Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Prayer Request

RodandStaff

Hey ya'll... I don't know how to start, but when you have have your whole world shaken up like a rag doll it's not easy. If ya'll follow me at all, ya'll know I love life, I goof off a lot, but always try to keep the priorities of life straight. Let's just say we as a family went out last night, got home from a movie (my daughter's B-Day treat) and when she and my son went to discuss some "issues" he was going through she noticed a scar on his wrist. When it came out, and I finally got to see it... you guessed it... he had not only tried to cut himself... it went further than that. The "cut" was already a couple of days old.. how he hid it from us I'll never know? The incision he had made had spread out over 1/2" wide, so you know that had to be pretty deep. Even though it was a couple of days old I still rushed him to the emergency room anyway because there was infection in the the 3" long cut.

Now as a former youth worker I had dealt with "other kids" cutting themselves (something I have never really understood"... but there is something about when your own kid does, esp. when it takes you totally by surprise. The two worst things about it were that he just missed an artery... meaning we would be planning a funeral right now (based on the direction of the cut... if you don't know what I mean, maybe it's best you don't know!), and that he had not only hid it, but downplayed it when we discovered it. At the emergency room they basically treated him, confirmed how much of a "close call it was", and then stepped in and placed him in a mental health facility until they know for sure he is in a better mind frame then when he did that. Apart from having almost no sleep last night.. our world has been shaken something fierce. As many of ya'll know I make no bones about trusting in the Almighty.... I don't ever cram it down anyone's face, but we do believe He has a plan for each and every one of us.

I was told not to spread it to family and our "families friends"... but he never specified my "DV family" (to me that is a legal loop hole I am going to exploit wink.gif). Our adopted son is such an amazing kid, very smart, deep thinker, but pretty quiet around home. He has never adjusted well to our move to the Music City, having made no real close friends here, and having to deal what to us has been the most difficult/testing years of our lives. He is now 18 yrs. old but it seems the poor kid is having a hard time grabbing onto hope for his own future. I am still in shock, and don't hardly know what to say... except to ask for ya'll's prayer's for our son if you would, and for Mom and Dad too... we could sure use it right now. Today was a very rough day... they wouldn't let us see him, so we have just been replaying all the "what if's" in our head. I am however so thankful to God that we do have a second chance.... something not every parent gets. I consider myself as what us guys would call "a man's man" taught never to cry, or show much emotion... but that has all changed today... it was hard to get through the day. We are very "discombobulated" with a broken heart right now, and we would appreciate it if you'll would stand in prayer for this fine young man that God has gifted us with, and pray for my wife and I as well. We would greatly appreciate it. I know like all of us, our son has a future if he would just try and see it. That's about all I can say for right now... except thanks ahead of time!

Sorry this is so long... and I know many of you are dealing with many tough issues as well... feel free to hijack this thread if ya'll have some pressing needs as well.. that's what family is for!

RodNStaff,

My heart breaks for you.

I will put this on our prayer team at church. It is a Pentecostal Church of God and our oldest daughter and husband are pastors.

Their daughter (our precious Grn/daughter) went through cutting and running away at 13 yrs old.

It baffles us to know she had so much love, a very nice clean home and all the things she needed and yet

this happened. She had therapy and was on meds for a short period. Thank God it has ended now.

I also know others that have done this.

The enemy wants our children and we are in a war to pray and stand in the gap for them.

This also means yours.

You are never alone here, we in DV stand besde you.

God's blessing and the infiltration of the Holy Spirit be with you and yours.

Luci and all our church family, family and friends.

• Upvote 3

Sending up prayers for your son and your family. Also for other teens who suffer from "cutting." I am grateful you have been given a second chance. It is unfortunate that it happened but at least you know about it now and can feel better about the fact that his recovery has begun.

• Upvote 3

RodandStaff. My heart and my prayers go out to you and your wife. However I have to pray a little harder for your son. He needs a lot more as we speak. It is true that the Good Lord has a plan for each of us and until that plan is fulfilled we are here as his messengers. I truly believe in my heart He is not done with your son and your son has not delivered His message.

