Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

President says that anybody who works 40 hours a week shouldn't be in poverty.

yota691

Obama’s Minimum-Wage Gambit Puts Republicans on Defensive by Eleanor Clift  Feb 18, 2013 4:45 AM EST

•  
  •  

It must be hard to remain stone-faced knowing you’re on television when the president says that anybody who works 40 hours a week shouldn’t be in poverty. :blink:  Who could be against that?

1361135379876.cached.jpg

Steve Cole/Getty

That, at least, is how President Obama framed his call for an increase in the minimum wage to $9 an hour (up from the current $7.25). Seated right behind Obama for the State of the Union, and in full camera range, John Boehner managed to stay expressionless; he didn’t even pretend to empathize.

The next day the House Speaker dismissed Obama’s proposal, saying he’d been in themiddle of periodic fights over hiking the minimum wage for 28 years, his entire political career, beginning in the Ohio House of Representatives. “When you raise the price of employment, guess what happens? You get less of it,” he said, staking out his opposition to Obama on an issue that once again leaves Republicans on the wrong side of popular opinion.

Raising the minimum wage polls well, with Democrats almost universally supporting it; independents, 74 percent; and Republicans, 50 percent, according to a Lake Research survey last year. With Obama on the road selling his proposals, Tony Fratto, a former Bush White House official, tweeted, “Has raising the minimum wage ever not polled well?” In a series of tweets, he proposed the GOP stop “fighting unpopular fights over and over again,” and instead outbid the Democrats and “insist on an $11 minimum wage.”

In a follow-up email, Fratto said his call for $11 was “mostly facetious,” but his larger point is that the “knee-jerk opposition to minimum-wage increases in my party … that’s a problem. Democrats know they can always call for a minimum-wage increase, and that will be popular … If this is simply a political exercise … take away the Democrat ability to claim a ‘win’ by effectively always outbidding them.”

There won’t be a bidding war with Republicans, and once you get beyond the political gamesmanship the White House makes a good case for advancing the idea of an increase in the minimum wage despite Boehner’s negative response. A senior White House official points out that in 1996, the Republican Congress passed legislation to raise the minimum wage that Bill Clinton signed into law. The previous year, then-Majority leader **** Armey had vowed to oppose any increase with every fiber of his being.

During his State of the Union address, President Obama called on Congress to raise the minimum wage to nine dollars per hour.

President Bush signed the last increase into law in 2007 after Democrats regained control of both the House and Senate. “History has shown this is the type of idea that can get more traction than a lot of other things you might want to do about poverty,” says the White House official, attributing much of the rise in economic inequality to the erosion of the minimum wage through inflation. In austere economic times, hiking the minimum wage has the virtue of not costing the Treasury any money, though economists disagree over its effect on tax revenue and job creation.

The late Ted Kennedy worked with Bush on the ’07 increase, and he was the driving force in Congress over a period of decades to boost wages for the poorest Americans. If Obama’s proposal becomes law, increases in the minimum wage would be tied to the cost of living, ensuring regular increases and defusing the issue politically.

James Sherk, a senior policy analyst at the conservative Heritage Foundation, says that apart from the political differences that are playing out around Obama’s proposal, the current economic climate is likely to thwart any increase in the minimum wage. Recent increases, in 1990, 1996, and 2007, all occurred when the economy was seen as expanding and Republicans didn’t push back as much. Now, says Sherk, conservatives worry about the “unintended consequences, that you hurt the people you want to help.”

Democrats and Republicans disagree about the economic consequences of a higher minimum wage, but they do agree on the politics, that it’s a loser for Republicans and mostly a winner for Democrats. “It should resonate,” says Matt Bennett, a co-founder of Third Way, a centrist Democratic group. “No one will win an election on this, but it rounds out with some base voters that he’s focused on their needs, too.” Democratic pollster Stefan Hankin agrees that it speaks to the Democratic base, but warns that it also risks deepening the divide between the business community and Democrats at a time when the GOP is in such disarray that an olive branch to business might be better politics. Either way, Democrats have set a proposal in motion that if it doesn’t pass in this Congress, it likely will in the next.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Higher Wages, More company's fold , more Unemployed, less taxes paid in , Bottom has to drop out some time soon. Then its Every man for there self. Riots in the streets, breaking in to your homes for food and looting. Don't no when but its coming.Under This Idiotic Administration.

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 1

I'm sure, in his infinite wisdom, Prez is thinking he'll just print more money...that will cover the pay increase, right??? He clearly failed his economics class in college. 1,337 days left of this imposter's run in the white house.

• Upvote 4

Really? Some here just gobsmack me!

Guess they don't realize that a great number of mininum wage earners are young single parents, mostly women, thus causing kids to live in poverty.

If someone is working 40 hours a week, should they really have to go get foodstamps in order to be able to feed their children?

Sometimes they have too, it's NOT a choice. They should have their dignity just as any other working American, with an above poverty wage.

