Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Over $60,000 in Welfare Spent PER HOUSEHOLD....

Snotrocket

Now I ask you...who would EVER be motivated to give that up? Making the poor too comfortable in their "poverty" only creates permanent dependency. If so many are in the cart...and it's so damn nice in the cart....WHO THE HELL WANTS TO PULL THE CART? :blink:

New data compiled by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee shows that, last year, the United States spent over $60,000 to support welfare programs per each household that is in poverty. The calculations are based on data from the Census, the Office of Management and Budget, and the Congressional Research Services.

"According to the Census’s American Community Survey, the number of households with incomes below the poverty line in 2011 was 16,807,795," the Senate Budget Committee notes. "If you divide total federal and state spending by the number of households with incomes below the poverty line, the average spending per household in poverty was $61,194 in 2011."

This dollar figure is almost three times the amount the average household on poverty lives on per year. "If the spending on these programs were converted into cash, and distributed exclusively to the nation’s households below the poverty line, this cash amount would be over 2.5 times the federal poverty threshold for a family of four, which in 2011 was $22,350 (see table in this link)," the Republicans on the Senate Budget Committee note.

To be clear, not all households living below the poverty line receive $61,194 worth of assistance per year. After all, many above the poverty line also receive benefits from social welfare programs (e.g. pell grants).

But if welfare is meant to help bring those below the poverty line to a better place, it helps demonstrate that numbers do not add up.

As for the welfare programs, the Republicans on the Senate Budget Committee note:

A congressional report from CRS recently revealed that the United States now spends more on means-tested welfare than any other item in the federal budget—including Social Security, Medicare, or national defense. Including state contributions to the roughly 80 federal poverty programs, the total amount spent in 2011 was approximately $1 trillion. Federal spending alone on these programs was up 32 percent since 2008.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimated that almost 110 million Americans received some form of means-tested welfare in 2011. These figures exclude entitlements like Medicare and Social Security to which people contribute, and they refer exclusively to low-income direct and indirect financial support—such as food stamps, public housing, child care, energy assistance, direct cash aid, etc. For instance, 47 million Americans currently receive food stamps, and USDA has engaged in an aggressive outreach campaign to boost enrollment even further, arguing that “every dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in the economy… It’s the most direct stimulus you can get.” (Economic growth, however, is weaker this year than the two years prior, even as food stamp “stimulus” has reached an all-time high.)

Here's a breakdown of the welfare spending: (Sorry - can't get the chart to load. View it here...)

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/over-60000-welfare-spentper-household-poverty_657889.html?nopager=1

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 2

I'm confused about the article regarding the republican theory about how government funds are spent, which both state and federal government spend the funds on individual families that

is a benefit that helps not hurt. The question is why haven't the republican party investigated the bailout funds the banks received from the welfare program, which amounted to over a trillion

dollars the banks received from the government. Why the country isn't outraged by that amount of funds going to an industry that caused the meltdown by gambling individual funds is crazy

and the republican party agenda is so out of touch with society. Now I will say I'm a wealthy individual and I don't mind my tax dollars helping the poor but I do mind tax dollars spent on wars,

welfare for oil companies and so forth, which one believes that if the democrats wasn't in control the country we would be in a depression right now if the republican party had their way.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 8

Now I ask you...who would EVER be motivated to give that up? Making the poor too comfortable in their "poverty" only creates permanent dependency. If so many are in the cart...and it's so damn nice in the cart....WHO THE HELL WANTS TO PULL THE CART? :blink:

DEAR ROCKET OF SNOT

Best President Ever said it well - I'll also say...many of the reasons people are in poverty is the rich treat LABOR like animals - if they need them, they work them hard, for little money. If Wall Street gambles everything away, they stop hiring and spit them out like garbage - they don't care if people starve.

You're saying don't help these people. Think about it.

Then think about government welfare for large companies - like Raytheon - we spend more on the military than the rest of the world combined...it's NOT really a military - it's a BIG social government program to help big companies - but you don't hear any of this on FOX News, because FOX is there to protect big companies.

IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT BIG GOVERNMENT...KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 18

In the past 10+ yrs. I have been doing remodeling and construction, but because of the economy I have just been mostly doing home repairs and helping landlords get their units rentable (not the most profitable work by any means). I just serviced a newly purchased home that the Landlord wanted to have qualify for Section 8. I don't know all that goes on with that but what I saw made me kinda mad. Here were a family of two adult woman, and I think three kids. The adult woman hardly got off the bed the whole time I was there (in the middle of the day for 4 or 5 hours). They had three big screen T.V.'s going the whole time (though only one was really being watched most of the time). They had the whole cable package with shows I didn't realize anybody would waste their time watching ..."Parking Wars"- a "reality"(???) show about people contesting parking tickets... for real???). emot-shakehead.gif There were fancy smart phones sitting around the house and the place was full of "stuff". I have nothing against any of that... I just don't think it's the taxpayers job to pay for other people to have that stuff while they sit on their lazy arss and do nothing to earn it.

I have a deep respect for the self worth that is gained by the individual who earns their pay check by the sweat of their brow. There is no better way to understand how things really work then by earning a paycheck and finding out what it takes to maintain a household. We have an 18 yr. old who just told my wife.. "man, that stuff is expensive" when we asked him to contribute to a few of the household needs. He never payed attention to that stuff before, but now that he has to spend some of his hard earned paycheck to buy that stuff it's finally hitting home! wink.gif

Unfortunately we now have multi-generational families on welfare doing what that service was never intended to do. I am for the adage that it shouldn't be "comfortable" to stay on welfare. There needs to be some incentive for them to get off welfare and go earn their own way. Providing for yourself has several benefits... they would feel better about themselves, they would be a contributor to society instead of an expense, and imo, they would leave a legacy that their kids could be proud of.

• Upvote 14

Good morning Hame - always a pleasure. I never said - nor have I EVER said - that we shouldn't help those in need. It's our moral obligation to do so. HAND UP NOT HAND OUT. The point you libs just can't seem to grasp is that it is human nature to take the path of least resistance...government dependency is SLAVERY. It removes incentive and destroys motivation. $60,000 per household? Really? No wonder so many have given up and gotten in line for their free stuff. Why should they work if they can live so comfortably in "poverty"? Try to stay on topic....hijacking this thread and making it about something else does nothing to further the discussion.

• Upvote 13

Snotrocket ..... Koodos to you for saying what so many think. Our government is teaching people that they are ENTITLED to all these freebies. It's disgusting to see that some of these people do live much better than those of us who go to work everyday.

Give a man a fish & he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish & he eats for life.

• Upvote 7

Just saw an interesting report on 60 Minutes last night. A young man from Pakistan by the name of Shad Khan came to the U.S. several years ago. He got a job for something like $1.20 an hour at the time doing dishes... and he thought that was great.... that meant he made more than 99% of the people of Pakistan. Did he stop there? No... he went on to another company and he invented a new bumper for a certain vehicle, then later buying out the company. Now he manufactures something like 70% of all bumpers in America. He has become one of the wealthiest men in America, he even bought the Jacksonville, Jaguars NFL team. Moral of the story... let someone benefit from their own labor, and they will see the rewards of their efforts... and a person who is willing to advance themselves will do just that. Someone who is happy drinking beer on the weekend and punching a clock from M-F will probably continue to do just that... this is America after all.... the land of dreams. The stipulation is "what is your dream"? If your dream is to just keep drinking beer and watching t.v. that's fine.... live the dream. If however you aspire to grander dreams and your willing to work for those dreams to come true... then if Big Govt.. will just get out of the way you can live that dream too. Even if you come here from another country, become a citizen, work hard, dream big and who knows... you could just buy a football team!!! Just note this... it will "Never" be the Green Bay Packers... they are the only team owned by the fans... and they ain't selling!!! laugh.gif

• Upvote 4

Snotrocket ..... Koodos to you for saying what so many think. Our government is teaching people that they are ENTITLED to all these freebies. It's disgusting to see that some of these people do live much better than those of us who go to work everyday.

Give a man a fish & he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish & he eats for life.

Thank you bobbi. You are so right... I was taught early on to bait my own hook, catch my own fish, clean them humanely and cook 'em up just right! ;)

@RodandStaff - Great posts as usual - thank you for your steady voice of reason. :)

• Upvote 4

There are abusers of the welfare system!

New data compiled by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee...

"If the spending on these programs were converted into cash, and distributed exclusively to the nation’s households below the poverty line, the average spending per household in poverty was $61,194 in 2011."

