Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

HOW MANY BUSINESSES HAVE ANNOUNCED CLOSINGS OR LAY-OFFS SINCE OBAMA WON A SECOND TERM?

TexasGranny

The Blaze

Do elections have consequences? If you have been paying attention to the financial markets, you might think so. Wall Street has had two horrible days

since President Obama won a second term.

However, stock prices are not the only thing taking a hit. It appears that the job market is also suffering. In the last 48 hours, the following major

corporations have announced layoffs in America (each is linked to the news release with details):

• Westinghouse -

Westinghouse Anniston, the contractor responsible for shutting down Anniston’s chemical weapons incinerator, has reduced its workforce by another 50 employees.

• Research in Motion Limited -

Research in Motion Ltd., the maker of BlackBerry smartphones, laid off about 200 people at its U.S. headquarters in Irving on Wednesday, according to

a source close to the company who did not want to be named.

• Lightyear Network Solutions -

More than one dozen employees at a Pikeville company lost their jobs this week. Officials with Lightyear Network Solutions said they are consolidating

offices in Louisville and Pikeville to save money.

• Providence Journal -

The Providence Journal Co. laid off 23 full-time workers Wednesday as part of a cost-cutting effort, including 16 members of the Providence Newspaper

Guild and 7 non-union employees.

• Hawker Beechcraft -

The company says 240 employees will lose their jobs with the closing of Hawker Beechcraft Services facilities in Little Rock, Ark.; Mesa, Ariz.; and San Antonio, Texas.

• Boeing (30% of their management staff) -

Boeing Co.BA +1.24% said Wednesday it plans to employ 30% fewer executives at its Boeing Defense, Space & Security unit by the end of 2012 compared to 2010 levels.

• CVPH Medical Center -

CVPH Medical Center has handed pink slips to 17 employees. The layoffs — nine in management and eight hourly staffers — are part of an effort to

“help bolster the hospital’s financial position in 2013 and beyond,” a press release said.

• US Cellular -

The move will result in 980 job cuts at U.S. Cellular, with 640 in the Chicago area, according to a spokeswoman. The cuts are slightly under 12 percent

of the approximately 8,400 total employees U.S. Cellular had at the end of the third quarter.

• Momentive Performance Materials -

About 150 workers at Sistersville’s Momentive Performance Materials plant will be temporarily laid off later this month, officials said this week.

• Rocketdyne -

About 100 employees at P ratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, most of whom work in the San Fernando Valley, were laid off Wednesday in response to dwindling

government spending on space exploration, the company said. The layoffs were effective immediately, and 75 percent of them came at the facilities on

Canoga and De Soto avenues, which employ about 1,100 people. The company has six sites across the Valley.

• Brake Parts -

The leader of an automotive parts plant in Lincoln County has told state officials that there are plans to lay off 75 workers starting in late December…

The layoffs are expected to start Dec. 28 and continue in the first quarter of 2013

• Vestas Wind Systems -

Vestas Wind Systems A/S (VWS) is seeking to sell a stake of as much as 20 percent and said it’s reducing headcount by 3,000 to raise the staff cuts

by the biggest wind turbine maker to almost a third over two years.

• Husqvarna -

Husqvarna AB (HUSQB), the world’s biggest maker of powered garden tools, plans to cut about 600 jobs in a move that will save 220 million kronor

($33 million) a year by 2014.

• Center for Hospice New York -

The Center for Hospice and Palliative Care plans to temporarily lay off as many as 40 employees next year as it embarks on a major renovation of the

inpatient unit at its Cheektowaga campus.

• Bristol-Meyers -

Bristol-Myers Squibb ($BMY) is following up its lackluster third-quarter results with almost 480 layoffs. As Pharmalot reports, the company notified the

New Jersey government that it would scale back in Plainsboro, which means the cuts will hit its sales operations.

• OCE North America -

Trumbull printer- and scanning-equipment provider Oce North America, Inc. will lay off 135 workers in three Connecticut communities, including East

Hartford, according to its notice with the state Labor Department.

• Darden Restaurants -

The company, which was among those who had received an Obamacare waiver in the past, is looking to limit workers to 28 hours per week. A full time

employee that is required to have health insurance (lest the employer pay a fine) works 30 hours per week, as defined by the Obamacare law.

