Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Press Wakes Up to Romney’s Lies for ‘astonishingly misleading’ Jeep Ad

simple

The Romney campaign has jumped the lie shark with their new ad slyly building on the lie that Chrysler is moving Jeep jobs to China. Romney told this easily disproven falsehood to Ohioans at a rally last week. Chrysler pointed out that a “careful and unbiased” understanding “would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments.”

When asked to comment on Romney’s claims, the Romney campaign at first refused to comment and then defended the lie with an already debunked Bloomberg article that everyone knows is wrong. The press is not impressed. It seems they have finally met a lie they can’t excuse.

Here’s a roundup from OFA of the brutal reaction:

Detroit Free Press: “Not only was the story wrong, Romney took criticism for not knowing better and repeating it without questioning it.

Toledo Blade: “‘The latest Romney ad, I will grant you, is a clever play on words to avoid saying things that are utterly false,’ Mr. Rattner said, referring to a new Romney ad out today. But he said the implication of the ad is ‘just not true. Chrysler is adding people. It’s made major investments in the Toledo Wrangler plant.’”

Huffington Post: “Where the ad goes from misleading to something more nefarious is in the text it shows. At one point, it displays a line from a Bloomberg story stating that Chrysler “plans to return Jeep output to China,” the implication being that the company is moving operations there as opposed to expanding operations that are already there.”

Wall Street Journal: “So far, the Romney campaign hasn’t issued a public statement on the flap.” My link

Chrysler: Let’s set the record straight: Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China. It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation. A careful and unbiased reading of the Bloomberg take would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments.

But even though Romney was caught with his pants down, he's now put up a new television ad that continues to push the Jeep-to-China lie. What a guy!

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 27

Let’s set the record straight: Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China. It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation. A careful and unbiased reading of the Bloomberg take would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments.

So, Is Jeep Really Moving To China, Or What?

Last week, Bloomberg News ran a story with this headline: "Fiat Says Jeep Output May Return to China as Demand Rises".

There are three ways you could look at that.

1. You could cock your head to the side like Nipper the RCA dog and wonder what the heck it means.

2. You could assume that the writer simply chose a clumsy headline for a story that should've been titled something like, "Jeep May Reopen Factories In China".

3. You could assume that Chrysler's Italian overlords are moving the design, research, and manufacturing facilities of one of America's most popular automotive brands to China (for cheap labor, less regulation, more incentives, take your pick)

As we pointed out last week at Motor Authority, the Bloomberg story referred to the production of Jeep vehicles for the Chinese auto market: "Today, all Jeep models are produced in the United States, at assembly lines in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio. In the pre-Fiat days, however, some Jeep models destined for China were built in in Chinese plants."

And that is what the author of the Bloomberg article with the poorly worded headline was going on about. To streamline production during the Great Recession, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne housed manufacturing for the Chinese market in the U.S. To meet growing demand, however, Marchionne is now in talks with Guangzhou Automobile Group about the possibility of making some -- or perhaps all -- Chinese-bound Jeeps in China itself.

So, the Italian maker of Jeep (Fiat) is considering opening plants in China

to build the Jeeps that would be sold to Chinese buyers....Hmmm, sounds

like that would be outsourced jobs to me....Romney is right on this one

Edited by cris
  • Upvote 12
  • Downvote 2

That's the point, Romney is twisting words and ignoring the truth.

It's not outsourcing when they're manufacturing for that country. Manufacturing in-country makes it affordable to sell in-country. Just like Ford in other countries and just like Toyota does in the U.S.

You know that Cris but Romney is implying differently to scare voters. Chrysler upset with the accusations but Romney doesn't back off. What a guy!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 16

from the examiner.com

Washington Secrets

Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China

October 25, 2012 | 1:19 pm

944Comments

Paul Bedard

Washington Secrets

The Washington Examiner

E@SecretsBedard

More Photos

Popular in Politics

1Axelrod: Romney camp won’t be saved by a bad jobs report

2Obama dispatches election lawyers 'all across the country'

3A newspaper endorsement that may matter

Obama could lose Wisconsn--Jeep Wrangler behind the president as seen in his new second term agenda binder.

