Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Sales of Bulletproof Backpacks Skyrocket

umbertino

Marc Lallanilla

Date: 19 December 2012 Time: 05:06 PM ET

A Utah company specializing in bulletproof armor for military and police officers is now seeing unprecedented demand for what was once a novelty item: bulletproof backpacks for children.

Amendment II, based in Salt Lake City, Utah, formerly sold a handful of children's backpacks with an insert of the company's "RynoHide" armor at gun shows. But since the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., interest in the protective backpacks has spiked to the point where the company's website has crashed several times, according to Fox 13 News.

Rich Brand, Amendment II's chief operating officer, emphasized his company is not trying to profit from the recent school shooting, which left 20 children and eight adults dead — the backpacks have been available for over a year. "Never did we expect this to occur," Brand told Fox 13 News. "This isn't what we want. This isn't what we intended."

There is now a waitlist for the backpacks, which sell for $150 to $300 and are capable of stopping a bullet from a .357 Magnum handgun, Brand told Fox 13 News.

Not all parents, however, are enthusiastic about buying protective gear to protect their children from shooters. "[A] child always having to think about that and be prepared for that every day as they get ready for school would be way over the top," Utah resident Laron Zaugg told Fox 13 News.

http://www.livescience.com/25691-bulletproof-backpacks-rynohide-amendment.html

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

umbertino

Good info, Umbertino, thanks.

I wasn't aware of these. While we would like to think there are ways to stop the maddness of school shootings,....more effective, "useful" backpacks might add to all the solutions we need to find. If they last more than 1 school year, (which regular ones don't)...then they could be cost effective.

I'd say bullet proof back packs might be less of an extravagance than those expensive I-phones w/internet access. The learning curve of a kid on how to gain benefit of their backpack in a crisis wouldn't be that hard. Would seem to be more effective than crawling under our desk to practice nuclear bomb attacks in the Cold War Days!!! I know,..I'm old.....

I have a beautiful 8 year old daughter. I send her to school everyday. At first i thought...better than living with what if she did not have one and something unthinkable happened....then i thought...if i have to send my daughter to school wearing bulletproof anything then I should just keep her home.

How would you feel if every time you went to the mall or grocery shopping or to the movies you were to wear bulletproof how would you feel? I do not mean our men and women that have chosen to have a career in law enforcement...I mean just doing your everyday errands and entertainment.

It just is so sad that we even have to consider this subject....so sad for our country

• Upvote 2

I have a beautiful 8 year old daughter. I send her to school everyday. At first i thought...better than living with what if she did not have one and something unthinkable happened....then i thought...if i have to send my daughter to school wearing bulletproof anything then I should just keep her home.

How would you feel if every time you went to the mall or grocery shopping or to the movies you were to wear bulletproof how would you feel? I do not mean our men and women that have chosen to have a career in law enforcement...I mean just doing your everyday errands and entertainment.

It just is so sad that we even have to consider this subject....so sad for our country

It's sad "that they allow the sales of blood and gore video games to young minds :angry: .If you ever seen one it's pretty grahic. <_<

I am puzzled dog53. While I enjoy reading your posts, I do not understand why you constantly badger umbertino ? I like his posts as well, but I see nothing wrong with this article. True if you do not like it you have the right to say so, but why add the digs ??

pp

Ok sense your Canadian or at least I will assume so in regards for your avatar. You may not know that some times in our culture we do this thing that's called. Ok let me digress

In the 40`s it was called pulling ones leg

50`s Just ribbing ya

60`s I'm just messin with your head.

70`s Playing with ya man

80`s F#%$ing with ya man

90`s Chill Bro It`s all good

00`s the younger generation will have to take over at this point.

Umberto like`s to post a lot of commie ideas that come directly from commie web sites so yes I like to screw with Umbert

But not in a hateful way there are a lot of things I respect about Umbert (his politic`s not being one of them ) His love for good music, his gentleness actually . We talked about it once he a pacifist that wouldn't harm a fly. He`s very well traveled and very intelligent and always eager to find out about new places. There`s actually a lot I like about umbert. So before you make judgment and before you start throwing stones. Ask your self this simple question. Am I assuming that I know a person Just because I have read a few of their post. Hell even Umbert doesn't know I'm just messing with him most the time cause he doesn't really get the concept. Ain't that right my little Pinko pal. (oops there I go again. ) Anyway the idea that people will panic and start buying bullet proof back Packs for the kids . I find ridiculous My opinion only. With that being said may I add " Better dead then red" smile.gif

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It seems only natural that a widely publicized tragedy like the most recent school shooting would raise awareness in parents minds of their children's safety. Texas has taken an interesting approach to it by changing their laws so that now teachers may be armed (of course with appropriate training etc...) to protect themselves and their students. hmmmmmmm