Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

US SPECIAL FORCES BACK IN IRAQ

billio0

US Special Forces Deployed in Iraq, Again!

Despite the official US military withdrawal last December, American special forces

"recently" returned to Iraq on a counter-terrorism mission, according to an American

general in charge of weapons sales there. The mission was reported by the New York

Times, in the fifteenth paragraph of a story about deepening sectarian divides.

The irony is that the US is protecting a pro-Iran Shiite

regime in Baghdad against a Sunni-based insurgency

while at the same time supporting a Sunni-led

movement against the Iran-backed dictatorship in

Syria. The Sunni rebellions are occurring in the vast

Sunni region between northwestern Iraq and southern

Syria where borders are porous.

During the Iraq War, many Iraqi insurgents from

Anbar and Diyala provinces took sanctuary in Sunni

areas of Syria. Now they are turning their weapons on

two targets, the al-Malaki government in Baghdad and the Assad regime in Damascus.

The US is caught in the contradictions of proxy wars, favoring Iran's ally in Iraq while

trying to displace Iran's proxy in Syria.

The lethal complication of the US Iraq policy is a military withdrawal that was

propelled by political pressure from public opinion in the US even as the war could not

be won on the battlefield. Military "redeployment", as the scenario is described, is a

general's nightmare. In the case of Vietnam, a "decent interval" was supposedly

arranged by the Nixon administration to create the appearance of an orderly American

withdrawal. During the same "interval", Nixon massively escalated his bombing

campaign to no avail. Two years after the 1973 Paris peace accords, Saigon collapsed.

It is unlikely that the Maliki regime will fall to Sunni insurgents in Iraq, if only because

the Sunni population is approximately twenty percent of the population. However, the

return of US Special Forces is not likely to restore Iraqi stability, and they may become

trapped in crossfire as the sectarian tensions deepen. The real lesson may be for

Afghanistan, where another unwinnable, unaffordable war in support of an unpopular

regime is stumbling towards 2014.

This story is currently running online on The Nation's website.

Thanks for reading, and all comments are welcome.

Billio

• Upvote 5

Thanks for the post Billio0 and great seeing you as always.

You're most welcome, SWFloridaGuy!

With not much in the way of actual and factual IQD/RV news lately, I thought this little piece about the hypocrisy of US foreign policy might be of interest to some here. I remain convinced that we shall see positive movement quite soon, which is why I believe there is little or no news on the imminent revaluation.

The reasons for our government propping up Maliki should be obvious since he has always been the "stick-in-the-mud" when it comes to actual progress in Iraq. Perhaps this information will help those who are uncertain who to vote for in the upcoming election.

Loved the video, Jac!

BilliO - did you read a post done by Big Puller a few weeks back? I thought it was interesting. Among many things, he said 10,000 troops were going back into Iraq. Since then, I have been looking for verification ---because if that were not true, I would dismiss the rest of the post. Your article does confirm that some troops are back in Iraq. I'm going to try to find the post by Big Puller and reread what he said.

when the us put troops in iraq in 2003 ...the liberal media didnt say the us put troops in iraq.. what did they say ?

bush put troops in iraq ..

well .. ill say it ....

OBAMA put troops in iraq ..obama is riding bushs coat tails again .. how would obama be able to put troops in iraq if bush didnt clear out a dictator and 1000s of terrorists .... obama thinks he can quietly slip in some of his troops into iraq and no one will know ..incredible how stupid this president is ..if he had things his way .. saddam would still be in power .. obama still be putting the troops in iraq with saddam in power... obama is an idiot

cant stand democrats....what is a crat anyway

Thanks for the link.

Has anyone seen this on a creditable news source like CNN, or NBC?

nbc is not a credible news source .. and cnn is the worst source for news ..remember cnn getting caught air brushing smoke on their photos .. during the isreali lebanon war a couple years back ? trying to make isreal look bad by decieving their audience?

lol cnn credible ...

why not ask for cbs while your at it .. maybe dan rather can falsify some documents for ya

thats why fox news came into existance .. the media is bought and paid for .. fox exposes them

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1