Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Author of "American Sniper" among the dead at Rough Creek

TexasGranny

Author of "American Sniper" among the dead at Rough Creek

Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 8:40 pm | Updated: 9:22 pm, Sat Feb 2, 2013.

Sara Vanden Berge sara.vandenberge@empiretribune.com

A former Tarleton State University student who wrote the best-selling book, "American Sniper," was one of two victims shot and killed at Rough Creek Lodge Saturday.

Chris Kyle and another man were found dead at Rough Creek's shooting range between 3:30 and 4 p.m. Saturday, according to Sheriff Tommy Bryant.

Eddie Ray Routh was arrested just before 9 p.m. Friday in Lancaster.

Investigators would not release additional information about the case or comment on how Routh may have been connected to Kyle.

The name of the second victim has also not been released.

Kyle, 38, was a former Navy SEAL who served four tours of duty in Iraq, where he was given the nickname "The Devil of Ramadi" by insurgents.

In 2008, he made his longest successful shot after he spotted an insurgent with a rocket launcher near a U.S. Army convoy at a range of 2,100 yards (1.2 miles).

Kyle leaves behind a wife, Taya, and two children.

Stephenville News

:( :( :(

:rocking-chair:

***///

We saw him in some interviews. He was such an awesome American. :eagle::salute:

This is very sad news, indeed. :(

What the hell is going on around here, anyway?

Why are all these notable American Patriots being killed?

As a pattern begins to develop here, one must ask....

Our prayers go out for those who love him and whom he loved.

• Upvote 3

***///

We saw him in some interviews. He was such an awesome American. :eagle:/> :salute:/>

This is very sad news, indeed. :(/>

What the hell is going on around here, anyway?

Why are all these notable American Patriots being killed?

As a pattern begins to develop here, one must ask....

Our prayers go out for those who love him and whom he loved.

You noticed that too....I smell something fishy...and its got conspiracy written all over it!!

• Upvote 1

WOW!! YOU SEE HOW EXTREME THEY ARE GOING TO GET THIS GUN LAW BANNED?

THEY ARE SMART AT WHAT THEY ARE DOING BUT YOU CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT THEIR PLANS ARE.

1) THEY HOAX THE KILLING OF THE SANDY HOOK KIDS WILL ALL THESE ACTORS AND NO BODY THE LIES KEEP CHANGING.. WELL YOU KILL KIDS AND YOU KNOW HOW EMOTIONAL THAT WOULD BE TO THE AMERICAN MEN AND WOMEN,PARENTS?

THEY NEED US TO ACT AND FIGHT WITH THEM TO BLAME THE GUNS

2) THE KILLING OF A MARINE WELL KNOWN.

THE RESPONSE FOR THE MARINES AND OTHER MILITARY PERSONEL TO BE PROGRAM TO WAR WITH CITIZEN THAT HAVE GUNS

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A former Tarleton State University student who wrote the best-selling book, "American Sniper," was one of two victims shot and killed at Rough Creek Lodge Saturday.

Chris Kyle and another man were found dead at Rough Creek's shooting range between 3:30 and 4 p.m. Saturday, according to Sheriff Tommy Bryant.

Very sad news. Our oldest kkid is reading this right now... very sad...

I agree, something's just not right about all of these heroes being "randomly" killed...

KK

MADD for Heather

Star-Telegram has an update Star-Telegram

Top Navy SEAL sniper killed on gun range of West Texas resort

Posted Saturday, Feb. 02, 2013

BY BARRY SHLACHTER BARRY@STAR-TELEGRAM

Chris Kyle, a retired Navy SEAL and the U.S. military's most lethal sniper, was fatally shot Saturday along with another man on the gun range of Rough Creek Lodge, a posh resort just west of Glen Rose, Erath County Sheriff Tommy Bryant said.

The 25-year-old suspect was apprehended about five hours later in Lancaster, southeast of Dallas, more than 70 miles from the scene, Bryant said.

The suspect, identified as Eddie Ray Routh, 25, was pursued to a house in Lancaster by officers, including a local SWAT team. Routh again try to flee in a vehicle but was stopped about 9 p.m. after spikes were laid across a road, Bryant said.

"The suspect has been caught and is in custody in Lancaster," the sheriff said. Erath County sheriff's investigators and Texas Rangers were securing a capital murder warrant, he said.

Witnesses told sheriff's investigators that the gunman opened fire on the two men around 3:30 p.m., then fled in a pickup truck belonging to one of the victims. The sheriff's department didn't get a call until around 6 p.m.

The motive of the shooting remained unclear, Bryant said. "Not a clue; absolutely no idea."

WFAA/Channel 8 quoted unnamed sources as saying that Kyle of Midlothian and a neighbor had taken Routh on an outing to help him deal with post-traumatic stress disorder. Routh turned on the men and shot them in the back, the report added.

The sheriff said he could not confirm how the victims were shot.

In January 2012, the Cleburne Times-Review reported that Routh of Lancaster was arrested in Johnson county on a DWI charge. Public records showed Routh previously lived in Camp LeJeune, N.C., site of a major Marine base.