• Upvote 3

Hey Rod,

. And with regard to that very issue, I want you to hear me,……; unless that ER nurse was Jesus Junior, there is no way he could conclude that your son’s event meant your son wanted a closer relationship with you (as if that weren't already so) . I’m saying that because I don’t want you to take that on… I’m saying that because I don’t want you to spend your time second guessing what you could or should not have done somewhere down the road. And clearly, imo the statement ignores the beauty of the relationship you actually already have with each other, and the potential already blossoming into something even deeper.

Please don’t miss the incredible things you gave to your son and he to you in the unfolding of this event:

I totally agree! Rod know that the enemy is at work and becareful what you give your thoughts to. Remember our GOD turns ALL things to good for those that love HIM! Just know that I am standing in the gap for you and your family! Do NOT let the enemy continue to contribute to your thoughts. Take every thought captive!

I stand in agreement with all the prayers that have been lifted up in Jesus most powerful name AMEN!

We are all standing in the gap, put on your full armour, and GOD's got your back!

You are always welcome at the sister site www.newdinarchat.com

• Upvote 4

Hey Rod, I wasn’t on much yesterday so missed this thread. My prayers are with you brother. It’s comforting to know your family here on DV has so much faith. This world is a test and I believe the Lord gives us these wake up calls so that we will find our faith again and again. The good Lord has already intervened! You, your son and your family are in my prayers.

• Upvote 3

Rod my friend, my heart aches for you and your family. I'm sure the Lord will continue to give your family and especially your son all the strength to overcome this obstacle. The words are hard to find friend.....but be confident in the fact that my prayers will include you and yours. Your attitude and love of life is without reproach in this crazy DV family and if anybody has what it takes to overcome and persevere, it is you. Take care of your family and please feel free to call on me any time.

tumblr_lad02gJtcZ1qcb717.jpg

• Upvote 3

RodandStaff - Man, that does break my heart! I've followed you on DV and know that you are a Godly person. I send out all of the prayers I can possibly gather. I've had heart-wrenching issues with both of my kids (grown now) and I can feel your pain. May God gather you and your wife in his arms and calm your fears and give you strength. God has a plan for each one of us. I'm standing in the gap with prayers for you and your family.

• Upvote 3

Not to downplay anything anyone said... and I wouldn't want to ignore any comment made.. but if I may I am just going to respond to a few at first (more to come at the rate of the response's I'm getting rest assured).

Spend every spare moment you have with him, comfort him but choose your words carefully........he is in a delicate place right now. Our Wonderful Counselor will speak words of wisdom to you and your family.

Os....Word's from a sage for sure... and that is our prayer and our aim...God help us!!!

It doesn’t matter if they turn out to be a brain surgeons or janitors, our job is just to love them.

jonjon...What more can I say to that but "Amen and Amen"!!!

A crisis is also an opportunity for understanding and healing. Your son will one day thank God he gave him you for a father.

magawatt... never heard it said like that before... but it rings true in my spirit. This could be a huge opportunity for us... and we are praying our son is not only healed... but can be used to go on to heal other struggling kids as well.

This is a family. I joined here to get info on an investment I made and instead got a family...what a blessing is that? GOD bless you brother and know we are behind you....

puckster_guy... it's funny how that works... but hang around here enough and these folks have a way of getting to your heart... for which I am very grateful for!!!

God will protect him and bring him home to you. Again he will be in your arms of love, courage and strength.

Your compassion, conviction and your faith will get you through this.

We will be your prayer warriors through this, you can count on us.

pattyangel... Thank's to ya'll for rushing in when we could have been overtaken by the wrong thoughts... courage and strength, compassion and faith... thanks for the reminder that we can't forget those tools in our arsenal to fight off those lies that try to overtake our children... lies that tell our kid's they aren't loved and that nobody wants them.... when in fact that is farthest from the truth!

I pray that he never resorts again to doing something that will not only hurt him, but will hurt a lot of others that love and care about him!

