Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Caught at the Canadian border with $7M in Iraqi currency and two handguns, three California men under investigation

Macker

LINK

Three family members from California were arrested at the Ambassador Bridge after they were discovered carrying the equivalent of C$7 million in Iraqi currency and two handguns.

A joint investigation by the RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency was launched following the Nov. 19 arrest to determine the origin and intent of the three men — who reside in the San Francisco area — after they were found carrying the Iraqi dinars.

“I can confirm there is an investigation,” said RCMP Sgt. Peter Koersvelt. “I can’t discuss it at all at this point.”

Jose Berrios, 60, of San Francisco, his brother Jesus, 50, of Daly, Calf., and a third family member Richard Berrios, 31 of Vallejo, Calf., — believed to be the nephew of one of the men — were released from custody Christmas Eve following a bail hearing in Windsor.

Lawyer Christina Sweet, who is representing Jose Berrios, said Monday she cannot comment on the bail hearing.

“It’s a very reputable family,” she said. “They are good guys.”

The only charges against the men to date are related to carrying the handguns inside their GMC Yukon as they attempted to cross the bridge in the evening hours. The men were pulled over for secondary inspection by CBSA officers when the cash and guns were discovered.

The two weapons seized in the vehicle were a 357 Magnum revolver and a 40-calibre Smith and Wesson semi-automatic handgun.

Among the Customs Act and Criminal Code charges against the men include failing to declare the weapons, careless transport of a firearm, unauthorized possession, absence of a licence and unlawful importation.

CBSA officials refused to comment Monday on the incident or investigation.

The three men were released on Christmas Eve after posting a total of $60,000 in bail and promising to return to Windsor for their next court appearance on Feb. 5 in Ontario court. Should the men fail to return to court in Windsor an extradition warrant could be issued.

No criminal charges have yet been filed in connection with the large sum of cash which has been seized. It was unknown when that might occur, according to authorities.

The CBSA says people entering Canada must declare any amount of money over $10,000.

“The matter is still under investigation,” said Assistant Crown attorney Frank Schwalm, who is handling the charges in court.

Caught at the Canadian border with $7M in Iraqi currency and two handguns, three California men under investigation

Dave Battagello, Postmedia News | Jan 8, 2013 7:46 AM ET

The Windsor Star - Nick BrancaccioThree San Francisco men were arrested at the Ambassador Bridge after trying to cross into Canada carrying $7-million in Iraqi currency and two handguns..

Three family members from California were arrested at the Ambassador Bridge after they were discovered carrying the equivalent of $7-million in Iraqi currency and two handguns.

A joint investigation by the RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency was launched following the Nov. 19 arrest to determine the origin and intent of the three men — who reside in the San Francisco area — after they were found carrying Iraqi dinars.

“I can confirm there is an investigation,” said RCMP Sgt. Peter Koersvelt. “I can’t discuss it at all at this point.”

Jose Berrios, 60, of San Francisco, his brother Jesus, 50, and a third family member Richard Berrios, 31 — believed to be the nephew of one of the men — were released from custody Christmas Eve following a bail hearing in Windsor.

Lawyer Christina Sweet, who is representing Jose Berrios, said Monday she cannot comment on the bail hearing.

“It’s a very reputable family,” she said. “They are good guys.”

The only charges against the men to date are related to carrying the handguns inside their GMC Yukon as they attempted to cross the bridge in the evening hours. The men were pulled over for secondary inspection by CBSA officers when the cash and guns were discovered.

The two weapons seized in the vehicle were a .357 Magnum revolver and a .40-calibre Smith and Wesson semi-automatic handgun.

Among the Customs Act and Criminal Code charges against the men include failing to declare the weapons, careless transport of a firearm, unauthorized possession, absence of a licence and unlawful importation.

CBSA officials refused to comment Monday on the incident or investigation.

The three men were released on Christmas Eve after posting a total of $60,000 in bail and promising to return to Windsor for their next court appearance on Feb. 5 in Ontario court. Should the men fail to return to court in Windsor an extradition warrant could be issued.

