Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Profiting From Marijuana Legalization

Peace

Profiting From Marijuana Legalization

Comment Posted by Brittany Stepniak - Friday, November 9th, 2012

Federal law has gone up in smoke...

Presently, 18 states plus Washington D.C. have adopted state laws allowing people to use, possess, and distribute medical and recreational marijuana in a regulated market; against federal mandates.

Here's what Colorado's governor had to say about his state's decision to legalize cannabis: “The voters have spoken and we have to respect their will. This will be a complicated process, but we intend to follow through.That said, federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug so don't break out the Cheetos or Goldfish too quickly."

These aren't only 'high times' for recreational users, but small business owners as well. Experts say that, globally, this is a $300 billion business in the making. The U.S. alone will make-up about one-third of this booming industry.

From the business perspective, this could provide a strong boost to our economy. Instead of spending millions on arrest, fines, and incarceration, legalizing the drug will inject money into the economy in the form of jobs, tax revenue and profit for small businesses that sell the plant.

An astonishing 750,000 people are arrested every single year in the U.S. for a marijuana violation. Of those, about 40,000 end up in state and federal prison after being convicted of those related crimes – usually distribution.

Considering that prisoners cost taxpayers more than $32 billion a year, you'd think taxpayers would be jumping for joy at the notion that they could cut back substantially on that number by canceling at least 40,000 inmates from that equation.

Instead, we could enjoy an additional $14 billion distributed throughout our economy if the entire nation accepted the legalization of a regulated marijuana market. According to the 2010 Cata Institute paper The Budgetary Implications of Drug Prohibition, that would produce roughly $8.7 billion in tax revenues and savings.

Just take a look at California for example. The state generates at least $105 million in taxes each year for the marijuana industry alone. Hourly “budtenders” make $10-$20 an hour and the industry has opened up dozens of other positions including receptionists, growers, doctors, chefs, managers, and even delivery drivers.

Here are some more financial statistics to consider, compiled by Fiscal Times:

• $400,000 — The expected annual profits of a small 224-plant growing operation in the basement of a licensed marijuana grower in Colorado.

• $150 million – The estimated revenues of the medical marijuana industry in just manufacturing and equipment spending in 2010.

• $18.95 — The price of a paperback copy of Aunt Sandy’s Medical Marijuana Cookbook: Comfort Food for Mind and Body. Included are recipes for lemon bars, turkey with stuffing, buffalo wings, tomato bisque, chicken curry, and many more.

• $100 — The maximum fine in New York State for a first-time charge of possessing less than 25 grams of weed.

• $5,000 — The maximum fine for selling 25 grams to 4 ounces of pot in New York State. This is considered a felony and can result in up to 4 years in prison.

• $240,304 — Cost of 4 years of incarceration in a New York State prison ($60,076 a year).

• 82 percent — The proportion of the 50,000 people arrested in New York for small amounts of marijuana in 2011 who were black or Latino.

Marijuana has the potential to become one of the most profitable commodities in our modern economy. Profit margins are unprecedentedly 'high' leaving room for a minimum of a 3,400% gain, according to Wealth Daily.

• Upvote 6

My wife suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and Marijuana has helped a great deal with her pain. I believe that her pain is helped and the U.S. economy can be helped by taxing this product. And, personally, I'd rather be "stoned" than "hammered" for fun.

Chartman17cool.gif

• Upvote 4

My wife suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and Marijuana has helped a great deal with her pain. I believe that her pain is helped and the U.S. economy can be helped by taxing this product. And, personally, I'd rather be "stoned" than "hammered" for fun.

Chartman17cool.gif

I'll second that ;)

• Upvote 2

That should drive the companies that require drug screens crazy. I'm of the opinion that what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business, and shouldn't be any of the federal government's concern.

I'll second that ;)/>

I would have to agree with that as well.....in my younger years, I had never experienced a hangover doing pot.

• Upvote 4

Chartman17cool.gif

It's a sure fact it also does wonders for glaucoma.....And let's not forget that alcohol and smoke kill tens of thousands every year ( while being legal)... Just saying

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 2

think of it this way when u go to a bar theres usually a fight and why is that? alcohol affects the brain making u agressive and want to fight not all everyone is different and can lead up to death if someone was to take it that far also drunk drivers kill many people each year. If you put a bunch of people smoking pot together what happens? they talk and interact without being agressive and being calm well MOST do in my experiences. No hangovers to deal with no blacking out not remembering what u did the previous night. I say Marijuana is far more superior than alcohol and safer as well just my opinion on the topic at hand. also the THC has been known to have many medical benefits what does alcohol do?

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 8

think of it this way when u go to a bar theres usually a fight and why is that? alcohol affects the brain making u agressive and want to fight not all everyone is different and can lead up to death if someone was to take it that far also drunk drivers kill many people each year. If you put a bunch of people smoking pot together what happens? they talk and interact without being agressive and being calm well MOST do in my experiences. No hangovers to deal with no blacking out not remembering what u did the previous night. I say Marijuana is far more superior than alcohol and safer as well just my opinion on the topic at hand. also the THC has been known to have many medical benefits what does alcohol do?

