Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Windchills around 50 below zero

DiveDeepSix

Yeah but when the frigid weather breaks the ice fishing should be really good. Northern pike !! Ya baby !

I lived in LeMars, Iowa for a little over 5 years. Before that, Lincoln, NE for several years. I’m from Texas originally. Never got use to the sharp and bitter cold winters. But I thought I would pass this on to everyone.

There is a story that an avid fisherman who attended Texas A&M had always heard about the good ice fishing in Minnesota and wanted to try his luck. So between semesters he flew to Minnesota with all his gear hopping to catch “the big one” so he could brag to his friends.

Well, his first day on the frozen lake, he stood on the bank and cast out over the ice. Clink, clink went the lure on the ice and the tinkling of the rig as he pulled it in. Every few minutes he would change areas on the bank moving from position to position. He caught nothing.

The next day he started in the area of the lake and continued to move every hour to a different spot. Every time casting out as far as he could and hearing the clink, clink, clink of the lure on the ice.

All morning he could hear the whine and roar of a snow mobile, but this time it was coming right at him. The guy on the snow mobile skidded up to his location and stopped with a flare of snow shooting out in his direction.

The guy turned the engine to an idle and called out, “Hey buddy, what are you doing?”

The A&M student yelled back, “I’m ice fishing. Heard about this and thought I would try my luck.”

The guy of yelled back, “Where are you from? That accent sound familiar?”

“Texas A&M. Why?”

“Really? I’m from University of Texas!! We’re neighbors!! Have you caught anything?”

“Not doing too well. Haven’t caught a thing. What are you doing here?”

“I’m fishing as well. Why don’t you hop on behind me and we’ll troll for awhile.”

Moral. Most people from down South don’t know how to deal with the cold weather or what to do when the temp goes below zero. Personally, I’ll take Tennessee. I love the snow, but I don’t want to live in it.

• Upvote 2

I'd rather live in the north then the south. Reason being too many and too big of bugs. I had to stay in a motel in Jackson, Miss. one time, and when I went to get a soda out of the machine I saw 2 " roaches, or something that looked like roaches. This place wasn't a dump, but it wasn't the Ritz either. People talk about how mosquitoes in the north are big enough to carry a small child, well in Morgan City, La they don't need size, cause they have numbers. Up north can hear them comin in for a landing. Down south if you hear'em you already been bit. Just one of the reasons I like the north.

O.K. fastarnie... let me put this in perspective for you... a 2" cockroach won't eat you (btw.. they are "Bigger" in Texas )... but if you go to Alaska... there are plenty of things that could eat you... the term "mauled by a Grizzly Bear" comes to mind!!! unsure.gif

I had a dear friend was finally able to take his life long dream trip to go RVing in Alaska. He had two very close calls. One.. when a Grizzly and it's cub came up stream catching their lunch while the fisherman where catching their's. This happens all the time apparently.. usually the fisherman just cast around the bear and the bear ignores the fisherman. This time however one of the fisherman brought his little yapper dog with him... and the dog wouldn't stop barking at the bear. No problem so far... the bear ignored the dog. The fisherman however got nervous... and yelled at the dog to stop barking... the bear motherly instincts kicked in however and it did not ignore the fisherman's yelling... he rushed the fisherman and ripped his face off. ohmy.gif True story. I've never seen a cockroach rip anybody's face off... don't think I ever will. Just saying!!!

I've learned to enjoy the beauty in every place I've ever been... I will say this though however...some places ... be it for whatever reason... I can't wait to leave!!! rolleyes.gif

“I’m fishing as well. Why don’t you hop on behind me and we’ll troll for awhile.”

Moral. Most people from down South don’t know how to deal with the cold weather or what to do when the temp goes below zero. Personally, I’ll take Tennessee. I love the snow, but I don’t want to live in it.

laugh.gif Good one Nelg!!! wink.gif Kinda like the two southerns who wanted to try their hand at ice fishing... it took em most of the day however to cut a whole through the ice... large enough to fit their bass boat in the water!!! emot-shakehead.gifrolleyes.gif

Yes it is beautiful in the summer, the county I'm in has more lakes then any other in the US, over 1,000. Love the water!! >

Hate to set the record straight.. being born in Minnesoooota, but moving to WI. to have my cold arss raised... Minnesooota's famed 10,000 lakes falls short of Wisconsin's 15,000 lakes... and every summer the Minnesooootan's invade the state to come fish em too!!! rolleyes.gif

