Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Biden takes side of "middle class" in debate

umbertino

by: John Wojcik

October 12 2012

In his debate with Paul Ryan Thursday night, Vice President Joe Biden took the side of the 47% that Mitt Romney said he doesn't "worry" about, and of the Americans Ryan has called "moochers."

"These people are my mom and dad - the people I grew up with, my neighbors," Biden declared. "They pay more tax than Gov. Romney in his federal income tax. They are elderly people who in fact are living off of Social Security. They are veterans and people fighting in Afghanistan right now."

The vice president went on the offensive, challenging Ryan and Romney's positions (and lies) at every turn. At least half of the debate focused on foreign policy, one of Biden's areas of expertise. Many pundits said Ryan was out of his league in that arena. The Republican ticket is trying to score political points on the killing of the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans in Libya, claiming the administration's policies are "unravelling."

Ryan offered nothing in its place except more saber-rattling, hinting at a possible war with Iran, or sending troops to Syria and keeping Americans on the front lines in Afghanistan.

But it is economic and domestic issues that top voters' concerns in poll after poll. Here Biden drew a sharp line contrasting the Obama administration's pro-middle-class policies with the Romney-Ryan 1% "trickle down" agenda.

Instead of pledging to Grover Norquist to preserve tax cuts for the wealthiest, Republicans should be signing a pledge to the middle class to "level the playing field," and not have "a different set of rules for Wall Street and Main Street," Biden said.

"They're pushing the continuation of a tax cut for the rich that will give an additional $500 billion in tax cuts" to a tiny number of rich families, he said. The Republicans are "holding hostage the middle-class tax cut ... unless we give them the tax cut for the super wealthy."

Biden slammed Republicans for holding up passage of President Obama's jobs bill which would create millions of good-paying construction and infrastructure jobs. And he exposed Ryan for his hypocritical attacks on the president's stimulus program.

"It's about time," Biden said, pointing to Ryan, "that they take some responsibility here."

Exposing Ryan's hypocrisy on the stimulus, Biden said, "He sent me two letters asking for stimulus money in his own state of Wisconsin. I love that. I love that."

Laughing, he said, "The stimulus is such a bad program and he [Ryan] writes a letter saying the reason he needs the stimulus is that it will create growth and jobs. Those were his words."

On a less humorous note, the 50 million watching the debate last night got a frightening glimpse of what life would be like for workers in a future designed by the Romney-Ryan ticket.

That future, the debate made clear, would be one in which seniors are required to toil until they are 70 before they could collect on what will have become a woefully inadequate Social Security - inadequate because it will be a privatized system with most of its funding controlled by the gamblers on Wall Street.

People would have to wait at least two years longer, until they are 67, to get Medicare's comprehensive health care. But it won't be health care like Medicare recipients get today. Instead, in that Romney-Ryan future seniors will get a "premium support" - in other words a voucher - and search for an insurance company willing to cover the sick and old. And with a likely higher price, seniors will have to pick up the tab for what the voucher doesn't cover.

In that future, while the majority of seniors get vouchers, millionaires and billionaires will continue to receive massive tax cuts paid for by working people.

Besides his call to privatize Social Security, Ryan also revealed that they would raise the retirement age to 70 and slash ocial Security benefits for middle-income workers using a "progressive price index formula change," code for cutting benefits.

According to the Social Security chief actuary, a medium income earner, someone who made $43,000 in 2010, would see substantial benefit cuts under Romney's plan. For a person retiring in 2030, the cut is $2,396. For a person retiring in 2050, the cut is $4,730.

"Stop obstructing what has to be done to grow the economy, stop blocking the American Jobs Act, stop blocking foreclosure relief," Biden demanded in Thursday night's debate. "We will not turn Medicare into a privatized voucher system, leaving seniors at the mercy of private insurance companies," he declared.

Biden destroyed Ryan's repeated claim, echoing Romney, that President Obama is taking $716 billion out of Medicare to pay for Obamacare.

