Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Twinkies maker Hostess plans to go out of business

rico1

With Hostess shutdown, boxes of Twinkies, Ho Hos going for $100 and more on eBay

After Hostess announced Friday that a protracted labor union battle would force it to close its factories , many red-blooded Americans cowered in fear over the extinction of their beloved Twinkies, Zingers and Ho Hos.

Twinkie junkies are still in luck, however: Boxes of the barely edible snack foods are already selling on eBay.

One box of Twinkies has a starting bid of $49.99, with a “buy it now” price of $89.99.

Screen-shot-2012-11-16-at-1.30.38-PM.png

The description on the item (read as urgently as if you were reading the Titanic disaster telegram): “HOSTESS IS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SO GET THESE WHILE YOU CAN. STORES ARE ALREADY SEEING THESE FLY OFF THE SHELVES AND SOON YOU WILL PAY A PREMIUM FOR THESE.”

A box of Ho Hos is being sold for $59.99, while a 48-pack of Zingers is going for $43.

One trickster claims to have “the last Twinkie in the heartland” and the single dessert has a starting bid of $50, but you can buy it right now for $5,235.

Other sellers are taking more modest approaches with starting bids from $11 to $15.

The best eBay listing so far comes from a seller who wants to give away his last 10-count box of Twinkies for $595 – but there’s a catch: There are only four cakes left because the seller “got into them this morning.” But how can you go wrong with an expiration date of 12-02-2057?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i drove by the hostess store today and the parking lot was filled to the max wonder if they will just give free boxes of twinkies and cupcakes away man this is so sad my childhood food gone and never to return again :( this world is coming to an end its weird because this is what they showed in zombieland the movie with woody harrelson he couldnt find ONE twinkie all he found were pink puffs haha

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i drove by the hostess store today and the parking lot was filled to the max wonder if they will just give free boxes of twinkies and cupcakes away man this is so sad my childhood food gone and never to return again :( this world is coming to an end its weird because this is what they showed in zombieland the movie with woody harrelson he couldnt find ONE twinkie all he found were pink puffs haha

:lol: easy I said the same thing

• Upvote 1

On my twitter feed a few minutes ago:

BREAKING (AND REAL) from @BloombergNews: Owner of Pabst Blue Ribbon "considering bid for Hostess"

Bloomberg

C. Dean Metropoulos & Co., the private equity firm that owns Pabst Brewing Co., is considering an offer to buy Hostess Brands Inc.,

which said today it plans to liquidate its business.

“Our family would love to purchase these iconic brands,” said Daren Metropoulos, a principal at the Greenwich, Connecticut-based

firm, which paid $250 million for Pabst in 2010. “We are actively pursuing this deal as no doubt strategics will also.”

C. Dean Metropoulos, founder of the firm, has specialized in purchasing struggling brands, such as Chef Boyardee and Bumble Bee

Tuna and turning them around. The firm paid close attention to the maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread during its bankruptcy proceedings,

Daren Metropoulos has said.

“We have analyzed this opportunity very carefully for a few years now,” Metropoulos said in an e-mail. “Shedding the complications of the

unions and old plants makes it even more attractive.”

The 82-year-old company also makes Hostess CupCakes, Ding Dongs and Ho Hos. The private equity firm is “fully prepared to participate

in any process involving selling the brands,” Daren Metropoulos said.

Hostess said today it will fire more than 18,000 workers and liquidate after a nationwide strike by bakery workers crippled operations.

The company struggled after changes in American diets led to years of declining sales while ingredient costs and labor expenses climbed.

The company, based in Irving, Texas, plans to sell its products until supplies are exhausted. The decision to liquidate capped a weeklong

standoff between Hostess, once the largest U.S. wholesale baker, and a union that called its proposed labor contract “horrendous.”