I can't remember if it was last year or the year before but we broke 2 of our own records, with the most consecutive days below zero and the lowest actual temp I think it was around 42 below or so with out a wind chill, I don't mind winter but I hate icy roads and anything below zero. I'm in Otter Tail county about an hour east of Fargo, you must be somewhere in the general area because usually the cities doesn't get as cold as it does up here, but hey at least it's not International Falls ROFL poor suckers!! Stay warm my friend!! >

Nope I stand corrected, it must have been for our area or something else with cold because it was 60 below actual temp in 1996, so maybe there is something to global warming as it hasn't gone that low in almost 20 years!!

I've survived two times at -60 without wind chill in Northern WI. ... not bragging... just questioning my sanity!!! blink.gif

• Upvote 2

laugh.gif Good one Nelg!!! wink.gif Kinda like the two southerns who wanted to try their hand at ice fishing... it took em most of the day however to cut a whole through the ice... large enough to fit their bass boat in the water!!! emot-shakehead.gifrolleyes.gif

I've survived two times at -60 without wind chill in Northern WI. ... not bragging... just questioning my sanity!!! blink.gif

A friend of mine just north of LeMars, Iowa lived in a two story farmhouse. The snow and wind created a snowbank large enough to walk up to the roof. Since it was going to be there for awhile, he decided to give his boys (10 and 12) a lesson in survival.

They dug into the drift to make a snow cave with a small entrance, put hay on the floor of the cave, put down their sleeping bags, and spent three nights in the snow cave. They used two candles and a Bunsen burner (rolled cardboard soaked with oil in a tuna can) for heat. The kids love it and they learned a lesson in surviving the cold.

You can get creative in entertaining while teaching the kids.

• Upvote 2

...They dug into the drift to make a snow cave with a small entrance, put hay on the floor of the cave, put down their sleeping bags, and spent three nights in the snow cave. They used two candles and a Bunsen burner (rolled cardboard soaked with oil in a tuna can) for heat.

I hope he also taught then how to ventilate the cave. There's always reports of kids asphyxiating because the heater used up all the oxygen.

Edited by magawatt
  • Upvote 1

A friend of mine just north of LeMars, Iowa lived in a two story farmhouse. The snow and wind created a snowbank large enough to walk up to the roof. Since it was going to be there for awhile, he decided to give his boys (10 and 12) a lesson in survival.

They dug into the drift to make a snow cave with a small entrance, put hay on the floor of the cave, put down their sleeping bags, and spent three nights in the snow cave. They used two candles and a Bunsen burner (rolled cardboard soaked with oil in a tuna can) for heat. The kids love it and they learned a lesson in surviving the cold.

You can get creative in entertaining while teaching the kids.

Made many snow forts growing up but never spent the night in them... that is one great "mountain man" dad....those kids should be proud of their dad... and the accomplishment they achieved!!! wink.gif

One regret is that even though I spent several years in the Mpls/St. Paul area, I never made it to any of the Winter Carnival events. The Vulcans looked fun on the news tearing around in an old firetruck. I guess the sexual harassment suits cooled that down these days.

• Upvote 1

Yes it is beautiful in the summer, the county I'm in has more lakes then any other in the US, over 1,000. Love the water!! :D/>/>/>

You must be a fellow Minnesotan it was -13 this morning when I woke up, I'm not sure what it was during the night. I think tonight is supposed to be the worst and tomorrow the high won't break zero, kind of looks that way for the rest of the week. I can't remember if it was last year or the year before but we broke 2 of our own records, with the most consecutive days below zero and the lowest actual temp I think it was around 42 below or so with out a wind chill, I don't mind winter but I hate icy roads and anything below zero. I'm in Otter Tail county about an hour east of Fargo, you must be somewhere in the general area because usually the cities doesn't get as cold as it does up here, but hey at least it's not International Falls ROFL poor suckers!! Stay warm my friend!! :D/>/>/>

Nope I stand corrected, it must have been for our area or something else with cold because it was 60 below actual temp in 1996, so maybe there is something to global warming as it hasn't gone that low in almost 20 years!! :D/>/> :D/>/> :P/>/>

Dive,

You guessed it right :) I am a fellow Minnesotah nice :) It was last January when it dipped below 30 and I knew you couldn't have any skin exposed. I know where Otter Tail is, I visited your area a few years ago, you are way up north where the head of Mississippi starts, almost :) I am assuming you like to go to Fargo for shopping. I am in the Twin Cities area.