You hit the nail on the head Bump.... I think we are all interconnected in ways we may never understand. Each of us has a place, a purpose... and no one can fill that void if we are gone. I have been blessed by so many here... your impact is greater than you know.

Raising children is not for the weak! May God provide you with the strength and wisdom and comfort through the tough times. We're here for you!!

Spoken like a true parent genx4me!!! wink.gif And I made the mistake most of us do early on... I thought they would only be tough to raise when they were toddler's! rolleyes.gif

Rod, I'm sorry to hear of your sons troubles. The enemy knows his days are numbered and the attack is heavily aimed at this generation. I pray that God's Love will overtake your son and that He will reveal himself to your son in a supernatural way. I pray a hedge of protection over your son and I bind the enemy in Jesus name. I pray that God will lead and direct you and I pray for peace over you and your family.

Tripphood... It sounds like you have a clear understanding of what I call "the big picture". This generation seems to have been targeted more than any other generation before it.... why? IMO it's because they have an important call on their lives. When the wise men came to Herod with news of the Star being a sign of the Coming One who would rule the world (yes, that was their perspective.... little did they know that it would be to rule men's hearts, not the thrones and government's of this world) he felt threatened. What did he do? He tried to take out the competition. He went to Bethlehem and had all the children under 2 yrs. old killed. (Note: The wise men probably didn't come to the stable... they came a bit later, when they were most likely already in a home... that's why it was 2 yrs. and under). I have believed for a long time that this young generation is special... and because of it they are targeted like no other generation before it.

Don't get me wrong... I am guilty of losing focus, and allowing things to happen within my own home I should have been on top of long before this (priorities man... priorities!), but that doesn't negate that these young people all across the world are being targeted in way's like never before. I appreciate the prayers and concern I really do... but let's not neglect to hug your own kid's... and the one's that might not even have a dad, take them under our wing's... they need love too. To me... this is a wake up call, and thanks to all those who have been so gracious to support our family in this tough time.

I know you have mentioned the power of WORDS…well now is a great time to deploy them out loud over your son. No word shall return to you void!

Don’t get all twisted up trying to work this out and playing all the “what if’s” scenarios through your head. Know that He that is within you will enable you to reach and find the choice and appropriate words. That gentle reassuring touch too, reaching out to minister to “tigger” in his time of need.

Thanks for the reminder FlyHi...ya'll know words are powerful, and we always need to be reminded how they impact our each and every day... true dat! wink.gif

And yes... I need to not listen to the accuser of the brethren by being overcome by the "what-if's". I'm believing that "Tigger" is still down in there in my son, and with the right key that nature can be unlocked and released once again.

• Upvote 5

I'm not ignoring the rest of ya'll's comments... I'm absorbing each and every one, and will hopefully get to more later.... but I've decided since my son may not be coming home till tonight or tomorrow that I'm heading off to where I do some of my best thinking... work. I've gotta keep my hands busy at times like this, but it still gives me time to think and pray. Today is one of those days. I will check back in as soon as I can... love ya'll from our family to yours. - Rod wub.gif

• Upvote 4

Hey Rod,

Just wanted to let you know that I prayed for you and your family. The Lord is with you and He is not giving you and your family more than what you can bear. I know how you feel.. it's different when we are ministering to others and to our own family. Nothing is hidden from Him... He knows and I trust that His angels has been guarding your son and knowing that you found out about this through your daughter is already the work in progress towards healing for the whole family. God is making the foundation stronger... my experience has been that whenever He is doing work in us...it will start from the foundation. Just as Psalm 46:10 says "be still and know that I am God" I pray God will hold you and your family in the cup of His hands and that you are protected by His mighty wings. I claim Psalm 91 for protection for you and your family and that He charged His angels to watch over you that you will not stumble and fall. I pray that His goodness and mercy will follow you and your family and I pray that His blood that is so precious is your covering. The Lord rebuke the devourer because of His love for you. I pray that His presence and annointing will be in your house. Trust and rest in Him.... it will be okay :)

Please holler if you need anything, I am here to help :) except for RV, I can't do that lol

Blessings and hugs for you and your family :)

• Upvote 4

Rod, I'm so sorry to hear this. You are such a joyful soul on this forum.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family, and especially your son.