The 38-year-old Kyle, who leaves a wife and two children, was the author of a 2012 autobiography , American Sniper.

A 1992 graduate of Midlothian High School, he attended Tarleton State University and tried to join the Navy in 1996 but was rejected after a physical exam revealed pins in his arm from a rodeo injury.

Three years later, Kyle was working on a ranch in Colorado when a Navy recruiter called. He was trained as a sniper and served 10 years.

He never disclosed exactly how many enemy combatants he shot, but the Pentagon certified more than 150 of his kills during four combat tours of Iraq. Some news reports credited him with as many as 255. His confirmed kills exceeded the exploits of legendary Marine Carlos Hathcock, whom Kyle called "the best sniper in the world." Hathcock had 93 confirmed kills in Vietnam.

In all, he was awarded two Silver Stars, five Bronze Stars with Valor and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals.

"I don't care about the medals," Kyle told the Star-Telegram in a 2012 interview. "I didn't do it for the money or the awards. I did it because I felt like it was something that needed to be done and it was honorable. I loved the guys."

A member of SEAL Team 3, Kyle picked off his targets from rooftops or windows of abandoned buildings during the 2003 war against Iraq, which toppled the Saddam Hussein regime. Primarily serving as a sniper and wounded twice, he provided "overwatch" protection for Marines and other U.S. troops and earned a reputation for his proficiency.

Most shots ranged from 200 to 1,200 yards. His longest, most remarkable kill -- from 1.2 miles away -- took out an insurgent aiming a rocket launcher at an approaching Army convoy.

During the second battle of Fallujah, Kyle said he killed about 40 insurgents. He shot several of them through an apartment window while lying atop an overturned baby crib.

From a second-story perch in Ramadi, Kyle spotted two men approaching on a motor scooter. As it slowed down, the rider in back removed a backpack and dropped it into a pothole, setting an improvised explosive device. As the scooter sped up, Kyle fired once from about 200 yards, taking aim at "cen

Looks like he was trying to help a brother soldier deal with PTSD. :(

:rocking-chair:

Here's where the "fishy smell " is strongest IMHO:

WFAA/Channel 8 quoted unnamed sources as saying that Kyle of Midlothian and a neighbor had taken Routh on an outing to help him deal with post-traumatic stress disorder. Routh turned on the men and shot them in the back, the report added.

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/140301-author-of-american-sniper-among-the-dead-at-rough-creek/#ixzz2JqRDlxoB

It has already been reported that the laws will be re-written to prevent Vets from having guns "period"....

As any Physician worth his salt can explain, ANYBODY who has served in combat has PTSD in some form or another....

SEE "Wartorn" (Documentary on HBO ? )

some vets handle it better than others, but if you have been in real combat you will have to deal with it...I know

so VERY sad indeed....

RIP fallen warrior...

baldeagle.gifsalute.gif

• Upvote 2

Witnesses told sheriff's investigators that the gunman opened fire on the two men around 3:30 p.m., then fled in a pickup truck belonging to one of the victims. The sheriff's department didn't get a call until around 6 p.m.

Thanks for the post Granny.

Kyle is a true American hero, and his death is a great loss for America.

I'm having a hard time understanding why he would be murdered,

and why it took 2 and a half hours for the Sheriff Dept to be called.

389eb4f31c056e04280f6a70670091f4.jpg

RIP Chris

Edited by krome2ez

You noticed that too....I smell something fishy...and its got conspiracy written all over it!!

Oy vey. Enough with the conspiracy theory's. Every God forsaken event that takes place that you don't like doesn't automatically have to be connected to a corrupt government trying to destroy us and take away our rights. Some things may definately trace back to our government. To think otherwise would be foolish. However, EVERYTHING is not a conspiracy theory. Enough already.

How about today we pay respect to a man that dedicated his life to making our lives and way of living better. I think we at least owe that much to him.

Tomorrow you can break out the creative writing abilities and tell us how the govt did it.

Deal?

• Upvote 2

Star-Telegram has an update Star-Telegram

Top Navy SEAL sniper killed on gun range of West Texas resort

Posted Saturday, Feb. 02, 2013

BY BARRY SHLACHTER BARRY@STAR-TELEGRAM

Chris Kyle, a retired Navy SEAL and the U.S. military's most lethal sniper, was fatally shot Saturday along with another man on the gun range of Rough Creek Lodge, a posh resort just west of Glen Rose, Erath County Sheriff Tommy Bryant said.

The 25-year-old suspect was apprehended about five hours later in Lancaster, southeast of Dallas, more than 70 miles from the scene, Bryant said.

The suspect, identified as Eddie Ray Routh, 25, was pursued to a house in Lancaster by officers, including a local SWAT team. Routh again try to flee in a vehicle but was stopped about 9 p.m. after spikes were laid across a road, Bryant said.

"The suspect has been caught and is in custody in Lancaster," the sheriff said. Erath County sheriff's investigators and Texas Rangers were securing a capital murder warrant, he said.

I am deeply saddened by the lose of such a fine patriot. People of his mold are very rare and exceptional patriots. He will be mised. I pray for all that is tuched by this travisty. God be with all.

