Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Why lock threads instead of warning posters?

makecents

Threads here have been locked presumably as things were getting too personal or heated, though there was no final posting from the mod or admin doing the locking as to the details of their decision (which also seems bad to me). I agree that debate should not be allowed to get to this point since it just nullifies the whole point of having the debate in the first place. But when this happens why is it that posters are not warned, reprimanded, etc instead of locking the thread. Locking the thread does not point out where people were violating board policy or getting too personal etc so it doesn't (as I see it anyway) change anyone's behavior, but just stifles debate. I hope what is desired is to change the debating behavior of members but not preclude debate. Or am I wrong about that?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Public warnings usually are the last resort. We choose to handle most warnings in private. Our goal is not public humiliation, but private warnings based on reports of rule violations. We do not choose to make a public spectal out of people and choose to work with people until it is no longer possible.

If we close a thread, it is for good reason. ;)

• Upvote 5

Well I don't think it would be humiliating to have a mod reply to a post "hey so-and-so please stay on topic and away from personal attacks" etc. Plus that helps educate everyone on what is or is not acceptable behavior. When a thread just gets locked, maybe some of the posters had private mod interactions but the rest of them don't see that so can not learn from the mistakes of others. If getting a public warning is too humiliating to take, maybe folks should stay off the internet! :)

But just my views, YMMV of course. Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by makecents
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well I don't think it would be humiliating to have a mod reply to a post "hey so-and-so please stay on topic and away from personal attacks" etc. Plus that helps educate everyone on what is or is not acceptable behavior. When a thread just gets locked, maybe some of the posters had private mod interactions but the rest of them don't see that so can not learn from the mistakes of others. If getting a public warning is too humiliating to take, maybe folks should stay off the internet! smile.gif

If you go and look, I did make a comment on why threads are locked and for everyone to PLAY NICE!!

• Upvote 4

If you go and look, I did make a comment on why threads are locked and for everyone to PLAY NICE!!

Right and I think that is a good practice. Personally I think it would work even better if you pointed out the (parts of) posts that were looking like they were leading to trouble so folks would not just think it was the other guy.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

We aren't kids, if we can't figure it out, IMO somethings wrong. Rules are all there in black and white, with some blue. Oh and some gray.

Why ask why? I think the mods here do a great job, and I been here for a little while.

And I believe I'll keep the rest of my opinion to myself, so that I don't break the rules. :)/>

Edited by fastarnie
  • Upvote 3

Right and I think that is a good practice. Personally I think it would work even better if you pointed out the (parts of) posts that were looking like they were leading to trouble so folks would not just think it was the other guy.

I wish my job was that easy!! I have a full time job and I am taking an online course so I tend to get my point across and move on! Most of the time I will check back to see if everything has calmed down or not but in this case another one of our great mods stepped in and took it over!! biggrin.gif

We have hundreds of post to check out everyday and it is hard to remember everything that is going on! I will try to do better! smile.gif

We aren't kids, if we can't figure it out, IMO somethings wrong. Rules are all there in black and white, with some blue. Oh and some gray.

Why ask why? I think the mods here do a great job, and I been here for a little while.

And I believe I'll keep the rest of my opinion to myself, so that I don't break the rules. smile.gif/>

Thank YOU!!! smile.gif

• Upvote 5

Really.........Really? Re-read the posts by all(including myself),it's not hard to figure out.

• Upvote 2

I wish my job was that easy!! I have a full time job and I am taking an online course so I tend to get my point across and move on! Most of the time I will check back to see if everything has calmed down or not but in this case another one of our great mods stepped in and took it over!! biggrin.gif

We have hundreds of post to check out everyday and it is hard to remember everything that is going on! I will try to do better! smile.gif

Thank YOU!!! smile.gif

LOL, Critical Analysis of someone's Bullcrap post that's breaking the rules. Yeah that's going to happen! lol-045.gif

-

• Upvote 5

So let me get this straight you come on here asking why threads are locked? you just joined the site 3 days ago ( which we all know your an ex banned member of this site with a new account) and start to question why threads are getting locked and that you basically dont agree with it. If you dont like what the Mods are doing as far as locking threads go make your own website. No one is forcing you to stay here, I think its kinda funny you just joined and already making demands. Why because your lopsters buddies cant post now? laugh.gif

Well I don't think it would be humiliating to have a mod reply to a post "hey so-and-so please stay on topic and away from personal attacks" etc. Plus that helps educate everyone on what is or is not acceptable behavior. When a thread just gets locked, maybe some of the posters had private mod interactions but the rest of them don't see that so can not learn from the mistakes of others. If getting a public warning is too humiliating to take, maybe folks should stay off the internet! smile.gif

maybe YOU should go make your own site.

