Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

U.S. gun culture diagnosed as a social disease

umbertino

by: Albert Bender

September 25 2012

Recently, a delegation from Tucson composed of some of the survivors of the mass shooting of January 2011, in which Rep. Gabby Giffords was gravely injured, met with the U.S. attorney general, urging him to take action and letting him know they expect President Obama to present a specific plan to reduce the horrific gun violence plaguing the nation.

In the wake of the two mass shootings this summer, some American physicians consider this country's gun violence a social disease. Mass murders of citizens by other citizens occur here with a frequency seen in no other nation in the world.

The mass murders in Colorado and the racist mass homicides in Wisconsin are illustrative of a type of tragedy for which the U.S. holds a near monopoly. The background facts speak for themselves.

First, the U.S. is awash in firearms. There are roughly 300 million guns in American households (per capita a gun for every citizen - this is the highest concentration in the world).

Second, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has a hugely powerful lobby that has been able to stop nearly any national debate on the issue.

Third, the U.S. has a history of hideous, omnipresent racism that has spawned a proliferation of hate groups among some white Americans -- citizens who have a very deluded, paranoid sense of victimization.

Fourth, massive inequality and poverty, long present in communities of color, has started to impoverish the ranks of hitherto comparatively prosperous Euro-Americans.

Fifth, there are 58 million Americans with significant mental problems (1 in 5).

Sixth, there has been a severe decline in mental health facilities (for this we can thank President Reagan: as California governor he systematically closed mental hospitals, and later as president he cut aid for federally funded community mental health programs).

Seventh, we have an arms industry, opting for profit over humanity, that makes billions each year on the sale of arms to hate-filled racists, the mentally ill and the general public.

With massive numbers of guns available in this country to the mentally ill, the race haters, the drug deranged, the people haters, and with huge inequalities, a lot of innocent citizens will be shot on a regular basis.

The result of a perfect storm of the above factors is an endless string of mass murders each year of innocent men, women and children. Staggeringly, research indicates that 20 mass shootings occur each year. The public only hears about the most egregious. Aside from mass killings, approximately 86 Americans die each day by gunfire. This adds up to 30,000 a year, with 100,000 wounded - much more than are killed in America's endless wars each year. The country is at war with itself. The figures are appalling.

The U. S. has, by one explanation, an ongoing gun culture because it is a nation founded on the genocide of one race - Native Americans - and the enslavement of another - African Americans. Guns were needed to slaughter one people and to subjugate another. Hence, the tradition of gun possession became embedded in the American psyche.

But we also need to look at the recent history of the arms business in the nation. At the end of World War II the Allies had a huge surplus of still very usable guns. There was no ready market anywhere for these firearms but in the U.S., as no other large and wealthy nation would have them within their borders. Even more weapons became available in the 1950s, when NATO forces changed to uniform cartridges and relinquished a stockpile of outmoded rifles. These also flooded the U.S., were imported very cheaply, often at less than $1 apiece, and could be sold at a huge profit, but still inexpensive for a purchaser - the rifle that killed President Kennedy cost $12.78. Massive imports of weapons took place at a time when the country was in the midst of serious political crises, which often incited violence. All this was with massive advertising by the NRA on the joys of gun ownership. A typical ad of the era read, "MORE FUN ... with YOUR GUNS ... the Year Around!"

However, also needed is an answer to the phenomenon of the young white male misanthrope who hates and kills. Is it just untreated mental illness? If so, why is it affecting mostly young white males? Or are these crimes also largely drug induced? More analysis is needed on this tragic phenomenon, particularly from the perspective of the Marxist theory of alienation, whereby some citizens become estranged from their own humanity.

In the meantime, to protect ourselves we need a "National Commission on Hate Crimes and Mental Health;" the tightening of gun laws; a huge reduction of public access to guns; banning of sales of the most lethal guns, assault weapons, etc.; national restoration of the mental health system; and a banning of huge ammo clips -- for just a start.

http://www.peoplesworld.org/u-s-gun-culture-diagnosed-as-a-social-disease/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 13

Thanks for the post! I saw this somewhere else, it's happening...gun control...we better start finding civilian volunteers to start our own oversight committees against the threat of totalitarianism!

I have no more plusses UMBERTINO BUT PLUS 10!

Edited by brandyclark
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the post! I saw this somewhere else, it's happening...gun control...we better start finding civilian volunteers to start our own oversight committees against the threat of totalitarianism!

Thanks Brandy.. But I hold no merit... Mr. Bender wrote the article.

Edited by umbertino

Umbertino, you bring much to the table here theses days (and much better than the youtube music videos).

I don't think you understand The Second Amendment. Our Fore Fathers installed it so we could deal with a tyrannical government... you know, like Mussolini.

Get it now?