No criminal charges have yet been filed in connection with the large sum of cash which has been seized. It was unknown when that might occur, according to authorities.

The CBSA says people entering Canada must declare any amount of money over $10,000.

“The matter is still under investigation,” said assistant Crown attorney Frank Schwalm, who is handling the charges in court.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/08/caught-at-the-canadian-border-with-7m-in-iraqi-currency-and-two-handguns-three-california-men-under-investigation/

• Upvote 1

“The matter is still under investigation,” said assistant Crown attorney Frank Schwalm, who is handling the charges in court.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/08/caught-at-the-canadian-border-with-7m-in-iraqi-currency-and-two-handguns-three-california-men-under-investigation/

My wife being canadian I have crossed the border over 200 times in 4 years and I can say that on the declaration for they ask "if you possess foreign currency worth more then 10,000CAD?" they will never be charged and the men will get their dinar back!

• Upvote 1

My wife being canadian I have crossed the border over 200 times in 4 years and I can say that on the declaration for they ask "if you possess foreign currency worth more then 10,000CAD?" they will never be charged and the men will get their dinar back!

Not sure if these guys had 7 Million dollars worth of dinars or 7 million IQD. If they had 7 million usd dollars worth of notes they could be in trouble.

• Upvote 1

As a truck driver I too have crossed Ambassador Bridge hundreds of times.

They wont be in any trouble for carrying dinar, but if they tried to take firearms into

Canada they will get there dinar back in prison. :unsure: Absolutely no gun

tolerance there.

• Upvote 3

7-mil in Dinar is below the declaration limit so this is strictly about the undeclared fire arms! My guess is these guys were in the process of moving Dinar out of the US prior to RV, more than likely planning to open a non-interest bearing 'Tax Haven' account in Canada. Too bad that bad things have a way of happening to really dumb people! Maybe they are just low budget hit-men?

Me and some buddies got stopped at the Ambassador Bridge once......they wanted to know what was up with all the one dollar bills. Slightly embarrassed about that incident. wink.gif

GO RV, then BV

that's better then me going across and not having cash claiming I was going to the strip club, the female CIBP was hot, and says to me "honey don't you know us Canadians like US money? I advise you to go back to Detroit and get american cash from the ATM!" when I went back through the 2nd time I had $4500 and she just smiled and said "have fun!"

that was back in the day when 1 us was like 1.40 or so

• Upvote 2

I know I am probably going to get negs for this ... But if they are such good guys as the lawyer said why on earth would they have guns at all ? I wasn't raised with guns and maybe this is why I reay struggle to understand this fascination some people have to own them. It was a great tragedy what happened to those school children but when the dunblane massacre occurred here we tightened our gun laws. All our schools have buzzer entry systems and if a child need out of school for hospital appointments etc then they must inform the school and they must be collected by a responsible adult. We do not have armed police in our schools but we do have community police officers who spend an allocated amount of time within the schools each week. We have never had another dunblane since. I can understand having guns for sport but not for any other reason. Additionally, please don't tell me they didn't know the Canadian gun laws.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Exactly !!!

• Upvote 2

that's better then me going across and not having cash claiming I was going to the strip club, the female CIBP was hot, and says to me "honey don't you know us Canadians like US money? I advise you to go back to Detroit and get american cash from the ATM!" when I went back through the 2nd time I had $4500 and she just smiled and said "have fun!"

that was back in the day when 1 us was like 1.40 or so

Everywhere I go, my hometown is known for the strip clubs!!!

• Upvote 1

Me and some buddies got stopped at the Ambassador Bridge once......they wanted to know what was up with all the one dollar bills. Slightly embarrassed about that incident. wink.gif

GO RV, then BV

Just going across the bridge, one mile up on the right.. :nooo:/> :eyebrows:/> :blush:/> :drool:/> :lol:/>

Everywhere I go, my hometown is known for the strip clubs!!!