Don't tell me they should just "do better"... they are doing the best they can for the time being. The one's who should "do

better" are the employers that are hoarding every dime of profit they can get away with. Some would have "sweat shops"

right here in the good ole USA if it was allowed.

Heck, here in Utah waitresses make $2.50 an hour because of the chinzy tips they may or may not get.

Why? Because they got away with it by some funky law put through in this state... we have most chains in every little town here.

YES! Let's by all means keep every dime possible in the corporate pockets, maybe they will get a hole in one and drop a penny on the floor.

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 10

***///

Those who already posses a slave mentality will never be able to wrap their heads around

the "unintended consequences" of this..... <_<

They'll scream "bloody murder" - as they've been programmed to do - if it's shot down by Repubs.....

Sarge I am not "programmed". I have eyes to see for myself.

"unintended consequences" is what has been programmed by Fox/Corp nuuz. hahahahaa

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

I agree Maggie.  Then with the outrageous price of higher education......kids fortunate enough to get to college must work crazy hours for meager wages just to scrape by.  Now don't get me wrong.....those kind of life lessons are priceless for todays coddled youth.  However, making an honest wage for honest work should be a no brainer.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

****////

Wow... looks like someone else failed their economics class here, too.

Your explanations, lack of reasoning and analogy prove your inability to grasp the reality of the problem.

In trying to keep you slave-mentality victims from falling into worse abject poverty, we're trying to help you. 

Yet you come in here blaming a news outlet saying it's the fault of the businesses n America...? :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

Kool-aid soaked, just drenched... brainwashed zombie thinking blinding you to the educated facts.

Put down the kool-aid and pick up a book, for pete's sake! <_<

I agree Maggie.  Then with the outrageous price of higher education......kids fortunate enough to get to college must work crazy hours for meager wages just to scrape by.  Now don't get me wrong.....those kind of life lessons are priceless for todays coddled youth.  However, making an honest wage for honest work should be a no brainer.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV 

***///

You don't see the problem as being the FACT that business who WOULD hire these college grads is being murdered by your political messiah's treatment of it...?

Or the fact that illegal aliens get FREE education whilst OUR own kids must pay through the nose?

Don't lose perspective through your partisan hate.

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 13
  • Downvote 4

I'm all about raising the minimum wage...but then control the costs of living.  Does no good to raise the minimum wage when the food & fuel costs constantly go up....it'll put us back at square one.  The problems in our country are a direct result of the politicians, and in my opinion, they all should be voted out of office.  That would send a clear and concise message to Congress that the Amercian people aren't playing anymore.   

• Upvote 11

***///

You don't see the problem as being the FACT that business who WOULD hire these college grads is being murdered by your political messiah's treatment of it...?

Or the fact that illegal aliens get FREE education whilst OUR own kids must pay through the nose?

Don't lose perspective through your partisan hate.

You gals need to climb the HE!! off your soapbox once in a while.  I will fend for my family and fix my own problems including dealing with the exorbitant price of higher education,.....before spending a minute of my time dealing with the country's issues.  You call me partisan......when ALL you ever do is spit your Obama and democrat hate and venom.  From this moment forward because of that last line in your diatribe, you will be considered nothing but hypocritical in my view......it doesn't mean I don't dig you all though......you do have your moments.

GO RV, then BV 

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

I'm all about raising the minimum wage...but then control the costs of living.  Does no good to raise the minimum wage when the food & fuel costs constantly go up....it'll put us back at square one.  The problems in our country are a direct result of the politicians, and in my opinion, they all should be voted out of office.  That would send a clear and concise message to Congress that the Amercian people aren't playing anymore.   

:twothumbs:

I just want to add when we say "Politicians" we should be saying "Corporate/Politicians"... and yes we should vote every single one of them out!

Sarge, save it for someone else that doesn't get it dear. Your "wisdom" and cocky insults are wasted on me.

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Rayzur said it so well, I'll just let her words speak again for how I see this too...  (Sarge???) not quite

Quoting Rayzur:

Every dog has its bone to chew in their lifetime, and mine unquestionably takes issue with negative energy/commentary/attitude that serves to divide, separate and focus us upon that which makes us different and thereby isolates us from the other. Its probably years of ingrained team command, responsibility, empowerment and mission accomplishment. I've had those in my command who constantly point out the problem.... never once the solution, just commentary on the obvious as if it were news. The challenge is and always has been, what the flip do we do, given where we are. And for me, relative to my training I guess, bashing doesn't do anything to change where we are today. I usually empower those people to transfer out, and we as a team are far more unified, focused and empowered to face whatever the hellfire challenges us at the moment. So yes, I do get a bit testy when folk emerge as divisive as its not solution oriented and pretty much engenders entropy, anger, and derailment from a unified mission focus. 

