Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Legal Gun Carrier Arrested For Carrying Gun

krome2ez

Legal Gun Carrier Arrested For Carrying Gun

posted on February 4, 2013 by Philip Hodges

It’s good that there is a growing number of sheriffs and state sheriff associations around the country that are banding together in their opposition to the Obama administration’s gun-grabbing agenda. But there are still some cops out there that just don’t get it.

Recently, a Florida man was pulled over for having an expired tag. The cop’s dash cam video shows Joel Smith getting out of his van to give the cop his license. Deputy Alan Cox asks for his registration and proof of insurance, and as Smith turns his back to the cop to retrieve that information from his van, his legally owned concealed gun becomes barely visible in his back pocket.

I’ve seen the dash cam video a few times, and by the third time, I was finally able to make out a dark blur in his back, right pocket. Needless to say, it wasn’t obvious at all that he had a gun. And so what if it was obvious? But from that point on, the routine traffic stop descended into a confrontation with the cop screaming orders and expletives at the man to put his hands up and to get on the ground, face down with his hands behind his back.

When the cop first spotted the gun, he asked Smith, “Why do you carry a gun for?” Smith’s response was mostly inaudible, but he said something to the effect of, “I always carry a gun…I have a concealed carry permit.” A local news network reported on what ensued:

“Ten seconds later, he is being held at gunpoint. ‘Put your hands right up or I’ll shoot you in the f—— back,’ said Cox. Smith is legally licensed to carry a concealed weapon. ‘Get down on the f—— ground now,’ screamed Cox. Smith was arrested anyway charged with carrying a prohibited weapon openly.”

Deputy Cox blurted out that he didn’t care if he had a concealed carry permit. He could see the weapon, and that was a violation of the law. Actually, Florida state law was changed in 2011 to say the brief viewing of a gun in a non-threatening manner was not a violation of their concealed carry laws. For example, if a person is reaching for something in his vehicle, and his gun is exposed for half a second inadvertently, that would not be a violation of their concealed carry laws. Deputy Cox claimed that that half second was way too long, and that he felt threatened by the man who was calm and completely compliant.

And what kind of question is, “Why do you carry a gun for?” No, not just that the cop’s question ended with a preposition. I mean, why else would a person carry a gun but for self defense? Maybe Smith could have asked the cop the same question. Why does Cox get to not only carry a gun but point it right at the man and scream his head off like a mentally deranged individual with Tourette’s Syndrome? Oh, for personal defense? So, the taxpayers that write the cop’s paychecks aren’t afforded the same rights to self-defense as he is?

Thanks to the attention the dash cam video got on the internet, the state attorney decided not to prosecute the man, and the charges were dropped. The cop is now on “administrative leave pending an internal investigation,” which in cop-speak usually means paid vacation.

Here’s the dash cam video if you’re interested:

Read more: http://godfatherpolitics.com/9301/legal-gun-carrier-arrested-for-carrying-gun/#ixzz2Jy8kZwck

• Upvote 2

***///

Yup.... Patriot-lookin' guy driving an American van, wearing a hunting cap...

fit the profile for obummer's take-downs.

The cop over-reacted, has a potty mouth not fit for a gov servant and was

far over-reaching in many ways.

Paid leave should be pulled... he's an embarrassment to the force.

He needs to go back to school. Bet he was LAST in his class at the Academy.

"I'll shoot you in the f***ing back"...?! Oh, really.

Lawyer-up, Patriot. This junior-league Officer AND his boss BOTH need to

apologise.

What a tool.

***///

Now that we think on it some...

that cop's reaction smacks of training he may have recently received from

none other than ---- homeland security.

His reactions were identical to the training they are putting their troops through.

(we have a friend who's a Fl. State Trooper)

Things that make you go "Hmmmmnnn..." <_<

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 1

Cops are people to. Capable of making mistakes like anyone else. Maybe had a fight with his wife or something else going on and decided to take it out on this poor suker. Or maybe he`s just a bad cop have also seen a few of those. but dont judge the entire litter over one small runt. I have a whole lot of respect for law enforcement they have a shaty job and the pay aint that great.

