Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

School Classes Cancelled

krome2ez

School district cancels class

so teachers can protest ‘right-to-work’

2:45 AM 12/11/2012

ed3fd778d2f649ad948311b96ce55ec0-e1355211822379.jpg

A Michigan public school district has canceled classes for all students on Tuesday, freeing teachers to protest the scheduled approval of a right-to-work bill at the state capitol.

The final version of the bill — which would make it legal for workers to buck joining a union — is expected to be signed into law by Rick Snyder, the state’s Republican governor, on Tuesday. While teachers all over the state are expected to skip work to protest the bill, a school district in southeast Michigan preemptively cancelled classes to aid its teachers’ actions.

“Due to the anticipated high absenteeism for tomorrow, Tuesday Dec. 11, the Taylor School District will be closed for students,” said district officials in a statement, as reported by The Detroit News. “No students are to report to school. …”

The school district did not respond to requests for comment.

Teachers are not the only ones pulling out all the stops to defeat right-to-work legislation. Michigan’s Democratic lawmakers met with Snyder Monday to try to convince him to veto the bill.

And President Barack Obama gave a speech to auto workers in Redford, Michigan, condemning right-to-work laws as politically motivated and uneconomical.

“These so-called right-to-work laws — they don’t have to do with economics. They have everything to do with politics,” he said. “What they’re really talking about is giving you the right to work for less money.”

If Snyder signs the bill as expected, Michigan will become the 24th right-to-work state. Proponents of the bill say it will attract businesses to Michigan, improving the state’s dismal economic outlook and reducing its 9.1 percent unemployment rate.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/11/school-district-cancels-class-so-teachers-can-protest-right-to-work/#ixzz2Eq8SCVUw

All I have to say is.......I was never allowed to skip school.....why can the teachers? They need to buckle down and teach the children and handle their union business on their own time. I am not a union member, but grew up in a union household, so I feel like I am pretty well versed. The unions have lost their way, in my opinion. They were greatly needed back in the day, when ALL people took pride in their work......now unions protect a high percentage of useless workers, looking for a free ride. dry.gif

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 10

I was watching the news yesterday and they interviewed a few protesters(teachers). Teachers said they were striking for the kids............................really! The kids were sitting at home,instead of being in class getting a government education. Wait i'm wrong the kids were getting an education...........................in extortion.-peace

All I have to say is.......I was never allowed to skip school.....why can the teachers? They need to buckle down and teach the children and handle their union business on their own time. I am not a union member, but grew up in a union household, so I feel like I am pretty well versed. The unions have lost their way, in my opinion. They were greatly needed back in the day, when ALL people took pride in their work......now unions protect a high percentage of useless workers, looking for a free ride. dry.gif

GO RV, then BV

th_smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif

• Upvote 2

GO RV, then BV

Amen, to what you are saying. It's about time that a State took this matter into their own hands. Maybe these Union Workers will actually have to work for their money now. Like you say, Unions where needed back in the day, not no more. Sheesh, could you imagine if they made it harder to get on Welfare? There would truly be an uproar going on. Unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

This "right to work" move is something that will bring jobs to Michigan, a state that has blocks and blocks of abandoned homes, foreclosed on because their economy is so miserable.

The union workers are worried about possible pay cuts and less "rights", but they don't look at the big picture and see that thousands of people have lost everything because there are no jobs thanks to the high cost of doing business there.

Less overhead for businesses equals more companies willing to set up shop which equals more jobs.

More jobs is good or bad, people? Use your flippin brains!!!

:bugs:

• Upvote 8

**///

Can there be class action lawsuit against the teachers on behalf of the children.....?

Where are all the famous lawyers on this?

Why aren't they protecting the rights of the children to an education...?!

Sounds like an easy win... it's a federal law that kids get their education, right...?

Even the illegal ones...!

Hey, Gloria Alred, you too liberal for this one...? :P

• Upvote 1

They should protest the protest by keeping their kids home from school!.............Wait a minute never mind!! ROFLMAO <_<:lol: :lol: :lol:

GO RV, then BV

Must be the Holiday season, now I've been forced to give you another plus, great post. And here I thought the CIA was unionized, my apologies Mr. Bourne. You still look tired! :lol:

• Upvote 2

In the beginning of my "working" life, I worked three jobs, consecutively and simultaneously, and all of them were "unionized" positions. It did not take long to see that the unions were working for themselves. Oh sure, they would make a grievance to keep a person on the job, but usually the person was not fulfilling their job description. And, of course, each worker was having deductions made from each paycheque to support the union.

I know that in the beginning the unions were good, a way to get people working, and keep them working, and make sure they were working in safe and healthy conditions. But industries that have been unionized for decades are giving their employees the benefits anyway, and would continue to do so even if the union was to disappear overnight. And people are more inclined to stand up for themselves and not allow the boss to ride roughshod over them. The unions are asking too much of industry and the workers when they promote work slow down or strike action that just takes people off the line or out of the workplace and makes then stand out front with signs to let every one know they are taking action. Better they take action to get the unions out and be able to work a fair day for a fair pay and not have the union dipping into their pockets, or threatening their own "members" with the prospect of dire times if the union wasn't supported in whatever action they wished to take.

I firmly believe, and have for decades, that a worker should be able to chose for themselves whether they wish to be a union member or not.

:)

smee2

• Upvote 1

This "right to work" move is something that will bring jobs to Michigan, a state that has blocks and blocks of abandoned homes, foreclosed on because their economy is so miserable.

The union workers are worried about possible pay cuts and less "rights", but they don't look at the big picture and see that thousands of people have lost everything because there are no jobs thanks to the high cost of doing business there.

Less overhead for businesses equals more companies willing to set up shop which equals more jobs.

bugs.gif/>

So would buying property be a good idea?

bugs.gif

I agree with ya Adam... but now that "the bug" is back... unsure.gif .. I'll need to get my insect spray out after putting it up for the winter... I would use my gun, but I tried that last year and went through three moniters!!! emot-shakehead.gif rolleyes.gif

• Upvote 1

Education system.......don't get me started!!!! Unions......don't get me started!!!!!!

Take away the ability to get paid NOT to work.......and you'll see all kinds of changes. It's the abuse of the system that needs to be dealt with, if that means getting rid of the unions.....then get rid of them.

I think I'll quit now......my blood pressure is rising.....grrrrrrrrr!!!!angry.gif

• Upvote 3