:lmao:

:rocking-chair:

• Upvote 2

On my twitter feed a few minutes ago:

BREAKING (AND REAL) from @BloombergNews: Owner of Pabst Blue Ribbon "considering bid for Hostess"

Bloomberg

C. Dean Metropoulos & Co., the private equity firm that owns Pabst Brewing Co., is considering an offer to buy Hostess Brands Inc.,

which said today it plans to liquidate its business.

“Our family would love to purchase these iconic brands,” said Daren Metropoulos, a principal at the Greenwich, Connecticut-based

firm, which paid $250 million for Pabst in 2010. “We are actively pursuing this deal as no doubt strategics will also.”

C. Dean Metropoulos, founder of the firm, has specialized in purchasing struggling brands, such as Chef Boyardee and Bumble Bee

Tuna and turning them around. The firm paid close attention to the maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread during its bankruptcy proceedings,

Daren Metropoulos has said.

“We have analyzed this opportunity very carefully for a few years now,” Metropoulos said in an e-mail. “Shedding the complications of the

unions and old plants makes it even more attractive.”

The 82-year-old company also makes Hostess CupCakes, Ding Dongs and Ho Hos. The private equity firm is “fully prepared to participate

in any process involving selling the brands,” Daren Metropoulos said.

Hostess said today it will fire more than 18,000 workers and liquidate after a nationwide strike by bakery workers crippled operations.

The company struggled after changes in American diets led to years of declining sales while ingredient costs and labor expenses climbed.

The company, based in Irving, Texas, plans to sell its products until supplies are exhausted. The decision to liquidate capped a weeklong

standoff between Hostess, once the largest U.S. wholesale baker, and a union that called its proposed labor contract “horrendous.”

:lmao:

:rocking-chair:

There's a bar in my area that does deep fried oreos. Not quite the same thing but I think I see where this is going.

Local Plant right up the road is shutting down in Rocky Mount, N.C. , about 300 employees will lose there jobs.........

I cant believe the Company would have a HARD time filling these jobs with $10 an hour workers.........

LONG LIVE THE TWINKIE..........AND PINK SNO'BALLS .....(GG)tongue.gif

533485_503176369703743_1739859863_n.jpg

SQUOOGE !!!!

No more Ho Ho`s . sad.gif

Will get through this.........

Edited by littlefeet
  • Upvote 1

If it was me, I'd take every Twinkie in the factory and shove them down the union reps throat until they choke on them.

I never did like Twinkies but those pink snowballs (Shabbs you're right) were great...!!! :D

sno-ball_half.jpg

You crack me up Goldie. Pink Snowballs? Your pretty brilliant. :lol: I don't eat the crappy food that the Hostess brand produces. No worries here.

• Upvote 1

Just bought 134 boxes of twinkies at $3.00 a box! Not a bad investment, E bay here i come!

I guess that makes you a "prep-er" of sorts!!! rolleyes.gif Hang onto some of them and someday you just might barter some of them for some desperate persons fishing boat, or pick up truck!!! laugh.gif

• Upvote 2

The sad thing is the unions won another one and the union members lost their jobs. And yet they will keep defending the unions. As long as Obama is in office the unions will continue to destroy America. I just can't believe they let it happen over and over. sad.gif

• Upvote 1

Any business struggling with cost now will go under when Obama care is ordered. It does not take a brain surgeon to figure that one out. If you have too much out go of income now, when MORE out go of income is ordered, you MUST the money somewhere. Either the extra cost comes from the customer or out of the profit level. If there is no profit level and the customer cannot or will not foot the cost there is only one other door open...that is to close YOUR door.

I truly do not understand people who are so dedicated to Obama and his agenda that they refuse to see that Obama and the big unions have an agenda that is NOT for OUR good.

Edited by desimo
  • Upvote 3

Don’t Freak Out Over Twinkie’s Demise – Make Your Own! DIY TWINKIES...

As the media stoked the fear fires over the closing of Hostess Bakeries (Hostess is the company that gave us the Twinkie, Wonder Bread, and other delicious baked goods), some people have decided not to accept the reality that America may soon be a Twinkie-free country.