The vice president explained clearly how Obama's health reform cuts wasteful subsidies to private insurers and excessive payments to providers - not cuts to Medicare benefits or to beneficiaries.

Responding to moderator Martha Raddatz's question about the candidates' religious beliefs and abortion, Ryan indicated women's reproductive rights would face a grim future under their administration.

By contrast Biden gave a powerful defense of separation of church and state and women's right to choose when to bear a child. Saying he personally accepted his church's teaching on abortion, Biden said "I will not impose that on equally devout Christians, Muslims and Jews, I just refuse to impose that on others - unlike my friend here."

Biden also cited "Catholic social doctrine, which talks about taking care of those who can't take care of themselves, people who need help."

After the debate a CBS snap poll showed Biden beating Ryan 50 to 31 among independents. Other polls were more evenly divided.

Biden's spirited performance showed the Obama-Biden ticket is determined to fight hard to prevent a Romney-Ryan White House takeover.

http://www.peoplesworld.org/biden-takes-side-of-middle-class-in-debate/

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 19

Biden acted like a fool in that debate. He sat over there giggling like a little girl and kept interrupting Ryan because Ryan was exposing their lame record in the last 4 years. He twice said that Ryan voted to put 2 wars on a credit card when the truth of the matter is that he voted for both of those wars. What a hypocrite. We need to kick them both to the curb NOW!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Biden acted like a fool in that debate. He sat over there giggling like a little girl and kept interrupting Ryan because Ryan was exposing their lame record in the last 4 years. He twice said that Ryan voted to put 2 wars on a credit card when the truth of the matter is that he voted for both of those wars. What a hypocrite. We need to kick them both to the curb NOW!

He took one for the party and said not tonight my friend.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Biden is f' ing the middle class. business will lay people off if you raise taxes. Corporations dont pay tax......they will tgrow it all on the middle class consumer. obamacare is the biggest tax increase in the history of the u.s.

Crazy uncle joe...lubed up the middle class and screwed em good. thanks you loud pompous...emotional unstable idiot

• Upvote 6

Biden is f' ing the middle class. business will lay people off if you raise taxes. Corporations dont pay tax......they will tgrow it all on the middle class consumer. obamacare is the biggest tax increase in the history of the u.s.

Crazy uncle joe...lubed up the middle class and screwed em good. thanks you loud pompous...emotional unstable idiot

+1 from me... Well said

• Upvote 1

Who is Biden raise taxes on? Be specific.

• Upvote 3

Isnt that his stated goal.....to get people to pay their fair share? Problem here is uncle joe......business either dont invest.........take their business elsewhere.....or pass the tax onto the consumer. raising taxes on the rich...is a blind tax on the middle class. obamacareis the largest tax in american history.

biden is a vp....and doesnt approve tax laws......buthe sure in the heck advocates for taxmageddon

and that idiot states he works for themiddle class.

he said it himself...." ive been working on social security since 1983". Yeah....you idiot admit youve been there 30 years and its still screwed up and almost insolvent. your the problem joe bite me

Edited by sandstorm
  • Upvote 3

Isnt that his stated goal.....to get people to pay their fair share? Problem here is uncle joe......business either dont invest.........take their business elsewhere.....or pass the tax onto the consumer. raising taxes on the rich...is a blind tax on the middle class. obamacareis the largest tax in american history.

biden is a vp....and doesnt approve tax laws......buthe sure in the heck advocates for taxmageddon

I should have clarified, if you can, please tell me who or what businesses would be taxed. Who are the people that you're afraid will take their money and run?

• Upvote 3

I should have clarified, if you can, please tell me who or what businesses would be taxed. Who are the people that you're afraid will take their money and run?

