Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Over 200 Coal-Fired Generators To Be Closed

krome2ez

Report: More than 200 coal-fired generators slated for shutdown

Published: 11:29 PM 09/21/2012

By Michael Bastasch

coal-plants-300x162.jpg

Within the next three to five years, more than 200 coal-fired electric generating units will be shut down across 25 states due to EPA regulations and factors including cheap natural gas, according to a new report by the American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity (ACCCE).

“This is further evidence that EPA is waging a war on coal, and a war on affordable electricity prices and jobs. EPA continues to ignore the damage that its new regulations are causing to the U.S. economy and to states that depend on coal for jobs and affordable electricity,” said Mike Duncan, president and CEO of ACCCE, in a statement.

However, ACCCE notes that EPA policies may have played a role more than 4,800 megawatts of announced closures not included on in their report which would bring total shutdowns to 241 coal generator in 30 states — more than 36,000 MW of electric generation or 11 percent of the U.S. coal fleet.

The most affected states include Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina, which will see a combined 103 coal-fired generators shut down.

“Actually our utility rates are higher and the impact is such that it’s going to interfere with the quality of life that a lot of individuals have in my community,” said John McNeil, mayor of Red Springs, N.C., in an ACCCE video — one of the heavily affected states.

According to ACCCE, coal provides more than half of North Carolina’s power. Poorer areas, like Red Springs, where a number of residents are on fixed income or live below the poverty line, are adversely affected by higher electricity bills because they eat up a greater portion of their income.

“During my lifetime, Red Springs has gone through some fairly significant changes. We don’t have the large textile plants which provide employments opportunities for many people. We’ve just shifted away,” said John Roberts of John’s Fuel Service, also in Red Springs.

“Most people, their income is fixed,” Roberts continued.

“They can’t say ‘hey, I need fourteen dollars an hour as compared to twelve an hour to offset my energy price,’” he argued.

On Friday, the coal industry caught a slight break as the House voted 233 to 175 to stop the Obama administration’s so-called “war on coal,” passing a bill that would limit the EPA’s regulatory authority over greenhouse gases and limit the Interior Department’s ability to issue coal mining rules.

“Since taking office, the Obama Administration has waged a multi-front war on coal — on coal jobs, on the small businesses in the mining supply chain, and on the low-cost energy that millions of Americans rely upon,” said Washington Republican Rep. Doc Hastings on the House floor Thursday.

Earlier this week, coal company Alpha Natural Resources announced it would be laying off 1,200 workers and closing eight coal mines to face two new challenges: cheap natural gas and “a regulatory environment that’s aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal.”

“These lost jobs aren’t random events — they are the direct result of the policies and actions of the Obama Administration — these are the outcomes of their regulatory war on coal,” Hastings added.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/21/report-more-than-200-coal-fired-generators-slated-for-shutdown/#ixzz27ISNfk6q

• Upvote 3

By Michael Bastasch

coal-plants-300x162.jpg

Within the next three to five years, more than 200 coal-fired electric generating units will be shut down across 25 states due to EPA regulations and factors including cheap natural gas, according to a new report by the American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity (ACCCE).

“This is further evidence that EPA is waging a war on coal, and a war on affordable electricity prices and jobs. EPA continues to ignore the damage that its new regulations are causing to the U.S. economy and to states that depend on coal for jobs and affordable electricity,” said Mike Duncan, president and CEO of ACCCE, in a statement.

However, ACCCE notes that EPA policies may have played a role more than 4,800 megawatts of announced closures not included on in their report which would bring total shutdowns to 241 coal generator in 30 states — more than 36,000 MW of electric generation or 11 percent of the U.S. coal fleet.

The most affected states include Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina, which will see a combined 103 coal-fired generators shut down.

“Actually our utility rates are higher and the impact is such that it’s going to interfere with the quality of life that a lot of individuals have in my community,” said John McNeil, mayor of Red Springs, N.C., in an ACCCE video — one of the heavily affected states.

According to ACCCE, coal provides more than half of North Carolina’s power. Poorer areas, like Red Springs, where a number of residents are on fixed income or live below the poverty line, are adversely affected by higher electricity bills because they eat up a greater portion of their income.

“During my lifetime, Red Springs has gone through some fairly significant changes. We don’t have the large textile plants which provide employments opportunities for many people. We’ve just shifted away,” said John Roberts of John’s Fuel Service, also in Red Springs.

