Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

New York newspaper faces backlash after publishing map of gun permit holders

Neapolitan

New York newspaper faces backlash after publishing map of gun permit holders

Published December 25, 2012

FoxNews.com

A local New York newspaper is drawing the ire of its readers after publishing an interactive map that shows the names and addresses of thousands of residents who have handgun permits.

The online map was published by The Journal News along with an article under the headline: "The gun owner next door: What you don't know about the weapons in your neighborhood."

The newspaper obtained, and then published, the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The article, in explaining the decision to publish the information, pointed to the school massacre in nearby Newtown, Conn., and the concerns of some residents about which of their neighbors might have firearms.

But readers swiftly condemned the move. They pointed out that the interactive map could make the gun owners a target, but also make clear to would-be robbers which homes do not contain a gun.

"Do you fools realize that you also made a map for criminals to use to find homes to rob that have no guns in them to protect themselves?" one reader wrote on Facebook.

"You have just destroyed the privacy of these law abiding citizens and by releasing this list, you have equated them to that of sex offenders and murders," wrote another. "These are law abiding gun owners, they are no danger to anyone except for criminals. And with this information you have made them targets for both criminals and anti gun lobbyist who i am sure are going to treat them like monsters."

The newspaper, in a written statement, defended the decision to run the names.

"The massacre in Newtown remains top-of-mind for many of our readers," the statement said. "In the past week, conversation on our opinion pages and on our website, LoHud.com, has been keenly focused on gun control.

"Our readers are understandably interested to know about guns in their neighborhoods. We obtained the names and addresses of Westchester and Rockland residents who are licensed to own handguns through routine Freedom of Information law public-records requests."

The map showed the locations of pistol permit holders -- though did not specify whether those shown actually owned a weapon. Since rifles and shotguns can be bought without a permit, that information was not included.

The newspaper separately noted that the reporter on the story "owns a Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Magnum and has had a residence permit in New York City for that weapon since February 2011."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/25/new-york-newspaper-faces-backlash-after-publishing-map-gun-permit-holders/#ixzz2G79iHAKR

• Upvote 1

i hear ya ....now that the criminals know who is not armed .. they will have a field day .. and they can rob those houses that do have weapons .. enabling criminals to obtain weapons illegally ..

law siuts should shut down those ignorant tubs

i guess its time for everyone to arm up now

Edited by dontlop
  • Upvote 1

The people that should be really upset is the ones that don't own guns. Now every criminal in the area knows which houses to hit...

-

i agree .. but they can stake out the homes where they know they have guns .. and when they leave . they can steal their weapons ,, and use those stolen weapons for crimes ..

what do gun grabbers get out of it .. they get to harass law abiding citizens ..for doing absolutly nothing wrong but keeping criminals at bay ..

Someone should make public all of the names and addresses of all the people responsible for this story. Find out their gun ownership status and publish whether they own a gun or not and let it be known as well. Perhaps show up in bus loads, like the union thugs do, at the houses of these people. Let them know their stupidity will not go unanswered. Actions have consequences.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

THe Newspaper's response:

The newspaper, in a written statement, defended the decision to run the names.

"The massacre in Newtown remains top-of-mind for many of our readers," the statement said. "In the past week, conversation on our opinion pages and on our website, LoHud.com, has been keenly focused on gun control.

"Our readers are understandably interested to know about guns in their neighborhoods. We obtained the names and addresses of Westchester and Rockland residents who are licensed to own handguns through routine Freedom of Information law public-records requests."

These people are incontrovertibly guilty of advocating the hysteria/knee jerk reaction of "control", (which will never bring about the desired result), and then taking it one dangerous step further by irresponsibly putting both gun owners and non-owners in harm's way. How reprehensible, the act of justifying this compromise of people's safety with the dismissive statement of "people being interested as to who in the neighborhood owns guns". Its morally shameful and intellectually stupid. If this simplistic statement were true, why didn't the dill weeds publishing this information take into account that long guns do not have to be registered. There is no such accounting for them... so how in the hellll can people be truly informed as to who in the neighborhood owns guns.

I don't think there is an ounce of truth in this justification, nor do I think this was the motivator for the story. Instead, they threw out something they hoped was plausible in excusing their need to have yet one more angle on a story growing cold, throw one more log on a fire burning low, and keep the interest of their readers in giving them fresh info in this exclusive view. I don't see one brain cell of thought or consideration in publishing who does and does not own hand guns, in the area. They have painted different targets on both the owner and non-owner.

I can only hope and God forbid, that should someone in this area end up in harms way, that everyone will remember the source publishing this information, and hold them both morally and financially responsible for their decision to take this to press.

• Upvote 2

Well at least the people that dont have guns know where to run when the bad guys break in and rob them, and then do the unimaginative to their family. Maybe next they will be saying disarm the military or ambasitor's in in other country's like Benghazi. Already I feel uncomfortable to watch a war movie like the ones I grew up on in front of my boy. Or Play cowboys and Indians, video games, or even when my boy puts his finger up like he's shot me. I feel like the child protective services are going to rush in and take my boy away. Some exaggeration.

• Upvote 1

just wondering if we should get rid of cars or not .. About 360 people are killed each year in police chases, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration...

people are getting killed by criminals who if there wasnt any cars wouldnt be getting killed .. do ya think its the cars ...?

those cars seem to be killing innocent people

Yep, damage is done. Now, perhaps in a concerted effort, all the remaining households should file for permit registration... blanketing both counties with 100% coverage! Safest counties in the country!! They wouldn't necessarily have to buy a gun... just be registered... criminals move on! ;)

• Upvote 1