Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

SHTF Survival Tips

krome2ez

I thought it would be cool

if we could bring to one thread

different SHTF survival tips.

It's not my idea, but I'll start with this one:

My BOB Has A Secret…And It Isn’t Pretty.

By Joe on January 7, 2013

If you are heading out for a weekend camping trip or a disaster is on its way and you need to hoof it on foot to get out of dodge make sure you always have a few pair of these in your gear:

mantyhose-210x336.jpg

That’s right the secret weapon in my Bug out Bag is pantyhose… er maybe I should call them Man-tyhose.

pantyhose-egg.jpg

It might not be a very manly thing to carry and I get a few funny looks when I step up to the counter at CVS with a pair of Pantyhose… but this is survival planning and you looking manly is trumped by being prepared.

Not only are these cheap to buy but there are dozens of alternative uses for them and they take up practically no space. Check out the list below for a small sampling of what these can be used for:

•You can wear pantyhose as extra layer beneath your normal clothes to keep warm in cold weather.

•Use pantyhose to prevent bites and stings. Wear pantyhose under your shorts or pants to protect against chiggers, ticks, and other biting insects.

•If you are going to be trekking through water, wear them to protect yourself from jellyfish stings and leaches.

•Stretch a pair of pantyhose over a “Y” shaped branch or stick and use as a skimmer or a fishing net. You won’t catch a 10lb catfish in this, but you may be able to pick up a few smaller fish to eat or use as bait for a larger fish.

•Use pantyhose to secure bait while fishing. Place bait in the pantyhose and secure it to a tree or anything sturdy in order to to keep from losing bait while fishing.

•Use pantyhose as a pouch or bag to carry things.

•Use pantyhose to fasten or bind things together instead of twine or bungee cords.

•You can use pantyhose as a belt to keep your pants hiked up.

•In first aid, you can utilize pantyhose as a tourniquet or to hold and/or secure a bandage or hot and cold pack.

•Use pantyhose as a first round filter to strain any collected water. The water will still need to be treated or boiled but this first line of defense will help to clear the water of any large particles.

•Use pantyhose to prevent blisters. I saw a lot of comments in one of my previous articles about using pantyhose to keep your feet blister free and I just wanted to highlight it again here. Cut the feet off of a pair of pantyhose at the ankles and wear them under your socks. They will help cut down on the friction between your shoe and your foot, thus reducing the risk of blisters.

Pantyhose look terrible on men… plain and simple, but they were never designed for us but the great thing about them is that they are extremely stretchy and most have a sizing guide so that you can take a guess at the size you should buy.

I’m not saying that these should be worn on a regular basis, but in a survival situation the benefit of having those in your pack outweigh any blow that your pride may take when purchasing them. And if you really can’t break down and buy a pair of them for yourself, I’ve actually seen a few places that sell them in camouflage for the real manly man.

Or if you have the extra cash you can always buy underarmour, but when you can get 10 pair of pantyhose for the cost of 1 pair of underarmour, I would rather save my money for something else.

These are just a few examples of what a little ingenuity can bring you in a survival situation; can you think of a few more that I may have missed?

http://www.survivallife.com/2013/01/07/my-bob-has-a-secret-and-it-isnt-pretty/

• Upvote 8

***///

not a SHTF scenario, but....

can be stretched over the vacuum nozzle and used to catch a

lost contac lens or

stone that fell out of a diamond ring (hard to see to find, that one!),

other small item you may have dropped and can't find....

have used this trick to:

gather up beads/pearls from a broken necklace,

locate gold post earring backs,

retrieve things under the bed or

from behind tight spaces (dropped a ring behind a dresser once),

stuff under the car seats...

Hand-held vac could also be used, not just regular vacuum .

***///

Panty hose static cling...?

rub 'em down with a Bounce dryer sheet.

crotch rot from that nylon panel..?

cut out the crotch area -- inside the seam line so it wont 'run'....

(some have a cotton panel, but still have the nylon on the other side, so

that's dumb cause you'll still get the crotch rot) :lol:

strain paint,

fill with fresh coffee beans, hit with rock/hammer, make coffee,

mask-in-a-minute (we did this to a guy staring at us in traffic once with knee-hi's)

fun-'knee'eeee...! :lol: works for hold-ups, too.

and

made a great Quasimodo-the-Hunchback mask for a nephew one Halloween!

(just be sure to pull it backward a bit once on to pull the nose and eye upward)

Creepy! :P

fill w/ compost - cut small holes - stick bean, 'tater or 'mater plants thru the holes

and hang up for a great planter,

makes for strong tie-downs,

instant handcuffs/hobbles til the cops get there.

stretch around lower 1/2 of bird cage to keep seeds from making a mess,

we keep one in the car:

can be used to replace a belt under the hood until you can get to a repair shop!

fill with nuts n' bolts or marbles and swing as a weapon,

fill toes with nuts n' bolts or marbles, tie off and swing and launch as

a bolo to trip a fleeing suspect,

Lead an animal if you don't have a rope.

need an instant drain trap?....

shove partway into drain, duct tape edge for a quick remedy!

wrap each christmas tree ornament in tissue and slide down into legs and

hang in closet until next year (less space than boxes of stuff everywhere),

old boot camp trick:

heat up shoe polish with lighter, use pantyhose to apply, and

another pantyhose to buff -- GREAT SHINE!

we could go on and on ---

:D Pantyhose: Gotta love 'em! :D

• Upvote 5

ROFL, panty hose, I use them to hold up 7/11's. :P Just kidding!