“Most people, their income is fixed,” Roberts continued.

“They can’t say ‘hey, I need fourteen dollars an hour as compared to twelve an hour to offset my energy price,’” he argued.

On Friday, the coal industry caught a slight break as the House voted 233 to 175 to stop the Obama administration’s so-called “war on coal,” passing a bill that would limit the EPA’s regulatory authority over greenhouse gases and limit the Interior Department’s ability to issue coal mining rules.

“Since taking office, the Obama Administration has waged a multi-front war on coal — on coal jobs, on the small businesses in the mining supply chain, and on the low-cost energy that millions of Americans rely upon,” said Washington Republican Rep. Doc Hastings on the House floor Thursday.

Earlier this week, coal company Alpha Natural Resources announced it would be laying off 1,200 workers and closing eight coal mines to face two new challenges: cheap natural gas and “a regulatory environment that’s aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal.”

“These lost jobs aren’t random events — they are the direct result of the policies and actions of the Obama Administration — these are the outcomes of their regulatory war on coal,” Hastings added.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/21/report-more-than-200-coal-fired-generators-slated-for-shutdown/#ixzz27ISNfk6q

ASININE, GET RID OF THESE COMMIE SCUMBAGS!!.... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ! For all you people that are going to vote for these guys, I hope your lights go out this winter when it zero out and your furnace won't start !!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks kromez2ez, Are these a Few Swing States!! The most affected states include Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina, which will see a combined 103 coal-fired generators shut down. :unsure:

Most, if not all of those are swing States (not sure about W Virginia)

OBAMA'S WAR ON COAL COSTS HIM THE MINERS' UNION

by NICK MASCARI

We have told you several times about the Barack Obama War on Coal and the damage it is doing in coal country. Despite ridiculous efforts by his minions to convince us otherwise, Obama's policies are destroying jobs. Just last week, another 239 Ohioans were laid off because of Obama's determination to bankrupt the coal industry.

"This is a sad day for all of us, and particularly Mr. Robert E. Murray, the Founder of OhioAmerican," said Mr. Piasecki. "He is so distraught that he came to the Mine and personally announced the layoffs to each of the employees," he added. "Mr. Murray created OhioAmerican, and our production began in May, 2007," said Mr. Piasecki. The Mine was intended to last for at least ten (10) years. Now we have been forced by our own Country's President and his followers and supporters to permanently close the operation," added Mr. Piasecki.

It has gotten so bad in areas dependent on coal, that even the unions in the area are holding back their endorsement. The United Mine Workers is full of hard core Democrats. They endorsed warm-monger Al Gore in 2000, Kerry in 2004, and even endorsed Obama in 2008. The Democrat running for President could always count on this union's endorsement, even an anti-fossil fuel candidate like Gore. But Barack Obama has done so much damage, that they are sitting it out this year.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/08/09/Obama-s-War-on-Coal-costs-him-the-miner-s-union

Edited by cris
  • Upvote 1

What i cant believe is that 4 years ago obama said he was gonna do this, yet most of these effected states, if not all of them voted for obama. There is your change, so much for the hope. Many more jobs will be lost as well as the obvious loss in power sources.

Has anyone heard the media mention that more nuclear plants are being built? Bet most people are not aware of that.

• Upvote 1

What i cant believe is that 4 years ago obama said he was gonna do this, yet most of these effected states, if not all of them voted for obama. There is your change, so much for the hope. Many more jobs will be lost as well as the obvious loss in power sources.

Has anyone heard the media mention that more nuclear plants are being built? Bet most people are not aware of that.

You're right...O'blah very clearly did say that. <_<

I hadnt heard about Nuclear Plants being built, where's that happening?

• Upvote 1

I was in class a couple of weeks ago and a young man from TN had worked in the coal mines back there. While in class he recieved several text that several large mines in TN and KY had closed. Now I understand why. This is crazy. Thousands are without jobs in a time when every job counts. The jobs in these communities are the only real money that comes in to support the areas. Now there will be nothing and we will see more and more ghost towns or towns where the men have left to find work and the women and children remain behind. There is nothing good about this move.

You're right...O'blah very clearly did say that. <_<

I hadnt heard about Nuclear Plants being built, where's that happening?

Georgia, first one built in 30 years, union workers, hmmm rolleyes.gif

No media coverage except local, guess barry would not be too popular if people found out.

