Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

English language

delta22

A German, looking for directions in Paris, pulls up to a bus stop where two Americans are waiting.

“Entschuldigung, sprechen Sie Deutsch?” he asks. The two Americans just stare at him.

“Parlez-vous français?” he says.

The two continue to stare, so the German tries again “Parlate italiano?”

No response. “¿Hablan ustedes español?” Still nothing. Frustrated, the German guy drives off.

The first American says, “You know, we should learn a foreign language.”

“Why?” asks the other. “He knew four languages, and it didn’t do him any good.”

• Upvote 3

Not sure what the point of the joke is, but I can attest that knowing more than one language has many substantial benefits. The most being you begin to understand and appreciate other cultures and the world around you . . .

If anyone here hasn't learned another language for any reason, I recommend they do. It's a great personal achievement and is admirable.

Edited by rightsonword

Not sure what the point of the joke is, but I can attest that knowing more than one language has many substantial benefits. The most being you begin to understand and appreciate other cultures and the world around you . . .

If anyone here hasn't learned another language for any reason, I recommend they do. It's a great personal achievement and is admirable.

+1 Rightsonword!

It was a joke . you know ha ha Most dont really have a point . They just make you laugh.

te entiendo ?

haha Totally agreed, dog53. I taught college English for many years, and although I could write treatise on the importance of learning English, I don't know another language, and I have often regretted that gap in my education. But even I found the humor in this little joke. It lifted my mood until I had to justify laughing about it. But then you gave my laughter back to me. Thanks. Much!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Agreed.

Other than that... Joke was cool.

Edited by umbertino

I speak read and write 5 languages fluently and am conversational in 2 more. I still think the joke is funny and on another level,:P knowing Europe and Germans very well he would have asked in English,since no one in Europe has a problem identifying Americans. Sad fact !

• Upvote 2

I speak read and write 5 languages fluently and am conversational in 2 more. I still think the joke is funny and on another level,:P knowing Europe and Germans very well he would have asked in English,since no one in Europe has a problem identifying Americans. Sad fact !

Congrats. Learning and speaking other languages besides our very own is fantastic.

Edited by umbertino

Wherever I go, I try to learn the essential questions such as "where is the restroom". It works well as long as they can point out where it is. If it's anything like "take the stairs on the left, turn right at the top and it's the second door on the right.", then I'm in trouble.

But of course there's an app for that now.

Edited by magawatt

It was a joke . you know ha ha Most dont really have a point . They just make you laugh.

te entiendo ?

I think you mean "entiendes?" as in, "Do you understand?"

Never said it wasn't funny. A bit ignorant, yes, but still a little humorous . . .

That's awesome. What languages are you fluent in and how did you learn them, if I may ask?

I think you mean "entiendes?" as in, "Do you understand?"

Never said it wasn't funny. A bit ignorant, yes, but still a little humorous . . .

That's awesome. What languages are you fluent in and how did you learn them, if I may ask?

No I meant exactly what I said. hahahahaha and to be honest nobody here really cares weather you found it humorous or not.

How do you say "go away" in japanese

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No I meant exactly what I said. hahahahaha and to be honest nobody here really cares weather you found it humorous or not.

How do you say "go away" in japanese

Considering that 'te entiendo' means, "I understand you" or "DO I understand you" since you ûsed a question mark, your use of the phrase makes no since contextually how you used it. If you're going to argue over the semantics of a language, I'd recommend not doing it with someone who knows said language.

Perhaps nobody does care what IT thought about the joke, but you seemed to cared enough to comment to comment on two of my posts and you felt the need to let me know it was a joke.

So, how do you say pwned in 'dog?'