Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Democrats to push for tougher gun controls

yota691

Democrats to push for tougher gun controls

BY BY PETER FOSTER, LONDON DAILY TELEGRAPH DECEMBER 16, 2012 5:16 PM

President Barack Obama leaves the podium after speaking about the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., Friday, Dec. 14, 2012, in the briefing room of the White House in Washington. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

Senior Democrats promised to introduce a Bill banning assault weapons Sunday as pressure mounted on Barack Obama to take concrete action to reduce the likelihood of a repeat of the Connecticut elementary school massacre.

A Bill to restrict the use and sale of weapons such as the high-powered Bushmaster. 223 that coroners said killed many of the children at Sandy Hook, will be introduced in the next session of Congress, Dianne Feinstein, a senior Democrat Senator, promised.

“It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession. Not retroactively but prospectively. And it will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets,” she told NBC News, adding that she expected Obama to support the Bill.

The move, which would essentially revive the Bill Clinton-era assault weapons ban that was allowed to lapse in 2004, is expected to be highly controversial with the powerful gun lobby and politicians whose constituents cling fiercely to their Second Amendment gun rights.

Obama almost entirely ducked the issue in his first term because it would have cost him votes in the key battleground states — Florida, Virginia and Ohio — which secured his re-election last month, but only by a collective tally of about 250,000 votes.

Chuck Schumer, another senior Democrat senator, said he believed that a deal could be done, but it would require both camps to show flexibility.

Obama’s support for a revival of the ban is still seen as critical in ensuring that the outrage currently galvanizing the gun laws debate is not allowed to dissipate without effect, as it has after countless recent mass shootings.

Michael Bloomberg, the mayor of New York, argued that gun reform should be “No. 1” on the president’s agenda.

“If he does nothing during his second term, something like 48,000 Americans will be killed with illegal guns. That is roughly the number of Americans killed in the whole Vietnam War,” he said.

As an alternative, Joe Lieberman, an independent senator from Connecticut, called for a national 9/11-style “commission on mass violence” to find ways to reduce future shootings.

However gun control remains a deeply polarizing issue. Some of the other side of the debate, including William Bennett, Ronald Reagan’s former education secretary, argued that the Sandy Hook shootings made the case for more guns, not fewer. He said he believed schools should possibly consider arming some employees to prevent future attacks.

“The principal lunged at this guy. The school psychologist lunged at the guy,” Bennett said. “It has to be someone who’s trained, responsible. But, my God, if you can prevent this kind of thing, I think you ought to.”

Louie Gohmert, a Republican congressman from Texas, said “an open mind” was needed, arguing that if the school’s principal, Dawn Hochsprung, had been armed the situation could have turned out differently. “I wish to God she had had an M4 in her office locked up and so when she heard gunshots she takes his head off before he can hurt those kids,” he told Fox News.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Democrats+push+tougher+controls/7707028/story.html#ixzz2FGoIB6jU

• Upvote 3

I just watched the address by the President at New Town. I am sure those on both sides will be squawking and howling but make sure you are prepared to tell those who have lost children, and loved ones that you have a right to have an assault wpn. I am sure you will get an favorable response from them. If any of those stand against the gun control measures that will come up in congress can kiss their political careers good bye.

• Downvote 12

68597_528844427140129_1537133420_n.jpg A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. >From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this antigun-control message to all of your friends.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!

SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.

SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

IT'S A NO BRAINER!

DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

Spread the word everywhere you can that you are a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment!

It's time to speak loud before they try to silence and disarm us.

You're not imagining it, history shows that governments always manipulate tragedies to attempt to disarm the people~

• Upvote 17

Yeah I think we all saw this coming. Here we go again. If you dont own one you better get one in the next few weeks. Walmarts got some pretty good deals going.

Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced Carbine ODG with Rifle Bag

30409-DEFAULT-L.jpg

Yeah, but you can miss with that. I have a 10 gauge that holds 6- 3 1/2 magnums and you will never miss. It will also still be legal. Its not the guns that kill people. I do remember years back when a wingnut opened fire on a school playground with an AK and 100 rounds and wounded 1 child. My first thought was thank the lord he did not have a shotgun. When they take away our rights to own guns no country will be afraid to invade. My rant, and JMO.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, but you can miss with that. I have a 10 gauge that holds 6- 3 1/2 magnums and you will never miss. It will also still be legal. Its not the guns that kill people. I do remember years back when a wingnut opened fire on a school playground with an AK and 100 rounds and wounded 1 child. My first thought was thank the lord he did not have a shotgun. When they take away our rights to own guns no country will be afraid to invade. My rant, and JMO.

#1 I never miss smile.gif

#2 your 10 Ga has a max effective range of about 60 yards and thats pushing it. The .223 has a effective range of a 1000 meters

and yes you can miss with a shotgun just like any gun espeicaly when someone is trying to take you out.

