Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Windchills around 50 below zero

DiveDeepSix

I thought this was interesting seeing how we made the news again up in tropical MN, the rest of the world dies at these temps and our schools run 2 hours late!! :lol:/> :lol:/>

Minnesota shivers as wind chill nears 50 below zero; New England braces for foot of snow

By John Newland, Staff Writer, NBC News

Icy winds and bitter cold lashed the Midwest as a powerful storm made its way eastward and left New England preparing for up to a foot of snow.

Pushed by northwesterly winds, Arctic air was bringing wind chills near to minus 50 in Minnesota and western Wisconsin. Highs were expected to remain below zero into Tuesday, according to forecasters.

In Detroit, about 40,000 customers were without power early Monday. Utility DTE Energy blamed high winds for knocking out power Sunday to 120,000 customers.

DTE said it was receiving assistance from crews based in neighboring Ohio and Wisconsin, as well as outlying parts of Michigan.

"We expect to have the vast majority of our customers restored by midnight Monday," DTE said in a statement.

In Illinois, temperatures dipped into the single digits, with wind chills well below zero, NBCChicago.com reported. NBC Chicago meteorologist Cheryl Scott said wind chills could hover around 15 below zero, which would be the city's coldest weather in two years.

The National Weather Service issued lake-effect-snow warnings from western Michigan to western New York, and a winter storm watch for Boston and the surrounding area.

In Boston, forecasters predicted 4 to 8 inches of snow, poor visibility and slippery travel Monday evening as well as a difficult commute Tuesday morning.

Some high spots in northeast Massachusetts, eastern New Hampshire and southwest Maine could approach 12 inches of snow, The Weather Channel reported.

A hazardous-weather outlook reached into New Hampshire and Connecticut. Gale warnings were issued for much of the New England coast.

A so-called Alberta Clipper could bring as much as three inches of snow to parts of Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey Monday afternoon and early evening.

However, Weather.com said there was "a small chance" that the Alberta Clipper could strengthen closer to the New Jersey coast, which would bring heavier snow to New York City, Long Island and New Jersey.

I thought it was funny the other day there was a girl from Alabama doing a radio interview, who was talking about how she had gotten stuck in a snowstorm down there in flip flops! "It was like a real blizzard!" Sorry sweetie afraid not. You don't know what snow is until your pushing it down the highway with your truck bumper and if that doesn't work we drag out the snowmobiles to get to work! Honestly I'm not sure why I live here!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 6

Being from ND...I actually miss the frigid temperatures of -40 with no wind now that I live in balmy Illinois :) Nothing like "burning" your fingers when you go to start your vehicle and the metal gets you!

Went to Sask last winter because my mom was sick, ended up getting my vehicle jump started every morning because I did not have a soft plug heater on it and it would not start in the -30 degrees!

Yup, gotta love the great north country :)

• Upvote 2

Being from ND...I actually miss the frigid temperatures of -40 with no wind now that I live in balmy Illinois :)/> Nothing like "burning" your fingers when you go to start your vehicle and the metal gets you!

Went to Sask last winter because my mom was sick, ended up getting my vehicle jump started every morning because I did not have a soft plug heater on it and it would not start in the -30 degrees!

Yup, gotta love the great north country :)/>

LOL, no doubt I know the burn and if something is going to break it does it at the least opportune time when it's well below zero not in mid July when you can actually enjoy being outside working on something! My car was being irritable this morning and I didn't think it would start, but it did, barely......fingers crossed for tomorrow!! :D Not a good day to put your tongue on anything metal, actually my hands were sweaty this morning and my car keys, which spent the night in the car stuck to them when I went to start it!! Oh well at least the high schoolers have their pants pulled up this time of year! :D

• Upvote 4

Yeah but when the frigid weather breaks the ice fishing should be really good. Northern pike !! Ya baby !