The motive of the shooting remained unclear, Bryant said. "Not a clue; absolutely no idea."

The sheriff said he could not confirm how the victims were shot.

In January 2012, the Cleburne Times-Review reported that Routh of Lancaster was arrested in Johnson county on a DWI charge. Public records showed Routh previously lived in Camp LeJeune, N.C., site of a major Marine base.

The 38-year-old Kyle, who leaves a wife and two children, was the author of a 2012 autobiography , American Sniper.

A 1992 graduate of Midlothian High School, he attended Tarleton State University and tried to join the Navy in 1996 but was rejected after a physical exam revealed pins in his arm from a rodeo injury.

Three years later, Kyle was working on a ranch in Colorado when a Navy recruiter called. He was trained as a sniper and served 10 years.

He never disclosed exactly how many enemy combatants he shot, but the Pentagon certified more than 150 of his kills during four combat tours of Iraq. Some news reports credited him with as many as 255. His confirmed kills exceeded the exploits of legendary Marine Carlos Hathcock, whom Kyle called "the best sniper in the world." Hathcock had 93 confirmed kills in Vietnam.

In all, he was awarded two Silver Stars, five Bronze Stars with Valor and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals.

"I don't care about the medals," Kyle told the Star-Telegram in a 2012 interview. "I didn't do it for the money or the awards. I did it because I felt like it was something that needed to be done and it was honorable. I loved the guys."

A member of SEAL Team 3, Kyle picked off his targets from rooftops or windows of abandoned buildings during the 2003 war against Iraq, which toppled the Saddam Hussein regime. Primarily serving as a sniper and wounded twice, he provided "overwatch" protection for Marines and other U.S. troops and earned a reputation for his proficiency.

Most shots ranged from 200 to 1,200 yards. His longest, most remarkable kill -- from 1.2 miles away -- took out an insurgent aiming a rocket launcher at an approaching Army convoy.

During the second battle of Fallujah, Kyle said he killed about 40 insurgents. He shot several of them through an apartment window while lying atop an overturned baby crib.

From a second-story perch in Ramadi, Kyle spotted two men approaching on a motor scooter. As it slowed down, the rider in back removed a backpack and dropped it into a pothole, setting an improvised explosive device. As the scooter sped up, Kyle fired once from about 200 yards, taking aim at "cen

Looks like he was trying to help a brother soldier deal with PTSD. :(/>

:rocking-chair:/>

Is this the same SEAL who claimed in his book that he punched Jesse Ventura in a San Diego SEAL bar then ran away like a sissy?

Yes it is Dawg . But it wasnt just a claim it happened and he didnt run away he walked away as jessie could not get up. He was due in court in just a few months cause ventura was sueing him for it. No conspirsy here guys. He was helping out a fellow marine wou was sick but obviously he didnt know how sick. Till the dude shot him in the back. Great American Great warrior

does not sit right with me....chris was very well aware of his surroundings....accidents happen yes....but just does not sit right with me.

JUST MY OPINION

Wasnt a accident the man meant to kill him Snow.

Chris thought he could help him and it cost him his life.

• Upvote 2

But it wasnt just a claim it happened and he didnt run away he walked away as jessie could not get up. He was due in court in just a few months cause ventura was sueing him for it.

Why didn't the other SEALs there back his story instead of Ventura’s?

Yes it is Dawg . But it wasnt just a claim it happened and he didnt run away he walked away as jessie could not get up. He was due in court in just a few months cause ventura was sueing him for it. No conspirsy here guys. He was helping out a fellow marine wou was sick but obviously he didnt know how sick. Till the dude shot him in the back. Great American Great warrior

Wasnt a accident the man meant to kill him Snow.

Chris thought he could help him and it cost him his life.

I agree that this is no conspiracy. It is a tragic situation perpetrated by a very disturbed veteran who obviously needed psychiatric help badly. The only part I can't get my head around is why Chris thought that taking him to a shooting range would help his PTSD. To me that is the equivalent of holding an AA meeting in a bar during happy hour. He was a very smart man who made a poor decision and unfortunately, it cost him his life.

The other victims of this are his daughters and wife who need our prayers and love.

• Upvote 2

The only part I can't get my head around is why Chris thought that taking him to a shooting range would help his PTSD. To me that is the equivalent of holding an AA meeting in a bar during happy hour.

Brilliant.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I agree that this is no conspiracy. It is a tragic situation perpetrated by a very disturbed veteran who obviously needed psychiatric help badly. The only part I can't get my head around is why Chris thought that taking him to a shooting range would help his PTSD. To me that is the equivalent of holding an AA meeting in a bar during happy hour. He was a very smart man who made a poor decision and unfortunately, it cost him his life.

The other victims of this are his daughters and wife who need our prayers and love.

Yeah I agree 100%.

Bad choice

Should a took him putt putt golfing and called it a day.

I haven't read anything about this yet. But I do remember Cris saying when he appeared on the show Stars with Stripes the several different country's had bounty's out on him because he was such a high value sniper.

RIP Chis and Prayers to the family.

Stars-Earn-Stripes-Operatives-H.jpg

WoW!!!!! look at all those Scar`s My mouth is drooling