Cutting is a cry for help and you have heard him. Your spiritual guidance will show you all how to get through this.

• Upvote 4

Quick Update: Our son got home today from the mental health facility, after the hospital they took him to a facility that was mandatory for folks at risk... after another doctor talked to him for 2 hours they recommend he be released but suggested he go to a voluntary facility for further assistance.. which he did. When they released him they didn't prescribe him any med's (thankfully... I've heard that can be a very mixed bag). And he is scheduled for more counseling next week.

He learned pretty quick that his life "ain't all that bad compared to a lot of other folks out there". One of the first things he said when my wife picked him up... "I think I learned that a bad day with God beats a good day without Him every time"!!! emot-downsbravo.gifAnd he was looking forward to some family talk and even wanted to pray with us... that's a big change from where's he's been lately... so glad to know these are steps in the right direction. Thank Ya'll for praying, and all the kind and insightful words of encouragement.... I'm stunned and overwhelmed by all the love!!! Thank's again!!! blush.gif

Given you are likely still in that fog, I want to make sure you don’t miss the extraordinary gifts you have given your son in the past few days. Having worked with kids, you know that so many things can lead to this kind of expression… and some times we just don’t know what the precipitating event is. And with regard to that very issue, I want you to hear me,……; unless that ER nurse was Jesus Junior, there is no way he could conclude that your son’s event meant your son wanted a closer relationship with you (as if that weren't already so) . I’m saying that because I don’t want you to take that on… I’m saying that because I don’t want you to spend your time second guessing what you could or should not have done somewhere down the road. And clearly, imo the statement ignores the beauty of the relationship you actually already have with each other, and the potential already blossoming into something even deeper.

Very good and point taken Rayzur... yes, trying not to second guess (which frankly isn't always easy, but in the weeks and months to come we hope to uncover the roots of the issues and get to his heart with God's help... thanks for the wisdom!

Please don’t miss the incredible things you gave to your son and he to you in the unfolding of this event:

You showed him you are his dad, and you love him. You gave the gift of of him knowing that no matter what, he will always be your son and you will always love him. You gave your son the gift of knowing you will be there for him during those times he’s not able to be there for himself; that you will be there to protect him, during times he can’t protect himself; that you will stand beside him, in moments of his doubt; that you will do whatever it takes to make sure he is safe because you love him. And when your son down played the significance of his expression, you gave him the gift of knowing he can trust you to do the right thing to keep him safe in times he is confused and in pain. Understood he is 18… and sometimes even when we are 68, it’s a profound gift knowing your dad’s got your back, that he will step up, he will be there, and he will make sure the world is as right as he can make it…. Just like you did for your son Rod

Sometimes you can't see the forest from the trees Rayzur.. that was one of the most articulate reminders I have ever seen... thank you!!!

And in return, your son gave you the gift of knowing that he absolutely trusts you, he could have bolted for the hills,fought you, refused to engage…. ad infinitum … and he didn't. He gave you the gift of knowing that he trusts you, his dad… to be his dad…; that he respects you in your decisions about his life when he is in trouble; that he trusts you enough to share his deepest pain, and trusts that you will not abandon him for having done so. Your son gave you the gift of knowing he trusts you so much he is willing to share his vulnerability, and fear. That is a whole lot of trust and respect for an 18 yr old guy to have for his dad.

Again my friend... what amazing understanding of the situation... you weren't there where you??? wink.gif

Looks to me like you already have one hellva close relationship and the only thing ya’ll might want to consider, is acknowledging that, showing that, talking about that, and maybe putting into words what you both know in your hearts. Who knows, maybe your son gives the gift of teaching all of us who didn't get the memo; This is the 21stCentury… it is now acceptable, in fact its preferable that fathers and sons be allowed to actually say to one another, “I love you” ……

You, your son and family have my prayers Rod…. God Bless and Keep You

PS, your son is the cutest little guy on the planet in that picture…. He’s got some depth, wisdom and joy in those eyes… I’ll bet he’s smart as whip….

