Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Idle No More: Native movement sweeps Canada and U.S.

umbertino

There were more of us killed off then the Jewish holocaust but it is never spoken of.

End Quote

You are completely right of course... Very few People ( including myself) think of it, though...

Today in Italy ( maybe in the whole of Europe) was Memory Day for the Jewish Holocaust and it's certainly a good thing that People remember and tell/teach the younger folks about it so that the Past won't repeat ( hopefully) itself......So in almost all TV channels tonight there were movies about the Holocaust and also reports, testimonies, interviews with camp survivors... It's a great thing they show that.....Obviously.

But same thing should be done for American Indians and for other Ethnic groups who got slaughtered, chained, made slaves and mercilessly eliminated for whatever ( unjustifiable always) reason. JMHO.

Edited by umbertino

Very nice Maggie but you cannot change the minds or attitudes of people like the 2 posters above. The Nations were swept under the carpet long ago. They are exactly what this gov has made them. They are expected to live live off the GOVT Teat because that's all they have ever known. Their Gods their culture even there language was stripped from them. As a people they were merely ghosts in the shadows. They have came a long way in reclaiming a little of what was once theirs. Re-learning the legends and the language has helped them somewhat restore a piece of them that has been missing. There were more of us killed off then the Jewish holocaust but it is never spoken of. I want nothing from this GOVT other then to be left alone by it. The nations are healing slowly. Its one step forward and three back and its because of the mind set of the likes of ones above who think that we somehow would want their respect. We need to be left alone . WE will deal with our alcoholics , drug addicts and the lazy who refuse to work and the coruption within our leaders. Like they deal with theirs.

Shut up Dog..................!!!

Tell me where in this post I bashed you or the natives, What attitude are you refering to ??

Shut me up washita

Maybe you should change your own attitude !!!! I haven't done and said anything wrong on this post towards any native but bring an article which by the way I laught at, but you as usual get it all screwed up..........What, you don't like it when the truth about some of them leaders are put on the front row ??? Shame on you !!!!

I'm out of here

Have a great day

SnooZ

Cherokee Nation

"They took the whole Cherokee Nation

Put us on this reservation

Took away our ways of life

The tomahawk and the bow and knife

Took away our native tongue

And taught their English to our young

And all the beads we made by hand

Are nowadays made in Japan

Cherokee people, Cherokee tribe

So proud to live, so proud to die

They took the whole Indian Nation

Locked us on this reservation

Though I wear a shirt and tie

I'm still part red man deep inside

Cherokee people, Cherokee tribe

So proud to live, so proud to die

But maybe someday when they've learned

Cherokee Nation will return

Will return...

Will return...

Will return...

Will return."

John D. Loudermilk

• Upvote 1

This is not just an Indian issue. The movement is reaching out to all justice-minded citizens to participate in INM, because the issues that are being fought for affect all the people of this earth.

I know I won't get a chance to answer at too great of length tonight... but thanks for posting umbertino! I'm just one guy, raised up in what I thought was a great nation. I've learned a lot over the years... but particularly the last couple of years. I've been introduced to an Native Inuit who hales from California these days... he's an artist, teacher, author, even an ancient Hebrew scholar... but he's native through and through! One thing stands out most of all... his passion for the love of the Creator. And yes, I've learned through him much of the abuses that have occurred to the native culture throughout the world. This is a world wide issue I'm afraid... and the roots of it run deep. According to my friend Suuqiina (author of "Warfare by Honor") native people all over the world have suffered abuses not just from the governments of their land, but sadly from many Christians Organizations as well. In fact, though a strong believer himself, Suuqiina doesn't like to call himself a christian.. he calls himself t a "netzerim" (that's my rough spelling.. I'm no Hebrew scholar!)...meaning "little branch"... He is the vine... and we are "the little branches". That sounds good to me.

I want to say just this tonight if I may... and I know it's a very sensitive issue that runs very deep with plenty of old wounds. But let me relate a story I've read first hand. It's about the trail of tears. When I lived in N.C. I found out that the Moravian Brethren worked closely with the Cherokee. They reached out any way they could... no strings attached as far as I could see. When Andrew Jackson saw that the land the Cherokee was good for gold he had a problem... and he solved it by force marching hundreds of innocent people ...men and woman... both young and old.. of the land so he could gain access to the gold... and everyone knows many died along the way. What isn't well known however is that some of the Moravian's accompanied their brothers and sisters in Christ on the journey, and some of them died along side their friends the Cherokee as well. I know that's going to rankle some folks... but at one time I had that information sent to me by the reservation in Oklahoma. What that fact does is this... it changes the equation.... from "those evil white men" who mistreated us... to "those evil men" who mistreated us. It takes the race out of it. There are evil men everywhere in the world... and there is racism everywhere too. sad.gif