I told my aunt about it, she drove a VW bug in the 60's with a no nukes bumper sticker and she is still going to vote for him. Thank goodness she is the only one in the family laugh.gif

The United Mine Workers is full of hard core Democrats. They endorsed warm-monger Al Gore in 2000, Kerry in 2004, and even endorsed Obama in 2008. The Democrat running for President could always count on this union's endorsement, even an anti-fossil fuel candidate like Gore. But Barack Obama has done so much damage, that they are sitting it out this year.

I was feeling kinda bad for these people, until I read the above. But hey, they voted for the idiot, they voted for "change" and they got what they deserve. No, if, ands, or butts. Even when they knew a Democrat would kill their industry, they still voted for him. Hard luck had nothing to do with it, stupidity did. They really have no right to gripe, they did it to themselves. Now, as for the peripheral results of higher prices and less income to communities, I have sympathy for those that didn't vote Democrat. Anyone dumb enough to vote for a party, even if that party says they will hurt or kill your industry, deserves what they get, good or bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I was feeling kinda bad for these people, until I read the above. But hey, they voted for the idiot, they voted for "change" and they got what they deserve. No, if, ands, or butts. Even when they knew a Democrat would kill their industry, they still voted for him. Hard luck had nothing to do with it, stupidity did. They really have no right to gripe, they did it to themselves. Now, as for the peripheral results of higher prices and less income to communities, I have sympathy for those that didn't vote Democrat. Anyone dumb enough to vote for a party, even if that party says they will hurt or kill your industry, deserves what they get, good or bad.

It really is amazing isnt it?....I meet so many people that vote

Democrat, when their viewpoint is Conservative....They have no

idea what the Democrats stand for, even though they arent trying

to hide their agenda anymore.....its fully visible for anyone to see

if their eyes are open. <_<

• Upvote 2

A Few Caveats Regarding Timing. pg. 7

NY Times first 3 paragraphs.

Court orders going back 20 years. Subtitle, "Anatomy of a Revolt".

EPA clean air rules are long overdue, Industry Exec's conclude. Wall Street Journal.

For over a decade, companies have recognized that the industry would need to install controls to comply with the act's air toxicity requirements, and the technology exists to cost effectively control such emissions, including mercury and acid gases. The EPA is now under a court deadline to finalize that rule before the end of 2011 because of the previous delays.

To suggest that plants are retiring because of the EPA's regulations fails to recognize that lower power prices and depressed demand are the primary retirement drivers. The units retiring are generally small, old and inefficient. These retirements are long overdue. [
Wall Street Journal
] [
Wall Street Journal
]

August 8th of last year Congressional Research says older coal plants are being replaced with cleaner cheaper natural gas, "almost regardless of EPA rules." Pg. 2 last paragraph.

EPA's modeling confirmed that the plants likely to be retired are older, smaller, and less frequently used... pg. 29 paragraph 2.

"These regulations will not kill coal".......... Pg 41

And finally......

Coal jobs have been steady recently. Job Growth in the Mining Ind.

coaljobsUS.png?a=62

Thank former Pres. Bush for placing these Clean Air Act statues into effect.

• Upvote 1

SEE this is the shiz we need to be protesting on the steps in person at the Capitol. This is sick. FN EPA. Seriously, whats INTERESTING is OBAMA funded Petrobus down in Brazil a couple years ago while closing drilling here. ANYWAYS WE NEED TO START MAKING A PHYSICAL PRESENCE ALL THE TIME.

AND ROMNEY IS NOT THE ANSWER.

PITCHFORKS!

Well they are going to get what they voted for if this thug gets reelected.

By Michael Bastasch

coal-plants-300x162.jpg

I'M AFRAID IGNORANCE MAY BE CATCHING...

You see, unlike most of you Obama haters who think they know this issue, I have worked with Carol Browner of the EPA personally. I have studied the issue. Ignorance means you don't know you're breathing mercury from coal - an extremely powerful nerve toxin, not to mention destroying our forests from acid rain and polluting our streams in mining areas - just ask West Virginians who live there (not fat-butted conservatives watching FOX).

What re you gonna do with "My Job!" when you get lung cancer and rain turns to acid and your trees die?

(I'm leaving climate change out here...)

Will our furnaces go out? No, another MYTH. They'll be fueled with cleaner fuel like natural gas, because LIBERALS have the 'nads to do the right thing while all you repugs caterwaul like screaming cats in a room full of rocking chairs.

Pathetic.

Edited by hame55
  • Downvote 1