Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

AP poll: Majority of Americans express negative view of blacks

yota691

AP%20Poll%20Racial%20Attitudes.JPEG-06089.jpg

Pablo Martinez Monsivais/Associated Press - FILE - In this Oct. 25, 2012 file photo, President Barack Obama speaks to supporters at a campaign event at Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport, in Cleveland Ohio. Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the United States elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll finds, as a slight majority of Americans now express prejudice toward blacks whether they recognize those feelings or not. Those views could cost Obama votes as he tries for re-election, the survey found, though the effects are mitigated by some Americans’ more favorable views of blacks.

Text Size PrintE-mailReprints

By Associated Press, Updated: Saturday, October 27, 4:17 AM

WASHINGTON — Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the United States elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll finds, as a slight majority of Americans now express prejudice toward blacks whether they recognize those feelings or not.

Those views could cost President Barack Obama votes as he tries for re-election, the survey found, though the effects are mitigated by some Americans’ more favorable views of blacks.

Racial prejudice has increased slightly since 2008 whether those feelings were measured using questions that explicitly asked respondents about racist attitudes, or through an experimental test that measured implicit views toward race without asking questions about that topic directly.

In all, 51 percent of Americans now express explicit anti-black attitudes, compared with 48 percent in a similar 2008 survey. When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the number of Americans with anti-black sentiments jumped to 56 percent, up from 49 percent during the last presidential election. In both tests, the share of Americans expressing pro-black attitudes fell.

“As much as we’d hope the impact of race would decline over time ... it appears the impact of anti-black sentiment on voting is about the same as it was four years ago,” said Jon Krosnick, a Stanford University professor who worked with AP to develop the survey.

Most Americans expressed anti-Hispanic sentiments, too. In an AP survey done in 2011, 52 percent of non-Hispanic whites expressed anti-Hispanic attitudes. That figure rose to 57 percent in the implicit test. The survey on Hispanics had no past data for comparison.

The AP surveys were conducted with researchers from Stanford University, the University of Michigan and NORC at the University of Chicago.

Experts on race said they were not surprised by the findings.

“We have this false idea that there is uniformity in progress and that things change in one big step. That is not the way history has worked,” said Jelani Cobb, professor of history and director of the Institute for African-American Studies at the University of Connecticut. “When we’ve seen progress, we’ve also seen backlash.”

Obama himself has tread cautiously on the subject of race, but many African-Americans have talked openly about perceived antagonism toward them since Obama took office. As evidence, they point to events involving police brutality or cite bumper stickers, cartoons and protest posters that mock the president as a lion or a monkey, or lynch him in effigy.

“Part of it is growing polarization within American society,” said Fredrick Harris, director of the Institute for Research in African-American Studies at Columbia University. “The last Democrat in the White House said we had to have a national discussion about race. There’s been total silence around issues of race with this president. But, as you see, whether there is silence, or an elevation of the discussion of race, you still have polarization. It will take more generations, I suspect, before we eliminate these deep feelings.” Overall, the survey found that by virtue of racial prejudice, Obama could lose 5 percentage points off his share of the popular vote in his Nov. 6 contest against Republican challenger Mitt Romney. However, Obama also stands to benefit from a 3 percentage point gain due to pro-black sentiment, researchers said. Overall, that means an estimated net loss of 2 percentage points due to anti-black attitudes.

The poll finds that racial prejudice is not limited to one group of partisans. Although Republicans were more likely than Democrats to express racial prejudice in the questions measuring explicit racism (79 percent among Republicans compared with 32 percent among Democrats), the implicit test found little difference between the two parties. That test showed a majority of both Democrats and Republicans held anti-black feelings (55 percent of Democrats and 64 percent of Republicans), as did about half of political independents (49 percent).

Obama faced a similar situation in 2008, the survey then found.

The Associated Press developed the surveys to measure sensitive racial views in several ways and repeated those studies several times between 2008 and 2012.

The explicit racism measures asked respondents whether they agreed or disagreed with a series of statements about black and Hispanic people. In addition, the surveys asked how well respondents thought certain words, such as “friendly,” ‘’hardworking,” ‘’violent” and “lazy,” described blacks, whites and Hispanics.

