Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

9-1-1 Caller Told To Call Back Later

krome2ez

Detroiter Claims 911 Call

Of Stolen Van With Gun Was Ignored

January 5, 2013 8:44 AM

emergency-911-cell-phone.jpg?w=300

istockphoto

DETROIT (WWJ) - While Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and Interim Police Chief Chester Logan explore a restructuring of the city’s police department, some residents are expressing frustration with how their calls are being handled.

Detroiter Rachelle Guyton said she called 911 around 6:30 a.m. Saturday to report that her 2003 Chrysler Town & Country minivan had been stolen from an apartment building in Palmer Park — but it wasn’t the van she was worried about.

“I have a gun under my car seat, and when I called the police department to explain this to them and try to have them help… they didn’t give me any attention. They told me I had to wait until 8 o’clock to call back. What if someone gets shot with this? What if a child gets this in his hand? I’m responsible, and I just can’t have that on my conscience,” Guyton told WWJ’s Terri Lee.

Guyton, who has a CCW permit for her 9-millimeter Smith & Wesson, said she’s disappointed in how her call was handled, especially with all the talk about guns surrounding the city’s recently released crime statistics for 2012 — numbers which show the highest murder rate in the city in nearly 20 years.

“They’re not trying to make anything a top priority, they won’t send a car out here to investigate, they won’t do anything. So, I’m stuck here not concerned about the car whatsoever. I will take the bus, you know, that’s not important. The importance here is the gun and the safety for other people,” said Guyton.

Detroit police declined to comment on the situation.

Guyton said her minivan has a Michigan license plate number ”3HZH63″ and is midnight blue in color. Anyone with information is asked to call police.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/01/05/detroiter-claims-911-call-of-stolen-van-with-gun-was-ignored/

Obama pledged and promised "hope and change"......WHERE IS IT?? I did not vote for him and told those that did I would gladly" eat my words" if we did get something from him........... Well about the only thing they demanded me to do was "eat my words" when Bin Laden was killed...........I refused because that was a no brainer no matter who was president!! I always asked people are you better off now than you was six years ago...and I always get a no response to that...instead I get what Bush did.................It is amazing with all these cities failing so bad how people continue to believe in the same idiots that have run them down in the first place.............. Real hope and change begins with the people...we are the only ones that can make this country what it once was.....we are being sucked into the very black hole that destroyed great empires of the past.............

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." by George Santayana--- The Life of Reason, Vol.1

• Upvote 2

Calling police to report the theft was the responsible thing to do.........leaving the gun under her seat, not so much. As always, just my opinion. mellow.gif

GO RV, then BV

I agree.

Not sure in her case,

but some times you have to leave the gun in the vehicle,

as some establishments do not allow guns inside.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The police response time is no suprise to me. I live in the other armpit of MI, Flint. When I first moved up here there was a string of break-ins on my street. None of the police came immediately when 911 was called. The victims I talked to had the police respond two days later. More than one house had this problem. Some kid that lives next to me was going to kill himself and took off running down the street. I called 911 for his girlfriend, but she told me later they never showed up. The police in this area are a joke. I saw an interview with a cop who said that they know what calls to take and which ones to not take so they can go home at night. Just the type of people we want enforcing our laws. I haven't met one person in Flint that has any respect for how the cops handle business here.

• Upvote 1

Well I certainly hope someone sent this to the Bradey Organization.... you know, the group who would rather a women be raped than allow an individual to own a gun.... According to them, we don't need guns and should allow the police to do their job...... Wonder what kind of snappy response they would dig up when notified that emergency response, when and if they answer the phone, put you on hold, give you a number or basically hang up on you.... cause they are really really busy people these days.

And for what its worth Crow, the office of the President of the United States doesn't have local authority or jurisdiction in determining how a city emergency response team/center should conduct business nor does it have a legal mechanism or even obligation to intervene in this case. Close as we would get on the federal level would be to call for the FBI to investigate LEO corruption, inability etc... however I doubt this event meets the threshold for federal report or response.

• Upvote 1

Calling police to report the theft was the responsible thing to do.........leaving the gun under her seat, not so much. As always, just my opinion. mellow.gif

GO RV, then BV

I concur with your opinion.

I agree.

Not sure in her case,

but some times you have to leave the gun in the vehicle,

as some establishments do not allow guns inside.

Yes, sometimes you must leave your gun in your vehicle, and I have done so many times, ie; going into the post office. But, I IMMEDIATELY re-holster my weapon upon returning to my car. Leaving it overnight in your vehicle is irresponsible and exactly the kind of thing that gives ant-gun people fuel for their argument.

A prime responsibility of any gun owner, whether it be pistol or rifle is to safeguard your weapons...leaving it in your car overnight is a definite no-no.

Edited by MrFnHappy
  • Upvote 1

I live in the other armpit of MI, Flint.

End Quote

Home of Grand Funk Railroad and Michael Moore.

It seems Michael Moore is not thought too fondly of here either. I have heard the term "liar" from more than one person. Oh, and apparently he isn't from Flint either. He is from Davidson or something like that. That was told to me by a college professor. There is a pretty strong reaction when his named is mentioned in these parts.

It seems Michael Moore is not thought too fondly of here either. I have heard the term "liar" from more than one person. Oh, and apparently he isn't from Flint either. He is from Davidson or something like that. That was told to me by a college professor. There is a pretty strong reaction when his named is mentioned in these parts.

I see.... He refers often to Flint as his hometown in his documentaries.

Ann Arbor is the greatest place on the planet......ask any Buckeye fan. On second thought......don't. biggrin.gif

GO RV, then BV

I do recall a nice town with a beautiful Campus.... It's been more than 30 years (1981).

I also recall a fantastic onion soup I ate in a family restaurant ( real simple place) in Detroit... Best one I ever had.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

Detroit has become the wild west. Worse then Chicago. couple weeks back there were 140 shootings in 15 days. 32 of them died. Hell no the cops dont want to answer calls. They dont get payed enough to die for it. If you even get close to Detroit you better be armed. Gang bangers and robberies . They want your money or they just shoot you because your in the wrong hood. Just like the wild west this could be cleaned up. By men with enough intestinal fortitude to do what truly need's to be done. But even if you could find such men now a days (and it would be tough) their hands would be tied behind there back by the bleeding hearts you dont have to live in such a sink hole. So the death tally rises on a daily basis. And we are told by the mass media that we dont really need our weapons. The police are running scared and the bad guys know it. If they wont answer a call for help then it`s up to us to help ourselves.