We are where we are. If some folk want to wait it out for 4 years, that is totally fine. Honest. But please don't ask me to indulge wasted time and energy waiting with them around the campfire trading slams, slurs and bashing about where we are. Things are tough enough in the world, extremely hard for some people, and so depressing for others, without being drug down into some constant slam hole. Though I guess I have to put myself in check on this, as it may serve some useful purpose for those who continue to engage it. I don't know how, but would have to admit that I do judge it to be meaningless, counter productive, and in some cases actually destructive. As one who commands many, and carries the responsibility that goes with that,  its not something I will or can or would even consider endorsing. And I probably do share it more than most... and there is no question BamaGirl.... I do admonish therein :rolleyes:

As a final thought, I can not separate myself from who I am trained to be. None of us can. It is in my blood, soul and every fiber of my being, as it is for many. You count on this being so for me as for every officer serving this country. You count on me and every other officer knowing what is right and the right thing to do, down to the bone marrow, and not waiver from that.... to the point of death in defending what is right. As it should be.

And with that I will say it now, and only this once; as a field grade officer, it is indeed my expectation, that anyone claiming to have served in the military should be able to  conduct themselves as such. That does not mean we have to agree, and likely means we will often disagree. Disagreement is necessary such that one is never blind sided by those sitting on the other side of the table. I appreciate dissent in opinion. I'd rather have it come from my guys, than those guys. However, that form of disagreement, for military personnel, former and current, ... if that service ever meant anything to them, if that oath ever meant anything to them, .... does not ever include publicly referring to an elected President of the United States, as some kind of common garbage, filth, or trash. Any military person worth their salt or service, knows we respect the position and not the person. And referring to the person with anything other than respect in public opinions, is not becoming of an officer or gentlemen. Maybe enlisted don't carry that threshold of conduct, but I would have to say, it sure as hellll was never any enlisted person I ever knew. No way. Officer and Gentleman down to E1 all the way. So by all means, honestly, hate the guy all you want. There have been more than I few I could not stand,.... and a few I actually thought were evil. But it is never my place as a military service member to make those comments publicly. Hate the guy all you want.  But do without losing your bearing or bringing dishonor on the military.  

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/143287-in-defense-of-obama/page-3#ixzz2NKhxShf8
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

In my opinion if you put in 40 hours a week you should be able to live above poverty. Raising minimum wage seems like a good answer until you look at all the economic ramifications of it.

Working 40 hours a week means you are WORKING not asking for government handouts or trying to get something for free. However, there are many many people who work 40 hours a week or more who cannot make enough to keep the lights on in the house and not because they are living beyond their means, just that the cost of things are skyrocketing and wages are not keeping pace.

Not every person in this country has the ability to go to college to better their chances at a well paying job. I know many who say, simply move to a better location where jobs are or the wages are better. Not always possible.

There are 2 sides to every argument and the truth is somewhere in the middle. Rather than bashing everyone else, we should be working towards a solution that helps all the hard working people in America and not divide by Democrat or Republican or Independent.

• Upvote 4

In my opinion if you put in 40 hours a week you should be able to live above poverty. Raising minimum wage seems like a good answer until you look at all the economic ramifications of it.

Working 40 hours a week means you are WORKING not asking for government handouts or trying to get something for free. However, there are many many people who work 40 hours a week or more who cannot make enough to keep the lights on in the house and not because they are living beyond their means, just that the cost of things are skyrocketing and wages are not keeping pace.

***///

FLINT.... you "get it"...... maybe you can take a crack at trying to explain it to some others here.

And whilst we agree it is not always a partisan issue, this administration is making it one to be sure.

Traditionally the repubs are seen as being too one-sided in favour of business and the dems relish making them the scapegoats for their own sneaky agenda...

meanwhile, obummer is holding court in the oval office with unions,

international business concerns and even American businesses all the while telling his supporters how evil the repubs are for not wanting to give the working class stiff a raise.

he went so far as to demonize Romney for working hard and portrayed him as demonic for having done so.

and yet we didn't see him going after gorge soros and he's the evil-est cat of all in this!

It's sick.  Just pathetic pandering to his masses and they ignorantly fall into the trap....

not their fault because they don't know any better... 

just wish they'd DO WORK and educate themselves on the reality and truth of the situation and

target the individuals responsible - not one party over another.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

WOW first and for most there are givers and takers if not for the givers we would not have America. There are those that like to blame corporations or business owners for keeping the takers down all i can say to that is wake the hell up. We all start at minimum wage us givers keep giving are blood, sweat and tears to better ourselves the takers just continue to complain about how unfair it is. I have worked my ass off ( droped out of high school in the 10th grade) to have a some what successful company so when I here it's so unfair it turns my stomach. and Maggie in my Opinion Romney kwould have been better we we won't go into it. and as far as minimum wage going up thats fine, cost of goods and services go up to offset it. but rest assured that our government will not get the takers out of taking that is up to them.

Greg.

• Upvote 2