The same respondents were also administered a survey designed to measure implicit racism, in which a photo of a black, Hispanic or white male flashed on the screen before a neutral image of a Chinese character. The respondents were then asked to rate their feelings toward the Chinese character. Previous research has shown that people transfer their feelings about the photo onto the character, allowing researchers to measure racist feelings even if a respondent does not acknowledge them.

Results from those questions were analyzed with poll takers’ ages, partisan beliefs, views on Obama and Romney and other factors, which allowed researchers to predict the likelihood that people would vote for either Obama or Romney. Those models were then used to estimate the net impact of each factor on the candidates’ support.

All the surveys were conducted online. Other research has shown that poll takers are more likely to share unpopular attitudes when they are filling out a survey using a computer rather than speaking with an interviewer. Respondents were randomly selected from a nationally representative panel maintained by GfK Custom Research.

Overall results from each survey have a margin of sampling error of approximately plus or minus 4 percentage points. The most recent poll, measuring anti-black views, was conducted Aug. 30 to Sept. 11.

Andra Gillespie, an Emory University political scientist who studies race-neutrality among black politicians, contrasted the situation to that faced by the first black mayors elected in major U.S. cities, the closest parallel to Obama’s first-black situation. Those mayors, she said, typically won about 20 percent of the white vote in their first races, but when seeking reelection they enjoyed greater white support presumably because “the whites who stayed in the cities ... became more comfortable with a black executive.”

“President Obama’s election clearly didn’t change those who appear to be sort of hard-wired folks with racial resentment,” she said.

Negative racial attitudes can manifest in policy, noted Alan Jenkins, an assistant solicitor general during the Clinton administration and now executive director of the Opportunity Agenda think tank.

“That has very real circumstances in the way people are treated by police, the way kids are treated by teachers, the way home seekers are treated by landlords and real estate agents,” Jenkins said.

Hakeem Jeffries, a New York state assemblyman and candidate for a congressional seat being vacated by a fellow black Democrat, called it troubling that more progress on racial attitudes had not been made. Jeffries has fought a New York City police program of “stop and frisk” that has affected mostly blacks and Latinos but which supporters contend is not racially focused.

“I do remain cautiously optimistic that the future of America bends toward the side of increased racial tolerance,” Jeffries said. “We’ve come a long way, but clearly these results demonstrate there’s a long way to go.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ap-poll-majority-of-americans-still-express-negative-view-of-blacks/2012/10/27/421d683a-2009-11e2-8817-41b9a7aaabc7_story.html

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

***///

The great deceiver --- is also the great divider.

He has intentionally race-baited this Nation to further his own agenda.

May he ever go down in history as such:

..........the great divider

a coward who split a once Great Nation

.........with his lies and axe of hatred.

this antithesis of Lincoln is no more than an evil devil. :angry:

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

I like how it said we have become more racist weather we know it or not. Hmmmmm I guess we just dont know our own minds anymore. We should just let these people tell us how we really feel. Yeah right. That`s the dumbest shat I have ever read

And women need a good man to help them with their Lady Parts :lol:

• Upvote 5

***///

No doubt, the biggest racist of all is Obama. Their will always be racism in this country until blacks can stop living by a double standard, cuz remember you can only be racist if you are white! <_<

And women need a good man to help them with their Lady Parts :lol:

ROFL, don't let Tif aka Black Swan hear you say that buddy, according to her our only usefulness is killing those nasty spiders that sometimes invade the bathroom!! :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 2

***///

you nailed it!

• Upvote 3

DISSENT IS NOT RACISM!

I am from the Great Free State of Kansas. Wasn't raised with racist attitudes nor do I subscribe to them now. It has shocked me over the last 4 years, how many times I've been called a racist simply because I disagree with the ideology of the left. I know it's a diversion and I've become tempered to the accusation....but it still pisses me off! :angry:

• Upvote 4

Few months ago I was called racist, because of my anti obama stickers.Well needless to say, I threw it back at his face and qickly explain why.It piss him off because I thew it back in his face.The man just stump off in his own little world.I just tell them like it is, if anybody is a racist is them, because all they see is a black man as a victim.I see a black man I want him to go to college and become someone like a Doctor not on walfare or prison.The Democrats will keep you on slavery to welfare rolls and keep the black man under there feet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

DISSENT IS NOT RACISM!

