Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The leftist loons are at it again. Part II.......Best friends are banned!!

parmenio

This time in the UK!  Think we have it bad here...., this is where we are headed for in the states!

Schools ban children making best friends

Pals ... but kids told to form groups

By HARRY HAWKINS

Published: 19th March 2012

TEACHERS are banning schoolkids from having best pals — so they don’t get upset by fall-outs.

Instead, the primary pupils are being encouraged to play in large groups.

Educational psychologist Gaynor Sbuttoni said the policy has been used at schools in Kingston, South West London, and Surrey.

She added: “I have noticed that teachers tell children they shouldn’t have a best friend and that everyone should play together.

“They are doing it because they want to save the child the pain of splitting up from their best friend. But it is natural for some children to want a best friend. If they break up, they have to feel the pain because they’re learning to deal with it.”

Russell Hobby, of the National Association of Head Teachers, confirmed some schools were adopting best-friend bans.

He said: “I don’t think it is widespread but it is clearly happening. It seems bizarre.

“I don’t see how you can stop people from forming close friendships. We make and lose friends throughout our lives.” The Campaign for Real Education, which wants more parental choice in state education, said the “ridiculous” policy was robbing children of their childhood.

Spokesman Chris McGovern added: “Children take things very seriously and if you tell them they can’t have a best friend it can be seriously damaging to them. They need to learn about relationships.”

h.hawkins@the-sun.co.uk

myView

By DEIDRE SANDERS,

THIS policy doesn’t just fly in the face of common sense, it’s chilling.

Our childhood friendships are how we begin to learn about love and commitment. Of course they often break up, and that is how we learn resilience so we can cope with rejection later.

Such a ruling has stemmed from teachers lacking confidence and skills to deal with the fall-out from classmates’ rows. But seeing teachers — and parents — cope calmly with conflict and hurt is what our children model themselves on.

I hope this silly policy is buried as of now.

Edited by parmenio
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Almost all of my best friends when I was a kid, started at school........the best friend part blossomed after school got out.......fishing, playing ball. paper routes, copying each other's homework, eating supper together at whatever house was serving the best meal that night, throwing snowballs at cars.....the list goes on and on.   No way can the schools effectively enforce this ban.   :shakehead: 

GO RV, then BV

Some "wise" Social Psychologist decided that this would be a "protection" from the hurts, cuts, and bruses of having a close friend.  Hog wash! You cann't protect your child from life.  To be so neive to assume that this can be legislated is foolish and lacking in "social skills!" 

I agree with Shabibilicious . . . this is uninforceable.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Besides we need to learn to whisper our very deepest, darkest secrets to someone very special, someone we can trust.  That special "someone" in grade school is our highly trusted "very best friend in the whole wide world."  We just can't tell everything to everyone.  Too much risk of ridicule.  So we need a best friend for our most important secrets. I have never heard of such adult stupidity as trying to deny children a very best friend in the whole wide world. We learn to share our own secrets and to keep and honor the secrets of others in this way.

• Upvote 3

Give me a ruddy break! I totally agree with all of you! Best friends are vital to social and emotional well-being and maturity. I understand wanting to protect young kids from hurt, but you can't possibly fully enjoy the good without having experienced the bad. They would be doing a horrible disservice to children to try to enforce this ridiculousness. Social experiments in this day and age... who'd a thunk it?

KK

• Upvote 1

Whether you are kidding or not, that is an absurd response and one that in today's day and age is not taken lightly.

Thats all right.

Knowing my boy sxsess

He didnt mean it lightly.

hahahahahahahahahahahaa

Its all good Lib 

He`s just talkin smack

No big deal 

Stop trying to be everybodys mama

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This time in the UK!  Think we have it bad here...., this is where we are headed for in the states!

Schools ban children making best friends

Pals ... but kids told to form groups

By HARRY HAWKINS

Published: 19th March 2012

TEACHERS are banning schoolkids from having best pals — so they don’t get upset by fall-outs.

Instead, the primary pupils are being encouraged to play in large groups.

Educational psychologist Gaynor Sbuttoni said the policy has been used at schools in Kingston, South West London, and Surrey.

She added: “I have noticed that teachers tell children they shouldn’t have a best friend and that everyone should play together.

“They are doing it because they want to save the child the pain of splitting up from their best friend. But it is natural for some children to want a best friend. If they break up, they have to feel the pain because they’re learning to deal with it.”

Russell Hobby, of the National Association of Head Teachers, confirmed some schools were adopting best-friend bans.

He said: “I don’t think it is widespread but it is clearly happening. It seems bizarre.

“I don’t see how you can stop people from forming close friendships. We make and lose friends throughout our lives.” The Campaign for Real Education, which wants more parental choice in state education, said the “ridiculous” policy was robbing children of their childhood.

Spokesman Chris McGovern added: “Children take things very seriously and if you tell them they can’t have a best friend it can be seriously damaging to them. They need to learn about relationships.”

h.hawkins@the-sun.co.uk

myView

By DEIDRE SANDERS,

THIS policy doesn’t just fly in the face of common sense, it’s chilling.