Those rich people....who dont pay their fair share...you heard him...right? Businesses wouldnt be affected at all by a tax increase.....just their consumers. companies will always make their margins.....they just pass that tax onto the middle and lower class on purchases. rich people wont have any desire to invest. heck...their already rich.........they will just keep what they got. then the other businesses can make the same margins doing half the work....if they lay off have their work force. increases taxes.....and doing it in the name of those rich.....is just a blind tax...to the middle class. period

the goveernment would run out of sand in the mahave desert if they ran it. the usps losses 25 million a day. .....social security shot.....medicare...unviable.....and this administration wants more programs and stimulus.

its that...simple

Edited by sandstorm
  • Upvote 1

Those rich people....who dont pay their fair share...you heard him...right? Businesses wouldnt be affected at all by a tax increase.....just their consumers. companies will always make their margins.....they just pass that tax onto the middle and lower class on purchases. rich people wont have any desire to invest. heck...their already rich.........they will just keep what they got. then the other businesses can make the same margins doing half the work....if they lay off have their work force. increases taxes.....and doing it in the name of those rich.....is just a blind tax...to the middle class. period

the goveernment would run out of sand in the mahave desert if they ran it. the usps losses 25 million a day. .....social security shot.....medicare...unviable.....and this administration wants more programs and stimulus.

You can't tell me Sandstorm. Can you tell me the portion that own businesses and the portion like Romney paying 14% and less? Romney can't lay anyone off, he's no longer in business.

• Upvote 3

You can't tell me Sandstorm. Can you tell me the portion that own businesses and the portion like Romney paying 14% and less? Romney can't lay anyone off, he's no longer in business.

Romney paid 40% on his original income.....then he invested that taxed money.......and is taxed again...if there is a profit at 14%

The good old government gets ywo or three bites out of romneys money.......then add. sales tax onto everything he buys.

You really think the rich doesnt pay taxes. the problem isnt taxes.....its how much of govenment flushes down the drain......to the muslim brotherhood....to venezuela......etc....on. and on...

not to mention he gives 30% to charity......which is 1:1. ......if the government admislnisters that dollar.....its what .82 cents worth of the original dollar.

Edited by sandstorm
  • Upvote 3

He took one for the party and said not tonight my friend.

I can't even imagine you're serious. This is the most incompetent administration we have ever known. Maybe incompetent is not the word I want maybe the word I'm looking for is UNAMERICAN.

• Upvote 2

Romney is success.....he makes businesses. successful.. if that means you have to lay off workers...because a company hired to many and was going to fail. all those employees would of losttheir job. the reason a company like bain is brought in.....is to keep the company profitable.....which maintains employment for the viable within the company

• Upvote 3

Romney paid 40% on his original income.....then he invested that taxed money.......and is taxed again...if there is a profit at 14%

The good old government gets ywo or three bites out of romneys money.......then add. sales tax onto everything he buys. IF YOU MAKE MONEY ON YOUR INVESTMENTS ITS STILL A PROFIT AND TAXABLE. THE ORIGINAL SHOULD NEVER BE TAXED AGAIN, BUT THE GAINS IS DIFFERENT.

You really think the rich doesnt pay taxes. IF YOU PAY 30% THEY CAN PAY 30%. JUST AN EXAMPLE.

not to mention he gives 30% to charity......which is 1:1. ......if the government admislnisters that dollar.....its what .82 cents worth of the original dollar. PAID TO RAISE APPEARANCE OF TAXES PAID. OVERPAID RIGHT? HE HAS 3 YEARS TO CORRECT.

• Upvote 1

Romney is success.....he makes businesses. successful.. if that means you have to lay off workers...because a company hired to many and was going to fail. all those employees would of losttheir job. the reason a company like bain is brought in.....is to keep the company profitable.....which maintains employment for the viable within the company

Exactly!!

Sorry to butt in here, but Romney can lay folks off if he employs anyone at his household.... Gardeners, housekeepers,etc.

what's more, it is not Romney that Sandstorm was referring to... I am a small business owner that employs people that Biden would call the middle class. My industry has rates that I am hard pressed to increase for the higher rates and expenses that Obamacare will impact. I cannot raise prices to keep my profit margin intact. as my costs of employment increase due to benefit cost increases, I cannot make it up. as I continue paying higher costs and taxes, my salary necessarily decreases to the point that in order for me to make what I deserve to earn for the risk I take to be an employer, I eventually have to lay off workers further hurting his precious entitled class of tax payers.

in other words, Sandstorm is speaking about me.