I don;t think it matters whether it's global warming or not... when it's cold.. it's cold lol we have had mild winters so a few days dipping below zeros are just fine with me...:) it will be nicer towards the end of the week... at least we will see tens

• Upvote 1

O.K. fastarnie... let me put this in perspective for you... a 2" cockroach won't eat you (btw.. they are "Bigger" in Texas )... but if you go to Alaska... there are plenty of things that could eat you... the term "mauled by a Grizzly Bear" comes to mind!!! Posted Image

I had a dear friend was finally able to take his life long dream trip to go RVing in Alaska. He had two very close calls. One.. when a Grizzly and it's cub came up stream catching their lunch while the fisherman where catching their's. This happens all the time apparently.. usually the fisherman just cast around the bear and the bear ignores the fisherman. This time however one of the fisherman brought his little yapper dog with him... and the dog wouldn't stop barking at the bear. No problem so far... the bear ignored the dog. The fisherman however got nervous... and yelled at the dog to stop barking... the bear motherly instincts kicked in however and it did not ignore the fisherman's yelling... he rushed the fisherman and ripped his face off. Posted Image True story. I've never seen a cockroach rip anybody's face off... don't think I ever will. Just saying!!!

I hear ya, but I can sleep knowing the bears are there. I can't sleep knowing the roaches are there........lol

I been night fishing for steelhead plenty of times by myself, and let me tell ya, that can be scary. Every noise turns into a big cat, and when your fishing the Olympic National Park there is lots of different kinds of big cat. I still like the north. I can walk through those woods without nylons. From what I understand that's the best fight against chiggers.

• Upvote 1

O.K. fastarnie... let me put this in perspective for you... a 2" cockroach won't eat you (btw.. they are "Bigger" in Texas )... but if you go to Alaska... there are plenty of things that could eat you... the term "mauled by a Grizzly Bear" comes to mind!!! Posted Image

I had a dear friend was finally able to take his life long dream trip to go RVing in Alaska. He had two very close calls. One.. when a Grizzly and it's cub came up stream catching their lunch while the fisherman where catching their's. This happens all the time apparently.. usually the fisherman just cast around the bear and the bear ignores the fisherman. This time however one of the fisherman brought his little yapper dog with him... and the dog wouldn't stop barking at the bear. No problem so far... the bear ignored the dog. The fisherman however got nervous... and yelled at the dog to stop barking... the bear motherly instincts kicked in however and it did not ignore the fisherman's yelling... he rushed the fisherman and ripped his face off. Posted Image True story. I've never seen a cockroach rip anybody's face off... don't think I ever will. Just saying!!!

I hear ya, but I can sleep knowing the bears are there. I can't sleep knowing the roaches are there........lol

I been night fishing for steelhead plenty of times by myself, and let me tell ya, that can be scary. Every noise turns into a big cat, and when your fishing the Olympic National Park there is lots of different kinds of big cat. I still like the north. I can walk through those woods without nylons. From what I understand that's the best fight against chiggers.

Fastarnie,

I am okay shopping for my fish in the store :) the cats and the grizzlies are not too enticing for me :)

[/b]

I gotta say fastarnie... some of the best times I've ever had talkin to The Creator... was when I was out and about in His Creation... be that fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, or just sitting by a campfire looking up at the stars... now that's one fancy cathedral if you ask me!!! wink.gif

Not if there was any beer to be had magawatt!!! laugh.gif From what I hear about Mil Lac's there are some enterprising folks who will bring little "stores" out on the ice near all those "mini-villages" or clusters of ice shacks and sell whatever a fisherman needs so they don't have to leave the ice. I've even heard some of the ice houses are fully equipped with t.v., sonar for fish, and radar for when the wife comes to drag em back home!!! (gulp)unsure.gif Yup... that kinda trip is still on my bucket list.