And HOT French girls. :bow::drool::wub:

• Upvote 1

I know I am probably going to get negs for this ... But if they are such good guys as the lawyer said why on earth would they have guns at all ? I wasn't raised with guns and maybe this is why I reay struggle to understand this fascination some people have to own them. It was a great tragedy what happened to those school children but when the dunblane massacre occurred here we tightened our gun laws. All our schools have buzzer entry systems and if a child need out of school for hospital appointments etc then they must inform the school and they must be collected by a responsible adult. We do not have armed police in our schools but we do have community police officers who spend an allocated amount of time within the schools each week. We have never had another dunblane since. I can understand having guns for sport but not for any other reason. Additionally, please don't tell me they didn't know the Canadian gun laws.

Consider the source Betty. A defense attorney would portray John Dillinger as a saint, it's their job to find anything to put their "clients" in the best light. By the way, with the $60k bail these dudes had to pay, I doubt they'll break even on that $7 million in Iraqi dinar, even with an RV. :lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know I am probably going to get negs for this ..

Good for you BettyBoop not worrying about the negatives. + one just for that.

I was not raised with guns either but my schooling taught me our constitution and what it means.

I now own plenty of guns and have taught my family to use them. I am not a hunter and my primary reason for owning them is to protect my family and because of the intent behind our second amendment.

This was never intended for us to be able to hunt. It was to allow us to protect ourselves from a tyrannical Government. Our founders had great foresight and could envision our government being able to step all over our bill of rights if left unchecked. Some say its happening now and I won't get into that. Take away our guns and they can do as they please.

I really dont want to start a gun debate here. Just know that our right to bear arms is not just a fascination for us but to protect the basic foundations of our constitution.

There is no good answer on how to stop friggin crazy people. How easy would it be to take a vehicle through a crowded intersection. Should we ban cars? The answer is no

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Quote Thomas Jefferson

Edited by SocalDinar
  • Upvote 6

Just going across the bridge, one mile up on the right.. :nooo:/>/> :eyebrows:/>/> :blush:/>/> :drool:/>/> :lol:/>/>

And HOT French girls. :bow:/> :drool:/> :wub:/>

Yes that is true, the hot french girls come down from Montreal to Windsor, and that is what this town is known for! I've traveled way down south, and the first question is a bout the strip clubs!

• Upvote 1

As a truck driver I too have crossed Ambassador Bridge hundreds of times.

They wont be in any trouble for carrying dinar, but if they tried to take firearms into

Canada they will get there dinar back in prison. :unsure:src="http://dinarvets.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif"> Absolutely no gun

tolerance there.

AGREE 100% IT WAS NOT THE DINAR THAT CAUSED THEIR BORDER CROSSING PROBLEMS IT IS THE FIREARMS, 7 MILLION DINAR IS WORTH LESS THAN $10,000.00 U.S. SO THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBEMS THERE.

Im not so certain that 7 M in dinar would equal $10,000... so It may not of been more about the money than it was the guns..... Strange case indeed though. What were they doing with 7 M abd why were they trying to bring it into Canada ? It's not like the dinar is currency that can be used for anything so there sure had to be a reason to get that much across in one go.....It really did not seem like a shady deal either, just trying to get that much across. Interesting story , thanks.

Bad criminals will always have guns as they don't obey laws. Law abiding citizens require guns to protect themselves from criminals. And more importantly governments gone bad.

All the killings are in gun free zones and they are always on dangerous legal psychotropic drugs. Yet they never call for banning the dangerous drugs. They just keep chipping away at constitutional gun laws.

Honestly its all making sense they are using these things and had to throw in the dinar to make it seem that one of the reasons they got arested was because they had dinar in their possession and in the movie "Hit and Run" they are making fun of dinar holders basically calling it a scam and one of those sucker get rich quick schemes this is how i know we have a good investment when mainstream and hollywood is taking notice they want to undermine us and to make the masses think we are ALL being fooled and to stay away from buying dinar they know exactly what they are doing.

Edited by easyrider