"its not the gun that kills people" ? Ahhh yeah a 10 ga will kill you deader then hell hahahahahaha

Anyway glad to have you on board on our side. You are a true american +1 man

• Upvote 4

When are these MORON'S in Washington going to every figure out that it is not the gun's fault for what is happening.. An AR 15 did not just wake up and decide to go talk to a mentally unstable boy and talk him into committing a hanus crime...If someone is unstable enough to figure out how to commit a crime that results in massave deaths of innocent people that person is going to do it... Just like in China the very same day when some guy with a knife injured and killed 22 childern and 6 adults. is it the knife's fault that this crime happened???? It is just amazing to see how many people who are blantly open to see through the death of this nation, why cant the peaceful, freedom loving americans call these people out and tar and feather them, exile them from ever returning to this country. With all of these traitors calling for the death of America the I call to exile the traitors starting in our government....

• Upvote 3

i wonder how they are going to pull this off ..

we know they say republicans want dirty air and dirty water ....hmm what else do the democrats say ?

.. great big powerful democrat leadership make rules for law abiding citizens to follow .. the problem is .. thats an advantage to the criminals

• Upvote 1

Here are two ways to get in touch with your Representatives to let your voice be heard.

House of Representatives

Congress.org

There are over 80 million registered gun owners in the USA.

We must band together and demand that the Government keep their hands off the second amendment.

The left are all ready re-branding the NRA and the gun lobbyist as the bad guys that are blocking regulations that America wants.

The NRA and gun lobbyist will be neutralized and the fight will fall directly on our shoulders.

Do nothing and your right to bear arms will slowly cease to exist.

We have all seen what inactivity will bring you now is the time for action.

We have also seen what pressure can get us you may or may not been part of the pressure to to get Susan Rice

off the list of Sec.of State I was and it worked.

We must enlist all gun owners and American Patriots to active duty stand up people or lose the second amendment'

The call to duty has been issued will you please stand up and let your voice be heard loud and clear

No Surrender No Retreat and no Compromise

• Upvote 1

We all grieve for the families of those who have lost their children this past week ..., and I'm sure any society will abhor such tradegy and evil. But, here's something to think about. IF these marxists are so concerned about the children, which I'm sure in their own pea minds they are, what are they doing about millions of unborn babies that die EVERY year through abortion? I don't see them passing laws banning abortions..., do you? UHMMMMMMMM ! HYPOCRITES !!!!

• Upvote 3

I just watched the address by the President at New Town. I am sure those on both sides will be squawking and howling but make sure you are prepared to tell those who have lost children, and loved ones that you have a right to have an assault wpn. I am sure you will get an favorable response from them. If any of those stand against the gun control measures that will come up in congress can kiss their political careers good bye.

You never stand for nothing do you TP

Always the path of least resistance. Go with flow Spray Duster

I am starting to believe that you are a White House propagandist you are always preaching Compliance and Surrender

• Upvote 4

***///

They need to address the issue of kooks that

use guns to commit these atrocities.

Anyone recall how the libs screamed about rights for crazy people and

insisted they all be let out to roam free?

They squawked about how it was inhumane to keep these crazies locked up.

They've made it SO hard for anyone to have an unstable person safely put

in a controlled environment for their - and our - safety these days.

Now they sleep on our streets, shoot us, rob us, harm themselves and are

an even bigger drain on our system than if they were safely housed in a

proper facility.

Judges hands are tied by the liberal ideology that nuts have rights, too.

Sure they have rights, but we have the right to be protected from them.

Thanks again, liberal do-gooders.

This is on YOU.

• Upvote 1

Just my thoughts, I for one have educated my children on Guns, target practice, hunting game, cleaning and locking guns and putting away in a safe place. If you educate people, teach to shoot and respect weapons they are fine. People are afraid of guns because they can kill, well so can cars, drugs, skydiving, motorcycles, 4 wheelers are we going to ban them also. My feeling is if we test to see if your sane and you can think clearly, Teach and test to shoot, teach what a gun can do and it danger and supply a permit to carry in open a weapon a lot of this craziness will stop. Are you going to rob a store when you no theres 30 others in there with Guns I DON'T THINK SO. If the principle was trained with a gun and had one in on her person it may have been a different out come. Think about it , ya don't take guns away from law bidding people so only the crazes have them. Criminals don't live by the law they break it all the time. Gun laws and bans is not the answer. Education is the answer. And get help for the mental ones on the street. :huh:

• Upvote 2

Pretty sure none of our Founding Fathers had an M-16. I guess the 2nd amendment covers dirty bombs and nukes, as well......if you can afford them, that is. dry.gif

Those beautiful children, cornered in a room with a madman......who never had to reload or blink between victims. Assault weapons serve no other purpose than the death of many in one fell swoop.