• Upvote 3

BOTTOM LINE OBAMA spent us into oblivion the first four years and now he wants to make us pay for all his spending the next four years.Think about it what dose he have to loose if he gets in again.He will crush the middle class and know there is no accountability for him as he will be out and cannot run again.

• Upvote 1

Obama is a better salesman than the sham-wow guy. He has convinced the liberal class that more taxes on the private sector is good for the private sector. He has used the human character defect of envy to incite the belief that the poor are carrying the tax burden of this country. Even with top 5% income brackets paying 58.66% of all the taxes collected, Obama has sold the lie that the economic problem is attributed the rich not paying their fair share.

Wake up idiots, the rest of us can see through your American Idol’s (Obama’s) BS

• Upvote 1

Obama is a better salesman than the sham-wow guy. He has convinced the liberal class that more taxes on the private sector is good for the private sector. He has used the human character defect of envy to incite the belief that the poor are carrying the tax burden of this country. Even with top 5% income brackets paying 58.66% of all the taxes collected, Obama has sold the lie that the economic problem is attributed the rich not paying their fair share.

Wake up idiots, the rest of us can see through your American Idol’s (Obama’s) BS

What does fair share mean to you? For example only: you're taxed 30% on your revenue and someone that makes millions taxed at 15%, is that their fair share of revenue?

Sorry to butt in here, but Romney can lay folks off if he employs anyone at his household.... Gardeners, housekeepers,etc.

what's more, it is not Romney that Sandstorm was referring to... I am a small business owner that employs people that Biden would call the middle class. My industry has rates that I am hard pressed to increase for the higher rates and expenses that Obamacare will impact. I cannot raise prices to keep my profit margin intact. as my costs of employment increase due to benefit cost increases, I cannot make it up. as I continue paying higher costs and taxes, my salary necessarily decreases to the point that in order for me to make what I deserve to earn for the risk I take to be an employer, I eventually have to lay off workers further hurting his precious entitled class of tax payers.

in other words, Sandstorm is speaking about me.

Exactly how much would the healthcare cost you?

You make over 250k after expenses. Majority of small businesses make less than 200k after expenses.

• Upvote 2

What does fair share mean to you? For example only: you're taxed 30% on your revenue and someone that makes millions taxed at 15%, is that their fair share of revenue?

Exactly how much would the healthcare cost you?

You make over 250k after expenses. Majority of small businesses make less than 200k after expenses.

your really missing this tax concept. Romney was taxed at 40% on his income. this rich person doesnt have to invest......hes rich.....he can keep his 60% and never put any of that back into the economy. But he decides to invest it.................if he makes big gains add capital gain tax.........and then at the end of the year he will get taxed 14% on his income. Romney and other investors...are investing....teir already taxed money....to risk it........with no guarantees of any gains.....but if they dont lose on the investment, you want them to lose 40 or 50 percent of their investment income.

Do you not see how you kill investment in this country. These rich people........will be much better off not investing....................than to risk it and lose...............and when they win on an investment they lose. You are taking the incentive out of investing....and when people dont invest.....they dont create those new jobs. Why would any american wish to make over 250,000 a year?? Why strive, because at that point your working for the government.

In fact....watch all these companies out there....do half the work.....with half the people.....which will keep them under the 250,000, and they are making the same margins....whether they did 4 times as much work. do you see any positives realy??

Edited by sandstorm
  • Upvote 1

Romney paid his fair share of tax's. Most or all of his income was from long term investments. He paid the same tax rate that the rest of us want to pay when are Dinars hit.

I don't know anyone on this site, you included that wants to pay more than they have to. But you can give the government more if you wish but not out of my pocket.

What also reduced his tax rate is that he tithes to his church and I but you that he gave a higher percentage of his income away than Biden of Obama.

How about that for fact's.

• Upvote 2