No doubt buddy, those and the walleyes, my favorite! We haven't gotten a lot of snow this year so the ice is excellent as well, it was booming and popping from the expansion the other night it sounded like a battlefield, great year for driving around on it. The last couple years we've gotten a ton of snow right after freeze up and all the weight kept flooding it, made a miserable mess all year long and dangerous ice. :twothumbs:

In Colorado where I used to live, it would get down to -20 and the batteries would freeze in your vehicle and would not start. We had a snowmobile, and a traxter. It looked kind of like a tank with the hood off. It was cool. Worked in the snow as well. Hair would freeze, with a short sleeve shirt on. If you could blow a bubble with gum, flicking it would make it shatter.

• Upvote 1

Dive, just a bit chilly for this Texan girl. Brrrrrr, but I don't doubt the beauty of your state is awesome. ;)/>/>

Yes it is beautiful in the summer, the county I'm in has more lakes then any other in the US, over 1,000. Love the water!! :D/>

Dive,

It's not that cold :)/>/> only -8 today. I was out and about even though I had to admit the wind bites lol

You must be a fellow Minnesotan it was -13 this morning when I woke up, I'm not sure what it was during the night. I think tonight is supposed to be the worst and tomorrow the high won't break zero, kind of looks that way for the rest of the week. I can't remember if it was last year or the year before but we broke 2 of our own records, with the most consecutive days below zero and the lowest actual temp I think it was around 42 below or so with out a wind chill, I don't mind winter but I hate icy roads and anything below zero. I'm in Otter Tail county about an hour east of Fargo, you must be somewhere in the general area because usually the cities doesn't get as cold as it does up here, but hey at least it's not International Falls ROFL poor suckers!! Stay warm my friend!! :D/>

Nope I stand corrected, it must have been for our area or something else with cold because it was 60 below actual temp in 1996, so maybe there is something to global warming as it hasn't gone that low in almost 20 years!! :D :D :P

Edited by DiveDeepSix

Minus -35 C (-31 F) here tonight, with wind shill -45 !!! thats what I call north pole.... :lol: :lol: But hey, Hoserdom has its advantages. We live in a climate that makes us impervious to pain......In a mount and a half, maple trees will be pouring sap like crazy and on the first glance of a 10 degres over zero, we will be wearing T-Shirts, so does our sidewalk walking beauties :lol::lol::D :D But when the time comes to store away our snowmobiles and replace them for motorcycles we are in heaven !!! Cheers ;)

SnooZ

• Upvote 1

75 degrees down here in Redondo Beach (Los Angeles). :D/>

beach.jpg

I'll send some chicks up there to core your holes. Lol.

bikinicefishing-1.jpg

ROFL How did you get that picture of my harem? I usually drill out my own ice holes though, I wouldn't want them breaking any nails!! B):lol: :lol: Is it cold in here? :P

Below zero, wind chills, blowing cold wind...

i can't wait til spring...

30 degrees would feel like a heat wave and i could wear shorts haha

No doubt time to drag the BBQ grill back out and get ready to plant the garden!! :lol:

Minus -35 C (-31 F) here tonight, with wind shill -45 !!! thats what I call north pole.... :lol:/>/>/>/> :lol:/>/>/>/> But hey, Hoserdom has its advantages. We live in a climate that makes us impervious to pain......In a mount and a half, maple trees will be pouring sap like crazy and on the first glance of a 10 degres over zero, we will be wearing T-Shirts, so does our sidewalk walking beauties But when the time comes to store away our snowmobiles and replace them for motorcycles we are in heaven !!! Cheers ;)/>/>/>/>

SnooZ

Hey but atleast you have Santa!! I think it is at about 60 below that rubber boots will shatter! I'm not sure what the temp is to throw hot water in the air and it will freeze before it hits the ground, but I've been waiting to try it, I don't think it was that cold either, around 30 to 40 below I think!

Sorry gang, I'm out of pluses for the day, love the posts though, makes me realize I'm not alone here in the ice box!!

