Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Twinkies: Another Casualty Of Obamacare?

rico1

On the surface, militant unions drove Hostess Brands, the maker of American icon Twinkie, to liquidation, while reckless managers and visionless corporate leaders had been paving the way for a long time.

On a closer examination, this liquidation could have been deferred and probably avoided altogether, if it wasn’t for Obamacare that made it increasingly difficult for labor and management to come into terms. It is one thing, for instance, to ask unions to get an 8% pay cut. It is another thing to raise their healthcare contributions by 17% at the same time.

pt_1584_5026_o.jpg?t=1352584721 Should Unions Interests Come Before Customer Interests? panosmourdoukoutas_40.jpg While this seems to be the trend around the country, affecting small and large corporations in every industry, it is more burdening to low-earnings industries, where healthcare premiums count for a larger portion of the overall compensation, as I suspect to be the case in the bakery industry.

What is most disturbing to me is that this trend is just beginning rather than about to end. Healthcare costs will continue to spin out of control, as Obamacare focuses more on boosting healthcare premiums rather than expanding the supply of healthcare services. Most notably, the new policy has failed to rationalize and modernize the healthcare system, as the higher costs don’t seem to benefit the ultimate health providers, according to my doctor.

The bottom line: While Obamacare wasn’t the primary cause of the decline and fall of an iconic American brand, it certainly has contributed to it, as it threw another impediment into an already bitter dispute between unions and management.

http://www.forbes.co...y-of-obamacare/

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Personally I really think it was time for the "Twinkies" to go. However, had the unions not pulled this crap, they might have found positions for these employees in other plants for other products they manufacture.

I think the media is blaming the wrong group of people. JMHO. ;)

• Upvote 2