Read more:

Spending Chart

Defense is still the largest budget item then healthcare and pensions.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

"If the spending on these programs were converted into cash, and distributed exclusively to the nation’s households below the poverty line, the average spending per household in poverty was $61,194 in 2011."

Oh for cryin' out load Simple.....if you're going to QUOTE then just quote and don't embellish. This is the "quote"...

"If the spending on these programs were converted into cash, and distributed exclusively to the nation’s households below the poverty line, this cash amount would be over 2.5 times the federal poverty threshold for a family of four, which in 2011 was $22,350..."

AND STAY ON TOPIC - I'm sick of your diversions and distractions. Is $60,000 per household okay with you? You want to talk about defense spending - start a new thread!

• Upvote 9

Oh for cryin' out load Simple.....if you're going to QUOTE then just quote and don't embellish. This is the "quote"...

"If the spending on these programs were converted into cash, and distributed exclusively to the nation’s households below the poverty line, this cash amount would be over 2.5 times the federal poverty threshold for a family of four, which in 2011 was $22,350..."

AND STAY ON TOPIC - I'm sick of your diversions and distractions. Is $60,000 per household okay with you? You want to talk about defense spending - start a new thread!

Isn't the topic U.S. Federal Spending and comparing with Welfare or don't you know? Don't try to start an argument! You speak in the article as all poverty households received $60,000 and welfare has now taken over defense spending.

You post an article and look for cookies? Just stay on topic and quit crying...

Edited by simple
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Isn't the topic U.S. Federal Spending and comparing with Welfare or don't you know? Don't try to start an argument! You speak in the article as all poverty households received $60,000 and welfare has now taken over defense spending.

You post an article and look for cookies? Just stay on topic and quit crying...

Waaaa! Now you've hurt my feelings! :lol:

This article clearly states.....and I QUOTE...

"..... the United States now spends more on means-tested welfare than any other item in the federal budget—including Social Security, Medicare, or national defense......"

Just stating a fact - not the point of the article which is WELFARE SPENDING. Stay with me here....is $60,000 per household okay with you or not?

• Upvote 3

Waaaa! Now you've hurt my feelings! :lol:

This article clearly states.....and I QUOTE...

"..... the United States now spends more on means-tested welfare than any other item in the federal budget—including Social Security, Medicare, or national defense......"

Just stating a fact - not the point of the article which is WELFARE SPENDING. Stay with me here....is $60,000 per household okay with you or not?

The cost for welfare in 2011 was 500B, 347B in Health Programs. I went through each line item to see where the payments were distributed. Only thing I can figure is the government is inefficient as usual. I also compared to the pass 4 years and noticed that welfare increased by approximately $200B.

The numbers by the party are more or less another way to excite the public that more people receives welfare of some sort. We knew with a recession and unemployment that folks would have to ask for government relief. Let's hope they don't need any longer than a few months to a year. The average is about 7 months, although some people seem to live a lifetime on it.

Some people make it sound like the poverty households received on an average 60k dollars.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

As some have evidenced it is much easier to either blame others for ones personal circumstance or misdirect the conversation. Fact still remains the same, Welfare is one of the biggest economic policy blunders this country has ever seen. Does'nt matter if its individual or corporate,the free handouts need to stop-peace

• Upvote 7

New data compiled by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee...

Read more:

Spending Chart

if they gave that money to the entitled people like you have stated ...they would have bigger flat screen TV,nice rims for the beat up cars ,have there nails done more often,hair done ,they need to get rid of the means card and make them go to a government food self that ONLY give out basic needs,gov cheese ,bread , powdered milk.blocks of butter.corn flakes . and stop paying them ,if they have one kid on welfare and they have two more they only get paid for one kid,

hey rodandstaff doesn't it piss the heck out you to see what craps on our dine?

• Upvote 3

As some have evidenced it is much easier to either blame others for ones personal circumstance or misdirect the conversation. Fact still remains the same, Welfare is one of the biggest economic policy blunders this country has ever seen. Does'nt matter if its individual or corporate,the free handouts need to stop-peace

Caz please explain.