In a nutshell... the only things that I know that can overcome racism is realizing we are all children of the Creator... and only love will overcome our differences. Forgiveness is also a prerequisite if we want to be free from hate and bitterness. Not easy I know. But having adoptive kids who are black.. I guess you could say I know a little about racism folks... I get it from both sides... from whites and blacks. Like I started out saying... I am only one guy... but from my tiny corner of the world I want to say this... No... America isn't blameless... I'm not blameless.. I've been ignorant and quiet too long... but if you will... if you can... please accept this one man's sincere apology. I don't like to see anyone mistreated or wronged if I can help it. I could go on and on ya'll... but I'll end with a question... would ya'll be willing to be willing to forgive an old fart like me???? ... because I was ignorant and probably arrogant for years... but hopefully not any more. And if you find it in your heart to forgive one... maybe you could forgive another and another... until you are not imo fettered by those who have abused you, and you can indeed be truly free.

That's my view ya'll... and I'm open to being corrected. But I've been on that end of holding grudges... and found I'm the only one that ends up hurting. In fact usually the one's I'm pissed off at seem to sleep just fine... they probably don't even have much of a conscience anymore! dry.gif But that's not my worry... I still want to love folks, to keep my heart tender... and being mad ain't going to let me accomplish that. So... I hope you'll take one guys genuine apology and find it in your heart to choose forgiveness. Where we go from here??? ... we will just have to take that one day at a time ya'll... and let love prevail. Always yours- Rod wink.gif

[/size]

I know I won't get a chance to answer at too great of length tonight... but thanks for posting umbertino! I'm just one guy, raised up in what I thought was a great nation. I've learned a lot over the years... but particularly the last couple of years. I've been introduced to an Native Inuit who hales from California these days... he's an artist, teacher, author, even an ancient Hebrew scholar... but he's native through and through! One thing stands out most of all... his passion for the love of the Creator. And yes, I've learned through him much of the abuses that have occurred to the native culture throughout the world. This is a world wide issue I'm afraid... and the roots of it run deep. According to my friend Suuqiina (author of "Warfare by Honor") native people all over the world have suffered abuses not just from the governments of their land, but sadly from many Christians Organizations as well. In fact, though a strong believer himself, Suuqiina doesn't like to call himself a christian.. he calls himself t a "netzerim" (that's my rough spelling.. I'm no Hebrew scholar!)...meaning "little branch"... He is the vine... and we are "the little branches". That sounds good to me.

I want to say just this tonight if I may... and I know it's a very sensitive issue that runs very deep with plenty of old wounds. But let me relate a story I've read first hand. It's about the trail of tears. When I lived in N.C. I found out that the Moravian Brethren worked closely with the Cherokee. They reached out any way they could... no strings attached as far as I could see. When Andrew Jackson saw that the land the Cherokee was good for gold he had a problem... and he solved it by force marching hundreds of innocent people ...men and woman... both young and old.. of the land so he could gain access to the gold... and everyone knows many died along the way. What isn't well known however is that some of the Moravian's accompanied their brothers and sisters in Christ on the journey, and some of them died along side their friends the Cherokee as well. I know that's going to rankle some folks... but at one time I had that information sent to me by the reservation in Oklahoma. What that fact does is this... it changes the equation.... from "those evil white men" who mistreated us... to "those evil men" who mistreated us. It takes the race out of it. There are evil men everywhere in the world... and there is racism everywhere too. sad.gif

In a nutshell... the only things that I know that can overcome racism is realizing we are all children of the Creator... and only love will overcome our differences. Forgiveness is also a prerequisite if we want to be free from hate and bitterness. Not easy I know. But having adoptive kids who are black.. I guess you could say I know a little about racism folks... I get it from both sides... from whites and blacks. Like I started out saying... I am only one guy... but from my tiny corner of the world I want to say this... No... America isn't blameless... I'm not blameless.. I've been ignorant and quiet too long... but if you will... if you can... please accept this one man's sincere apology. I don't like to see anyone mistreated or wronged if I can help it. I could go on and on ya'll... but I'll end with a question... would ya'll be willing to be willing to forgive an old fart like me???? ... because I was ignorant and probably arrogant for years... but hopefully not any more. And if you find it in your heart to forgive one... maybe you could forgive another and another... until you are not imo fettered by those who have abused you, and you can indeed be truly free.

