Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Feds Kill the 75W Incadescent Light Bulb

krome2ez

Just stocked up on some 75W and 100W bulbs today.

Stores can continue to sell those in stock till gone.

Have you read the warnings on the "green" bulbs?

If broken, your told to have some one licensed in HazMat disposal to remove the broken bulb.

Are you frigg'n kidding me?

Happy New Year:

Feds Kill 75W Incandescent Light Bulbs

by Ben Shapiro 1 Jan 2013, 6:56 AM PDT

Lightbulb.png

Beginning today, the 75-watt incandescent lightbulb has been banned from production and importation in the United States. That’s right – as soon as stores clear their shelves of their current stock, you won’t be able to buy a 75-watt incandescent lightbulb anymore. Why? Let Consumer Reports’ Celia Kuperzmid-Lehrman explain:

90 percent of the energy the bulb uses is wasted, so what they replaced them with are much more energy-efficient bulbs which as just as bright, just as good and will actually save you money over the long run.

“Over the long run.” The new light bulbs are significantly more expensive than the old incandescent version, so you’ll have to shell out more cash up front. And if you don’t want to do that, you can sit in the dark.

Under current federal law, 60 watt and 40 watt bulbs will be gone by 2014. We’ll instead have to buy Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) or Light-Emitting Diode bulbs (LEDs). Only the slightly more expensive versions don’t hum or emit cold-looking light.

link

• Upvote 1

the silly part of this is the new bulbs do not put out the same amount of light---they cost more and the life time is about the same as an incandescent bulb--have tried both myself--they coat more then the old bulbs for less light for about the same life--now here is the killer part ---the new bulbs contain mercury and a couple of other toxic ingredients that must be disposed as a toxic Material --in other word you can't just throw them away!

LOL! government at work --people trusting the government---instead of themselves!LOL!

people have passed the line of no return --they just don't read or can't read,or don't care or just don't want to take their own control of their lives anymore!

This is not just the US it is world wide--a ram here a flock of sheep there and the cliff just ahead of them

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

To be honest, an incandescent lamp,(light bulb), only puts out light as a "side effect".

It's main job is to produce heat.

The problem is the ban was very premature.

What isn't printed are all the problems with the CFL's.

That big round base is actually an electronic ballast, it converts the 110 volts to 3000 volts, and even though it is current limiting if you happen to stick your finger in a live socket you wont appreciate the fact you just got hammered by less than 2 milliamps.

A short circuit is a non-issue if your home is brand new.

Older homes have distribution issues that can exacerbate a CFL's failure.

One of the biggest problems is the CFL's have a very narrow operating range, the gas will condense in the cold.

If you are replacing a burned out incandescent, and it is in a area that frequently gets below 40 degrees, use a LED, the cold actually helps them dissipate the heat generated in the LED driver.

If you want a brighter light, use lamps with a 3500k kelvin rating or above.

I have had success designing 4000k LED systems for everything from retail to restaurants, to custom kitchens.

• Upvote 3

Here in Thailand we have been using compacts for years due to the cost of electric. Natural sunlight bulbs work great. On the other hand I was just told that as of Jan. 1st they will no longer sell gasoline and everyone must buy fuel from plants. They will detune my car for free.

The Fed eliminating regular light bulbs.

Guess what ? Now everybody in the USA with dimmers will have CFLs that won't dim.

Have you ever bought a dimmer for a florescent ? They are not cheap.

Or you will need to buy special CFLs that dim.

Do you have enclosed light fixtures ?

Guess what ? Those new long life CFL's won't last as long ! (read below)

Got a ceiling fan ? Your going to have problems with the CFL and vibrations (read below)

Live in a area that gets below freezing ? More problems. (read below)

Fire problems ? Your house burns down.

Compact fluorescent lamps, which will gradually replace traditional incandescent bulbs, are a fire hazard that could burn down your home, experts have warned.

But when a CFL can no longer produce light, the electronics in its base will still try to function, sometimes leading to overheating, smoke and fire.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2011/12/382161/#ArbhH8Xefzwov3rU.99

Most CFLs are made in China. That means US bulb companies can not compete.