• Upvote 1

I just don't understand why would anyone call themselves a christian and support the republican party, which is all about profits and tax cuts. For example,

remember the topic about abortion (pro life) right, for them it's okay to kill an individual on death row but murder is murder and I don't care how you

slice the pie it's murder. My question is how can 49% of the population be okay with the republican party that wants low wages, while the workers receive

pennies for their work and when they demand more compensation the job leaves or close. This is crazy white, black and whatever the republican only care

about money and if you disagree look at their policies, which is facts research their agenda and see if you are not rich then they don't care about you. That's

a FACT! People wake up the American Dream left when Reagan became President the country as a whole was fine with the tax rate and all of a sudden

he cut the rates and the rich became super rich while the rest of the country plunged into poverty. Research the Facts people.

Edited by best president ever
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

I just don't understand why would anyone call themselves a christian and support the republican party, which is all about profits and tax cuts. For example,

remember the topic about abortion (pro life) right, for them it's okay to kill an individual on death row but murder is murder and I don't care how you

slice the pie it's murder. My question is how can 49% of the population be okay with the republican party that wants low wages, while the workers receive

pennies for their work and when they demand more compensation the job leaves or close. This is crazy white, black and whatever the republican only care

about money and if you disagree look at their policies, which is facts research their agenda and see if you are not rich then they don't care about you. That's

a FACT! People wake up the American Dream left when Reagan became President the country as a whole was fine with the tax rate and all of a sudden

he cut the rates and the rich became super rich while the rest of the country plunged into poverty. Research the Facts people.

:blink: Okay....inane, distorted and completely misinformed comments....but thanks for playing! :lol: You're a hoot BPE - and a fine representative of your ideology! Please stay on topic if you continue to post on this thread (and I hope you do!). LMAO

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:blink: Okay....inane, distorted and completely misinformed comments....but thanks for playing! :lol: You're a hoot BPE - and a fine representative of your ideology! Please stay on topic if you continue to post on this thread (and I hope you do!). LMAO

I was hoping you or Cris would stop by here... I just couldn't find the words (or enough of them) this time!!! :unsure:

That's basically what Ben Stein stated on Fox. However, Snots is leading an outcry over poverty and welfare instead of appealing to the root of the problems which is revenue and spending. His thread so let him have it. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's basically what Ben Stein stated on Fox. However, Snots is leading an outcry over poverty and welfare instead of appealing to the root of the problems which is revenue and spending. His thread so let him have it. :)

She's a lady, simple... pay attention now... :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

slice the pie it's murder.

The Judeao, and Christian law base capital punishment from O.T. Scriptures that when someone murders another innocent person they forfeit their own lives. They are guilty of murder, not the one's enforcing the laws upon them. However... murdering a young innocent child in the womb or through partial birth abortion is still "murder" according to scriptures. So are you justifying killing innocent life's and questioning punishment on guilty murderers? blink.gif

My question is how can 49% of the population be okay with the republican party that wants low wages, while the workers receive

You need to do a little research yourself there sport. Go look... our economy flourished under Reagan. My own business did quite well under that presidency... you know why? A lower tax rate allowed me to be able to afford growing my small business.

You seem to like to bash rich folks... but who would hire the workers if it weren't for the "rich risk taking folks"? And if the Govt. takes all those incentives away from business owners they will do one of two things... leave this country (which they are doing in droves) or close down their business (which is also happening). Your favorite president admits to not getting past 7th grade math... so how do you expect him to crunch the numbers for you? (See Cris's post -http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/132488-economy-failing/page__p__1055280__fromsearch__1entry1055280 ). I want someone in office who first knows how to run by a budget and stay within that budget... which this president hasn't had since he's been in office, and he see's no limit on how deep he wants to drive us into debt. If he continues to be president, and continues to spend at the rate he has been spending.... our national debt will exceed 21 Trillion Dollars! Can any one of us live with that??? dry.gif

Oh there has been one rich person who has done well under this administration... but he hasn't created any jobs yet!!! dry.gif

552175_165169573622313_484849807_n.jpg

But you can go ahead an vote for that rich guy if you want... I prefer to vote for the guy who understands how to run his own business and has proved himself over and over again! wink.gif

• Upvote 5

Snotrocket your doing awesome, I thought I step in but I see that your doing quiet well. You go girl. I'm proud of you, your keeping it clean...LOL

I lot of their responses are so inside out. They just can't seem to see the picture of what it's going to take to get this country back on the track to prosperity.

Mr. Jax and Rodandstaff, I like how your heart speaks of our America. ;)

• Upvote 3