That's my view ya'll... and I'm open to being corrected. But I've been on that end of holding grudges... and found I'm the only one that ends up hurting. In fact usually the one's I'm pissed off at seem to sleep just fine... they probably don't even have much of a conscience anymore! dry.gif But that's not my worry... I still want to love folks, to keep my heart tender... and being mad ain't going to let me accomplish that. So... I hope you'll take one guys genuine apology and find it in your heart to choose forgiveness. Where we go from here??? ... we will just have to take that one day at a time ya'll... and let love prevail. Always yours- Rod wink.gif

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Very nice Maggie but you cannot change the minds or attitudes of people like the 2 posters above. The Nations were swept under the carpet long ago. They are exactly what this gov has made them. They are expected to live live off the GOVT Teat because that's all they have ever known. Their Gods their culture even there language was stripped from them. As a people they were merely ghosts in the shadows. They have came a long way in reclaiming a little of what was once theirs. Re-learning the legends and the language has helped them somewhat restore a piece of them that has been missing. There were more of us killed off then the Jewish holocaust but it is never spoken of. I want nothing from this GOVT other then to be left alone by it. The nations are healing slowly. Its one step forward and three back and its because of the mind set of the likes of ones above who think that we somehow would want their respect. We need to be left alone . WE will deal with our alcoholics , drug addicts and the lazy who refuse to work and the coruption within our leaders. Like they deal with theirs.

Dog, when I learned I had Indian in me as a child I was delighted... then I was taught by society that I didn't have enough to "count"...

That made me sad because I was actually pretty proud of it. I also got the drift that maybe Native Americans wouldn't consider me a part of them either.

As I got older I did learn as much as I could about the beliefs and culture and have embraced it ever since. Still learning...

One thing I can tell you that I have always held inside since I was a teenager is that "I want nothing from this GOVT other then to be left alone by it".

Strange huh? I agree the Indians will take care of their challenges "from within" thats the only way... and I believe they have a much better way to do that.

I absolutely understand the meaning of your words.....Think of having native blood inside no matter how far it is, Their whole culture is something I love also !! Thanks you Maggie smile.gif

SnooZ

I do Snooz, I do treasure any small part of me that is Indian. I believe that we can all grow from thier beliefs. Indian or not.

I believe you about your love for the culture. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

There were more of us killed off then the Jewish holocaust but it is never spoken of.

End Quote

You are completely right of course... Very few People ( including myself) think of it, though...

But same thing should be done for American Indians and for other Ethnic groups who got slaughtered, chained, made slaves and mercilessly eliminated for whatever ( unjustifiable always) reason. JMHO.

Thank You Umbertino and You Know that I passionately Agree with that too.

[/size]

Where we go from here??? ... we will just have to take that one day at a time ya'll... and let love prevail. Always yours- Rod wink.gif

Thank You Rod.

I would say 'Let love prevail" and let them embrace THEIR BELIEFS again... without any judgement from others.

It begins with oneself, in order for others to change. So let it begin with me.

Thanks Rod, Umb, Maggie and Dog for sharing your stories with us. Thanks for showing your compassion. smile.gif

Thank You Patty, Sincerely. smile.gif

• Upvote 1

by: Albert Bender

January 25 2013

"The INM movement, started by four Indigenous women in November last year and now sweeping the Western Hemisphere at warp speed, was in response to the Canadian government's Omnibus Bill C-45 that would further strip reservations of lands and also environmental protections. This infamous legislation was passed on December 14, after Assembly of First Nations (AFN) representatives were even barred from government meetings on the bill".

http://www.peopleswo...canada-and-u-s/

The native population was born here, and have not earned our respect. I wish they would, as there is a lot of natives who work darn hard and deserve global respect for there contribution and not a token nod.

pp

PP I would have liked to have responded yesterday... it's just some days I have less patience than others.

Did you even read the original article??? Obmnibus Bill C-45... That is the issue here!!!

It is also a breaking point for all that want human rights to progress across the globe. We are not there yet but this movement will help.

I intend to get involved in this "Idle No More" movement and help in any way I can. It's about time!!!

Do you REALLY advocate taking even more rights from the Indians, that you duly noted were born there?

It would seem so since you jump right into your justification of that... by putting them in a unfavorable light as lazy, undeserving and "takers".

I have "No Comment" on your rediculous statement about how they "have not earned our (your) respect".

Although you did contradict yourself when you said many work hard and deserve respect... so which is it???

Do they only get your respect when they lay down and let the Government take even more of their rights from them?

Do they only get your respect when they "accept" the stereo types and oppression that they still experience to this day?

NO DEAL Poker Player

End Quote

Sorry... I meant to say that most People ( including myself) don't think of it, though. Which is unfortunate.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1