In another potential blow for the president's Ohio reelection campaign, Jeep, the rugged brand President Obama once said symbolized American freedom, is considering giving up on the United States and shifting production to China.

Such a move would crash the economy in towns like Toledo, Ohio, where Jeeps are made and supplied, and rob the community of the economic security they thought Obama's auto bailout assured them

• Upvote 4

from the examiner.com

Washington Secrets

Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China

Misinterpreted by Romney, corrected by Chrysler and Romney still interpret differently for votes. Romney should know better.

Jeep in China

by Gualberto Ranieri

October 25, 2012 4:24 PM

There are times when the reading of a newswire report generates storms originated by a biased or predisposed approach.

On Oct. 22, 2012, at 11:10 a.m. ET, the Bloomberg News report “Fiat Says Jeep® Output May Return to China as Demand Rises” stated “Chrysler currently builds all Jeep SUV models at plants in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio. Manley (President and CEO of the Jeep brand) referred to adding Jeep production sites rather than shifting output from North America to China.”

Despite clear and accurate reporting, the take has given birth to a number of stories making readers believe that Chrysler plans to shift all Jeep production to China from North America, and therefore idle assembly lines and U.S. workforce. It is a leap that would be difficult even for professional circus acrobats.

Let’s set the record straight: Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China. It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation. A careful and unbiased reading of the Bloomberg take would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 14

It's not outsourcing when they're manufacturing for that country. Manufacturing in-country makes it affordable to sell in-country. Just like Ford in other countries and just like Toyota does in the U.S.

You know that Cris but Romney is implying differently to scare voters. Chrysler upset with the accusations but Romney doesn't back off. What a guy!

No twisting of words at all....If the Jeeps that would be built here

(in the US) are now built in China...Who gets the job of building?

Is it twisting words to say, a Chinese worker will be building them?

How is that possibly misleading? Who the frig would be building the

frigging Jeeps? :D

• Upvote 9

Sure is difficult to understand or intrpret when the statement contradicts itself. Why review the possibilties if there is no intention?!! Maybe I, along with others, am certainly misunderstanding? I prefer a liitle more direct clarity... not a fan of guessing what "someone" means. :)

Marchionne.. Another good one...NOT......Just ask the Italian FIAT Workers to whom he made lots of promises which as usual were never fulfilled...He keeps shutting plants here as if there's no tomorrow ( and there will be no tomorrow for those workers)..Never mind if FIAT grabbed tons and tons of public money for decades literally....

Bet he was a slave trader in another life.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

No twisting of words at all....If the Jeeps that would be built here

(in the US) are now built in China...Who gets the job of building?

Is it twisting words to say, a Chinese worker will be building them?

How is that possibly misleading? Who the frig would be building the

frigging Jeeps? :D

I don't know if they currently ship any jeeps to China. Chrysler announce hiring of another 1100 or so people here in the U.S. There's no reduction in workers.

Chrysler’s intention is to sell Jeeps and possibly its entire model lineup in China. This may include production in China, but for the Chinese market, not the U.S. market.

Sure is difficult to understand or intrpret when the statement contradicts itself. Why review the possibilties if there is no intention?!! Maybe I, along with others, am certainly misunderstanding? I prefer a liitle more direct clarity... not a fan of guessing what "someone" means. :)

Output means production; production for China, not the U.S.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Romney ad Direct Quote:

Obama took GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy and sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China. Mitt Romney will fight for every American job," the ad says.

Since the Italian Owner is in negotiations to build Jeeps in China

The ad is clearly truthful

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Romney ad Direct Quote:

Obama took GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy and sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China. Mitt Romney will fight for every American job," the ad says.

