — helping out at the RV park, finding odd jobs on Craigslist, and other one-off projects — to bring in dough on the regular.

http://www.wisebread.com/living-in-an-rv-full-time-what-you-need-to-know

Hey Hey  Hey Everybody -- The picture was just for fun - and the list  was just a short one  to get you thinking- I did this in a hurry - without  researching  a whole lot -   and I really feel there are  more positive  features to consider -

While I do like the comforts of home  there is a lot to be said for traveling this way --  and Rod  is right - having more of your personal belongings with you   and not living out of a suitcase  -   no check in time or check out time to be bothered with -  and  most importantly no concerns about and having to  deal with  the  real cleanliness  of a motel /hotel room

If there was a significant other in my life there would definitely be a nice RV  in the  driveway -- I am not fond of flying but I do like to  travel and see  different places -  I love to go through the little towns and  stop at the antique shops   - The RV definitely provides many many features to comfortable traveling without the hassles of flying -

Who knows, maybe  there will still be  one in the driveway    and my son in law can do the driving while me and the girls  sit back - relax -- look out the window and surf the  internet  for the next shopping mall --  I could dig this idea for sure -

Thanks everyone for your contributions -   would love to hear more stories from those who have experienced the RV traveling -

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I love my RV. Just wish I could use it more. Right now, I go to Mexico every chance I get. We have a little shrimping village a couple hours south of Phoenix that is heaven on a beach. I also go to the mountains. I get to take my dogs, the food and drink that I like and I can do all the RV stuff by myself. Emptying the tanks is so easy. Undo the cap, hook up the hoses, open the valves. Do the black (toilet) tank first, and the grey (shower/sink) tank second. Gives the hose a wash this way.

I also tow my jeep behind it. I tried to paste the picture here, but it wouldnt work.

12844_1181426973237_307481_n.jpg

By the way Uneek, I will be 55 this year and have been driving this particular motorhome for 6 years.  It is 30 feet long and very easy to manage.

• Upvote 2

If I am not mistaken...MOST RVs use Diesel Fuel (and those are A LOT more expensive than GAS)!  Plus calling ahead to make camp sites reserved for you are a headache at times. BUT, now a days...not too many own RVs, and if they do, they are most likely parked at a storage area for years and years. Some of them get abandoned by their owners.

Actually mine gets around 15 to 16 mpg and there are multitudes of people who still RV. Most of the smaller class like mine and most the modern large classes use reg gas and are not diesel .

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 1

I agree Dog53.  Mine is gas and I get about 10 towing the jeep.  Also I use it almost monthly, would hate to see it sit and go to waste.  Even just 50 miles down the road for the weekend is alright by me.  The picture I posted is 22 miles from my place.  A little higher elevation, but quite close by.

• Upvote 1

Viciousdoggie  That is a great picture and a great story -  I see the little fencing for the doggies --  I am  kinda  getting the fever now - lol -   but  still would not  want to drive something that big -- I drove my daughters Tahoe one time and felt like I was in a huge Sherman tank - I  thought I wanted a big Hummer --  probably not now -  a mid size 4x4  will suit me  I think - I have done a bit of traveling like this as a child and it was not so bad - it is  amazing how well you can live  - living "simply"  Thank you for sharing your story - hopefully others will  and offer their tidbits of advice -- I just noticed the name on yours "Shasta" that is  the name of the one  my dad had when I was young and we traveled -- We went to Canada / Niagra Falls - New York -  Florida - Jekyl Island, Georgia -  and other places   but it was a small camper pulled behind our  car  - it was the poor mans style lol lol

Actually mine gets around 15 to 16 mpg and there are multitudes of people who still RV. Most of the smaller class like mine and most the modern large classes use reg gas and are not diesel .

I have noticed a trend in the past 10 years in particular at State Parks... more and more "RV Camp Sites" and fewer and fewer tent sights.  Americans are upgrading as they get more affluent and comfort conscious.  Gotta be honest though... there is still a little bit of the Boy Scout in me that misses the good ol' days of roughing it.... then there is the achy bones syndrome in me that is gettin' to enjoy the creature comforts more and more!   :rolleyes:  The most important thing imo though is this... however you see nature is just fine... as long as you take the time to "see it, experience it, and soak it in"!!!  ;) 

Oh I still get my share of roughing it. Sometimes we get brave and take all the grand kids at once. So the wife and the grand-daughters get the Rv and us rough tough guys get to pitch the tent.   Then it takes me 3 days to recover 

• Upvote 1

With or without an rv, we are planning a trip to Northern California (Patrick's Point State Park) in August of 2014. We'll likely look for a super cheap tent trailer if we haven't gotten the rv yet, if we do, we'll buy a small camper like Dog's... can't see Doggie's picture... and enjoy a week or two in the redwoods. IF we do get it this year, we may go up this August as well.

KK

post-44145-0-38556900-1364323171_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Oh I still get my share of roughing it. Sometimes we get brave and take all the grand kids at once. So the wife and the grand-daughters get the Rv and us rough tough guys get to pitch the tent.   Then it takes me 3 days to recover 

Yup... I feel your pain dog... in my back... my neck... my... well, you get the point!!!  :rolleyes: 

Dog53 - Ron - JonJon  -- loved the  comments-  and JonJon that is a great picture - wow talk about simple living  that is awesome - thank you for sharing +1  Dog53 is your RV a Navion?  I have a girlfriend that plans on getting one of those Post RV -  I am getting a little excited now and a little Spring Fever I think --   woooooo whooooo  Come  On RV <3 <3