• United Blood Services Gulf -

United Blood Services Gulf South region, the non-profit blood service provider for much of south Louisiana and Mississippi, will lay off approximately

10 percent of its workforce. It was a hard decision to make according to Susan Begnaud, Regional Center Director for the Gulf South region.

A layoff is tough enough for employees to deal with, imagine hearing the crushing news that your office is shutting down just before Thanksgiving and

Christmas… Here are some of the business closings that were announced in just the past two days:

Caterpillar Inc. will close its plant in Owatonna Minn.

Mount Pleasant’s Albrecht Sentry Foods

The Target store at Manassas Mall Va.

Millennium Academy in Wake Forest NC

Target Closing Kissimmee FL Location

The Andover Gift Shop in Andover MA

Grand Union Family Markets Closing Storrs Location CT

Movie Scene Milford Location NH

Update: TE Connectivity Closing Greensboro Plant – 620 Layoffs Expected

Gomer’s Fried Chicken in South Kansas City

Kmart in Homer Glen

Fresh Market on Pine Street in Burlington

AGC Glass North America to permanently close its Blue Ridge Plant in Kingsport Tenn.

The Target store at Platte and Academy in Colorado Springs

The Roses store on Reynold Road in Winston-Salem NC

Meanders Kitchen losing its West Seattle location at 6032 California Ave

Bost Harley-Davidson at 46th Avenue North and Delaware Ave. in West Nashville TN

Townsend Booksellers in Oakland

The Kmart store in Parkway Plaza off University Drive in Durham NC – 79 Jobs Lost

To see even more companies that announced layoffs since the election, visit the Daily Job Cuts page. :(

:rocking-chair:

• Upvote 15
  • Downvote 1

And I hope that every last employee goes and gets on food stamps and welfare.

I read somewhere, I think Sgt. Fury, suggested that we respond in this way.

If I were hi-jacked, I would get the car up to speed and run it into a tree, while trying to pop the seatbelt of my hi-jacker.

If suddenly 80% of the US instead of 47% becomes takers, the system would crash, would crash hard, and we could end this miserable ride more quickly, and effect real change. I actually think this might be the best route to effective revolution. In any case, it might get that POS out of office more quickly as he's tried for treason.

As they say, this would be one way to just rip off the bandaid instead of pulling it off slowly and painfully as we're doing now.

Any other thots on what would happen if we did this?

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

And I hope that every last employee goes and gets on food stamps and welfare.

I read somewhere, I think Sgt. Fury, suggested that we respond in this way.

If I were hi-jacked, I would get the car up to speed and run it into a tree, while trying to pop the seatbelt of my hi-jacker.

If suddenly 80% of the US instead of 47% becomes takers, the system would crash, would crash hard, and we could end this miserable ride more quickly, and effect real change. I actually think this might be the best route to effective revolution. In any case, it might get that POS out of office more quickly as he's tried for treason.

As they say, this would be one way to just rip off the bandaid instead of pulling it off slowly and painfully as we're doing now.

Any other thots on what would happen if we did this?

Yes Broke, and as Sarge's gals have suggested... this is in line with the premise of Atlas Shrugged (also as Francie26 has recognized), that when the "Producers" of the country "go on strike" or out-of-business, it will be the clueless "takers" of society begging for them to return... and further, the arrogant government "demanding" them to return... demanding their cooperation... demanding their experience and expertise for the "greater good" of society... "at the point of a gun"... All too late. The Producers recognize this erosion... and have already started their respective countdowns to closing their doors.

Who is John Galt? For all those that recognize this.... this question/phrase sums it all up!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

thanks grany .. im not happy or rubbing anything in .. im truly concerned about the stock market which people use as an indicator for our economy ... if consumer confidence is lost ... we are headed for a recession that may be worse than any other...

when consumer confidence drops off people stop buying things .. when they stop buying things lay offs begin .. when lay offs begin .. consumer confidence drops of even further and the dominoe effect sets in and iit snowballs out of control ..

its like rolling a snowball down hill because its easier .. but when it gets so big .. it gets to heavy to control .. and takes off with a mind of its own ..

