Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Election 2012: Fog of right-wing lies is lifting

umbertino

by: Sam Webb

October 19 2012

The most extreme voices in the Republican Party - who in fact control the GOP - have been quiet as church mice as Mitt Romney has migrated to more moderate positions on a range of issues in the closing weeks of his campaign for the presidency.

Should anyone be surprised by the deafening, yet noticeable, silence on the right? I don't believe so. It is very predictable for two reasons.

First, the right wing is ready to do anything - and I mean anything - to win this election. They see it as their political Armageddon, especially given their existential alarm about the changing demographics (majority minority) of the country.

If that means right-wing fundraising political action committees (superPACs) spending hundreds of millions of dollars on anti-Obama attack ads riddled with falsehoods, they will do it. If it means making racist appeals to white voters, they will happily do it. If it means suppressing the vote of people of color, young people and seniors, they will show no hesitation to strangle the laws on voting rights.

And if it means that their candidate has to temporarily shed his "severe conservative" positions because they aren't resonating with voters across the country, in the battleground states, and among women, these folks will be the last to object. Right-wing extremists never allow truth to get in the way of their cause.

The other reason that the extremists on the right are not going apoplectic about Romney's political makeover is that if there is a Romney victory it doesn't matter too much which Mitt shows up at the White House. Why? Because the center of political and legislative initiative, as they see it, will reside not with Romney, but rather with a right-wing controlled Congress.

In the New York Review of Books, Frank Rich penetratingly writes:

... in the event he [Romney] enters the White House, he will serve as a pliant errand boy for the elements in the base he tried and failed to placate throughout the campaign. Grover Norquist spoke for the real powers-that-be in the GOP when he told the Conservative Political Action Committee in February that the GOP candidate's only function as president would be "to sign the legislation that has already been prepared" by the Republican congressional caucus, starting with the government-slashing Ryan budget.

In other words, Romney would be little more than a puppet. He wouldn't call the shots; he wouldn't set the agenda. That would be done on Capitol Hill, particularly in the House of Representatives where tea party Republicans currently reign supreme.

And as we know, the right wing has an agenda to undo all the economic and social legislation enacted ever since the New Deal.

It would overturn the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") to get the ball rolling. And then it would move to destroy Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid in the name of "responsible" deficit reduction.

And from there the GOP extremists in Congress (and on the U.S. Supreme Court) would set their sights on other long-standing social legislation and policies that have protected people's rights and improved living standards.

Nothing in their mind is too sacred to undo; everything is subject to nullification and destruction. Whatever you might say about the right wing, one thing is for sure - when they have their hands on the levers of power, they have no hesitation to use that power in the interests of the 1 percent.

Indeed, they are salivating at the thought of overturning the great legislative achievements of the 20th century - achievements that have brought a measure of security and happiness to millions of Americans.

But what stands in their way at the present moment is millions of Americans who are seeing through the fog of lies and deceptions issuing from the propaganda machine of Romney and the right wing.

I believe - and polls in the battleground states reveal - in the end truth will win out. And people-to-people action will help make it so.

http://www.peoplesworld.org/election-2012-fog-of-right-wing-lies-is-lifting/

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 16

Successful members of this country don’t consider the truth as hate speech.

Being self-supporting is a quality of we, who are proud to be Americans.

Being supported by the system has destroyed many of our citizens.

It will be a victory for American Pride to replace the great destroyer now in office.

• Upvote 1

My friend Umbertino... may I ask an honest question?

Do you have any opinions on each of your political posts?

I know I speak for many, in wondering what your motive is. I will admit that at least what you post provides much needed exposure... allowing much needed opposition to reveal the dishonesty spouted.

Perhaps that's your true motive?!! Hmmm. Or, perhaps your just an instigator that likes to start fires and fan flames?

Your silence, however, reveals the most. Either you truly don't "stand for" anything... or worse, you're a coward. I wish there was a third alternative, but I don't see one... and frankly, as your American friend who has merely hinted at his frustration concerning this... I resent having to guess. And my hinting has become futile... wheras others have been much more overt with their displeasure.

I, along with others who have befriended you, deserve an honest answer. But I will speak for myself in saying, these issues are quite serious, and resentment grows in having anyone treat them as a game. Especially from a foreigner... regardless of his nice reputation.

Please spare me your standard, noncommitted quip of an answer... that's not good enough. I'd enjoy a more substantive response.

Respectfully submitted,

Jax

• Upvote 5

It would overturn the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") to get the ball rolling. And then it would move to destroy Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid in the name of "responsible" deficit reduction

Read more:

First of all, polls show 65% of Americans WANT to overturn Obamacare. Destroy Medicare, social security and Medicaid??? They are already on a path of destruction by virtue of their unsustainable costs! Ryan's plan is to change them and make them solvent, not to remove or completely destroy them! Please get your facts straight. Lets take Medicare as an example.... Ryan's plan changes NOTHING for those 55 or older. What they have now, they will keep!!! Those under 55 will have new options that would make Medicaid and Medicare sustainable for generations to come. Have you even read Ryan's plan or are you just quoting liberal talking points?

• Upvote 2