I'm gonna really go out on a limb here, since you seemed to nail it on the head in more ways than you can imagine Rayzur. One time, years ago, I wanted to do something special for my kids... to give some little gift that had meaning for each of them at Christmas. I was wandering around in Walmart and so I said a silent prayer ... "lead me to something special for each of my kids"... nothing fancy, but not sure what would "happen"??? It was like a magnet... I went into the candy section.. and believe me or not... I felt this impression for each of my kids. My daughter who is biracial... and plays and sings touches your heart like an angel... I felt I should get her "Hershey Swirl's"... milk chocolate and white chocolate in a swirl... "a biracial kiss".. and that's what I think music does... kisses the soul. To my son I felt led to the "Life Saver" candy.. why? I guess the impression I got is that some day he will be able to articulate deep words of wisdom that will act as a "life saver" to those who hear them. Are my kids any more "special" than any one else's... I doubt that, and yet being adopted I can't take credit for their DNA... just changing their diapers, loving them day to day like any parent does, and encouraging them each that they have a special calling from God designed for each of them. My daughter has so far garnered the most attention. She can lead music and enrapture folks with her message. My son feels left out.... but I know he has a way that when he wants to can touch the very depth of someones very need. Again... I think "every single person" has a place in this ol' world.. as long as we don't miss our true calling... just my opinion, but I think we all have hidden talents and gifts if we will just take the time to dig into them. As far as learning to cross that threshold of expressing our love... that is new ground for many of us... but I think it's finally becoming "chic" to let our emotions of love show... and I'm learnin that that can be a very good thing, even for an ol' reserved mid-westerner raised fella like me!!!

Their daughter (our precious Grn/daughter) went through cutting and running away at 13 yrs old.

It baffles us to know she had so much love, a very nice clean home and all the things she needed and yet

this happened. She had therapy and was on meds for a short period. Thank God it has ended now.

I also know others that have done this.

The enemy wants our children and we are in a war to pray and stand in the gap for them.

This also means yours.

You are never alone here, we in DV stand besde you.

I know I am not alone DnD...esp. gearing that from some of the responses on here. It hit's home when it's your own kids.. but there are many who are struggling with this same issue. Amazing how today I was listening to the radio going to work and the topic of kids cutting themselves came up... it sure got my attention, esp. now with a better understanding of how serious it is!!!

I'm gettin that feeling that this may lead to learning more and more on this subject until I can at least get a better understanding on the "why", and then how to better deal with it. Thanks!!!

• Upvote 3

Hey man, I just popped on and read your post, I felt so compelled that I read no other replys so please forgive me if this sounds redundant or passé . I cannot imagine your pain right now, I am sure you and your wife have wondered if it was something you did, please don't do so, young people are stupid sometimes, they haven't grasp the value of what life holds and or they just don't realize the reprucussions of their actions, I say this Rod because at 16 I did pretty much the same the same thing, I thought I needed to hit a vein so I slice deep across the back of my hand with a razor blade ,right across that thick blue vein, it was absolutely horrible, and 26 years later I still look down at the scar and ask myself "What were you thinking? " I really had no reason to want to die, life wasn't the best but it wasn't anywhere near unbearable that I would think of such a thing, I really believe I did not realize how dire a act like that could have been. I also hid it for quite some time, when finally confronted I said a iciscle fell off the roof and slit my hand, ? My folks were still very young so I do not think they had the maturity to confront such a immature act. My folks were 15 & 17 when they had me, so such a out of the norm act I believe baffled them, and they just left it at that. The long and short Rod is it may have been for attention or maybe just too dumb to realize how bad the out come could have been, but I did something that I will never understand why, but I will tell you this, it wasn't cause we were poor, it wasn't because my parents were bad, no peer's goated me into it, I just did something stupid and as I think about the hell I have gone through over these past years I still can never come up with a reason to do something like that again. I feel stupid writing this without reading thru the thread, you may have found some reasoning or some kind of remote solace with it all, but if not I can only give you my experience and hope that you can take anything from it to help you both find some sort of normality. Hey man I'm 42, married for 22 years, one kid out of college, one more on his way, besides being a grumpy ass sometimes and a few to many beers on occasions I didn't turn out too bad, although to evaluate me at 16 I'm sure people would have thought different. My prayers are with you, your wife and your son and family. Eddie. Aka Paul.