I am from the Great Free State of Kansas. Wasn't raised with racist attitudes nor do I subscribe to them now. It has shocked me over the last 4 years, how many times I've been called a racist simply because I disagree with the ideology of the left. I know it's a diversion and I've become tempered to the accusation....but it still pisses me off! :angry:

Snotrocket... I do agree with you on the above in that it's really disturbing obviously to be called / deemed a racist when in actuality we happen not to be one...

It's also true that most racists will never admit ( except extreme cases) they are that. Infact they are pissed off the most when called that as a general rule.

Bottom line... only each single Person knows deeply inside if they are racist or not, granted they're sincere enough with themselves.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

Few months ago I was called racist, because of my anti obama stickers.Well needless to say, I threw it back at his face and qickly explain why.It piss him off because I thew it back in his face.The man just stump off in his own little world.I just tell them like it is, if anybody is a racist is them, because all they see is a black man as a victim.I see a black man I want him to go to college and become someone like a Doctor not on walfare or prison.The Democrats will keep you on slavery to welfare rolls and keep the black man under there feet.

Hmmm ......really. You want to see them go to college and become a doctor? :huh: That's success to you huh?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

YES IS!! You success is call WELFARE,right!!

No I agree, for Blacks to become a doctor or someone like a doctor is fantastic. I'm trying to wrap my head around that as the answer to a success person - for a certain race.

Edited by simple
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

More then what your offering simple is nothing.They have mind and they should be able use it.The dems want them to have the simple life of welfare.

Man you're nuts, I work with a group of Blacks worth over a half billion. I wouldn't insult them by saying they should have inspired to be a doctor or something. These guys have enriched me by far. These guys use their minds - and very well! I don't know where you live or what relationships you have with Blacks, but that's pretty shallow.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

hogwash

tell them todo a survey on black people having a negative view on white people .. the racist democrat party wont do that kind of poll .. if they did they would never publish it ..

every race is racist .. ask why italy has so many italians ... and why does china have so many chinese .. why africa has so many blacks .. why india has do many indians .. why the middle east has so many arabs ...

the whole world is and has been racist for thousands of years .. .. you can pick out the white racists .. the black racists .. the italian racists .. the chinese racists ... the mexican racists .... everyone thinks their race is superior ... get over it ... go to africa where the black race is in the majority and the poll will say the majority of africa has a negative view of white people .. .. ask the chinese about other races ..

if ya just look at the world boundarys .. and why the countrys have boundarys .. and within these boundarys are majority of a race in every country ... race wars for thousands of years devided the world to where it is right now ..it didnt happen by coincidence .. races migrate towards there own kind .. you cannot deny the facts .. this pablo character from the ap .. would love to see a race war in the united states .. it would prove they were right to have our world devided by race like their country is .. hey mexico is loaded with mexicans .. i dont call them racists .. they migrated towards their own kind ..its normal .. i dont see people killing people because of skin color even though some blame it on that

racist is not the correct analogy for the poll they took

white people have different cultures in the same race .. so what .. is that racism too.. you cant say white people this or white people that .. ////or black people this or that .. each race has their divisions ..like the demoncrats say ,,its a big tent .. and it is devided .. skinny people think fat people are lazy .. whats that called ?

tall people and midgets are very different .. republicans and demoncrats .. hey get over it pablo

• Upvote 1

hogwash

tell them todo a survey on black people having a negative view on white people .. the racist democrat party wont do that kind of poll .. if they did they would never publish it ..

every race is racist .. ask why italy has so many italians ... and why does china have so many chinese .. why africa has so many blacks .. why india has do many indians .. why the middle east has so many arabs ...

Agree Dontlop!

End Quote

Ok... I had forgotten to add (but it was kinda obvious) in my previous post that what I had stated does apply to all races and ethnicities...The idea of racism... Every race and ethnicity has racist elements inside of them.

Common sense would dictate that racism ( judging and deeming someone inferior only based on their race /ethnic group) is ALWAYS despicable and to be absolutely condemned with no if's and but's from any race toward any other race.

Education also plays supposedly a very big part but there's nothing like personal involvement ( friendship, love, and a few steps away also work collaboration)

Edited by umbertino

A simple way to fight racism and the main reason for it ( fear of the "different" from us) is , I think, a deep personal relationship with one from another race ( love involvement, marriage, strong friendship, etc).....So both parties on each race side ( family , friends, etc) will realize there's nothing to be afraid of and that some cliches and commonplaces about a certain race are just that .