• Upvote 1

Hey Dive!

I've lots of family who live up there with ya'll and we talk several times a week. My brother can't wait to tell me how many minus it is, how deep is his snow, and how much shoveling/moving he had to do to go to work..... and then ask what the temp is here... I marvel every time he tells me what you guys are dealing with. I don't know how ya'll do it.... I think I was really allergic to that kind of snow and cold, but do miss my peeps for sure. So to satisfy both my longing to be back with family and buds while taking care of a serious live-in snow allergy.... I'll spend spring and summer up there and winter with no snow down here... My hats off to you guys tip_hat.gif

Snooz, reminds me of my niece and nephew.... they were here Thanksgiving and with the ocean in my front yard, they decided they wanted to play in the water. Here they are in swim attire, boogie boarding, jumping up and down in water, swimming, trying to stay up on surf boards, and splashing about. And there I am in a full down coat, micro fleece pullover, a fur bomber hat with fur ears down, and fleece gloves, taking pictures.... Tis true, the snow people are a hardy band of brothers biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Upvote 2

I lived in MN til my late 20's. I remember that a gentleman would get up in the middle of the night to start his dates car so it would start in the morning.

Sounds like a true gentleman!! Gotta love the auto starts nowadays!

Hey Dive!

I've lots of family who live up there with ya'll and we talk several times a week. My brother can't wait to tell me how many minus it is, how deep is his snow, and how much shoveling/moving he had to do to go to work..... and then ask what the temp is here... I marvel every time he tells me what you guys are dealing with. I don't know how ya'll do it.... I think I was really allergic to that kind of snow and cold, but do miss my peeps for sure. So to satisfy both my longing to be back with family and buds while taking care of a serious live-in snow allergy.... I'll spend spring and summer up there and winter with no snow down here... My hats off to you guys tip_hat.gif

Snooz, reminds me of my niece and nephew.... they were here Thanksgiving and with the ocean in my front yard, they decided they wanted to play in the water. Here they are in swim attire, boogie boarding, jumping up and down in water, swimming, trying to stay up on surf boards, and splashing about. And there I am in a full down coat, micro fleece pullover, a fur bomber hat with fur ears down, and fleece gloves, taking pictures.... Tis true, the snow people are a hardy band of brothers biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

LOL, I hear ya, my folks winter in Tucson, and are sure to call me to tell me what the temp is there, I always respond with well atleast it's a dry cold here!! :lol:/> :lol:/> Was down there golfing last winter and I think it got to like 55 or so and I thought these poor southerners were going to die all bundled up on the golf course! :D/>

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 1

DD6, must say, I don't miss those cold winter days... :rolleyes: lived in Columbia Heights for several years and guess I am pretty spoiled now with Cali weather...not sure I would even survive the winter up north...been gone too long...but sure have some great memories of the fun times...

• Upvote 1

Wind Chills tomorrow, here, are gonna be in the teens..........we're all gonna dieohmy.gif

I know you guys up North are cold BRRRRRRR.....will be thinkin' bout yatongue.gif

I got ya littlefeet !! :)/> Lucky you, why don't you have some of that popcorn's sutton moonshine, I'm sure you won't feel the cold :lol:/> :lol:/> after that....Boy, how I would love to take a zip of that stuff !! :lol:/> :lol:/> :lol:/> I"m sure I would not feel it too !! :lol:

TNX

SnooZ

Edited by snooz
  • Upvote 1

Yeah but when the frigid weather breaks the ice fishing should be really good. Northern pike !! Ya baby !