We do use them in the fall when we harvest our onions from the garden, drop in an onion, tie a knot, drop in an onion, tie a knot, etc. Then you have an onion string to hang in the cellar, and just cut off however many you want to cook with, while the rest continue to dry in storage. It does keep them separated nice and the bugs off. :D I suppose you could use them for storing garlic as well, but we braid ours together because it looks cooler! :P LOVE GARLIC!!!

• Upvote 3

How about the ubiquitous Bandana?

Bandanas are wonderfully versatile items for hikers, campers and other adventurers. I generally carry at least two; one is in a pocket or tied to a pack strap for quick access and the other is in the survival kit.

Tying a bandana on a backpack strap where it is easy to reach makes it handy for the sniffles when hiking in colder weather, or for wiping sweat at other times.

A bandana can be used:

• as a strainer for water around the inlet of a water filtration system to strain out silt

• for hygiene (as a washcloth or towel)

• worn under a hat or alone to protect the head and neck from the sun

• as a way to obtain water in an emergency—drag it through grass in the mornings to gather the dew, wring it out into a container, repeat

• as a headband to keep sweat out of your eyes and can be dampened to wear around your neck to cool you on hot days

• as an excellent first aid item to staunch blood flow or to use to tie a splint or sling

• as a marker or flag to signal rescuers (if it is brightly colored)

• as it was originally intended, as a handkerchief

It is even reported on an out-of-doors related web site that bandanas were used by a woman on a hot day outing who had overdressed that morning and didn’t have a cooler top to wear. She tied two bandanas together—one knot tied between her breasts and one knot at her back—another good reason to carry two!

• Upvote 2

How about the ubiquitous Bandana?

Bandanas are wonderfully versatile items for hikers, campers and other adventurers. I generally carry at least two; one is in a pocket or tied to a pack strap for quick access and the other is in the survival kit.

Tying a bandana on a backpack strap where it is easy to reach makes it handy for the sniffles when hiking in colder weather, or for wiping sweat at other times.

A bandana can be used:

• as a strainer for water around the inlet of a water filtration system to strain out silt

• for hygiene (as a washcloth or towel)

• worn under a hat or alone to protect the head and neck from the sun

• as a way to obtain water in an emergency—drag it through grass in the mornings to gather the dew, wring it out into a container, repeat

• as a headband to keep sweat out of your eyes and can be dampened to wear around your neck to cool you on hot days

• as an excellent first aid item to staunch blood flow or to use to tie a splint or sling

• as a marker or flag to signal rescuers (if it is brightly colored)

• as it was originally intended, as a handkerchief

It is even reported on an out-of-doors related web site that bandanas were used by a woman on a hot day outing who had overdressed that morning and didn’t have a cooler top to wear. She tied two bandanas together—one knot tied between her breasts and one knot at her back—another good reason to carry two!

I never leave home with out one. Good one TK

Well my contrabution to this is a obvious one. A sharp jack knife . Just a simple folder for the small work. But mighty handy

• Upvote 2

Vinegar has been around for thousands of years. It has been used in food preservation, medicinal therapies, cleaning solutions around the home, as an insect repellant, and for increasing garden production. It is one of the most versatile--and cheap--natural substances around. In addition, it contains protein, fiber, carbohydrates, calcium, phosphorous, iron, potassium, vitamins A and D, folic acid, zinc, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, and vitamin C, making it unsurpassed in nutritional value as well.

Most of us are familiar with the two basic vinegars in stores today--white distilled and apple cider. However, many more varieties are out there. Every type of vinegar is a little bit different, but all of them offer powerful benefits. Here are just a few that you'll learn about in our free report:

Vinegar has been used to help people store food safely for centuries. Not only can you preserve food through the process of pickling, but it can help you ward off food poisoning and malnutrition as well.

Vinegar is considered by many to be able to attack and kill harmful bacteria which have invaded the digestive tract.

Some doctors suggest regular vinegar be used to prevent food poisoning.

Vinegar has incredible healing properties. It's a natural antibiotic, antiseptic, and antifungal agent.

Vinegar can be used to treat burns.

Because vinegar contains tryptophan, consuming regular quantities of it can help you ward off depression.

Vinegar is just as good at destroying pathogens around your home as bleach.

Vinegar can be an effective insect repellent against ants, fleas, mosquitos, flies, and spiders.

And so much more...
  • Upvote 2