• Upvote 6

Also for other teens who suffer from "cutting." I am grateful you have been given a second chance. It is unfortunate that it happened but at least you know about it now and can feel better about the fact that his recovery has begun.

My heart has been "pricked" with the reality of how serious this situation is KCT.. and yes... thank God we have been given a second change... I pray I take full advantage of that opportunity.

It is true that the Good Lord has a plan for each of us and until that plan is fulfilled we are here as his messengers. I truly believe in my heart He is not done with your son and your son has not delivered His message.

Thanks Saint... and I totally agree with you my friend. Oh that we could all see the plan's He has for us... and strive to fulfill those as best we can.

This world is a test and I believe the Lord gives us these wake up calls so that we will find our faith again and again. The good Lord has already intervened! You, your son and your family are in my prayers.

I'm thick headed enough 64jaguar that I guess I need those wake up calls and reminders "again and again"... thankfully He is patient with us or I wouldn't stand a chance!!! wink.gif

Rod my friend, my heart aches for you and your family. I'm sure the Lord will continue to give your family and especially your son all the strength to overcome this obstacle. The words are hard to find friend.....but be confident in the fact that my prayers will include you and yours. Your attitude and love of life is without reproach in this crazy DV family and if anybody has what it takes to overcome and persevere, it is you. Take care of your family and please feel free to call on me any time.

tumblr_lad02gJtcZ1qcb717.jpg

Shab's my friend.. thanks so much for the kind words... and yes... it's time to dig the well a little deeper to find that reserve that has been placed in each one of us!

God has a plan for each one of us. I'm standing in the gap with prayers for you and your family.

It never hurts to be reminded of that fact over and over again paperboy... thank you so much!!!

Hold strong to your faith RodandStaff. God will take care of everything if you stay strong in your faith for him. I will be praying for your family and know that your son will be fine.

Hangin on TG.. and all this encouragement is sure a boost... thanks dear!!!

its a new day...new huggs and prayers

Yes... the night was dark... a new day is dawning though, thanks SnowGlobe!!!

The Lord is with you and He is not giving you and your family more than what you can bear. I know how you feel.. it's different when we are ministering to others and to our own family. Nothing is hidden from Him... He knows and I trust that His angels has been guarding your son and knowing that you found out about this through your daughter is already the work in progress towards healing for the whole family.

I didn't think of it that way Nadita... thanks for the insight!

God is making the foundation stronger... my experience has been that whenever He is doing work in us...it will start from the foundation.

Again... great insight.. and unless the Lord build the house we labor in vain... as a remodeler/builder I've learned it always pay to check the foundation before you build.. hmmm... spiritual lesson coming on I think!!! wink.gif Thanks dear!!!

Cutting is a cry for help and you have heard him. Your spiritual guidance will show you all how to get through this.

Goldiegirl... it's unfortunate that there is so much of this going on... and again, I'm thankful we heard the cry of his heart! Thanks, and I do believe there is a way through all this!!! smile.gif

• Upvote 3

Sanctuary... whether in a closet somewhere, the side of a mountain or lake,

or in a gorgeous place like this... we all need it at times. Yet I'm taking solace

today not only in that alone time... but in the realization of how many folks in

this great DV family come and hold your hand and help lift you up when you

need it.... and that is priceless! wink.gif

543408_496851470367187_1342523633_n.jpg

• Upvote 4