More lost jobs and factories closing.

COMMUNISTFLAG.gif

There is only one CFL manufacturer, Lights of America, whose bulbs are assembled in the US. But many of their parts come from off-shore. All the major brands, Sylvania, GE, Philips, Maxlite, Westinghouse, TCP, Feit, Greenlite, Satco and Globe to name a few, have their bulbs made off-shore.

Doesn't disposal of mercury-based products harm the environment?

Yes, mercury is classified as a hazardous material by the US Environmental Protection Agency and CFLs should be recycled instead of being thrown out with the normal trash.

Can CFLs be used in totally enclosed fixtures?

Yes, but with some qualifications. The life of CFLs will be reduced if they are operated at higher than normal temperatures. Therefore, they can be used in totally enclosed fixtures, including vapor-tight fixtures, as long as you do not use a high power CFL, and the temperature outside the fixture is not too high. I have successfully used 25-watt CFLs (light output equivalent to 100-watt incandescent lamps) in large vapor tight fixtures, but these lamps were installed in a relatively cool area. If the fixture is small, or if the fixture is installed in areas with high temperature, such as Phoenix, the power rating of the CFLs should be limited to 15 watts or less.

http://www.cflfacts.com/

CFLs have a few limitations: they don't do well in cold temperatures, vibration will shorten their life, and you must buy specially marked CFLs if you plan to use them outdoors, in fully enclosed fixtures, or on dimmer circuits.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't use CFLs in ceiling fans. They move around too much, and you'll be disappointed when your bulb wears out prematurely. Outdoor CFLs are weatherized, and are usually enclosed in a secondary enclosure to improve their cold weather performance. But don't expect miracles: CFLs like being warm, and their efficiency drops with the temperature.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home...live-with-cfls

• Upvote 3

Yeah I bought three cases of them. I dont like the new ones.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

If ya'll read the fine print, you would know that if every household stopped using incandescents (the old ones) then we wouold not have to build more coal fired power plants. The ones that put mercury into the air that your kids breathe. Better I have to clean up a little mercury dust from a broken flourescent than breathe it every day.

This is the ignorance that happens when you watch FOX.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

If ya'll read the fine print, you would know that if every household stopped using incandescents (the old ones) then we wouold not have to build more coal fired power plants. The ones that put mercury into the air that your kids breathe. Better I have to clean up a little mercury dust from a broken flourescent than breathe it every day.

It`s good that you know where I stand Hame and it`s good that I know where you stand.

The ignorance part is pretty much debatable though.

Data Source:

The California Statewide Residential Appliance Saturation Study, 2004. Numbers have been rounded off to make the relative magnitudes easier to perceive, and any errors in the calculations are my own.

Total Electricity usage (all applications) per year for comparison:

USA 12,000 kWh per capita

California 8,000 kWh per capita

Average of SC Edison and San Diego Gas and Electric

Household electricity use: 6,000 kWh per household per year for 3 residents average per household. So the household use per capita is 2,000 kWh or about ¼ of per capita electricity from all applications.

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs and Other Electricity Savings

The first thing we can do in the house is to replace all lighting with Compact Fluorescent Bulbs, which take only ¼ of the power for the same light. Since

lighting is 22% of home electricity, removing ¾ of it saves 17% or 1/6 of the total 6,000 kWh, leaving only 5,000 kWh of household electricity. At $0.10 per kWh, this gives a yearly savings of $100. This is where more energy efficient appliances and air conditioning come in, as well as solar adaptation by awnings, tinted or upgraded windows and use of fans to lessen the cooling needs of the house. Getting rid of a second fridge, replacing an old one, turning off equipment when not in use, and avoiding 400 watt plasma screen televisions also help.

http://www.physics.uci.edu/~silverma/actions/HouseholdEnergy.html

For saving an average of 27 cents per day, I'll stick with the cheaper safer incadescent bulb.

And until some break through in solar power, hydrogen power, or you libs ok more nuclear power plants,

we will need coal fired power plants to meet American's need and demand of electricity.

Edited by krome2ez