Education also plays supposedly a very big part but there's nothing like personal involvement ( friendship, love, and a few steps away also work collaboration)

As usual what I have stated is only my very humble opinion.

i dont see fear in racism.. i see species migrating towards their own kind .... animals do it too .. if 5 aliens from outer space came to earth .. one went to china .. one went to india .... one went to iceland ... one went to niger africa .. and one went to united states ..

then they went home and gave a report about the people on earth ... they would all desrcibe a different place . culture .. color of people .. except the one that came to the united states .. the united states is different from all other places on earth .. some people push racist agendas in the united states ..like lewis farakan ... al sharpton .. reverand write .. jesse jackson ... now who has a negative view of who in the united states

what is the white equivilance of the black panther party .. the black caucus .. the naacp ...

what about mafias .. and gangs ..the italian mafia .. the mexican mafia ..

we are supposed to just let illegals wonder around from who knows where .. with no id .. and no stereotyping .. discard our own imigration laws .. because we all know no other country in the world has imigration laws .. only the united states does .. because we are racist ..

if a hindred million chinese come to america illegally we cannot stereotype and ask for proof of citizenship because that would be racisism .. but every other country in the world its ok to enforce their immigration laws

if you had a pasture half of it was full of cows and half of it was full of people .. and you set a cow lose at the edge of that pasture .. where would that cow go .. would it walk into the crowd of people .. or would it walk intro the crowd of cows ?

i dont see fear in racism.. i see species migrating towards their own kind .... animals do it too .. if 5 aliens from outer space came to earth .. one went to china .. one went to india .... one went to iceland ... one went to niger africa .. and one went to united states ..

then they went home and gave a report about the people on earth ... they would all desrcibe a different place . culture .. color of people .. except the one that came to the united states .. the united states is different from all other places on earth .. some people push racist agendas in the united states ..like lewis farakan ... al sharpton .. reverand write .. jesse jackson ... now who has a negative view of who in the united states

what is the white equivilance of the black panther party .. the black caucus .. the naacp ...

what about mafias .. and gangs ..the italian mafia .. the mexican mafia ..

we are supposed to just let illegals wonder around from who knows where .. with no id .. and no stereotyping .. discard our own imigration laws .. because we all know no other country in the world has imigration laws .. only the united states does .. because we are racist ..

The white equivalence ? Thats easy The Moose lodge. I have never met more dangerous characters in one place in my life. Just the way they set their and drink beer all night and play yuker. Yep you know there up to no good. laugh.gif

I tend to look at myself as a not being a racist. Born and raised in the deep south in 1950, my parents were racist, my grand parents were racist, and my great great grandparents owned a plantation complete with a workforce of slaves. My elders were also deeply religious, which always played with my psyche since they would use the N word daily and deride blacks, while at the same time teaching me that Jesus loves ALL the children - red & yellow black & white. Fortunately, I adopted Jesus' opinions more than the racist upbringing. I had a black business partner from 1981 - 1995, and I never thought about his skin color, he was just a fine man with values very similar to my own.

Along came Barry. I didn't vote for him, but it certainly wasn't because of his skin color. I was actually somewhat excited that in my lifetime we had gone from the extreme racism of the 50's and 60's to electing a black president. Well, shortly after his inauguration, the incident occurred where the 2 cops arrested the black Harvard Prof for breaking in his own house. Immediately, the cries of RACISM rang throughout the land, by the media, the usual race baiters, and unbelievably by our new president. Of course as the story unfolded we found that the big problem was between the black officer and the honorable professor with no keys. Next came the exposure of the black panthers on video strong intimidating voters and no legal action being pursued. I could go on, but my point should be made.

Now these events have had an effect on my attitudes about racism. I have tried to ignore these, but I am human. I guess it hard to remain open minded when the racism of my lifetime is reversed and the shoe is on the other foot. Blacks have received preferential treatment from this administration, and it it hard not to harbor some resentment. Not preferential as in busing and EEOC treatment, but preferential treatment in not prosecuting persons committing criminal acts.

Rant over fire the negs

• Upvote 1