if taxes go up on capitol gains and dividends .. at the end of the year .. people will sell off their stocks before the end of the year .. so they dont lose those dollars .. it looks like its already begun .. people always jump out first and start shorting stocks in anticipation of a sell off .. this is what i think we are seing the last couple days ... once this is in place they start to scare people into selling before its to late .. they do this with propaganda ..

im really worried about tommarro .. black fridays have been nightmares in our history on wall street .. fridays are not good for holding stocks over the week end to begin with ..

tommarro is what i see as the beginning or .. hopfully it isnt .. we cannot stnd another recession now .. it will cause massive home forclosers .... no taxes will be coming in . to bail anyone out .. and our credit line for this administration is not very good ... i doubt they could borrow their way out again ..

this is what the movie 2016 was all about .. its obamas dream to destroy aamerica . and they wont be able to stop him ..

his lies have decieved many in our country .. they wont accept it if it does happen and end up actually helping obama achieve his goal

we had the guy standing right in front of us .. explaining he was the one who could fix this .. .. and the other standing right behind him calling him names and decieving america ..

tommarro pay attention to the stock market ..

black friday

1. The term "black" has been used to describe other disastrous days in financial markets. For example, on Black Tuesday, October 29, 1929, the market fell precipitously, signaling the start of the Great Depression. The largest one-day drop in stock market history occurred on Black Monday, October 19, 1987, when the Dow Jones Industrial Average plummeted more than 22%.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/blackfriday.asp#ixzz2Bh377Cf3

http://activerain.com/blogsview/733511/black-friday-the-stock-market-crash-of-2008

• Upvote 4

Great post TG!!

We are only beginning to see the tip of the iceberg. As a multiple business owner I am faced with the sad situation of shut them down or keep laying everything I have on the line, (which was done a long time ago) in the face of the most anti business president who has ever held the office. Clueless at the moment. :huh:

Get ready folks for rampant unemployment, layoffs, fuel prices, food prices, etc. Manufacturing will be jumping ship for friendlier working environments, small businesses are about to have their backs broken with Ocare, including mine, and the peeps are going to get to see what it is they voted for.

Free crap is great but when their is no one left to pay for it they will turn in to animals coming after what they think is owed them, yep I have your payment right here and it's measured in calibers. Our entitlement, instant gratification, no responsibility, crowd is going to flip $#&* when they realize no one is going to pay anymore for all their entitlements.

I think we should start a Republican movement where all Republicans stop paying taxes completely. The libs will find out really quick when the money dries up instantly that we are sick of paying for them, vote how you want, do what you want, but don't expect us to pay for it again, EVER!!! :angry:

Anyone else see the article today where gun mfg. stocks just went thru the roof? Wonder why. <_<

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 10

I must be crazy but if all or a good majority of the no longer middle class goes on the dole, and have future potential --who is going to pay for those poor unfortunate free loaders on the dole now who have never had s future potential-- just beating a dead reelection issue here --when the ship starts to sink the rats only desert and are long gone when the water just starts to overwelme the pumps--to make it easy the taxpayers here are the pump==the rats are still getting their check

Shame that will be the end of our country 3 days after an election--shame that what is truly needed is--stop changing rules that worked -

• Upvote 2

I must be crazy but if all or a good majority of the no longer middle class goes on the dole, and have future potential --who is going to pay for those poor unfortunate free loaders on the dole now who have never had s future potential-- just beating a dead reelection issue here --when the ship starts to sink the rats only desert and are long gone when the water just starts to overwelme the pumps--to make it easy the taxpayers here are the pump==the rats are still getting their check

Shame that will be the end of our country 3 days after an election--shame that what is truly needed is--stop changing rules that worked -

Great analogy Cap, don't forget that the rats will never admit it was ever anything they could have possibly been at fault for, they think they deserve it and will never understand why we are sick of paying for it!! :angry:

• Upvote 2

this is hard to say out loud .. but i believe when america becomes over run buy the thieves .. liars .. and those who give honest day of work for honest day of pay cannot win an election ..because they are out numbered .. this experiment in the united states will be over and the worlds educated and elite .. wealthy what ever you want to call them .. will move on .. and leave behind what is hopless ..

their was absolutly no reason for obama to be re elected .. nothing ..

the world leaders watched ... we wont be able to borrow a red cent ..and what will be left is us ...many different races that cant get along ..some can .. but there are those who get along with no one . whats left is war ..

