Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Parents Must Notify Schools of Gun Ownership

krome2ez

January 24, 2013 by Tim Brown

MO Lawmakers:

Parents Must Notify Schools

Of Gun Ownership In 30 Days

Nasheed-and-Chappelle-Nadal-220x220.jpg

Here we go. Missouri State lawmakers see dollar signs in their eyes and they are using the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut to push for legislation that would require parents in the state to notify the schools their children that they own a firearm within 30 days or face a fine.

This doesn’t just apply to public schools either. According to SB 124, which is put forth by two female Democrat State Senators Jamilah Nasheed (D-St. Louis) and Maria Chappelle-Nadal (D-University City), it would apply to all charter and private education institutions. Interestingly enough, Nasheed is a Muslim.

The legislation can be summarized by stating that if a person is the parent or guardian of a child under the age of 18, he or she knows the child possesses a firearm in violation of the law, and he or she fails to stop the possession or report it to law enforcement. This would be considered a Class A misdemeanor. However, if death or injury result from the firearm possession by a minor it will be considered a Class D felony.

Anytime a child is enrolled in a school, the parent or guardian must send the school a notification that they own a firearm to the school their child attends within 30 days or face a $100 fine. If the gun is used in a crime by the child at school and the parent or guardian failed to notify the school about the firearm and it results in injury or death, the parent will face a $1000 fine and possibly other penalties.

I wholly believe in the 2nd Amendment, that everyone should have the right to bear arms, but the 2nd Amendment does not say that a 12-year-old can shoot a 12-year-old — there is no protection for that,” Chappelle-Nadal said. “What we are trying to do here is address what is happening in our urban cities.”

State Senator Brian Nieves (R-Washington) calls the bill alarming stating, “I think it goes squarely against what most Missourians would believe is the right thing to do. I can tell you (that) this bill will not become law – I think that’s something we need to be very clear about and make sure that Missourians know that this bill simply will not become law.”

Additionally, the legislation lays out what is considered “proper storage.” The bill reads:

(1) The firearm is stored in a securely locked container or in a location that a reasonable person would believe to be secure;

(2) The firearm is equipped with a cable lock, trigger lock, or other safety device that cannot be readily removed from the firearm;

or

(3) The firearm is on the person’s body or in such proximity to the person’s body that he or she could retrieve it as easily and quickly

as if carried on his or her body.

While I am in agreement that parents need to be responsible for proper storage and teaching their children about firearms, the fact that they must notify school systems about firearms is not a good idea. It is an invasion of privacy and it is none of the school’s business what people have in their homes. That is part of the Fourth Amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

While technically the legislation would not be a search or seizure, it is mandating that you tell them you own a firearm.

Chappelle-Nadal indicated that her legislation will more than likely not pass the State Senate. Additionally she indicated that any NRA-backed gun legislation would be targeted for filibuster.

Also, requiring cable locks, trigger locks and other safety devices does render the firearm virtually useless when needed. Again, this is an attempt by government to impose things they should not be imposing. In short, it’s a bad law.

Read more: http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/01/mo-lawmakers-parents-must-notify-schools-of-gun-ownership-in-30-days/#ixzz2IzF7wpVW

And of course, once your a "Felon"

ownership of any weapon is against the law.

Edited by krome2ez

It's another way of gathering data of those who own guns. The public schools system has no business gathering information for the government, and it is an arm of government.

Private schools and home schooling is the way to go.

Do you need to notify the schools if you are a criminal and the gun is not registered. Or just the law abiding citizens. So, once you tell them you have the gun, what is that going to help, or is there a series of steps they are going to take once you declare you have one.

Do you need to notify the schools if you are a criminal and the gun is not registered. Or just the law abiding citizens. So, once you tell them you have the gun, what is that going to help, or is there a series of steps they are going to take once you declare you have one.

For those who are still saying , " It won't happen cause I have my head in the sand syndrome." Well guess again, it has begun. angry.gifTwoCents.gif

Nothing against what you're saying personally sir :-)...but nothing, short of murder, that goes on in my house or on my property is anybody's d##n business unless I just want to tell.

***///***///

Dingbats. <_<

If legal weapons are registered, there's their file on record right there.

(even though it's STILL not the schools' business.)

What are they going to do...? ask the little children if Daddy has a gun?

And if Johnny or Little Mary say "yes", what are they going to do?...

Go to the child's home and arrest the parent or guardian for not telling

them about it?...

Then put the kids in foster care because the folks are in jail?

They'd be so busy doing searches and arresting people and dealing

with local law enforcement over it, not to mention

dealing with the Child Protective Service --- they'd have no time to teach!

They cannot possibly burden all the agencies which would have to be involved

with this sort of thing.

(wonder if the ACLU would come out of the dark to defend the 2nd Amendement

rights of Johnny & Little Mary's folks...? <_< ) laughable.

These two uneducated dingbats didn't think this thing through, did they...?

Perhaps their teachers were out hunting guns when they should've been in

the classroom teaching these two dingbats a little LOGIC. <_<

Misery Missouri is the most heavily populated muslim state, isn't it?

What if they passed a law that Johnny and Little Mary should rat out the

crazy uncle who makes bomb vests in the basement instead?

And the authorities could go in and search THEIR houses? And take

their kids away....

If they are going to assume that everyone who owns a gun is THAT dangerous,

stands to reason they could say the same thing about all muslims, right? <_<

It's profiling...... and as minorities they should've thought about THAT.

Obviously 2 more members of the Pelosi Coven. <_<

These two uneducated dingbats didn't think this thing through, did they...?

Knee-jerk reaction by two well-meaning but ignorant MO State Senators. I think that the article was correct in saying that they saw a way to make money. Education at its finest.

• Upvote 2