Since the Italian Owner is in negotiations to build Jeeps in China

The ad is clearly truthful

“I saw a story today that one of the great manufacturers in this state, Jeep—now owned by the Italians — is thinking of moving all production to China,” Romney told a crowd in Ohio. “I will fight for every good job in America. I’m going to fight to make sure trade is fair, and if it’s fair America will win.”

It's the game of implicating jobs will be loss just as you stated in a post above. Romney twisting it and Chrysler is simply disappointed with his ads. Those words could perhaps damage their business.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

The Romney campaign has jumped the lie shark with their new ad slyly building on the lie that Chrysler is moving Jeep jobs to China. Romney told this easily disproven falsehood to Ohioans at a rally last week. Chrysler pointed out that a “careful and unbiased” understanding “would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments.”

When asked to comment on Romney’s claims, the Romney campaign at first refused to comment and then defended the lie with an already debunked Bloomberg article that everyone knows is wrong. The press is not impressed. It seems they have finally met a lie they can’t excuse.

Here’s a roundup from OFA of the brutal reaction:

Detroit Free Press: “Not only was the story wrong, Romney took criticism for not knowing better and repeating it without questioning it.

Toledo Blade: “‘The latest Romney ad, I will grant you, is a clever play on words to avoid saying things that are utterly false,’ Mr. Rattner said, referring to a new Romney ad out today. But he said the implication of the ad is ‘just not true. Chrysler is adding people. It’s made major investments in the Toledo Wrangler plant.’”

Huffington Post: “Where the ad goes from misleading to something more nefarious is in the text it shows. At one point, it displays a line from a Bloomberg story stating that Chrysler “plans to return Jeep output to China,” the implication being that the company is moving operations there as opposed to expanding operations that are already there.”

Wall Street Journal: “So far, the Romney campaign hasn’t issued a public statement on the flap.” My link

Chrysler: Let’s set the record straight: Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China. It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation. A careful and unbiased reading of the Bloomberg take would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments.

But even though Romney was caught with his pants down, he's now put up a new television ad that continues to push the Jeep-to-China lie. What a guy!

Of course Chrysler would say that. However, they did go on to say that some production would start in China, but only for their Chinese market...............yeah, right. Chrysler must say things like this because some major owners are the U.S. govmint and the UAW. The fact of the matter is that they ARE starting up production in China, and guess what, after O is gone, and after sensitivity dies down, and after they've proven to themselves that producing there then shipping back here for sales is cheaper....................production lines here will begin to vanish.

I know that you like O, but you must admit that Romney knows that business model better than we do. He has made a fortune getting to know it. Of course he is right on this. The Detroit Free Press, and HuffPo are in the Tank for O, and you know it.

Reading is hard.

• Upvote 1

Wow cris I laughed so hard my glass eye almost popped out!

The number one The RCA dog thats funny! you got some good lines for an english major.

And simple I know what you feel like now its hard to voice a opinion on a republican board.

I just roll with it and take my punches.We should'nt be negged for our beliefs or views

but what can we do. Just like simple and I you cant wonder what we are going to do or say.

dam I am out of pluses simple take it easy man I only get so many.I like simple he's alright

for a human being.We stick our necks out to be chopped off on views alone.I think cris should be

our president and simple our vice president.Umbertino would make a good community activist.

I will be the sanitation engineer taking out the trash.while listening to muzak in the truck.

And let Adam be PM of Iraq.Southwestfloridaguy can be the president of the CBI. Goog Enough?

And for the rest of you all you have to do is cash in and spend!

• Upvote 1

Of course Chrysler would say that. However, they did go on to say that some production would start in China, but only for their Chinese market...............yeah, right. Chrysler must say things like this because some major owners are the U.S. govmint and the UAW. The fact of the matter is that they ARE starting up production in China, and guess what, after O is gone, and after sensitivity dies down, and after they've proven to themselves that producing there then shipping back here for sales is cheaper....................production lines here will begin to vanish.

I know that you like O, but you must admit that Romney knows that business model better than we do. He has made a fortune getting to know it. Of course he is right on this. The Detroit Free Press, and HuffPo are in the Tank for O, and you know it.