Easy, great post and agreed.... BTW...I don't drink or smoke ( anything).

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the post, Brandy. Just before the elections I purchased stock in several companies who deal in growing materials for the marijuana industry. All have gone up and some significantly. I suppose that you have to follow the money, right?

I'm currently searching myself ! And, yes, follow the money :)

Same in my experience. Never the kind of drama as with drinking...Never!! And frankly the conversations are far better in my experience. As a matter of fact I learned more cuz I asked more in depth questions on whatever the topic, most notably electronics :) just saying...not trying to offend anyone just sharing my own personal observation.

I love horticulture. I have been digging in the dirt and growing all kinds of plants that are native to my area for the past 30 years. I could cultivate a perfect crop of girls, if it were legal.

Haha and your just down the road...I have a nice collection of horticulture books, composting, organic everything and the like...if ever it were to be legal here we should get together to make Money :) just saying ;)

It's a sure fact it also does wonders for glaucoma.....And let's not forget that alcohol and smoke kill tens of thousands every year ( while being legal)... Just saying

Right on umbers :)

That should drive the companies that require drug screens crazy. I'm of the opinion that what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business, and shouldn't be any of the federal government's concern.

I would have to agree with that as well.....in my younger years, I had never experienced a hangover doing pot.

Ditto. Hopefully the DOJ doesn't stop this. Say NO to government interference.

• Upvote 2

sure once they make it legal .. china wil grow the crap out of it and sell it for 99 cents a pound and we can just lay around smoking pot all day ,

chemical warfare has been going on in this country for the last5 years .. rogue nations smuggle drugs into our country to poisen our childrens minds ... hopfully if it is legalized .. people will just grow their own why pay for delivery drivers cooks .. growers .. a couple 6 foot pot plants in the living room would be cool .. ya man did ya see that bird .. he flew right into the window .. wow .. ya that was cool ... ya thinks hes ok man .. i dont know man .. he hit pretty hard .. look at him ,, hes just flopping around .. i cant want till your stoned construction workers are building your buildings and briges .. and your pot head teachers are teaching how to roll a joint .. your kids will be the pride of the world .. just like in mexico .. or columbia .. or afganistan .... ya buying dope off our countrys enemys isnt a good idea ,, if anything grow your own laws would be nice ..i wonder why they call it dope

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

sure once they make it legal .. china wil grow the crap out of it and sell it for 99 cents a pound and we can just lay around smoking pot all day ,

chemical warfare has been going on in this country for the last5 years .. rogue nations smuggle drugs into our country to poisen our childrens minds ... hopfully if it is legalized .. people will just grow their own why pay for delivery drivers cooks .. growers .. a couple 6 foot pot plants in the living room would be cool .. ya man did ya see that bird .. he flew right into the window .. wow .. ya that was cool ... ya thinks hes ok man .. i dont know man .. he hit pretty hard .. look at him ,, hes just flopping around .. i cant want till your stoned construction workers are building your buildings and briges .. and your pot head teachers are teaching how to roll a joint .. your kids will be the pride of the world .. just like in mexico .. or columbia .. or afganistan .... ya buying dope off our countrys enemys isnt a good idea ,, if anything grow your own laws would be nice ..i wonder why they call it dope

What do you mean by chem warfare for the past 5 years?? Also I don't know what the muck your talking about...birds and shiz...I don't know the kind of people you have associated with in the past but that's on you...

I do agree with China, hopefully the states will regulate that...seems we need to spread awareness on that...but all your other talk is just nonsensical.

Edited by brandyclark
  • Upvote 1

What do you mean by chem warfare for the past 5 years?? Also I don't know what the muck your talking about...birds and shiz...I don't know the kind of people you have associated with in the past but that's on you...

I do agree with China, hopefully the states will regulate that...seems we need to spread awareness on that...but all your other talk is just nonsensical.

As a matter of thinking...if states would take control of it themselves while leaving gov out that would be a step towards decentralizing...really states need to join forces against the DOJ...that's a rally I would attend and donate towards.

Edited by brandyclark

ok first of all you are of the asumption that because people smoke weed they are dumb and all they do is lay around and smoke pot all day. Thats so far from the truth i happen to know people that smoke that have good families and have good paying jobs and pay taxes just like anyone else. Yes you will have the people that abuse pot and smoke way too much and dont do a damn thing but thats because they are just lazy in nature. This can also stem from the abuse from alcoholics that cant hold down a job neither. I worked in the construction business since i had been 17 I put on many tile and compostion roofs for new homes in the summer and rain yes many roofers smoke weed or they drink just the way it is. All the roofs came out really well and sealed without a leak, its up to the person to NOT abuse it and NOT to mix pleasure and work. I just dont know how you can generalize a group of people every body has their release pick your poison its their lives whether we make it legal across the globe doesnt matter one bit we will still have problems in the world and extortion. Why is alcohol legal?

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 6

Put the crack pipe down, we're talking about marijuana.

• Upvote 3