• Upvote 1

Yes cops are people, and yes they make mistakes.

Now, don't go thinking I am bashing the police, I am not. My brother, retired now, was for more than two decades an officer (a cop) with the Ontario Provincial Police. Sort of like the American State Trooper or whatever they call their state police. Only, Ontario is a lot larger than one of the States. And the policing is a lot more diversified in most cases. And yes, there are a lot of gun challenges there ... mostly with natives ... some who have recently visited a beer store.

Anyway. Police have become afraid of guns, the ones they do not carry themselves. Really. What cops do when they are shouting, threatening, not listening to what the person says, and going over the top in their reaction to a gun ... all that is fear. they have been trained to be afraid. They have had all the civilian shootings, like at schools or shopping malls, as well as the guy who is reported shouting and shooting in his garage or whatever and then taking off like a madman in his Jeep Cherokee like a mad man ... they have had all of that presented as examples of when their guns may be necessary. It is frightening to think that a raving idiot who cannot control his temper could be the one who kills or maims them. I would certainly be afraid of that if I was being taught that so many of their encounters with the un-police could be deadly.

Those people responsible for training police officers are trying to train a response, not a reaction. The difference? A response is action taken or words voiced that address an issue in an appropriate manner, seeking some further information, or answer to a question, or solution to some seemingly untoward action. Wordy, ain't I ... hahaha

A reaction, on the other hand, is something like when the flash goes off you close your eyes. It is not a reasoned response. It is something that happens almost on its own. You don't even think about it ... it is in play before you can even think about thinking about it.

What this officer is doing, is reacting, not responding. Sorry to say, a lot of cops do that, and a significant number of those reactions are caught on tape and touted as being some kind of response to government gun policies. So, when an officer reacts and really makes a fool of himself, ... it is because he truly believes at that moment that he is in danger. He reacts to that danger. And we see the video and get to side with one of the other principals involved.

If there was a way to train officers (cops) to respond to these situations, this kind of encounter would be reduced immensely. But a person who carries a gun (the cops) and is trained to use it and understands every time he is practicing on the gun range that each of those bullets, any bullet, just one bullet ... could be the end of his life, or life as a cripple, or a life of pain. When you have someone who carries a gun and understands what it can really do ... they are naturally going to react rather than respond. No matter how we try to train police to respond rationally, that flight or fight reaction comes into play. And they automatically feel the worst case scenario and become raving, gun waving, foul mouthed beasts ... and not well trained cops.

Just my thoughts ...

:)/>

smee2

Sounds fishy.

In the state of Texas you are required to show your Concealed Carry License when asked for identification from a Peace Officer along with your Driver's License if you are driving.

I do not know the laws of Florida, do they have the same requirement?

Maybe that is what caused the problem.

The first thing that comes out of my mouth when dealing with law enforcement is that I am carrying a gun! It is only common sense.

I guess common sense is NOT common.

Sounds fishy.

In the state of Texas you are required to show your Concealed Carry License when asked for identification from a Peace Officer along with your Driver's License if you are driving.

I do not know the laws of Florida, do they have the same requirement?

Maybe that is what caused the problem.

The first thing that comes out of my mouth when dealing with law enforcement is that I am carrying a gun! It is only common sense.

I guess common sense is NOT common.

Not only that , but a conceal license means just that, concealed until you have to use it.It's a grey area however on the brandishing in this case, the mans shirt just came untucked.

Not only that , but a conceal license means just that, concealed until you have to use it.It's a grey area however on the brandishing in this case, the mans shirt just came untucked.

" Actually, Florida state law was changed in 2011 to say the brief viewing of a gun in a non-threatening manner was not a violation of their concealed carry laws."