15ice600.1.jpg

Yeah... now that's ruffing it boyz!!! rolleyes.gif

ss-110129-minnesota-ice_12.grid-7x2.JPG

Rod,

As nice as the fish house is...I am still worried about the heater which might cut through the ice... I don't want to be a polar bear :)

• Upvote 1

Fastarnie,

I am okay shopping for my fish in the store smile.gif the cats and the grizzlies are not too enticing for me smile.gif

Though I agree with you that the cats and grizzlies are not enticing... ya'll know I like to know a few things about supplying our own food source... to know "how to" but not need to is better then "to need to" and not know how to... if you know what I mean? Being a Minnesooootan Nadita... there is fishing in your DNA somewhere's I'll guarantee it!!! I say this knowing I may be accused of ranting about bad times ahead.... far from it. It's just a little information picked up from the old timers who had history with times going through rough patches... that's just part of life sometimes. Gotta keep that "how to" information alive in case one day there is a shortage of food on those store shelves. wink.gif

Rod,

As nice as the fish house is...I am still worried about the heater which might cut through the ice... I don't want to be a polar bear smile.gif

My wife grew up ice fishing where her folks didn't use ice houses... they waited for the ice to get thick enough and drove their vehicles on the ice. But with 8 rambunctious kids they would kick em out on the ice.. and to keep em warm they would pile some wood together and start a camp fire... right there on the ice. All those years they did that it never once "went through the ice"... I'm sure a physicist could explain it better... all I know is that heat rises!!! laugh.gif

Besides... wasn't it a Minnesoootan who invented "The Polar Plunge"??? ... it sounds like their style!!! rolleyes.gif

Fastarnie,

I am okay shopping for my fish in the store :)/> the cats and the grizzlies are not too enticing for me :)/>

Rod,

As nice as the fish house is...I am still worried about the heater which might cut through the ice... I don't want to be a polar bear :)/>

The heaters are within the house. Heat rises, so no fear of melting ice. It would take a long duration of high amounts of heat to really do any damage. The ice on some lakes is 18++ inches thick. Semis can basically drive on lakes without much to fear. I was out ice fishing last Sunday, it was my first time in a Ice Castle, which is a camper type fish house. This thing was 8 feet by 18 feet that had a TV, bunk beds, bathroom, 6 fishing holes, microwave, oven, and sink. Very roomy.

They're also easy to move - so if you believe your in a bad fishing spot you simply jack it up connect it to the hitch of a pick-up and move to a new spot. With droid / apple phones, apps can be on phones with the assistance of GPS to find out what depth your at. Vexlars can use sonar to help see if there is action below you. If your really curious and sort of want to take the fun out of it, you can even get underwater cameras and you can watch the fish take your bait.

• Upvote 1

The heaters are within the house. Heat rises, so no fear of melting ice. It would take a long duration of high amounts of heat to really do any damage. The ice on some lakes is 18++ inches thick. Semis can basically drive on lakes without much to fear. I was out ice fishing last Sunday, it was my first time in a Ice Castle, which is a camper type fish house. This thing was 8 feet by 18 feet that had a TV, bunk beds, bathroom, 6 fishing holes, microwave, oven, and sink. Very roomy.

They're also easy to move - so if you believe your in a bad fishing spot you simply jack it up connect it to the hitch of a pick-up and move to a new spot. With droid / apple phones, apps can be on phones with the assistance of GPS to find out what depth your at. Vexlars can use sonar to help see if there is action below you. If your really curious and sort of want to take the fun out of it, you can even get underwater cameras and you can watch the fish take your bait.

Well let's face it, ice fishing isn't the most exciting fishing experience. I think a Cribbage board comes with every cooler of Hamms. We used take a ukulele, seems every time we sang Lady of Spain we'd at least get a nibble. I think half the appeal is the beautiful, absurd isolation it provides.

• Upvote 1

Dive,

You guessed it right :)/>/> I am a fellow Minnesotah nice :)/>/> It was last January when it dipped below 30 and I knew you couldn't have any skin exposed. I know where Otter Tail is, I visited your area a few years ago, you are way up north where the head of Mississippi starts, almost :)/>/> I am assuming you like to go to Fargo for shopping. I am in the Twin Cities area.