Dog.. that's honestly the only thing up miss about "Up Nurth"!!! rolleyes.gif Good ol' Pike filet's with a good batter on em!! Yum, yum!!! biggrin.gif Now if I tried that though I would have to have some cozy warm ice house.. ain't braving those temps without one anymore... then when it's over... I out of there!!! emot-LMAO.gif

I really do love the warmer winters... and not having to work outside in 3 feet of snow with my eyelids freezing shut... no thanks!! Ya'll aught to try it somewhere warmer sometime... there's way more to see than the frozen tundra boyz!!! laugh.gif

As far as the company around the old ice house... used to only be guys like these in WI. ...

tumblr_lcx8ymf6DY1qequbjo1_500.png

Ya gotta watch them thar fisherman... anything can be a lethal weapon when frozen!!! rolleyes.gif

• Upvote 1

Let's get somethin straight. The cold may stop my government, but it will never stop me. I've been so many places, and have always worn shorts in the winter time. I'll name a few, Of course Washington where I'm from, Kalispell,Mt, Cheyenne Wy, North Slope Alaska, Waukegan, Il, Kenosha, Wi, Deluth, Mn, and parts of North and South Dakota. I still to this day will not wear pants. Absolutely hate being confined by jeans. Of coarse, I have to at work do to government stipulations, but there was a time when I had rebar cuts all over my legs....lol

Just rubs me wrong when people think that they live in the coldest or hottest place when they do not. One thing about me is this. You will never hear me complain about the weather. I work outdoors for a livin, and I feel if your gonna complain about it go back inside. Let the men handle it. When I open my mouth like that, I usually end up alone in the hole.....lol I myself think of Siberia or Antarctica, or for heat Africa or Australia, Iraq for that matter.

Anyway I'm sure it's pretty where your at, but you don't have Steelhead or Salmon in your rivers. Therefore IMO my state is better than yours.......lol Cause that is all I care about. Alaska is the next stop, but for now I'll fish along rivers that are in some pretty country also. Like someone I know once said " I'd rather be fishing and thinking about God, then be in church thinking about fishing."

• Upvote 1

I'd rather live in the north then the south. Reason being too many and too big of bugs. I had to stay in a motel in Jackson, Miss. one time, and when I went to get a soda out of the machine I saw 2 " roaches, or something that looked like roaches. This place wasn't a dump, but it wasn't the Ritz either. People talk about how mosquitoes in the north are big enough to carry a small child, well in Morgan City, La they don't need size, cause they have numbers. Up north can hear them comin in for a landing. Down south if you hear'em you already been bit. Just one of the reasons I like the north.

• Upvote 2

Ice fishing, a culture onto itself. I, like many kids learned to drive on ice while Dad was waiting for that tiny bobber to twitch. My folks and a couple from across the street would take a weekend away from the kids each year to go icefishing. So there they were, in four hole ice house a mile out on Lake Mil Lac ... playing Bridge! I don't recall them bringing home many fish.

Edited by magawatt
  • Upvote 1

Like someone I know once said " I'd rather be fishing and thinking about God, then be in church thinking about fishing."

I gotta say fastarnie... some of the best times I've ever had talkin to The Creator... was when I was out and about in His Creation... be that fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, or just sitting by a campfire looking up at the stars... now that's one fancy cathedral if you ask me!!! wink.gif

Ice fishing, a culture onto itself. I, like many kids learned to drive on ice while Dad was waiting for that tiny bobber to twitch. My folks and a couple from across the street would take a weekend away from the kids each year to go icefishing. So there they were, in four hole ice house a mile out on Lake Mil Lac ... playing Bridge! I don't recall them bringing home many fish.

Not if there was any beer to be had magawatt!!! laugh.gif From what I hear about Mil Lac's there are some enterprising folks who will bring little "stores" out on the ice near all those "mini-villages" or clusters of ice shacks and sell whatever a fisherman needs so they don't have to leave the ice. I've even heard some of the ice houses are fully equipped with t.v., sonar for fish, and radar for when the wife comes to drag em back home!!! (gulp)unsure.gif Yup... that kinda trip is still on my bucket list.

15ice600.1.jpg

Yeah... now that's ruffing it boyz!!! rolleyes.gif

ss-110129-minnesota-ice_12.grid-7x2.JPG

• Upvote 1