The cop over-reacted and should have to take classes in Florida conceal carry laws and how to handle law abiding, non-threatening people. If the man had exhibited the same loss of control of his mouth and temper, he would probably have his CHL revoked for being unstable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's worthless cops like this that gives the rest a bad name!

100% agree and I hope the cop get written up for this, this is completely BS. <_< Although whenever stopped by a cop as soon as they approach the window it is your obligation to verbally advise the officer that you have a cpl. I would suggest telling him even if you forgot it at home they will see it when they run your ID anyhow.

If i"m not mistaken, the first thing I'm suppose to say is :

I have a concealed gun permit and I have a gun in my possession?

Maybe it would have defused the cop.

But being a cop and being surprised by a gun would put me on edge. :twocents:src="http://dinarvets.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/TwoCents.gif">

Though it may be a good idea to present your permit up front,

it is not required in the state of Florida to present your permit

unless the officer asks ("demands") the permit.

And as far as being "surprised," and being put on edge.

That officer was acting like a total idiot.

Florida has over 1 million permit holders.

He better get used to it.

Anyone can tell that the guy arrested,

was not threatening in any way.

• Upvote 1

In NC we have the right to openly carry a firearm..if concealed you need a permit or make sure you don't conceal it. The first thing you do is tell the officer your situation. Neither one is an arrestable cause but one would not expect to be threatened to be shot in the back. Just a quick update my AR-15 has now been sitting on the table (not accessible to children or adults) for the last 6 weeks and still hasn't shot any one.

• Upvote 2

***///

Yup.... Patriot-lookin' guy driving an American van, wearing a hunting cap...

fit the profile for obummer's take-downs.

The cop over-reacted, has a potty mouth not fit for a gov servant and was

far over-reaching in many ways.

Paid leave should be pulled... he's an embarrassment to the force.

He needs to go back to school. Bet he was LAST in his class at the Academy.

"I'll shoot you in the f***ing back"...?! Oh, really.

Lawyer-up, Patriot. This junior-league Officer AND his boss BOTH need to

apologise.

What a tool.

***///

Now that we think on it some...

that cop's reaction smacks of training he may have recently received from

none other than ---- homeland security.

His reactions were identical to the training they are putting their troops through.

(we have a friend who's a Fl. State Trooper)

Things that make you go "Hmmmmnnn..." dry.gif

I agree SgtF.

"I'll shoot you in the f***ing back"...?! Oh, really. dry.gif

This one particular Punk definitely deserves a good "Lifty"

Step back six feet, get a running start and kick him right in the b@lls, just

to see how high you can lift him off the ground. angry.gif

***///

We noticed that, too, SHABS.

Officers usually tell folks to stay put in their vehicles.

When the Officer approaches the vehicle, they touch the back of it to

show it is legally under their control at that time, so anything that happens after that

is the Cop's responsibility.

Stay in your car.

NOTE: friend was clocked on a motorcycle by an overhead chopper speeding down I-95...

Trooper vehicle whips out from behind a bank of trees further up, pulls him over, cites him.

Motorcycle guy goes to court, tells Judge the ticket should have been issued by the Officer

who witnessed/clocked him speeding, and the chopper didn't land, so wrongfully issued citation.

Judge agreed. Case dismissed. No points on license.

Florida changes law shortly thereafter. :P

Cops are people to. Capable of making mistakes like anyone else. Maybe had a fight with his wife or something else going on and decided to take it out on this poor suker. Or maybe he`s just a bad cop have also seen a few of those. but dont judge the entire litter over one small runt. I have a whole lot of respect for law enforcement they have a shaty job and the pay aint that great.

They are supposed to be professionals at all times. If they can't handle that, they can look for other work.

• Upvote 1

They are supposed to be professionals at all times. If they can't handle that, they can look for other work.

Exactly!!

Tell me who else would still have a job,

after they threaten to shoot another in the back?

Edited by krome2ez
  • Upvote 1