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 7

Pretty sure none of our Founding Fathers had an M-16. I guess the 2nd amendment covers dirty bombs and nukes, as well......if you can afford them, that is. dry.gif

Those beautiful children, cornered in a room with a madman......who never had to reload or blink between victims. Assault weapons serve no other purpose than the death of many in one fell swoop.

GO RV, then BV

We cant own M-16`s Shab . You sound like Janet reno the day she picked out which guns wound up on the assault weapons ban as she walked down beside a long table with guns laying on it. " ooooh that looks like a bad one and that one does not look good."

hahaha Don't know anything about them. Nothing about ballistic`s or calibers. Just " I don't like the looks of that one" hahahaha. It was so ridiculous and it still is. a semi auto 30.06 Remington 750 woodsmaster will out perform any AK 47 made yet Reno pass that one by cause it wasn't ugly like the rest and has pretty wood on it. Their assault weapon ban was a frigging Joke

• Upvote 1

We cant own M-16`s Shab . You sound like Janet reno the day she picked out which guns wound up on the assault weapons ban as she walked down beside a long table with guns laying on it. " ooooh that looks like a bad one and that one does not look good."

hahaha Don't know anything about them. Nothing about ballistic`s or calibers. Just " I don't like the looks of that one" hahahaha. It was so ridiculous and it still is. a semi auto 30.06 Remington 750 woodsmaster will out perform any AK 47 made yet Reno pass that one by cause it wasn't ugly like the rest and has pretty wood on it. Their assault weapon ban was a frigging Joke

Please excuse my ineptness Dog. I was trying to make a point about assault weapons and out founding fathers.......nothing more, nothing less. I was simply drawing back on my military service....SPORTS. I don't own an assault weapon.....figured they belonged on the battlefield, not in my closet. My choice, not yours.

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 1

17770_403659359713232_333877845_n.jpg

I posted this in another thread but I think it fits here also!!angry.gif

EXTREMELY IRONIC Bumper!!!!!

I bet they are all highpowered assault rifles with large clips too.

Maybe our president and mayor of new york should travel with their security details with no guns at all.

I bet they would refuse to go anywhere then. Nobody would question them why unfortuneately because if

They were honest they would say they want the armed security.

Also very interesting about Switzerland you added in earlier post on this thread. Learned something today

and that is also very ironic in lieu of todays news. Goes right along with Chicago on pace to oblerate their murder record

this year and they have some of the "toughest" gun control laws out there.

The way I see it right now something the government should be giving away besides all our money is guns to all

law abiding citizens and teaching all how to use them. Ive grown extremely tired off all the scumbag kooks and criminals

with all the rights they supposedly deserve causing the majority of trouble in our society. If more of them were taken out

Or left behind bars where they belong we would be better off. Just watch your local news at night. Everyone of those

Idiots with the orange jumpsuit that appears in court before the judge all have rap sheets a mile long.

Our society continues to let this go on and it shouldnt. We worry to much what their mommas think and its too late

by then. They should have been taken care of long before their "career" choice was made.

Sorry for the long rant but this continues to bug me.

Cws

• Upvote 3

GO RV, then BV

Pretty sure our founding fathers didn't have cars and trucks either, but we have no problem keeping them around. More people are killed with autos every year including children. How do we deal with that, we make sure those responsible can't get a license to drive. We don't take away EVERYONES ablility to drive.

Typical response, let's take away the rights to own certain guns from all law abiding citizens so we can prevent bad people from getting them. :confused: We all know that if someone was planning on committing mass murder we would ruin there plans by making a law to prevent them from carrying it out. They certainly wouldn't want to break the law and use a banned gun to coimmit murder.

What difference would it make if the shooter had to reload or not? He was shooting defenseless little children. He could have been carrying fifteen or more clips of ammo and a couple of hand guns, even ten round clips would have been just as deadly in the scenario that just unfolded.

The common denominator in all of these shootings is not the guns used as much as the sick mind that directed the finger to squeeze the trigger. A sick individual bent on murder can always figure out another way.

We as a country need to stop addressing the symptom and address the problem which is mental health. :twocents:

• Upvote 2

Please excuse my ineptness Dog. I was trying to make a point about assault weapons and out founding fathers.......nothing more, nothing less. I was simply drawing back on my military service....SPORTS. I don't own an assault weapon.....figured they belonged on the battlefield, not in my closet. My choice, not yours.

GO RV, then BV

Not a problem Shab I will defend your CHOICE with my very life. Cause this is America and we have choice.

• Upvote 1

Gun Sales Up After CT Shooting: Store Owner

“Yesterday was the biggest day we've seen in 20 years,” Karl Durkheimer, owner of Northwest Armory said Sunday. “Today will probably eclipse that.”

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Gun-Sales-Up-After-CT-Shooting-San-Diego-Control-Restrictions--183793111.html#ixzz2FKvSRlm4