I don;t think it matters whether it's global warming or not... when it's cold.. it's cold lol we have had mild winters so a few days dipping below zeros are just fine with me...:)/>/> it will be nicer towards the end of the week... at least we will see tens

Yep, you nailed it we are about an hour south of the headwaters and go to Fargo once in a while, usually Detroit Lakes or Fergus Falls though. It has been a decent winter again, and I really only mind it when it's below zero or coats the roads in ice, oh well it makes us appreciate summers more! LOL

There is no worries of the heater melting the ice, unless it's to thin to begin with. What does make a mess is when the melt starts and the water looks for any cracks or holes to run back down in, that will drop them in. My ice fishing days ended years ago, I used to like it we had a 8X16 fish house, but a friend of mine from Iowa borrowed it and never blocked it up after he drilled the holes, we got a bunch of snow and he went back to Iowa and left it that way. Needless to say when I went to check it the water had come up onto the floor from the snow weight and froze it in good. After 8 hours of chiseling and jacking standing in 8 inches of water and shooting a high powered rifle thru the floor to break up the ice under it we finally managed to get it loose and off the lake.......never again! LOL

O.K. fastarnie... let me put this in perspective for you... a 2" cockroach won't eat you (btw.. they are "Bigger" in Texas )... but if you go to Alaska... there are plenty of things that could eat you... the term "mauled by a Grizzly Bear" comes to mind!!! unsure.gif

I had a dear friend was finally able to take his life long dream trip to go RVing in Alaska. He had two very close calls. One.. when a Grizzly and it's cub came up stream catching their lunch while the fisherman where catching their's. This happens all the time apparently.. usually the fisherman just cast around the bear and the bear ignores the fisherman. This time however one of the fisherman brought his little yapper dog with him... and the dog wouldn't stop barking at the bear. No problem so far... the bear ignored the dog. The fisherman however got nervous... and yelled at the dog to stop barking... the bear motherly instincts kicked in however and it did not ignore the fisherman's yelling... he rushed the fisherman and ripped his face off. ohmy.gif True story. I've never seen a cockroach rip anybody's face off... don't think I ever will. Just saying!!!

I've learned to enjoy the beauty in every place I've ever been... I will say this though however...some places ... be it for whatever reason... I can't wait to leave!!! rolleyes.gif

LOL, I have some good friends in WI. Been fishing there several times beautiful state, aside from the Badgers! ROFL I know WI has more lakes then MN, but I was talking about our county, over a 1,000 lakes itself! I will say I was not impressed though with the walleye fishing in WI on the couple of lakes I fished, the locals and the guides all blame the decline on spearing and gill netting hammering the walleyes in the spring. I'm sure though it's like anywhere, depends on what lake as some are excellent and some suck just like around here. Thanks for the post buddy! 8) We used to have a cabin on Lake of the Woods on the Canadian side, and the limits dropped every year with a slot, from 6 to 4 to 2, now I here they want to drop it to one walleye per person, and 2 in possession. What's really irritating is when you see all the gill nets coming in with all the 3 pound plus walleyes and then see them sit on the docks and rot while the pelicans and gulls eat them. Yet they can't seem to figure out where the problem is and blame it on the sport fishermen. I throw back everything over 17 inches anyway, but it's certainly not the fishermen hurting the population. The resorts know it as well and it's killing their tourism businesses, but the government doesn't give a rip. Oh well, glad to be fishing back state side anyways!

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 1

I am okay shopping for my fish in the store :)/> the cats and the grizzlies are not too enticing for me :)/>

My fishing trips are adventures. I guess a trip to the store can be too....... :lol:/>

You are right... it all boils down to the company you are with ;)

My wife grew up ice fishing where her folks didn't use ice houses... they waited for the ice to get thick enough and drove their vehicles on the ice. But with 8 rambunctious kids they would kick em out on the ice.. and to keep em warm they would pile some wood together and start a camp fire... right there on the ice. All those years they did that it never once "went through the ice"... I'm sure a physicist could explain it better... all I know is that heat rises!!! laugh.gif

Besides... wasn't it a Minnesoootan who invented "The Polar Plunge"??? ... it sounds like their style!!! rolleyes.gif

Rod,

Yes, we invented polar plunge and I just watched lol... after the plunge, they all go into the hot tub... I love snow and love to see it from the window lol I can fish if I want to with some popcorn and corns lol I live on a small lake and it's spring fed so the water is clean... I could just sit on my beach with a net and throw some popcorns and bingo... I get fish for dinner. My boys fish and catch bass.. big enough for dinner and I love those sunfish,... I can eat twenty of them :)

Wow... speaking of technology :) there goes the primitive ice fishing :) I haven't gone ice fishing yet because it's too cold for me but with your camper type fish house... might be fun in the middle of the lake and ice fish... the ice on my lake can be 12 - 18 inches and they drive their truck on the lake... last week there was a man fishing in the middle of the lake and facing my bedroom window lol kinda crippy ... amongst all the places in the lake, right in front of my bedroom

• Upvote 2