When faced with this snack cake crisis, Americans are looking inward and focusing on self-reliance rather than face a Twinkie-less future. If the Twinkie becomes extinct, it is only because we were too lazy to save it. While the company appears to be going away for good, the recipe for the Twinkie is available online. As a member of TheBlaze foodie crew, this writer is trying to lead the way to Twinkie self-sufficiency. That’s right– I decided to make my own yellow sponge cake treats.

Thanks to Todd Wilbur’s Top Secret Recipes and a short but very instructive video, my confidence was high. After a quick trip to the supermarket, the ingredients were assembled and we were on our way.

Below is a (very rough) video showing some of the process and the final results:

If you would like to learn from Mr. Wilbur himself, his video is here:

And here is the recipe and instructions.....You're welcome! ;)

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Hostess-Twinkie-Recipe.html

• Upvote 2

It's a great excuse if you don't want to take responsibility!

History

(Someone wont take responsibility! 4 years kills business over 100 years old)

The history of Hostess Brands and its beloved bread and snack cake products dates back to the late 1800s. We are an almost $2.5 billion dollar company and one of the largest wholesale bakers and distributors of fresh-baked bread and sweet goods in the U.S. Our 18,300 employees operate 33 bakeries, 5,550 delivery routes, 565 distribution centers and 570 bakery outlet stores throughout the country.

Our brands are some of the best known snacks and breads in the United States. We make many of the top-selling snack cakes in convenience stores, including Twinkies®, CupCakes and Fruit Pies. Wonder® has been sustaining American families for 90 years, and it is the best selling white bread in America. Drake’s cakes have been produced since 1888 and Dolly Madison cakes since 1937. Ding Dongs®, Ho Ho’s®, Sno Balls® and Donettes® are also famous Hostess brands. Our other leading brands include Nature’s Pride®, Home Pride®, Merita®, Holsum®, Bread du Jour®, Butternut®, Millbrook®, Eddy’s®, J.J. Nissen®, Sweetheart®, Cotton’s Holsum® and Beefsteak®.

Our headquarters moved to Irving, Texas in 2009 and we became Hostess Brands. The operations center is in Kansas City, Missouri.

Edited by jonjon

Hostess buying binge nears end; speculation on suitor

LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3) -- The buying binge in local stores for Hostess bakery products may soon end because there is little product to buy.

The announcement Friday that more than 18,000 Hostess employees nationwide will soon be out of work because the strike-plagued company announced liquidation plans prompted a rush on retail stores that sell Twinkies, Ho-Hos, Sno-Balls and related bakery goods.

But that charge may be coming to an end as stores report having few supplies of the traditional delights that date back to a 1930 origin.

"We have been left in the dark," a worker at the only Las Vegas Hostess Bakery outlet store at Craig Road and Lamb Boulevard said Saturday afternoon. "We have very little product left and we have no idea when we might close."

She said she had a long line at the register. She also refused to give her name because "the company has told us not to talk to the media or we'll lose our jobs."

More than 170 employees at the Hostess bakery in Henderson have already or will shortly lose their jobs.

While the local run may come to an end, the Internet buying spree has only escalated since Friday's announcement. One box of 10 Twinkies was reportedly being offered on e-Bay for $10 million, complete with delivery in a Hostess vehicle. There had been several bids that were rejected or withdrawn on the box. Another ad offered a box of Twinkies for an opening bid of $200,000 or an immediate purchase at $250,000.

Meanwhile, Forbes.com was reporting today that a Mexican baker, Grupo Bimbo, might make another bid for the company. Back in 2007 when Hostess was in bankruptcy proceedings, the company owned by Daniel Servitje Montull tried to force the company into his control. The maneuver failed, but he has often expressed an interest to own Hostess.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49869771/ns/local_news-las_vegas_nv/#.UKhcxYZG01k