Reading is hard.

There's absolutely no talk, information or evidence in Chrysler 'moving' jeep.... you're making up 'what ifs' now. This was spun from Mitt reading a story like he said, by Chrysler, and jumped on it with a twist.

Why are you guys so afraid of this article? Negs for a gripe of words between Chrysler and Mitt Romney. Chrysler try to set him straight, and he keeps it coming. Supporting your candidate is one thing but you guys are impossibly overly protective.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That pig just dont fly. If there doing more there that takes away from what we could have done here. Its still job loss.

• Upvote 1

That pig just dont fly. If there doing more there that takes away from what we could have done here. Its still job loss.

According to Chrysler, they're hiring another 1,100 or so. As a business person, to compete in China they would at least need to lower shipping cost.

• Upvote 1

Why does it surprise anyone that Mitt was caught in a lie? Everytime Mitt opens his mouth it is a LIE!!!

I am not going to even dignify that with a response. I will however ask you, what do you call what Mr, Obama did to cover up his action in the Libya attack? I believe he was even challenged on the one of the late night shows about lying about Mitt during the debates.......

• Upvote 3

Or force China to be a better trading partner.

Shipping cost is a line line item. Back on topic, why wouldn't Romney back off his distorted version of Chrysler story when asked? He change the ad but still left implication of jobs leaving, funny.

I am not going to even dignify that with a response. I will however ask you, what do you call what Mr, Obama did to cover up his action in the Libya attack? I believe he was even challenged on the one of the late night shows about lying about Mitt during the debates.......

See how easily a thread can be hi-jacked or change directions?

• Upvote 1

Last week, Bloomberg News ran a story with this headline: "Fiat Says Jeep Output May Return to China as Demand Rises".

There are three ways you could look at that.

1. You could cock your head to the side like Nipper the RCA dog and wonder what the heck it means.

2. You could assume that the writer simply chose a clumsy headline for a story that should've been titled something like, "Jeep May Reopen Factories In China".

3. You could assume that Chrysler's Italian overlords are moving the design, research, and manufacturing facilities of one of America's most popular automotive brands to China (for cheap labor, less regulation, more incentives, take your pick)

As we pointed out last week at Motor Authority, the Bloomberg story referred to the production of Jeep vehicles for the Chinese auto market: "Today, all Jeep models are produced in the United States, at assembly lines in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio. In the pre-Fiat days, however, some Jeep models destined for China were built in in Chinese plants."

And that is what the author of the Bloomberg article with the poorly worded headline was going on about. To streamline production during the Great Recession, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne housed manufacturing for the Chinese market in the U.S. To meet growing demand, however, Marchionne is now in talks with Guangzhou Automobile Group about the possibility of making some -- or perhaps all -- Chinese-bound Jeeps in China itself.

Sad thing about this whole mess is "the government using tax payers dollars "sold the toxic chrysler stock to fiat ,at a loss of 2 billion dollars that the U.S tax payers on the hook for. Another obumer success story... Three weeks ago we had G.M motors announced joint partnership with china and we all know where that deal will end up..... :blink: And we all know the chevy volt which obama used millions in research and development shut down asembly lines due to poor sales. <_<

• Upvote 1

Sad thing about this whole mess is "the government using tax payers dollars "sold the toxic chrysler stock to fiat ,at a loss of 2 billion dollars that the U.S tax payers on the hook for. Another obumer success story... Three weeks ago we had G.M motors announced joint partnership with china and we all know where that deal will end up..... :blink: And we all know the chevy volt which obama used millions in research and development shut down asembly lines due to poor sales. <_<

Totally out of line, but if you post these remarks, provide a link for accuracy of your actual accusations.

I'll take a stab at that question....

Because its Marchionne that is stating,

that he's in negotiations to build Jeeps in China? ;)

LOL avoiding the implications of job loss remember. You're saying it's okay to mislead, like candidates do?

• Upvote 1