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 7

LOL, Critical Analysis of someone's Bullcrap post that's breaking the rules. Yeah that's going to happen! lol-045.gif

What sort of "critical analysis"? When a mod reads a post that caused them to think about locking the thread the "analysis" is already done, they could instead post (hey so and so, calm down). Bumper seems to post such cautions but as far as I can see does not name names and said the policy was that such would be too humiliating. Ok, just asking.

So let me get this straight you come on here asking why threads are locked? you just joined the site 3 days ago ( which we all know your an ex banned member of this site with a new account) and start to question why threads are getting locked and that you basically dont agree with it. If you dont like what the Mods are doing as far as locking threads go make your own website. No one is forcing you to stay here, I think its kinda funny you just joined and already making demands. Why because your lopsters buddies cant post now? laugh.gif

maybe YOU should go make your own site.

I have a perfect friendly conversation with a couple of the mods about this, and you jump on my case? Whats with that? Is any discussion of policy, even inquiring as to what it is, grounds to you that I should go away and start my own site? Seems rather an extreme response to me, but to each their own. Edited by makecents
  • Downvote 2

What sort of "critical analysis"? When a mod reads a post that caused them to think about locking the thread, they could instead post (hey so and so, calm down). Bumper seems to post such cautions but as far as I can see does not name names and said the policy was that such would be too humiliating. Ok, just asking.

I have a perfect friendly conversation with a couple of the mods about this, and you jump on my case? Whats with that? Is any discussion of policy, even inquiring as to what it is, grounds to you that I should go away and start my own site? Seems rather an extreme response to me, but to each their own.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

nope i just see through your BS as many others do and was anticipating one you lopsters to make another thread complaining about it well here it isrolleyes.gif

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 1

Bumper seems to post such cautions but as far as I can see does not name names and said the policy was that such would be too humiliating. Ok, just asking.

Makecents,

I have been a mod here at DV starting in 09, most people here know my style of modding. I will let people work issues out on their own as we are all adults but when I see things going to far I will step in and say something. I usually don't call out names as most know who is out of line and who is not! When I have to call out names it is usually the start to me warming up the ban hammer ass-kicking.gif

If I see you stepping out of line I will be sure to call you out by name!! laugh.gif j/kidding

We have some of the best mods here at DV that we have ever had from the time I started so we must be doing something right!!! biggrin.gif

Most people LIKE US!!

• Upvote 4

Makecents,

I have been a mod here at DV starting in 09, most people here know my style of modding. I will let people work issues out on their own as we are all adults but when I see things going to far I will step in and say something. I usually don't call out names as most know who is out of line and who is not! When I have to call out names it is usually the start to me warming up the ban hammer ass-kicking.gif

If I see you stepping out of line I will be sure to call you out by name!! laugh.gif j/kidding

Touche! I definitely asked for that one! :)

I will always try to play nice!

Edited by makecents
  • Upvote 1

Makecents,

IWe have some of the best mods here at DV that we have ever had from the time I started so we must be doing something right!!! biggrin.gif

Most people LIKE US!!

:o/> dang it, most people have not visited the chatroom yet :P/> I just have to say that I believe MOST people here respect us, not too sure if they like us :lol:/>

makecents - The forum rules are pretty straight forward and we are all adults. If the TOS needs to be read to someone, then maybe they need to have their mommy read and explain it to them. :P/> :moon-from-car:

• Upvote 3

Wow , if you all think the forum is a tough gig to follow you have not been in the chat room. We get some very heavy discussions in there and believe me the Mods are on it like white on rice. By the way we always get the evil eye before the BOOT comes down. Been there done that. To all Mods great job love you all. :bow:/> :twocents:/> :tiphat:/> :twothumbs:/>

• Upvote 1

I gave you a + to get rid of the - someone gave you.

• Upvote 1