• Upvote 5

hahahaha So if you own a gun your mentally unstable Ya right. Umbert you little commie pal of mine. We have danced to this tune before I belive. We LAW abiding citizens have a right to be able to protect ourselves against the truly mentally unstable. Thanks for the post my little pinko pal.

Better dead then red Umber

• Upvote 5

WTF! I honestly don't know why he's taking hits on posting this article. Had he not posted it you guys may not have known what they are trying to do to your rights. WOW!

Thats not why he posted it Brandy. You cant really be that nieve or perhaps your just the kind of person who loves to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Umbert hates america He like to show us what fools we are. smile.gif

• Upvote 1

Thats not why he posted it Brandy. You cant really be that nieve or perhaps your just the kind of person who loves to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Umbert hates america He like to show us what fools we are. smile.gif

I dunno dog I thought about posting this same article I just didn't because I was under the impression that most people already knew there liberties were under attack. See i post all sort of shiz just to make people aware...just saying...

• Upvote 1

Gun rights of law abiding citizens have been under siege in this country for a long time. Nothing new.

I think most of us are aware of that. My deal is why are negs being handed out to a relayer of info???? If this info were to help just one person wake up to the threat of his liberties being taken away...well then...good on ya umbertino...keep it up in spite of all the negs...

I think most of us are aware of that. My deal is why are negs being handed out to a relayer of info???? If this info were to help just one person wake up to the threat of his liberties being taken away...well then...good on ya umbertino...keep it up in spite of all the negs...

You are a man who has a very hard time seeing the truth even when it is right in front of you. But I can also tell you speak what you truly belive is the truth for that I have nothing but respect.

The truth is that all of us gun owners in America who choose to excersise our Second Amendment rights, know that the way our government is headed, that they would love nothing more than to strip us of our guns. Reason being is so that we won't be able to retaliate should the need arise. It's okay for all the THUGS to have guns though. S-T-U-P-I-D !

The reason we own guns is to protect ourselves, our families, our homes and our businesses.............from THUGZ!

• Upvote 2

Your stock at my house just tanked 99.9%. Pure Bolvine fecal matter.

The truth is that all of us gun owners in America who choose to excersise our Second Amendment rights, know that the way our government is headed, that they would love nothing more than to strip us of our guns. Reason being is so that we won't be able to retaliate should the need arise. It's okay for all the THUGS to have guns though. S-T-U-P-I-D !

The reason we own guns is to protect ourselves, our families, our homes and our businesses.............from THUGZ!

And this oppressive government.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This article is someone trying to help out in creating gun control laws... It wouldn't be a social disease if parents would grow up and take responsibility for their children.... Just say no to that little 12 years old brat when he throws a fit because you would not buy him the new Grand Theft Auto....Not bashing the game because I love the game, I just know the difference between fantasy and reality... a 12 year old does not... gun control is a path to slavery of the masses. If you want less crime in the world start allowing civilians who under go gun safety training and have a permit to carry in the open then this will make criminals think twice about trying something stupid....if owning a gun is considered a social disease then I'm one sick SOB because It is my GOD given right to protect myself, my family, and my property by what every means necessary and I choose my guns for this protection because when someone breaks the door of my house at 3 in the morning I want to be able to reach out and welcome him with a clip of full metal jacket rounds...I love my freedom like I love my guns, just don't try to take either one of them and everything will be OK...

• Upvote 3

Your stock at my house just tanked 99.9%. Pure Bolvine fecal matter.

And this oppressive government.

WTF is happening! First off I probably own more firepower than all of you combined!!! I'm plussing him because he brought the matter to our attention. I'm a pro mfn number 2 all the way.

You are a man who has a very hard time seeing the truth even when it is right in front of you. But I can also tell you speak what you truly belive is the truth for that I have nothing but respect.

What are you talking about? I'm saying plus to Umber for posting an article of information. Has nothing to do with "seeing the truth". It's handing out information. That's all. I don't care if this article came from the left, middle, right, zionist, jihadist, mfn mossad...it's info that is all it is.

• Upvote 2

WTF is happening! First off I probably own more firepower than all of you combined!!! I'm plussing him because he brought the matter to our attention. I'm a pro mfn number 2 all the way.

What are you talking about? I'm saying plus to Umber for posting an article of information. Has nothing to do with "seeing the truth". It's handing out information. That's all. I don't care if this article came from the left, middle, right, zionist, jihadist, mfn mossad...it's info that is all it is.

Look if thats all you care to see well then so be it. cool . not a problemo. I choose to see umbert`s post (all his posts) as a collective of commie rubbush . So see it however you want and I will see it however I want.

• Upvote 1

Look if thats all you care to see well then so be it. cool . not a problemo. I choose to see umbert`s post (all his posts) as a collective of commie rubbush . So see it however you want and I will see it however I want.

I have to agree with dog53, we have to view it however we want. That's valid enough. That's the beauty of being different from each other. ;)