Our childhood friendships are how we begin to learn about love and commitment. Of course they often break up, and that is how we learn resilience so we can cope with rejection later.

Such a ruling has stemmed from teachers lacking confidence and skills to deal with the fall-out from classmates’ rows. But seeing teachers — and parents — cope calmly with conflict and hurt is what our children model themselves on.

I hope this silly policy is buried as of now.

I agree this is an absolutely ridiculous policy and can not be enforced. I justy don't get why your topic heading has to be disrespectful to any certain group. What do leftists have to do with this article.  Does it state anywhere in the article that there is a certain group trying to make this happen?  Why do you have to go out of your way to degrade a certain affiliation of people just because you do not follow the same mind set?

I'm a republican and I am offended by your constant harrassing.  I can just imagine how the "leftists" feel.

Also, just so you all know....The Sun which published this article is the equivalent of ":The Enquirer" here in the states.  If we are going to find articles solely to make snide remarks about people maybe we could at least find a reputable news source. 

I'm trying to be as respectful as possible but enough is enough.   

Thats all right.

Knowing my boy sxsess

He didnt mean it lightly.

hahahahahahahahahahahaa

Its all good Lib 

He`s just talkin smack

No big deal 

Stop trying to be everybodys mama

I'm not trying to be anything to anyone, but thanks for the insult. 

• Upvote 2

I agree this is an absolutely ridiculous policy and can not be enforced. I justy don't get why your topic heading has to be disrespectful to any certain group. What do leftists have to do with this article.  Does it state anywhere in the article that there is a certain group trying to make this happen?  Why do you have to go out of your way to degrade a certain affiliation of people just because you do not follow the same mind set?

I'm a republican and I am offended by your constant harrassing.  I can just imagine how the "leftists" feel.

Also, just so you all know....The Sun which published this article is the equivalent of ":The Enquirer" here in the states.  If we are going to find articles solely to make snide remarks about people maybe we could at least find a reputable news source. 

I'm trying to be as respectful as possible but enough is enough.   

I'm not trying to be anything to anyone, but thanks for the insult. 

Sure anytime.

hahahahahaha  Dang Lib just  messing with you you need to lighten up man. 

As hard as you might try you cant save the world and if you think I insulted you 

I appologize man just kidding around dude.

Dog just being dog 

• Upvote 1

I guess that's one of the differences between you and I Dog.  You focus on what people can't do and I focus on what people just might be able to do. 

I'm not trying to save the world, I'm simply trying to keep "off topic posts" from turning into a one sided bash fest. 

To me it's not all about insults or trying to drag opposing views down.  It's more about mutual respect and trying to find some balance so that everyone's opinion counts.

It's all good bro.  Some day when this craziness is over we'll share a Meatball hero and an extra large pepsi.

Until then, it's just Lib being Lib

:peace:

• Upvote 1

I guess that's one of the differences between you and I Dog.  You focus on what people can't do and I focus on what people just might be able to do. 

I'm not trying to save the world, I'm simply trying to keep "off topic posts" from turning into a one sided bash fest. 

To me it's not all about insults or trying to drag opposing views down.  It's more about mutual respect and trying to find some balance so that everyone's opinion counts.

It's all good bro.  Some day when this craziness is over we'll share a Meatball hero and an extra large pepsi.

Until then, it's just Lib being Lib

:peace:

works for me man

It's a First Amendment thing guys! We agree or agree to dis-agree, a beautiful thing. There's a bunch of other Amendments I like as well. All you guys and gals are great!

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!!

No...really....I love you.

• Upvote 2

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!!

No...really....I love you.

Hmm, Hmm, (Clearing my throat). "We're all men here right"? Jokin ya brother. All is good! Hopefully, It'll get much better as time goes on. I completely understand, being progressive this day and age when the majority of the population doesn't agree with a thing you believe in is a difficult situation to be in. Just remember Bro, So they say, The worst President in the history of The United States of America was re-elected by Electoral Vote by the Progressive population. I love you too man! Slay.

• Upvote 1

Besides we need to learn to whisper our very deepest, darkest secrets to someone very special, someone we can trust.  That special "someone" in grade school is our highly trusted "very best friend in the whole wide world."  We just can't tell everything to everyone.  Too much risk of ridicule.  So we need a best friend for our most important secrets. I have never heard of such adult stupidity as trying to deny children a very best friend in the whole wide world. We learn to share our own secrets and to keep and honor the secrets of others in this way.

Very well put Francie, couldn't agree with you more.  I'm sure if it begins in the US parents won't stand for it. 

Guys, Dog, Slay and Liboy, you all are bringing tears to my eyes.  Loving the love.  :D

Hmm, Hmm, (Clearing my throat). "We're all men here right"? Jokin ya brother. All is good! Hopefully, It'll get much better as time goes on. I completely understand, being progressive this day and age when the majority of the population doesn't agree with a thing you believe in is a difficult situation to be in. Just remember Bro, So they say, The worst President in the history of The United States of America was re-elected by Electoral Vote by the Progressive population. I love you too man! Slay.

I'm confused. Are you talking about Bush or Obama?

• Upvote 1