mitt romney .. an educated man ,, stood before our country and offered his helping hand and was rejected by the majority ....this is why i think we should were colors .. to identify ourselves from the thieves and liars .. those who want to reap what others have sown...

the united states is an idea ..and it worked till the low lifes out populated the rest .. the low lifes were housed and fed while they populated themselves into power .. now they want to enslave the workers in our country to work for them while they lay in saddam and gamorrah type life styles

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

this is hard to say out loud .. but i believe when america becomes over run buy the thieves .. liars .. and those who give honest day of work for honest day of pay cannot win an election ..because they are out numbered .. this experiment in the united states will be over and the worlds educated and elite .. wealthy what ever you want to call them .. will move on .. and leave behind what is hopless ..

their was absolutly no reason for obama to be re elected .. nothing ..

the world leaders watched ... we wont be able to borrow a red cent ..and what will be left is us ...many different races that cant get along ..some can .. but there are those who get along with no one . whats left is war ..

mitt romney .. an educated man ,, stood before our country and offered his helping hand and was rejected by the majority ....this is why i think we should were colors .. to identify ourselves from the thieves and liars .. those who want to reap what others have sown...

the united states is an idea ..and it worked till the low lifes out populated the rest .. the low lifes were housed and fed while they populated themselves into power .. now they want to enslave the workers in our country to work for them while they lay in saddam and gamorrah type life styles

Great post my friend, especially about Romney. He was rejected because his plan would've said go to work and rely on yourself, to many now think they are owed existence!

• Upvote 4

I havent posted since the elections...Just too friggin disgusted

This Country can count on a lot more lay-offs soon...This will be

a catalyst to something...Not sure what....But probably not good.

Here's what I know right now, $2.4 million dollars worth of work

went bye-bye yesterday...Thats a few homes that were in the pipeline,

waiting for the results of the Elections.

This is just my little part of the economy...That 2.4 million would have

employed a crap load of people, in all the building trades....

With this news, I can extrapolate that all of the trades (just involved with me)

will lose at least 20 million this next year....Probably more.

Thanks Obama....You're doing a great job

• Upvote 5

I'm too irritated to consult my handy-dandy electoral college map but anybody want to venture a guess or count how many of the listed closures effect blue states? A comparison... Just curious how many of those loyal voters will be unemployed or unable to find work if they do decide to get off their duffs to get a job.

KK

MADD for Heather

• Upvote 3

I'm too irritated to consult my handy-dandy electoral college map but anybody want to venture a guess or count how many of the listed closures effect blue states? A comparison... Just curious how many of those loyal voters will be unemployed or unable to find work if they do decide to get off their duffs to get a job.

KK

MADD for Heather

Blue states are mainly along both coasts, And yes even they are affected. Boeing and others here in Washington will be affected. Just because a state is blue doesn't mean all the people are bad. You and a lot of other people would feel welcome around my clan, cause we are good people. I lost a job I wanted, quit a job I hated, and waiting for a job at frickin Dominoes. I guess what I'm saying is let loose the whole red and blue bullcrud. It's not doing anybody any good. United we stand, divided we fall. It's time to UNITE.

• Upvote 4

I called my lawyer today to discuss the shutting down of my business, I have been trying not to do it but it has eaten up every penny that I have just to keep it going this long. Not sure what I will do as my health isn't the best these days! Diabetes, 3 herniated disk in my lower back, high blood pressure and as most of you know GOUT!!! sad.gif

Been doing a lot of PRAYING on this smile.gif as I really hate letting employees go in this terrible economy!!angry.gif

• Upvote 12

Blue states are mainly along both coasts, And yes even they are affected. Boeing and others here in Washington will be affected. Just because a state is blue doesn't mean all the people are bad. You and a lot of other people would feel welcome around my clan, cause we are good people. I lost a job I wanted, quit a job I hated, and waiting for a job at frickin Dominoes. I guess what I'm saying is let loose the whole red and blue bullcrud. It's not doing anybody any good. United we stand, divided we fall. It's time to UNITE.

My heart breaks for ANYONE losing their jobs, I really do. My hubby lost his thanks to obamacare. I know there are good people in blue states, I lived in California most of my adult life. Kinda rough wearing R in a D state. Even sadder are the good folks that vote D anyway ;) . I'm just curious if the companies that are closing are mostly blue on my map. In general, the folks that voted for him are already paying the price was my point. Sorry, I got to help my daughter color her electoral map Tues nite, we just talk in blue and red around the house now.

We as Americans need to unite regardless of party for the betterment of our great country. There are those who will fight against us regardless, and we can't unite with them, we can feel sorry for them and pray for them. And yes, we'll also pay their way, unfortunately. But the rest of us, the good people who love this great country, WILL come out victorious eventually. We can save this land if we work together.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, LAND THAT I LOVE

KK

MADD for Heather

• Upvote 3

Damn It... I am In Utah!

"The Most Red Romney State" a person could be in... always republican... ALWAYS!!!

Job's SUCK here... look it up... their laws permit waitress's to make $2.50 an hour!

So You Folks are going to give us your tourism trade and save Utah? HA!

Arnie I am a native Oregonian smile.gif Miss My home! I hear you... my friends back home are having a hard time too... but not like I have had here.

Yes It Is Time To UNITE!

I called my lawyer today to discuss the shutting down of my business, I have been trying not to do it but it has eaten up every penny that I have just to keep it going this long. Not sure what I will do as my health isn't the best these days! Diabetes, 3 herniated disk in my lower back, high blood pressure and as most of you know GOUT!!! sad.gif

Been doing a lot of PRAYING on this smile.gif as I really hate letting employees go in this terrible economy!!angry.gif

Bumper I honestly don't even know what state you are in... but it hardly matters...

My heart goes out to you... it truly does. My prayers and hopes are with you and your beautiful daughters.

I'm tearing up because you are such a good man... I am behind you and will offer you support... any way I can.

Hugs Maggie

• Upvote 3

Under Sequesration I'm on the layoff list come Jan 2nd. I'm a DOD contractor directly affected by the Bill.

At least they waited till after the elections & Christmas to lay off.

I'm also retiring in Jan so this works out OK for me. I'll be 66 in July.

I feel bad for all the young people with homes & families.

They have nowhere to go except maybe volunteer for Iraq duty.

The local economy is already devistated.

This is a military town & will be directly affected by Sequestration.

Many other military & government dependant communities will also be directly affected.

Spending has come to a halt. Everyone's afraid to spend.

• Upvote 1

Bump, I'm with you. Planning an exit plan myself. A friend of mine is doing the same. Together we will affect about 17 people. We live in a small town and those people will have a hard time finding work because there is none here. He plans on the end of the year, me the middle of 2013. Comes a time when you have to look after yourself first. Best of luck to you.

• Upvote 2

MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU BUMP, AND WITH ALL WHO ARE IN SIMILAR SITUATIONS.

GOD BLESS!!! LORD SEND THE RAIN!!!

Edited by Liljohn
  • Upvote 1

the dow is set to dump again .. but hey obama will most likely play hoop today in the white house ..all ya had to do is listen to the black racists in the united states .. like al sharpton .. lewis farakan .. jesse jackson .. and most of all rev jerimiah write .. obamas pastor .. for twenty years of his life till he was asked to explain what he was doing there by fox news .. .. then he says .. oh .. i didnt know this was a racist church .... i better gets me a new church ..

the preacher screams out things like .. god .. danm america .. and a majority votes for a guy with a vengence against white people .. and then explain to us how smart you are ..

NEWS FLASH ... we are not the same people who owned slaves .. just be cause the color of our skin is white ..

• Upvote 2

I will pray for you Bumper. Our business is probably going to have to close, too. That will put 32 people out of jobs. Some are relatives and others are good friends who have been there for us through thick and thin. Every night we have received calls from our truck drivers who are in fear of losing their jobs. They are telling us that everywhere they go they are being told that other truck drivers have already been given the word that their company will either be laying them off or closing the doors. We have told them we will try our best to stay open, but just like you Bumper we are penniless. We have put all of our personal funds into keeping the doors open the last two years because of the economy, and it still is just not enough. With the new taxes and Obamacare on the horizen, we really see no way to pull out. It just tears my heart out to have to let people go in this economy. They are wonderful and understand because they have seen us put everything we can back into making sure they have a job and get paid. That still does not make it hurt less to have to do something you never wanted to do to people you love and care about.